Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,950 members, 7,814,219 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Another Tithe Thread - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Another Tithe Thread (1794 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / To Tithe or Not to Tithe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 7:59am On Jun 08, 2011
i was reading my bible recently and came across Deut 14: 22-29 from the text, i suddenly realized that tithes should not be given to the church/priest completely (except you chose to) rather it explicitly explains what you should do with the 10% of your increase/salary/harvest dedicated to God. The question is how many of the faithfuls are aware of this passage "my people perish for lack of knowledge". Am i getting the context of the passage wrongly. or is a translation problem.

Deut 14: 22-29

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always. 24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the LORD your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the LORD will choose to put his Name is so far away), 25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands
Re: Another Tithe Thread by KunleOshob(m): 8:42am On Jun 08, 2011
Welcome to the age of tithe enlightenment. This was the same passage I came across years ago that made me start questioning tithes in our churches, unfortunately I couldn't get any reasonable answers from our churches, pastors either evaded the questions or in some cases tried to manipulate scriptures. Some admitted that tithing today is not biblical. However this passage made me research every thing the bible said on tithe and I came to the conclusion that tithing as it is preached today is the biggest and longest standing fraud in the history of man kind. You may also wish to read hebrew 7:5-19 were tithing was anulled for christians are described as a weak, useless and unprofitable commandment.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 9:01am On Jun 08, 2011
i really have no scruples about giving to GOD, but knowing the origin was actually what baffled me about the passage i mentioned. it appears that Churches forces us to give 100% of the tithes to its coffers which is totally against what i read.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by KunleOshob(m): 9:06am On Jun 08, 2011
If you read the hebrew passage, you would realise that christians are not even meant to tithe at all. Asides the biblical tithe was not money contrary to scriptural manipulation preached today
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 9:15am On Jun 08, 2011
just read the hebrews version- totally more confused undecided undecided undecided
Re: Another Tithe Thread by TeeJay6(m): 9:15am On Jun 08, 2011
snthesis:

i really have no scruples about giving to GOD, but knowing the origin was actually what baffled me about the passage i mentioned. it appears that Churches forces us to give 100% of the tithes to its coffers which is totally against what i read.
No church should force anyone to give. Even God never forces anyone to give; it is entirely up to the individual whether or not he wants to obey the word of God exclusively or decides to cherry-pick the ones that suits him/her. Once you have given your life to God surrendering 10% or 100% of what you have(which He gave you anyway and has the power to take away at any time) should never be an issue. Abraham is a classic example of this, he was ever so willing to sacrifice his one and only child to prove his love for God with no questions asked, a sharp contrast people a number of so-called christians who flood this site moaning about tithes/offering.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Enigma(m): 9:20am On Jun 08, 2011
Well, according to that Deuteronomy passage: "tithes" should be used (a) to jollify yourself and your family in the presence of God and to rejoice, (b) and sometimes shared with Levites, widows, orphans etc (i.e. the needy) so that God may bless you and the work of your hands.

If anybody finds a place where the Bible says "tithes" should be given to a "church" or to a "pastor", let them produce it. (PS Forget the "storehouse" thing when trying to do this exercise)
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Enigma(m): 9:33am On Jun 08, 2011
Hebrews 7

Verse 5
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Verses 11 & 12
If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron? 12[b]For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.[/b]

Verses 18 & 19
For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof. 19For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

In other words: "tithing" has been "disannulled" (abolished) along with the Levitical priesthood on which it was based: both have been replaced by the bringing in of a better hope (which makes things perfect) and by which we draw nigh unto God.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 9:54am On Jun 08, 2011
Tee_Jay:

No church should force anyone to give. Even God never forces anyone to give; it is entirely up to the individual whether or not he wants to obey the word of God exclusively or decides to cherry-pick the ones that suits him/her. Once you have given your life to God surrendering 10% or 100% of what you have(which He gave you anyway and has the power to take away at any time) should never be an issue. Abraham is a classic example of this, he was ever so willing to sacrifice his one and only child to prove his love for God with no questions asked, a sharp contrast people a number of so-called christians who flood this site moaning about tithes/offering.
from your input- i guess we are not supposed to question any teachings
wats ur opinion of God's word, are you of the school of thought that some certain verses in the bible, should be disregarded?
Re: Another Tithe Thread by TeeJay6(m): 10:43am On Jun 08, 2011
snthesis:

from your input- i guess we are not supposed to question any teachings
wats your opinion of God's word, are you of the school of thought that some certain verses in the bible, should be disregarded?
By all means question any teaching that is contrary to the word of God. The basis of christianity is John 3:16" For God so loved the world that He gave, "; the only way to demonstrate your love for God is in your giving. By that i dont merely imply financial, for 1John 3:16 talks about laying down our lives for the brethren. It is impossible for anyone to Genuinely claim he/she loves God and yet finds the principle of giving so hard to stomach. So what if God asks for 100% of all that you have? How much can a man give that can rival what God has done/given?
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 11:03am On Jun 08, 2011
^^^ u ar missing the point, am not against giving, wat i just realized from the passage i read was that i'm not obliged to give 100% of my tithe to the church, rather i'm allowed by my own discretion to divide the tithe amongst other needs, such as giving to the less privileged, orphans, charity etc. the norm was to simply pay everything to the church account- because i wasnt informed on what tithing really entailed.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 08, 2011
Corinthians 9:7
[size=15pt]7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.[/size]

[size=15pt]God says he loves a cheerful giver, pastors say you’re robbing God if you don't give them 10% of your salary. So who has more authority over what you give to God. Is it God or your pastor?[/size]
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Image123(m): 12:15pm On Jun 08, 2011
The HYPOCRITES are gathering again. ever learning and never able, too bad.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Snowwy: 12:38pm On Jun 08, 2011
@snthesis,
The disannulment of the law in Hebrew 7, was the law of Levitical Priesthood. read Heb. 7:11.
The law that the people received was the law of Moses.

Heb7:16 shows that Jesus was not made Priest after the law of a carnal commandment that only the Levites had authority to be priests but Christ is made Priest after the power of an endless life. i.e. why scripture says he is a priest after the order of Melchizedek and not after the order of Aaron.

It is this commandment that was annulled.

Jesus was not against tithe as he would have clearly rebuked it, he however said it should not be left undone. (he really did not need to add that if he was against it) In Matt23:23.

The OT shows where it was stated that tithe is Holy to the Lord and should be given to the Levites:

Leviticus 27:30: A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the LORD; it is holy to the LORD.
Numbers 18: 21 - I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting.

Also, Apostle Paul said in I Corinthians 9:13-14:

13 Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? 14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

You can make your conclusion from here yourself.

Please note that you can give tithe and offerings as you purpose in your heart. That scripture does not in anyway negate tithing. We should give it cheerful and in faith as we are doing it unto the Lord.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 7:59am On Jun 09, 2011
snthesis:

Deut 14: 25-29
25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the LORD your God will choose. 26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice. 27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the[b] Levites[/b] (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands

Snowwy:

Numbers 18: 21 - I give to the Levites all the tithes in Israel as their inheritance in return for the work they do while serving at the Tent of Meeting.

thanks snowwy, but as i stated earlier, i'm not against giving tithe, the notion i had prior to reading Deut 14: 22-29 was that 100% of tithe goes to the church/priest, but it is clearly stated that it shouldnt be like that, but from the passage you quoted, it also clearly states "all" the the tithes goes to the levites- i'm wondering if "all" represents 100% of the tithes or perhaps it represents tithes from everybody i.e nobody is exempted from tithing  undecided undecided undecided
Re: Another Tithe Thread by EvilBrain1(m): 8:46am On Jun 09, 2011
I've been telling all my christian friends and relatives this for years. If you really want to give god money, you should donate to a motherless babies home where it can actually be useful. Giving money to a church or pastor is worse than burning it or flushing it down the toilet.

Stop supporting a fraudulent industry.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Snowwy: 5:54pm On Jun 09, 2011
snthesis:

thanks snowwy, but as i stated earlier, i'm not against giving tithe, the notion i had prior to reading Deut 14: 22-29 was that 100% of tithe goes to the church/priest, but it is clearly stated that it shouldnt be like that, but from the passage you quoted, it also clearly states "all" the the tithes goes to the levites- i'm wondering if "all" represents 100% of the tithes or perhaps it represents tithes from everybody i.e nobody is exempted from tithing  undecided undecided undecided

There are two categories in the scripture you quoted and how that was administered and one in the scripture in Numbers that I quoted and how that was also administered.
The tithe in Numbers is the tenth which God said is for the Levites for their work. I relate it to be the one God was referring to in the Leviticus scripture.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 10:05am On Jun 10, 2011
Snowwy:

There are two categories in the scripture you quoted and how that was administered and one in the scripture in Numbers that I quoted and how that was also administered.
The tithe in Numbers is the tenth which God said is for the Levites for their work. I relate it to be the one God was referring to in the Leviticus scripture.

now am really confused, are you saying that there are different types of tithes? undecided
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Snowwy: 11:51am On Jun 10, 2011
@snthesis,
Yes there were actually 3 tithes.
Take time to read the whole chapter of Deuteronomy 14.
After that then check out the the scriptures on tithes as quoted below with highlights.

Deut. 14:22-27:
22  Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23  And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24  And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25  Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26  And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27  And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

This was obviously tithe to be eaten by the individual, his family and also the poor, levites etc and it was to be taken to a place where God has chosen to place his name.
If the place was far? That means the place could change from time to time and this was obviously not at the temple.
This tithe was for the people to learn to fear God.

Deut. 14:28-29
28  At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29  And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

This tithe was laid up within the peoples gates for the poor, levites also, fatherless, stranger etc so that they could come and eat within the peoples gates and be staisfied.
This was so that the Lord might bless the works of their hands.

Now in the book of Numbers, see the scriptures on tithes:

Numbers 18:21 & 24
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation
24But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

This tithe was brought to the house of the Lord as an offering. This is the one that was given to the Levites specifically. This was the portion due them.

I hope you understand better now.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by ogajim(m): 1:11pm On Jun 10, 2011
According to Creflo, tithe is just the beginning and is not part of GIVING:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-V1gvyb_c
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Zikkyy(m): 1:37pm On Jun 10, 2011
snthesis:

now am really confused, are you saying that there are different types of tithes? undecided

Snowwy:

@snthesis,

Correct wink
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 1:39pm On Jun 10, 2011
3 tithes = to 30% of your harvest/salary,

yawa gas shocked shocked
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Snowwy: 1:52pm On Jun 10, 2011
snthesis:

yawa gas shocked shocked

The tenth you give in church does not stop you from helping the needy in the first place or enjoying from your own increase now.
If you look carefully that was what the tithes were basically about.

cheesy I take this as you making a joke of it. Yawa no gas o
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 2:28pm On Jun 10, 2011
i'm not making a joke out of it o shocked shocked

if wat you say is the real interpretation of tithing- then there is no point doing only one part out of three, cos we would still be robbing God according to d Malachai verse
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Snowwy: 2:42pm On Jun 10, 2011
Malachi 3:10:
10Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

From scripture, that relates to the tithe for those working in God's house.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by snthesis(m): 2:47pm On Jun 10, 2011
dat makes it tithe number 4
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Snowwy: 2:53pm On Jun 10, 2011
How is that?

Read II Chronicles 31:4-12:

Excerpts below:

4He ordered the people living in Jerusalem to give the portion due the priests and Levites so they could devote themselves to the Law of the Lord.
5As soon as the order went out, the Israelites generously gave the firstfruits of their grain, new wine, oil and honey and all that the fields produced. They brought a great amount, a tithe of everything.
11Hezekiah gave orders to prepare storerooms in the temple of the Lord, and this was done.
12Then they faithfully brought in the contributions, tithes and dedicated gifts.

Is there still an issue?
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Zikkyy(m): 3:09pm On Jun 10, 2011
snthesis:

If you are paying cash, it's 32% grin

snthesis:

It's an average of 20% (farm produce)/22%(cash), third tithe is paid 3 year interval smiley
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Enigma(m): 2:53am On Jun 11, 2011
ogajim:

According to Creflo, tithe is just the beginning and is not part of GIVING:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8-V1gvyb_c

I find the chap quite despicable.
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Enigma(m): 3:10am On Jun 11, 2011
If there are three types of "tithes", and one of them is below

Deuteronomy 14
23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the LORD your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the LORD your God always.

then, when last did any tithe preacher preach that as it is important to learn to revere the Lord your God always, every month you must take a tithe of your income and throw a party and jollify yourself with it. Oh, and you should do this in church every month! Why? If storehouse now equals "church" what about "the place where God chooses as a dwelling for his name"? That has to be the church too kẹ! Therefore, every month "tithers" should throw a "tithe party" in church and jollify themselves with a "tithe" in addition to paying the Malachi "tithe" into church.

Meanwhile, give me a bit of time to work out how we sort out the third "tithe", you know the one --- that one for widows, orphans etc. Come to think of it, I don't recall any "tithe" preacher telling us we should do that one or how!

Hmmm anyway ṣha, we now know that every month, "tithers" must pay at least 30% in tithes! Cool.

cool
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Enigma(m): 3:21am On Jun 11, 2011
By the way maybe there are four types of "tithes" after all, or even five?

Remember we have not yet added the Abram-Melchizedek tithe; neither have we added the Jacob (promised) tithe.

It seems we are beginning to head into 50% (or 52%, thanks to that too know zikky) territory here!
Re: Another Tithe Thread by Joagbaje(m): 3:56am On Jun 11, 2011
@snowwy

Snowwy:

@snthesis,
Take time to read the whole chapter of Deuteronomy 14.
After that then check out the the scriptures on tithes as quoted below with highlights.

Deut. 14:22-27:
22  Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year.
23  And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.
24  And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee:
25  Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose:
26  And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household,
27  And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

This was obviously tithe to be eaten by the individual, his family and also the poor, levites etc and it was to be taken to a place where God has chosen to place his name.
If the place was far? That means the place could change from time to time and this was obviously not at the temple.
This tithe was for the people to learn to fear God.

Deut. 14:28-29
28  At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates:
29  And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

This tithe was laid up within the peoples gates for the poor, levites also, fatherless, stranger etc so that they could come and eat within the peoples gates and be staisfied.
This was so that the Lord might bless the works of their hands.

Now in the book of Numbers, see the scriptures on tithes:

Numbers 18:21 & 24
21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation
24But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

This tithe was brought to the house of the Lord as an offering. This is the one that was given to the Levites specifically. This was the portion due them.

I hope you understand better now.

Thanks for these illustrations . Many need to see this

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Atheists Are Wrong! / Does The Bible Actually Say Christians Must Tithe? / 10 Nigerian Pastors/prophets Who Gave False Prophecies That Never Happened In 20

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.