Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,386 members, 7,861,059 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:41 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? (30214 Views)

Why Are Nigerians Japing To The UK When UK Workers are On Strike For Poor Salary / Re: Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? / Why Are Nigerians So Desperate To Leave This Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 11:07pm On Nov 17, 2021
PoliteActivist:

These below say you are being economical with the truth

Did you even bother to read the article from ozy.com? It compared Nigerians in America to Americans in order to form a conclusion but they falter since 61% is still less than over 70% for Indians in America. Another one shows Nigerians in the USA subdivided into several subgroups which unfortunately is not the same as looking at country by country analysis or continent by continent analysis. Look at the fourth photo to get the gist of what I'm talking about. You can't compare Nigerians with Asians, you must compare Nigerians with Chinese or Indians, the proper comparison is Africans to Asians if we want to get technical.

Q: Are Nigerians the most educated group in the USA?
A: FALSE: Asians as a whole are the most educated, Indians as a sub group represents the highest number of bachelor's degree holders.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by PoliteActivist: 11:48pm On Nov 17, 2021
abbey621:

Did you even bother to read the article from ozy.com? It compared Nigerians in America to Americans in order to form a conclusion but they falter since 61% is still less than over 70% for Indians in America. Another one shows Nigerians in the USA subdivided into several subgroups which unfortunately is not the same as looking at country by country analysis or continent by continent analysis. Look at the fourth photo to get the gist of what I'm talking about. You can't compare Nigerians with Asians, you must compare Nigerians with Chinese or Indians, the proper comparison is Africans to Asians if we want to get technical.

Q: Are Nigerians the most educated group in the USA?
A: FALSE: Asians as a whole are the most educated, Indians as a sub group represents the highest number of bachelor's degree holders.

Still being economical with the truth and selectively posting. The below is pure analyzed DATA!!

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 12:08am On Nov 18, 2021
PoliteActivist:

Still being economical with the truth and selectively posting. The below is pure analyzed DATA!!

Stop embarrassing yourself, 2000 census really? grin grin grin. As of 2016 na Asians get am, I no get time to argue with you, I deal with data for a living, at least respect yourself and use sources like statista, recent census from the census bureau or another source that actually makes sense.

Child wey dem born in 2000 don turn adult now o......Hope you know grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by PoliteActivist: 12:40am On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:

Stop embarrassing yourself, 2000 census really? grin grin grin. As of 2016 na Asians get am, I no get time to argue with you, I deal with data for a living, at least respect yourself and use sources like statista, recent census from the census bureau or another source that actually makes sense.

Child wey dem born in 2000 don turn adult now o......Hope you know grin Snakedoctor1

You are the one embarrassing yourself. Google is not a Nigerian so is not biased. Anybody reading this has access to Google. Just go and type in "Which immigrant group in usa has the highest level of education? Below is the result

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 1:05am On Nov 18, 2021
PoliteActivist:

You are the one embarrassing yourself. Google is not a Nigerian so is not biased. Anybody reading this has access to Google. Just go and type in "Which immigrant group in usa has the highest level of education? Below is the result

You're funny, make sure when you type on Google you filter out any results before 2016 because the fresher the data the more reliable it is! Go to the article and look at the source, wikipedia still referenced the same census of 2000 followed by limited census conducted from 2008 to 2012. I am telling you from 2016 to now, Asians have surpassed every other ethnicity and you're here still rambling about old data....why? Are you hell bent on being naive or you're just clowning? I'm going to help you out, look at this 2018 article from Migration Policy Institute, it's not even close when you analyze country by country so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish:

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/college-educated-immigrants-united-states-2018

If you're still going to continue this charade then I humbly request for you to continue arguing with your phone!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by khiaa(f): 1:24am On Nov 18, 2021
kponkedenge:
Most Nigerians are hardworking.... in fact Nigerians make up the highest numbers of educated blacks in the US.

Forget all these stereotypes most people say... like crime, fraud, drug, etc..... Cos for every one fraudulent Nigerian abroad.... there are a thousand number of Nigerians doing legit business abroad.... and adding something to their host country.....be it through medicine, finance, or IT.

Oh, and remember the deputy Treasury president in the US is a Nigerian.

Nigerians make up the highest educated immigrant in Houston Texas, not the US.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by khiaa(f): 1:34am On Nov 18, 2021
They aren't afraid of going to prison in the US so they will take the risk of drug dealing, drug trafficking, scamming, prostitution, child trafficking, and thievery, but of course there are the honest hard workers.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by optimusprime2(m): 1:50am On Nov 18, 2021
Because for the most part, Nigerians in the US are incredibly educated... How can one person have 3masters degrees and a PHD?? and with all that, this brother is still hustling multiple jobs...

You don't need Rocket science to figure out he's raking in over 200,000USD a year...

BTW that brother with all his earnings, never shops outside of Costco and Dollar Tree...
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by optimusprime2(m): 1:54am On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:

You're funny, make sure when you type on Google you filter out any results before 2016 because the fresher the data the more reliable it is! Go to the article and look at the source, wikipedia still referenced the same census of 2000 followed by limited census conducted from 2008 to 2012. I am telling you from 2016 to now, Asians have surpassed every other ethnicity and you're here still rambling about old data....why? Are you hell bent on being naive or you're just clowning? I'm going to help you out, look at this 2018 article from Migration Policy Institute, it's not even close when you analyze country by country so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish:

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/college-educated-immigrants-united-states-2018

If you're still going to continue this charade then I humbly request for you to continue arguing with your phone!

I think he means most educated "Black" Immigrants, because when it comes to the African American Demographic in the US Nigerians are heads-up the most educated.

However when it comes to the most educated Immigrant group, I will give that hands down to the Indian's... infact only them single handedly tipped over the H1b visa system.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 1:58am On Nov 18, 2021
optimusprime2:

I think he means most educated "Black" Immigrants, because when it comes to the African American Demographic in the US Nigerians are heads-up the most educated.

However when it comes to the most educated Immigrant group, I will give that hands down to the Indian's... infact only them single handedly tipped over the H1b visa system.

In just a few words, you've managed to make sense more than all his ramblings.....Thumbs up!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by PoliteActivist: 3:08am On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:

Of course, because you know you've lost the argument.

I thought I was discussing with a somewhat reasonable person. Didn't know I was dealing with a dummy. Data you presented is percentage of the TOTAL each group represents, dummy. Of course countries with more immigrants in US have more grads. The length you are going to win this argument, instead of just being honest and let the data speak. You deceptively post misleading tables and graphs hoping to fool people
THE GOOGLE INFO IS THE MOST UP TO DATE- it reflects currently available data TODAY!

See the graph you deceptively posted below. It says it right there that if you isolate African immigrants (TALKLESS OF NIGERIANS!) they are more successful than Asians,

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by bepositive11: 3:51am On Nov 18, 2021
Ayietim:
I came across this question on Quora.

Some answers were quite interesting. One of them is reproduced below;

"They were very nice. Intelligent, law-abiding and hardworking.

And those are the reasons. If you’re intelligent, hardworking and law abiding, you’ll likely make it in America to a large extent. No matter where you’re from."

Now over to you, "Why are Nigerians so successful in America?"

Going to America itself filters out the people with strong determination. Only those strongly determined get to America in the first place
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 4:25am On Nov 18, 2021
PoliteActivist:

Of course, because you know you've lost the argument.

I thought I was discussing with a somewhat reasonable person. Didn't know I was dealing with a dummy. Data you presented is percentage of the TOTAL each group represents, dummy. Of course countries with more immigrants in US have more grads. The length you are going to win this argument, instead of just being honest and let the data speak. You deceptively post misleading tables and graphs hoping to fool people
THE GOOGLE INFO IS THE MOST UP TO DATE- it reflects currently available data TODAY!

[s]See the graph you deceptively posted below. It says it right there that if you isolate African immigrants (TALKLESS OF NIGERIANS!) they are more successful than Asians,[/s]

Were you dropped on your head as a child? grin grin grin Just look at the bold part of your comment, you just contradicted yourself! Since you know Nigeria does not have the most immigrants in the USA, why are you arguing bro about them being most educated? Oya slap yourself! Now let me break you again, majority of immigrants in the USA comes from Mexico, guess what? They are not the most educated not even close.....YOU SHOCK? Oya slap yourself again! This concludes this episode of arguing with a dummy, take the lessons learned and err no more!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by 1Sharon(f): 4:54am On Nov 18, 2021
I would say most black immigrant groups are successful
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by PoliteActivist: 7:18am On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:

Were you dropped on your head as a child? grin grin grin Just look at the bold part of your comment, you just contradicted yourself! Since you know Nigeria does not have the most immigrants in the USA, why are you arguing bro about them being most educated? Oya slap yourself! Now let me break you again, majority of immigrants in the USA comes from Mexico, guess what? They are not the most educated not even close.....YOU SHOCK? Oya slap yourself again! This concludes this episode of arguing with a dummy, take the lessons learned and err no more! Snakedoctor1

I honestly misjudged you. I thought I was debating with reasoning person. Or are you just trying to confuse ignorant people. It's hard for me to believe you don't know you are talking nonsense. So because there are more Hausa graduates in Nigeria than Ijaw graduates, that means Hausas graduate at a higher rate,?? How dumb! Liston well: THE RATE OF GRADUATION OF A GROUP HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOTAL NUMBER OF GRADUATES IN THE COUNYRY!!! That I have to explain this to you tells me I shouldn't be debating with you - you are simply not up to par.

As for Mexicans, more misinformation. See below then run along

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by Snakedoctor1: 7:24am On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:

You managed to spew more opinions rather than facts, Asians are the most educated ethnic group in the USA, Nigerians are not even in the top 5 when we analyze beyond ethnicity and into details like country by country. Furthermore, what is the salary of local government chairman, state assembly rep or councillor? What is their transportation, food and other allowances? None of these benefits would make them earn above 15 million Naira per year, so unless you can explain how such pioliticians can afford to build mansions worth 50 million or more, afford Range Rover/G-wagon worth over 30 million and still spend on their famiy, if you've got a valid explanation that does not involve stealing or corruption please let us hear it, otherwise I maintain my stance.

Finally nowhere did I state that professors in America are as depraved as those in Nigeria, read slowly and comprehend, I simply highlighted that they are facing the same issues salary wise as you alluded on your post. They are not paid as handsomely as business executives, politicians or even ordinary managers at a Fortune 500 company. If you have contrary facts to disprove this please state it because so far your perfect logic is full of gaping holes grin grin

I sense that you have limited knowledge of some of the things you argue about. I will just give you a little hint about politics and no more cos I do not have the time for back and forth. Not all monetary accruals to politicians are quantifiable in pay logs and neither are they seen in statute books but they are not illegal. That is why it remains very lucrative even in countries with the most stringent of laws.
Admittedly, the toll of corruption in Nigeria has taken our minds away from some of these facts.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 2:25pm On Nov 18, 2021
Snakedoctor1:

I sense that you have limited knowledge of some of the things you argue about. I will just give you a little hint about politics and no more cos I do not have the time for back and forth. Not all monetary accruals to politicians are quantifiable in pay logs and neither are they seen in statute books but they are not illegal. That is why it remains very lucrative even in countries with the most stringent of laws.
Admittedly, the toll of corruption in Nigeria has taken our minds away from some of these facts.

LMAO......Here's your argument, " IF IT IS LEGAL, IT IS ALLOWED"......What you described is the loophole that allows corruption to remain unchecked, from the presidency spending billions on food alone to Legislative adding dubious spending to bills. By your calculation if it is legal, it is alright, let's forget about ethics or morals.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 2:37pm On Nov 18, 2021
PoliteActivist:

I honestly misjudged you. I thought I was debating with reasoning person. Or are you just trying to confuse ignorant people. It's hard for me to believe you don't know you are talking nonsense. So because there are more Hausa graduates in Nigeria than Ijaw graduates, that means Hausas graduate at a higher rate,?? How dumb! Liston well: T[b]HE RATE OF GRADUATION OF A GROUP HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR TOTAL NUMBER OF GRADUATES IN THE COUNYRY!!! [/b]That I have to explain this to you tells me I shouldn't be debating with you - you are simply not up to par.

As for Mexicans, more misinformation. See below then run along

You should be a comedian, when we talk about immigrants; Europeans, Canadaians and any Caucasian based country is left out of the discussion, if you bothered to research you would know this. America is a nation of immigrants if whites are put into the discusssion then the greatest immigrants would be caucasians but you know this, you're just doing a magnificent job at playing stupid!

The bold part of your comment, na only you understand that one because data shows that there is a correlation. The higher the graduation rate, the higher the total number of graduates which also correlates to population. To think these factors are independent of one another is well................CLOWNISH! Your example is a good one, if Hausa people refuses to go to school and Ijaw people continues to educate and graduate then over time the gap would start to reduce and perhaps shift to having more Ijaw graduates than Hausa.

Coincidentally, this was what happened in America, in the early 1900s more White Americans/Europeans were college graduates than Asians or immigrated Africans, by the year 2000 the statistic flipped and by today, Asians are on top of the ladder in terms of higher education. Whatever argument or point you think you're making has only validated my point even more, I suggest you give it up and just move on because it ain't worth it my guy......This is an area in which you're outmatched!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by PoliteActivist: 9:29pm On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:

You should be a comedian, when we talk about immigrants; Europeans, Canadaians and any Caucasian based country is left out of the discussion, if you bothered to research you would know this. America is a nation of immigrants if whites are put into the discusssion then the greatest immigrants would be caucasians but you know this, you're just doing a magnificent job at playing stupid!

The bold part of your comment, na only you understand that one because data shows that there is a correlation. The higher the graduation rate, the higher the total number of graduates which also correlates to population. To think these factors are independent of one another is well................CLOWNISH! Your example is a good one, if Hausa people refuses to go to school and Ijaw people continues to educate and graduate then over time the gap would start to reduce and perhaps shift to having more Ijaw graduates than Hausa.

Coincidentally, this was what happened in America, in the early 1900s more White Americans/Europeans were college graduates than Asians or immigrated Africans, by the year 2000 the statistic flipped and by today, Asians are on top of the ladder in terms of higher education. Whatever argument or point you think you're making has only validated my point even more, I suggest you give it up and just move on because it ain't worth it my guy......This is an area in which you're outmatched! Snakedoctor1

A somewhat educated person can't possible be this dense. After teaching you this I'm not wasting any more time with you.

1) Immigrant means someone who was BORN in another country then came to America, INCLUDING WHITES and all countries. Stop arguing nonsense.
But their children are also usually included as part of the immigrant community - this is what gives Nigerians the highest graduation rate.

2. If there were 2 Igbos in America and one of them graduates that's 50% graduation rate. If there were a million Hausas in America and 100,000 of them graduate, that is10% graduation rate. Igbos would have much higher graduation rate, though much more Hausas graduated.

3. Per my bolded, the total number of graduates in America has nothing to do with the graduation rate of a group. From my above example, Igbo graduation rate will still be 50% wether there are a million or a billion graduates in America.

4. Notice below, the most educated group refers to the group with highest percentage of masters and above, or professional degrees. The answer is inarguably Nigerians!

Now cut it, and stop arguing nonsense

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by abbey621(m): 9:39pm On Nov 18, 2021
PoliteActivist:

A somewhat educated person can't possible be this dense. After teaching you this I'm not wasting any more time with you.

1) Immigrant means someone who was BORN in another country then came to America, INCLUDING WHITES and all countries. Stop arguing nonsense.
But their children are also usually included as part of the immigrant community - this is what gives Nigerians the highest graduation rate.

2. If there were 2 Igbos in America and one of them graduates that's 50% graduation rate. If there were a million Hausas in America and 100,000 of them graduate, that is10% graduation rate. Igbos would have much higher graduation rate, though much more Hausas graduated.

3. [s]Per my bolded, the total number of graduates in America has nothing to do with the graduation rate of a group. From my above example, Igbo graduation rate will still be 50% wether there are a million or a billion graduates in America.[/s]

4. [s]Notice below, the most educated group refers to the group with highest percentage of masters and above, or professional degrees. The answer is inarguably Nigerians![/s]

Now cut it, and stop arguing nonsense

You don't even know what you're arguing about again, most educated means anything from high school graduates to Ph.D and above. Stop this tomfoolery and just give up, you can continue this charade of yours but just go back to your initial reply to my comment and remember what you argued against, MOST EDUCATED NOT HIGHEST LEVEL OF EDUCATION, any attempt to justify anything beyond that is just clownish behavior and I want nothing to do with it.....This will be my last reply to you, it's getting redundant........PEACE!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by armyofone(m): 9:43pm On Nov 18, 2021
ahnie:
Because village people didn't followed them to america.

And village people can fly through the Atlantic.
Which is good cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by armyofone(m): 9:48pm On Nov 18, 2021
FalseProphet1:
Because Nigerians naturally are husslers and hard working people, so if they apply half of the effort they use in Nigeria over there in the USA, they'd become millionaires.

Also, the American system is built in such a way that there's reward for geninue hard work. Over here in Nigeria, no matter how qualifed or how hard you've worked, if your name isn't Abdul, Mohammed, Aisha...and come from a certain section of the country, you're just wasting your time.

By 2023, more than 98% of Nigerian youths would have successfully migrated out of this hell hole.

This I have seen.

Or have a bigger god and connected.

Your name can be Abdul, Aisha or Mohammed- if you are not connected, forget it.
There are many Abdul, Aisha or Mohammed in Nigeria with no job undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by PoliteActivist: 10:09pm On Nov 18, 2021
abbey621:

You don't even know what you're arguing about again, most educated means anything from high school graduates to Ph.D and above. Stop this tomfoolery and just give up, you can continue this charade of yours but just go back to your initial reply to my comment and remember what you argued against, MOST EDUCATED NOT HIGHEST LEVEL OF EDUCATION, any attempt to justify anything beyond that is just clownish behavior and I want nothing to do with it.....This will be my last reply to you, it's getting redundant........PEACE!

It better be your last because you are not only arguing nonsense, you are arguing against settled facts. You said there are more Mexican immigrants, that was shown to be false, you said whites are not counted among immigrants, that was shown to be false, then you proved not to know what rate means. Get this in your head: Nigerians are the most educated IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY and also Nigerian immigrants are the MOST EDUCATED (masters or professional degrees or higher). Now go and rest
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by PoliteActivist: 10:11pm On Nov 18, 2021
armyofone:

Or have a bigger god and connected.

Your name can be Abdul, Aisha or Mohammed- if you are connected, forget it.
There are many Abdul, Aisha or Mohammed in Nigeria with no job undecided

Read your post again
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by armyofone(m): 10:43pm On Nov 18, 2021
PoliteActivist:

Read your post again

Fixed.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by Alezy(m): 7:17am On Nov 19, 2021
khiaa:
They aren't afraid of going to prison in the US so they will take the risk of drug dealing, drug trafficking, scamming, prostitution, child trafficking, and thievery, but of course there are the honest hard workers.

Hnmmmm.... Really? All those risks are all taken by Nigerians alone?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by khia: 9:10am On Nov 19, 2021
Alezy:

Hnmmmm.... Really? All those risks are all taken by Nigerians alone?

No, but the question wasn't asked about others.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Successful In America? by khia: 9:18am On Nov 19, 2021
abbey621:

I tried to tell them this but their egos are too inflated to hear the truth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jos: The Sight And Sounds Of The Land Of Peace - Photos / Woman And Her Baby Survive Horrific Road Accident (Pictures) / BRT Bus Kills 2 People In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.