Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,355 members, 7,836,457 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government (19305 Views)

Court Freezes All Abia State Government Accounts In 27 Banks / Court Freezes Accounts Linked To Ex-governor, Ambode, Over N9.9bn Alleged Fraud / High Court Freezes INEC Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by garfield1: 3:37pm On Oct 29, 2021
A Federal High Court, Abuja has made an interim order, freezing all bank accounts of Benue State Government maintained in some banks in the country following its inability to pay back N333 million loan borrowed in 2008.

Justice Inyang Ekwo, who gave the order following an ex-parte motion brought by the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), also directed that the bank accounts of HPPS Multilink Services Ltd be frozen pending the hearing and the determination of the substantive suit.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that while AMCON is the claimant, the company and the state government are 1st and 2nd respondents respectively.

READ ALSO: Alleged P&ID Scam: Court grants ex-director, Grace Taiga, N30m bail
NAN reports that the affected bank accounts for the two respondents are domiciled with Access Bank Plc; Citibank Nigeria Limited; Eco Bank Nigeria Plc; Fidelity Bank Plc; First Bank Nigeria Plc; First City Monument Bank Plc and Guaranty Trust Bank Pic.

Others include those in Heritage Bank Plc; Keystone Bank Limited; Polaris Bank Limited; Stanbic IBTC Plc; Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria Limited; Sterling Bank Plc; Suntrust Bank Nigeria Limited; Union Bank of Nigeria Plc; United Bank for Africa Plc; Unity Bank Nigeria Plc; Wema Bank Plc and Zenith Bank Plc.

The ex-parte motion, with suit number: FHC/ABJ/AMC/74/2021 dated and filed on Sept. 30, was moved by Counsel to AMCON, Darlington Ozurumba.

The motion prayed for five reliefs.

The court also made an interim order “freezing and attaching the JAAC Bank Accounts (Joint Accounts Allocation committee), Internal Generated Revenue Accounts, all bank accounts both current, savings, fixed deposits and/or investments accounts of the 2nd respondent (Benue Government) maintained with all the banks mentioned above pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.

“An interim order is hereby made restraining all banks and/or other financial institutions above mentioned in Nigeria forthwith from releasing or dealing in any manner howsoever with monies held in any account to which the respondents are signatories pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.

“An order is hereby made directing all banks and/or other financial institutions in Nigeria to, within seven (7) days of the date of service of this order, file and serve an affidavit of compliance disclosing with statement on each account howsoever designated, held and/or maintained by the respondents and ail accounts to which the respondents are signatories for a period of sic months prior to the date of service of this order till date.”

Meanwhile, in the affidavit in support of the motion deposed to by Abubakar Isa, a staff of AMCON, the corporation described the loan as a toxic loan of eligible bank assets transfered to it by law to recover.

AMCON told the court that the 1st respondent (the firm), which has its office in Kaduna State, had collected a N333 million loan facility from Bank PHB PLC (now Keystone Bank Ltd) on Jan. 31, 2008 “for the purpose of purchasing 5, 000 pieces of motorcycles to the 2nd defendant and its workers through the Nigeria Labour Congress of its state vide an irrevocable standing payment order (ISPO}.

“That the 2nd respondent is the state government of the beneficiaries who equally gave ISPO guarantee for the repayment of the loan through deduction from the salaries of its workers and make payment to the bank but failed to do so.

“That the loan was for the agreed period of 24 months at the interest of 19 per cent per annum.

“That the loan granted to the respondents has crystalized to the sum of seven hundred and eighty four million, three hundred and forty thousand, five hundred and twenty eight naira, three kobo (N784, 340, 428.03) as at 2014 from the sum of N333,000,000 (Three hundred and thirty three million naira) granted to the 1st defendant in 2008 and guaranteed by the 2nd defendant as contained in the letter of Aug. 15, 2014 which represents the interest and the principal sum as at Aug. 15, 2014 and same has remained unpaid till date.”

Justice Ekwo then adjourned the matter until Nov. 2 for mention.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/court-freezes-bank-accounts-of-benue-govt-firm-over-failure-to-pay-back-loan/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiRneHl6u_zAhUHnhQKHWLFDFgQFnoECAEQAg&usg=AOvVaw1EO_md3O0WNiRgamm-q-E0

2 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by Officialgarri: 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2021
As much as we know, the state Government account is tantamount to Ortom's personal bank account. Afterall, he doesn't pay his worker's salary nor pay to improve the security of his village talk more of his LGA or entire state.

But soon he will come to insult the President in faraway Abuja and then divert the people's attention from the unpaid suffering workers.

I played my part to ensure Suswam was kicked out, hoping Ortom would be better.......Ortom has however proven to be a failure just like Suswam

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by fergie001: 3:40pm On Oct 29, 2021
Suswammmmmmmmmmmmmm shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by helinues: 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2021
Kogi and Kwara state are both in NC yet they have been having their ways of dealing with killer herdsmen. Why is Benue state story different?

So Gana was taken out just like that, that was after reaching an agreement with Ortom to surrender. How did the security officers who later killed him got to know about his( Gana's movement) at that moment for the fact that he has been been on wanted list for years?

Ortom is as clueless as Buhari when it comes to security issues

13 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by garfield1: 3:50pm On Oct 29, 2021
This funds is enough for ORTom to pay workers arrears for a month

2 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by AntiBMC(m): 4:28pm On Oct 29, 2021
Okay. Another act of pettiness from the totally vindictive, incompetent govt.

All these attacks because Ortom has been calling out Bulhari and his terr0rist cousins. Rvbbish.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by toujurs: 4:59pm On Oct 29, 2021
Witch hunting, pure wickedness

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by garfield1: 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2021
AntiBMC:
Okay. Another act of pettiness from the totally vindictive, incompetent govt.

All these attacks because Ortom has been calling out Bulhari and his terr0rist cousins. Rvbbish.

What rubbish talk is this? Are you ok? Is Benue owing amcon or not? Why can't ortom pay salaries

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by West2019(m): 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2021
garfield1:
This funds is enough for ORTom to pay workers arrears for a month
keep silent and read and understand the content before comment

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by MRDEE01: 5:00pm On Oct 29, 2021
ok

My account has been frozen since abeg.

Hello nairalanders.
I am an experienced bolt driver based in abuja.

I am looking for a partner who can provide me a car to drive on Bolt platform,either on weekly remittance or hire purchase basis.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by garfield1: 5:01pm On Oct 29, 2021
West2019:
keep silent and read and understand the content before comment

Remind me who the op is again?

3 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by JAMO84: 5:01pm On Oct 29, 2021
Problem for Ortom

Benue workers in trouble
Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by tradepunter: 5:02pm On Oct 29, 2021
Ok
Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by puzzlegate(m): 5:02pm On Oct 29, 2021
Hope this is not vindictive action against the Governor because of his stand against open grazing ?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by Penguin2: 5:03pm On Oct 29, 2021
This order is too harsh na
Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by MarveworldG: 5:03pm On Oct 29, 2021
Haaa
Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:04pm On Oct 29, 2021
louqas:

Is his state the only state ravaged by fulani herdsmen ?
the major question here: Is he the only governor that borrowed without refunding
Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by cybluesky(m): 5:04pm On Oct 29, 2021
Most of us don't read....the loan was taken in 2008 and the case was filed by amcon...let's stop mentioning buhari/Orton in a purely isolated case.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by EnemyofGod22(m): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2021
My state ? I can not take this.

God and satan doesn't exist.

Know this and have peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2021
Officialgarri:
As much as we know, the state Government account is tantamount Ortom's personal bank account. Afterall, he doesn't pay his worker's salary nor pay to improve the security of his village talk more of his LGA or entire state.

But soon he will come to insult the President in faraway Abuja and then divert the people's attention from the unpaid suffering workers.

I played my part to ensure Suswam was kicked out, hoping Ortom would be better.......Ortom has however proven to be a failure just like Suswam
You talk as if Buhari cares about the people grin grin grin

So now that all the accounts are freezed, who is going to pay these people

we all know that this is nothing but witch-hunting! All because he is exposing Buhari's evil agenda in Nigeria!

Hmmm so let me ask you, what about Yahaya Bello

How much did he borrow

How much was paid back

Can you point to his achievement(s)

Hmmm hmmmm

May we never experience a vengeful president in the person of Buhari again! Amen!

6 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by topoftheworld(m): 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2021
Officialgarri:
As much as we know, the state Government account is tantamount Ortom's personal bank account. Afterall, he doesn't pay his worker's salary nor pay to improve the security of his village talk more of his LGA or entire state.

Benue state had not been fortunate with good Governor before. I think they should give their Idoma counterparts a chance to run the state government and let see if there would be any changes

6 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by garfield1: 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2021
puzzlegate:
Hope this is not vindictive action against the Governor because of his stand against open grazing ?

Was Benue state owing or not

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by aloma007(m): 5:06pm On Oct 29, 2021
Officialgarri:

We know you APC media defenders whenever we read your posts.
Stop this sentimental talks for your future sake.
Remember tomorrow might turn to be sour moment away from today's beautiful weather.

You only need to prove through your posts how buhari's performance betters that of Ortom.
I know you will be backing Ortom now if he's the one paying you to defend him online.
Nigeria has no better future with such a you trading your future for tokens

8 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by garfield1: 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2021
cybluesky:
Most of us don't read....the loan was taken in 2008 and the case was filed by amcon...let's stop mentioning buhari/Orton in a purely isolated case.

From the post,close to the owed some was frozen.if Benue have such amounts in the bank,why can't ortom use it to offset arrears?

1 Like

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by seborrhic: 5:09pm On Oct 29, 2021
Has Kano,Kaduna,Katsina been servicing their own loans?
But of course Benue State is easy pickings to score a political point.
Asides Lagos and maybe Rivers,Akwa Ibom and Anambra states,I doubt any state government in Nigeria is diligently servicing it's loans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by IgiveLadiesBj(m): 5:10pm On Oct 29, 2021
MRDEE01:
ok

My account has been frozen since abeg.

Hello nairalanders.
I am an experienced bolt driver based in abuja.

I am looking for a partner who can provide me a car to drive on Bolt platform,either on weekly remittance or hire purchase basis.

Thank you.

Post on this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/2653841/uber-partner-lagos-please-share
Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by Handsum64: 5:11pm On Oct 29, 2021
Ortom is a criminal enabling bandits to justify the loot of security votes.

2 Likes

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by sureboykris(m): 5:17pm On Oct 29, 2021
Never a dull moment in this our country. God help us
Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 29, 2021
The fight is against ortom.
Or was he the governor in 2008?
This government hates criticism and they were full of propaganda and criticism prior 2015

1 Like

Re: Court Freezes Account Of Benue State Government by aspabay(m): 5:20pm On Oct 29, 2021
Governor fiam fiam will soon blame Buhari for this

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Not Involved In Plot To Impeach Me - Nyako / Govt Secondary School, Kaya: Police Confirm Abduction Of 73 Students In Zamfara / FG Has Not Declared Any official Public Holiday Yet - Ministry Of Interior

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.