Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,749 members, 7,820,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. (1944 Views)

My 2-Year-Old Daughter Is Using Foul Words / The Father Of My 2 Kids Took Them Away From Me Unlawfully, Deceitfully / My Wife Hates Sex And Prefers I Masturbate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Kamsi04: 1:41pm On Oct 22, 2021
Hello....

Please I'm in a dilemma, my 2year old refuses to write,even coloring is work to her. She holds pencil very well but hates the idea of writing anything. Her teacher also complains about it.

I really do not know how to go about it.
Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Freestainworld(m): 1:48pm On Oct 22, 2021
Continue teaching her, I don't want her to emulate Buharis handwriting, if not you will only be seeing cows on her papers.

4 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by mariahAngel(f): 1:52pm On Oct 22, 2021
Freestainworld:
Continue teaching her, I don't want her to emulate Buharis handwriting, if not you will only be seeing cows on her papers.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha grin

Parents these days are so much in a hurry.
One moment they just had a baby, the next moment they want them graduated already.

Op, calm down and keep teaching her, and with time she'll start to like it.
Don't be too anxious. Enjoy the process.

Although, it is a bit of a worry that she hates colouring. Children at that stage, especially girls love drawing and colouring. undecided

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 22, 2021
Kamsi04:
Hello....

Please I'm in a dilemma, my 2year old refuses to write,even coloring is work to her. She holds pencil very well but hates the idea of writing anything. Her teacher also complains about it.

I really do not know how to go about it.
Then you should lead by example. Take notes and write things down. Also colour/paint stuff.

Do all these with joy then see her follow suit

2 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by ahnie: 2:17pm On Oct 22, 2021
Different tales for different folks.
Meanwhile somewhere in ASABA,I just discovered that since the resumption of schools my 4yrs old son hasn't written anything in class, hasn't even come home with homefun .this is someone that reads and write excellently.

The teacher said and I quote**Anytime I called him to come write,he looks at me and throws his face away...so I kuku leavam,maybe he know like my face.

After a few shakes up here and there from me,my husband to both my son and the teacher,he appeared today from school with home fun.

2 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Sonnobax15(m): 2:54pm On Oct 22, 2021
undecided
Some parents self undecided. Wetin small pikin of 2 years don know wey go make person carry am go school? undecided. I won't even be surprised to hear that the child's school fees will be very expensive undecided

6 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Jesuisbelle(f): 3:31pm On Oct 22, 2021
She is just two, let her play, that is what 2 year old does. Let's kids be kids biko

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by CareerMom: 3:40pm On Oct 22, 2021
It's too early for her to be writing na. What kind of teacher or school is that? They don't know what they are doing there. Please take her to a montessori school. She is only supposed to be scribbling at this age.

1 Like

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 4:19am On Oct 23, 2021
Maybe you're not making it interesting for her.

Try getting her coloring books with her favorite cartoon characters. That way the interest is built and she's encouraged.

Coloring will also help firm her pixa grip further and enable her to write more as I think she still needs to exercise her pixa grip with that, considering her age (2) because it looks like she was not properly drilled on that before rushing her to start writing.

Also, get her plain sheet of paper, let her express herself freely with scribbling. I know this might sound odd but trust me it works as this develops and increases her interest and flare for writing.

1 Like

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by greatiyk4u(m): 4:37am On Oct 23, 2021
@just 2 and you are worried?

All these hurry hurry, where una dey go?
Intelligence is hereditary and follow come, nurture improves and from it, it is not how early that matters

Can that child articulate sentences at this age?

5 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Mindlog: 4:50am On Oct 23, 2021
Writing at 2 years old? No!

Rather it should be colouring and controlled scribbling for now before transiting to writing. Writing is a developmental, so it is a process.

Make colouring a fun activity for her at home. You as the parent go on the floor and be doing some colouring of your own while you animate your face, she will be drawn to sit beside you and want also to colour! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Cousin9999: 4:56am On Oct 23, 2021
Calm down, op.

2 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 4:59am On Oct 23, 2021
CareerMom:
It's too early for her to be writing na. What kind of teacher or school is that? They don't know what they are doing there. Please take her to a montessori school. She is only supposed to be scribbling at this age.

Which Montessori? Montessori that don't start writing until they are five when their pixa grip is already stiff, making it very difficult to write the curved letters and numbers.

I know how many parents ( whose wards were in montessori ) contracted me because Im specialized in that area, and paid through their nose just to take their wards in writing lessons after age five because it wasn't an easy task.

I know what I saw. Their pixas were so stiff that I had to start by doing the pixa grip exercise where they wriggle the fingers, do massages and other little exercises we do before we start. Sometimes too I hold their fingers and pray on it lol.. it wasn't easy but within a month they started writing and the parents were amazed and linked me to more parents. Before you know it, they withdrew their wards from Montessori and put them in schools using British curriculum.

It's good to start early otherwise you'll pay more in the end. Imagine, that time (2014)I was charging the parents 25k per child just to teach them how to write and I only take them twice a week.

Montessori is over hyped. With all those their overly expensive materials and objects. That's where all the money goes into.

1 Like

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by elmagnifico411(m): 5:41am On Oct 23, 2021
What is education becoming these days? You want your child to write @ 2? What's going on here?! Let kids be kids, biko. Some of u were still sucking even @ 2, now u want your wards to write @ dat 2. Make una go siddon abeg. In a saner clime, no school for these children until dey turn 4 and dey still become better and more independent in future than Naina kids. We need to calm down oh.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Hathor5(f): 6:54am On Oct 23, 2021
Mercychen:

Which Montessori? Montessori that don't start writing until they are five when their pixa grip is already stiff, making it very difficult to write the curved letters and numbers.

I know how many parents ( whose wards were in montessori ) contracted me because Im specialized in that area, and paid through their nose just to take their wards in writing lessons after age five because it wasn't an easy task.

I know what I saw. Their pixas were so stiff that I had to start by doing the pixa grip exercise where they wriggle the fingers, do massages and other little exercises we do before we start. Sometimes too I hold their fingers and pray on it lol.. it wasn't easy but within a month they start writing and the parents were amazed and linked me to more parents. Before you know it, they withdrew their wards from Montessori and put them in schools using British curriculum.

It's good to start early otherwise you'll pay more in the end. Imagine, that time (2014)I was charging the parents 25k per child just to teach them to write and I only take them twice a week.

Montessori is over hyped. With all those their overly expensive materials and objects. That's where all the money goes into.

It's enough to start writing at 5.

The British curriculum that you so praise is taught in countries where kids start school around the age of 5.

5 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Hathor5(f): 6:56am On Oct 23, 2021
CareerMom:

Exactly!

1 Like

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 23, 2021
Hathor5:

It's enough to start writing at 5.

The British curriculum that you so praise is taught in countries where kids start school around the age of 5.

Well?? But down here that's what is commonly used where children start school at 1+.
Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Hathor5(f): 7:24am On Oct 23, 2021
Mercychen:

Well?? But down here that's what is commonly used where children start school at 1+.

School at 1+ is nonsense and waste of money.

5 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by ETIIKO: 7:32am On Oct 23, 2021
Right now my daughter is one year right months, she can identify items in a text book, and hold pencil very well, scrabbling in any books she finds, as she is scrabbling she is saying Aaaaaaaaa, bbbbbbb yyyyyyy Zzzzzzzz after that she clapped for her self.
Reason is right from when she started crawling I get an old text book for her and myself and my wife do read for her and at the same time when iam writing I give her biro to write also; today, she has not started school yet, a day will not pass without looking for her textbook to read if she see anyone writing she comes to meet either my wife or me to give her her writing book and pencil.
My neighbor get jealous of us, because his 3 year 7 month child cannot write and cannot Identify anything. We do advice them to give the boy time and inform him ahead of time that he will soon be writing.
Please use book and any educational materials and play with your child.
Thank you

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Mindlog: 7:33am On Oct 23, 2021
Mercychen:

At 1+ is so wrong having toddlers in a school! Even in Kenya, a child has no business being registered in a school until they clock 3+/4 years.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Mindlog: 7:42am On Oct 23, 2021
ETIIKO:
Right now my daughter is one year right months, she can identify items in a text book, and hold pencil very well, scrabbling in any books she finds, as she is scrabbling she is saying Aaaaaaaaa, bbbbbbb yyyyyyy Zzzzzzzz after that she clapped for her self.
Reason is right from when she started crawling I get an old text book for her and myself and my wife do read for her and at the same time when iam writing I give her biro to write also; today, she has not started school yet, a day will not pass without looking for her textbook to read if she see anyone writing she comes to meet either my wife or me to give her her writing book and pencil.
My neighbor get jealous of us, because his 3 year 7 month child cannot write and cannot Identify anything. We do advice them to give the boy time and inform him ahead of time that he will soon be writing.
Please use book and any educational materials and play with your child.
Thank you

I hope your neighbour's child who can not identify anything is not experiencing delays in vocabulary development?

If in the next 3 months there isn't remarkable improvement, please encourage the parents to seek the professional intervention of a Clinical Child Psychologist for assessment and individualized treatment.

1 Like

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 7:43am On Oct 23, 2021
Hathor5:

Exactly!

Story!

When you come down here, youll see the challenge parents are facing because their wards cant compete with children their age who started writing earlier.

Some schools won't even admit a child into a class her age because the child cant compete with his/her peers due to the standard they operate. They mostly suggest putting them in a lower class and this can be very frustrating for most parents especially when changing the childs school from the so called Montessori. This makes them opt for extra lessons on writing for their ward just so they can be at par with other children.

Most Montessori schools are no longer thriving in Nigeria these days.

Make una dey there dey ask questions.
Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 23, 2021
Mindlog:

At 1+ is so wrong having toddlers in a school! Even in Kenya, a child has no business being registered in a school until they clock 3+/4 years.

It's the parents faults so blame it on them.

The competition is high among parents here. They start stylishly from dumping them at the creche so they can have time for work and all that. Before you know it, they are requesting for Uniform and all because they feel the money paid for babysitting ( @ the creche) is a waste. Therefore they want the child to start learning so the money can be well utilized.

1 Like

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 23, 2021
Hathor5:

School at 1+ is nonsense and waste of money.

You think so. They don't.
Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Hathor5(f): 9:43am On Oct 23, 2021
Mercychen:

You think so. They don't.

Thinking ko, guessing ni.

There is enough research and knowledge from different fields like child development psychology, neurology etc. to tell you what is appropriate at what age. Even the Chinese who drill their kids like soldiers don't start school before the age of 6.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Hathor5(f): 9:46am On Oct 23, 2021
Mercychen:

Story!

When you come down here, youll see the challenge parents are facing because their wards cant compete with children their age who started writing earlier.

Some schools won't even admit a child into a class her age because the child cant compete with his/her peers due to the standard they operate. They mostly suggest putting them in a lower class and this can be very frustrating for most parents especially when changing the childs school from the so called Montessori. This makes them opt for extra lessons on writing for their ward just so they can be at par with other children.

They are not meant to compete against their peers. They are meant to develop at their natural and individual pace.

6 Likes

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 23, 2021
Hathor5:

Thinking ko, guessing ni.

There is enough research and knowledge from different fields like child development psychology, neurology etc. to tell you what is appropriate at what age. Even the Chinese who drill their kids like soldiers don't start school before the age of 6.

Tell it to the school owners. Until then, na theory you de yarn. tongue
Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 23, 2021
Hathor5:

They are not meant to compete against their peers. They are meant to develop at their natural and individual pace.

Direct it to the parents who want their wards to be reading Cambridge at 2.
Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Hathor5(f): 10:23am On Oct 23, 2021
Mercychen:

Direct it to the parents who want their wards to be reading Cambridge at 2.

I have no business telling parents anything. I was responding to the OP and to you who makes it look like it is normal to write at 2. It's not.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by dustydee: 12:10pm On Oct 23, 2021
Mercychen:

Story!

This should not be about competition but proper development. I am learning a lot about education from my kids and they way they are being thought. When I learnt my friends kids back home were already reading and doing maths, I was a bit worried but now I appreciate the system here. EVERYTHING they teach or do and how they do it is DELIBERATE. They seem to have researched most aspect of child development and are methodical about it unlike in Nigeria where everything goes and it's more about parents competing with each other on their children's behalf. My 2 year old cannot read or write. When he turns 5, he will start school and learn to read and write the right way. I never knew there was a way to write each letter until when I home schooled my children during the lockdown. I "crammed" the letters of the alphabet but my children were taught the "art" of writing. They were never thought A-Z. There is a sequence in which it was thought using phonics. For example they could start witth the "ah" sound and move to the "Ee" sound.
The Nigerian government needs to step up and regulate the educational sector and weed out all these quacks. I now know why most of the Nigerians that schooled in UK Universities struggle while those here appear to go through effortlessly.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 23, 2021
dustydee:

This should not be about competition but proper development. I am learning a lot about education from my kids and they way they are being thought. When I learnt my friends kids back home were already reading and doing maths, I was a bit worried but now I appreciate the system here. EVERYTHING they teach or do and how they do it is DELIBERATE. They seem to have researched most aspect of child development and are methodical about it unlike in Nigeria where everything goes and it's more about parents competing with each other on their children's behalf. My 2 year old cannot read or write. When he turns 5, he will start school and learn to read and write the right way. I never knew there was a way to write each letter until when I home schooled my children during the lockdown. I "crammed" the letters of the alphabet but my children were taught the "art" of writing. They were never thought A-Z. There is a sequence in which it was thought using phonics. For example they could start witth the "ah" sound and move to the "Ee" sound.
The Nigerian government needs to step up and regulate the educational sector and weed out all these quacks. I now know why most of the Nigerians that schooled in UK Universities struggle while those here appear to go through effortlessly.

Very correct!

50% of the problem in the Nigerian educational system is from the parents. And it more prevalent in private schools because they believe they are paying you therefore they have the right to call the shots.
The schools on the other hand are protecting their own selfish interest ( money) so nobody is willing to do the right thing any longer.
Re: My 2 Year Old Hates Writing. by Nobody: 1:21pm On Oct 23, 2021

6 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Cousin Is Gei / Marriage A Second Time Around Too Same Guy / Would You Want Your Son Or Daughter To Be Like U?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.