Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,941 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Why Do Nigerians Call Moi Moi & Akara As Beans Cake, But Call Pizza As Pizza? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Call Moi Moi & Akara As Beans Cake, But Call Pizza As Pizza? (900 Views)

Nigerian Lady Shares Photo Of The 'Akara' Her Friend Made / 5 Reasons Why You Should Take Pap & Akara As Breakfasts / What Is Moi Moi In English? See Funny Replies From Nigeria Entertainners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Call Moi Moi & Akara As Beans Cake, But Call Pizza As Pizza? by Mylordmygod1: 6:49am On Nov 09, 2021
Why do we call moi moi or akara as beans cake?

Moi moi or akara is not called beans cake. Moi moi is moi moi, akara is akara any day, any time.

You people should stop trying to find an english name for our dishes. A nigerian girl will be ashamed to say she ate eba; why?

That is how people where arguing what the english name of eba was the other day, and some said it is baked garri. Ahh! Our own eba again?

An italian dish bears its italian name everywhere, or would you tell me what the english name or igbo name of pizza is? You call it pizza. Would you tell me what the english or igbo name of shawarma is? You call it shawarma.
Would you tell what the igbo name of cake is? I believe you call cake as cake, pizza as pizza & shawarma as shawarma, even when you are telling your grandma about them.

But you call moi moi beans cake. If oyibo person ask u watin be moi moi or akara any time, tell am say na moi moi/akara and let them know it as moi moi/akara, simple as that.

Eba as Baked Garri? Aba!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Call Moi Moi & Akara As Beans Cake, But Call Pizza As Pizza? by stevebond007(m): 7:37am On Nov 09, 2021
Inferiority complex.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Call Moi Moi & Akara As Beans Cake, But Call Pizza As Pizza? by Abitolola: 8:41am On Nov 09, 2021
The thing weakens me, oyinbo people can teach us English, but we can further suppress our own language and culture.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Call Moi Moi & Akara As Beans Cake, But Call Pizza As Pizza? by Mariangeles(f): 9:19am On Nov 09, 2021
You're absolutely right.

I posted akamu/ogi one time on my Instagram page, and one of my followers from an Asian country got curious about it and asked what it was, then I explained to her that it is a Nigerian meal made out of dry corn.
I love showcasing Nigerian food. I even have a different page exclusively for Nigerian foods.

I was going to create a recipe using yam and I was going to call it yam fritters, but now I've changed my mind. cheesy
I'll think of something more traditional.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Call Moi Moi & Akara As Beans Cake, But Call Pizza As Pizza? by Elxandre(m): 6:23pm On Nov 11, 2021
Lol.
Not like they'll hear word o.

(1) (Reply)

Guess How Much A Sachet Of Pure Water Is In Abuja And Katsina / Nigerian Food? / I Wish To Make My 2011 Christmas And New Year Celebrations Exceptional!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.