Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,157 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job (2457 Views)

Most Of The Global Layoffs Have Been In Tech / How Do I Master React? / Game Development Or App Development Which Career Is Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 11:11am On Nov 05, 2021
Good day to the Techies in the House. Please, I need a well-informed advice.

Background in Computer: I'm a Graphics Designer (with atleast intermediate skill level - Corel Draw & Photoshop), I also do Video Editing (Premiere Pro and mostly Davinci Resolve). So It's fair to say I'm much inclined towards Design and Visual creativity. Currently, I'm pursing a degree in Computer Science.

Purpose of the thread: I need advise from individuals who have been in the tech world on which Career/Skill path in TECH I can pursue with full commitment for ONE YEAR, AND POSSIBLY DO VOLUNTEER WORK/INTERNSHIP FOR 6 MONTHS TO BUILD A PORTFOLIO, so I can use the skill and experience to apply for jobs remotely from overseas or with high paying firms in Nigeria.

Yes, this decision is just as MONETARILY DRIVEN, as I'm also passionate in upskilling to meet future demands from myself, family and job offerings.

*AVAILABILITY: I'm currently working, but it's just a little over the minimum wage, and I have other small side hustles, but everything still comes under 70 - 80k on a good month. I'm hoping to save enough so I can quit my 8am - 5pm, and then commit at least 5 productive hours every day for ONE YEAR towards which every discipline/SKILL PATH i eventually go for.

I'll appreciate if in advising, you can be detailed as to PROS AND CONS of the various skills you may suggest.

Thank you Chiefs.

@ Seun Lalasticlala Mynd44
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by shilenji(m): 11:22am On Nov 05, 2021
Data science with python. Learning python takes three months(with high determination and enthusiasm) maximum is six months for a slow learner. Data science right now is hot.

4 Likes

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 11:50am On Nov 05, 2021
shilenji:
Data science with python. Learning python takes three months(with high determination and enthusiasm) maximum is six months for a slow learner. Data science right now is hot.

Thanks so much Chief. Let me update the post for more context. I'll appreciate also if you give hints.
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by kunleiky(m): 12:57pm On Nov 05, 2021
The person that advised you to go the data science way really loves you. Thank him once again.
It's the future. And the future we speak of is here. If you need any help, check my signature.
You will be glad you embrace data science

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by captainamiedi1: 1:01pm On Nov 05, 2021
What ever path you follow is good. Just master your skills. the whole world is waiting for you. just be good with your shit

3 Likes

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:02pm On Nov 05, 2021
kunleiky:
The person that advised you to go the data science way really loves you. Thank him once again.
It's the future. And the future we speak of is here. If you need any help, check my signature.
You will be glad you embrace data science

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 1:08pm On Nov 05, 2021
Thanks for the responses so far.

Please what are the pros and cons; As regards data science....I'm not in very passionate terms with MATHS
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by airsaylongcome: 1:09pm On Nov 05, 2021
Me I'm a Data Science/Data Analytics proponent. But if you plan to learn a skill that can pay your bills sharp sharp find another skill, not Data Science. It's a long game if you enter DS. You fit no eat for 5years

8 Likes

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 1:51pm On Nov 05, 2021
airsaylongcome:
Me I'm a Data Science/Data Analytics proponent. But if you plan to learn a skill that can pay your bills sharp sharp find another skill, not Data Science. It's a long game if you enter DS. You fit not eat for 5years

Thank you so much....I appreciate the sincerity
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by kennethfranc(m): 4:00pm On Nov 05, 2021
@op.. Since you can dedicate 1yr, then go for web development.
This might help
https://www.nairaland.com/6306692/how-recommend-newbie-goes-learning

The Oga don show face for this thread sha

3 Likes

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 4:33pm On Nov 05, 2021
kennethfranc:
@op.. Since you can dedicate 1yr, then go for web development.
This might help
https://www.nairaland.com/6306692/how-recommend-newbie-goes-learning

The Oga don show face for this thread sha

Thanks alot.. I'll read through the thread

colawi:

Op consider this. Good thing takes time. No need to rush. If I add few years to your age, you will still be a young man

Errrm.. Having to stop work and commit to learning strictly in Nigeria where there is no employment is a risk I can only manage if it rewards me with an engagement early enough o... Plus, I'm already a quarter of a dozen away from 30yrs jare..and data science looks like some deep math?
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by shilenji(m): 5:33pm On Nov 05, 2021
Well,Tech is the future and Tech is also about problem solving. All the aspect of Tech is fun to learn. Just go easy and don't push yourself. I'll be launching my first application soon.
Stephen0mozzy:

Thanks so much Chief. Let me update the post for more context. I'll appreciate also if you give hints.

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by SKhanmi: 6:02pm On Nov 05, 2021
Front End

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Thunday1005(m): 6:54pm On Nov 05, 2021
SInce you have skills in graphics, you can try UI/UX Or product design.

2 Likes

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 7:04pm On Nov 05, 2021
Thunday1005:
SInce you have skills in graphics, you can try UI/UX Or product design.

Thank you Sir.. How's the market like? Are there favourable prospects?

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Thunday1005(m): 9:00pm On Nov 05, 2021
Stephen0mozzy:

Thank you Sir.. How's the market like? Are there favourable prospects?

Products design market is yet to be fully exploited in Nigeria compared to other tech related work

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 9:11pm On Nov 05, 2021
Thunday1005:

Products design market is yet to be fully exploited in Nigeria compared to other tech related work

Thanks Chief... I'll research it
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by VicUkegbu(m): 9:21pm On Nov 05, 2021
I guess Data science o

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by lordally(m): 11:01pm On Nov 05, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Why you dey laugh na grin grin
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 3:03pm On Nov 06, 2021
Oga Seun, Please help dirext the mods and Lalasticlala to put this threadon fp to get more insights.

It's that important please
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Fidelmak(m): 7:19pm On Nov 06, 2021
Web3 and
Blockchain technology�

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by silvercute(m): 3:41am On Nov 17, 2021
Since you got ui/ux skills then product design is pretty cool however considering naija factors you might need to be mentally ready. Poor pay for product designs, lots of mediocre in the field, Need to learn more skills such as html/css/JavaScript might also be another thing then also figma and the likes. Then there’s a fine line between product design and industrial design you might be crossing into in some projects and this would require you getting good CAD skills such as Catia, Solidworks and the rest.
Now looking at the future and I mean future of revolutionized tech, there’s a tipping point you can only get with product design when compared with software engr or data science/machine learning/ AI. Just do you analysis deep down if what you want is short term or long term.

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by LikeAking: 2:16pm On Nov 18, 2021
Just my advice, Nigerian dev should not focus on only the getting a job side. What about solutions to problems?

1 Like

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by bet9ja(m): 3:45pm On Nov 18, 2021
Stephen0mozzy:
Good day to the Techies in the House. Please, I need a well-informed advice.

Background in Computer: I'm a Graphics Designer (with atleast intermediate skill level - Corel Draw & Photoshop), I also do Video Editing (Premiere Pro and mostly Davinci Resolve). So It's fair to say I'm much inclined towards Design and Visual creativity. Currently, I'm pursing a degree in Computer Science.

Purpose of the thread: I need advise from individuals who have been in the tech world on which Career/Skill path in TECH I can pursue with full commitment for ONE YEAR, AND POSSIBLY DO VOLUNTEER WORK/INTERNSHIP FOR 6 MONTHS TO BUILD A PORTFOLIO, so I can use the skill and experience to apply for jobs remotely from overseas or with high paying firms in Nigeria.

Yes, this decision is just as MONETARILY DRIVEN, as I'm also passionate in upskilling to meet future demands from myself, family and job offerings.

*AVAILABILITY: I'm currently working, but it's just a little over the minimum wage, and I have other small side hustles, but everything still comes under 70 - 80k on a good month. I'm hoping to save enough so I can quit my 8am - 5pm, and then commit at least 5 productive hours every day for ONE YEAR towards which every discipline/SKILL PATH i eventually go for.

I'll appreciate if in advising, you can be detailed as to PROS AND CONS of the various skills you may suggest.

Thank you Chiefs.

@ Seun Lalasticlala Mynd44

Since you already have knowledge in Graphic designing. I will advise you to brush up your skill and learn to design like a PRO, Ui/Ux designing is a nice career to have, you can not be a good one if you don't work closely with a Front End Engineer. The last company i worked with, My UI/UX designer earns above 400k. though, he studied Graphic Designing in College, I only brushed him up to UI/UX in other to make my life easier as a lead Dev. Make decision based on what you love doing.

In contrast, you can look into Front-End career pathway. Don't be in hurry for money. Else, you will end-up spamming different forum for website development @ a cheaper rate. Focus on learning the craft, learn it from HTML5/Css3, JavaScript and PHP. After this, you can decide to go with any of your desire framework. Learn React, Angular and Vue js. Based on the hours that you stated that you can devote to learning, Within a year, I believe you will be ready for an entry level front-end role.

Lest i forget to add that you will need a mentor that will guild you through. This will prevent you from information overloading.

3 Likes

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 7:43pm On Nov 18, 2021
bet9ja:

Since you already have knowledge in Graphic designing. I will advise you to brush up your skill and learn to design like a PRO, Ui/Ux designing is a nice career to have, you can not be a good one if you don't work closely with a Front End Engineer. The last company i worked with, My UI/UX designer earns above 400k. though, he studied Graphic Designing in College, I only brushed him up to UI/UX in other to make my life easier as a lead Dev. Make decision based on what you love doing.

In contrast, you can look into Front-End career pathway. Don't be in hurry for money. Else, you will end-up spamming different forum for website development @ a cheaper rate. Focus on learning the craft, learn it from HTML5/Css3, JavaScript and PHP. After this, you can decide to go with any of your desire framework. Learn React, Angular and Vue js. Based on the hours that you stated that you can devote to learning, Within a year, I believe you will be ready for an entry level front-end role.

Lest i forget to add that you will need a mentor that will guild you through. This will prevent you from information overloading.

Wow.... Thank you so much Sir.. You just made my month! I really appreciate your very detailed response.

Please can i message you Sir... I'll like to discuss with you and seek your counsel on way forward.... At your convenience please

O8!74050194
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Stephen0mozzy: 7:46pm On Nov 18, 2021
silvercute:
Since you got ui/ux skills then product design is pretty cool however considering naija factors you might need to be mentally ready. Poor pay for product designs, lots of mediocre in the field, Need to learn more skills such as html/css/JavaScript might also be another thing then also figma and the likes. Then there’s a fine line between product design and industrial design you might be crossing into in some projects and this would require you getting good CAD skills such as Catia, Solidworks and the rest.
Now looking at the future and I mean future of revolutionized tech, there’s a tipping point you can only get with product design when compared with software engr or data science/machine learning/ AI. Just do you analysis deep down if what you want is short term or long term.

Thank you so much for your very helpful response
Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:46pm On Nov 18, 2021
LikeAking:
Just my advice, Nigerian dev should not focus on only the getting a job side. What about solutions to problems?

Unfortunately a junior developer with a couple of coding videos does not have the ability to find solutions to problems. Software engineering is also a profession and the more experience you get, the better you become. Just because you can use udemy to get an entry level role does not alleviate the need for experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by bet9ja(m): 3:33pm On Nov 19, 2021
Stephen0mozzy:

Wow.... Thank you so much Sir.. You just made my month! I really appreciate your very detailed response.

Please can i message you Sir... I'll like to discuss with you and seek your counsel on way forward.... At your convenience please

O8!74050194

You are welcome. You can reach me on email bigoluway30@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Please Which Career In Tech Can I Master In 1 Year For A Job by Avast(m): 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2021
bet9ja:

You are welcome. You can reach me on email bigoluway30@gmail.com

Boss I sent you an email sir

(1) (Reply)

CRUDCAST: Two Nigerian Programmers Chat About Technology / Excel To Microsoft Sql Server / DIY: Hardware Hacking With Arduino Boards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.