Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,802 members, 7,820,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF (6996 Views)

Soludo Celebrates 30th Marriage Anniversary With 6 Children (Video) / Rochas Okorocha And His 6 Children In Round Table Meeting In Abuja / Military Sacks UNICEF From North For ‘Sabotaging Counter-Terrorism Operations’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Hugged: 11:22am On Nov 18, 2021
The United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) has raised concerns over the future of Nigerian children, saying the mental health of kids in Nigeria is under threat.

A report of a new survey conducted by UNICEF in conjunction with Gallup, entitled: ‘The Changing Childhood Project,” indicated that Nigerian children and young adults are increasingly under the most pressure to succeed globally despite limited opportunities and support from the government.

The report, which was released to commemorate the 2021 World Children’s Day, marked annually on November 20, asked multiple generations for their views on what it is like to be a child in today’s world.

The report said more than 21,000 adults and children were interviewed in 21 countries between February and June 2021, and collated samples are probability-based and nationally representative of two distinct populations in each country: people aged 15-24 and people aged 40 and older. Cleaning Services In Nigeria

The countries surveyed by UNICEF are: Argentina, Bangladesh, Brazil, Cameroon, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Japan, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lebanon, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, Peru, Spain, United Kingdom, Ukraine, USA and Zimbabwe.

Data from the survey revealed that young people in Nigeria are increasingly facing mental health challenge, with one in six young Nigerians aged 15 -24 saying they feel depressed with little interest in doing things, worried, nervous or anxious.

The survey which was conducted during the COVID-19 pandemic further examined young people’s opinions about their mental health, worldview, trust in institutions, importance of equality, climate change, and digital benefits and risks, among others.

The findings from the survey showed that young Nigerians show 72 % more concern than youths from other countries .

The next highest are young people in Indonesia, at 63 percent, and Kenya, at 54 percent.

Similarly, children and young people in Nigeria also showed high levels of concern about the risks of meeting someone in person after meeting them online, at 84 percent, slightly higher than children in the United States (81 percent) and Brazil (82 percent).

In the area of finances, young Nigerians show a high level of concern, with 74 percent of females and 66 percent of males worried they don’t have enough money for food.

UNICEF Nigeria Representative, Peter Hawkins, said;

He said: “We cannot bury our heads in the sand and hope these concerns will go away. We need to take action, and the first step is to solicit their views, listen closely and allow their concerns and ideas to influence our policy decisions.”

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2021/11/one-in-every-6-children-in-nigeria-depressed-unicef.html

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by mrvitalis(m): 11:25am On Nov 18, 2021
That's too low 4 in 6 is more like it

I don't believe in God or spiritual things but I have stopped trying to show people religion is scam really

Without religion in Nigeria suicide n depression would be crazy ... religion is like a drug ...and most importantly it gives hope that even if I fail or is poor , hungry and rejected heaven is waiting for me so I must still act nice

75 Likes 1 Share

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by inoki247: 11:38am On Nov 18, 2021
lol depression na laik hobbie for here na....

Person wey no gt money for pocket wey neva chop since morning u say mak e no dey depressed...

where there's pressure on you for u to look out for yourself and your family and the money is not coming in you will surely be depressed nd frustrated...

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by WaistPain(m): 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
No wonder kids for my area no dey too come outside with paynt to play again!!! undecided They are even feeling the impact of this harsh kunu-sipping president we have in Power.....

Why dem no go dey depressed when the price of biscuits and chewing gum dey rise everyday??
Even uncles and aunties wey been dey dash dem money steady no come dey show dem love again. My brother, that alone is enough to make dem fall into depression embarassed

Make God epp us to survive reach 2023 cos e still farrembarassed embarassed embarassed

17 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by BUSHHUNTER: 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Stallion93(m): 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
Very true however this index is much underreported. The concept of depression isn’t well understood in this part of the world, most people still think individual money can cure depression. Talking about children being depressed is beyond the comprehension of majority of us kiss
God help us

8 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by BUSHHUNTER: 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Anthony0094(m): 12:01pm On Nov 18, 2021
That stat is very very wrong

It will be at least 4 out of 6
the government is trying their possible best to make sure that everybody is depress
Titus 700
Gas. 850
To increase electricity tariff next year
Make all the roads not to be safe again, if u no get money 4 flight,u r on own
ASUU go on strike at least twice a year
4 years course u go do 6 yrs

The list is very long
Tell me how u no go dy depress

8 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by God1000(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
True! the agony, anxiety and anguish we go through on daily basis trying to make ends meet with limited opportunities is insufferable, mental health should be taken seriously in Nigeria, you can't be in the right state of mind when faced with numerous problems.

5 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by BlackLaw: 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
True that.
I could go for weeks without talking to anyone.

5 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Kharol1234: 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
Hmm
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Promosaver: 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by mosdii(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
Incorrect

It should have been 6 In every 6 children in Nigeria is depressed.

8 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Sabadon(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
Point of correction "All Nigerians" are depressed, one way or the other

6 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by The5DME(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
Na like 4 in every 6 children is depressed in the shit hole.

1 Like

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by deeway200(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
It means that adult will be 1 of 2

3 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by John389(m): 12:02pm On Nov 18, 2021
5 in every 6 adults are also depressed

7 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by hilltop007(m): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
Meh! This world is too cruel

Contact me for your professional website design. Please check out my portfolio on my signature. Thanks. https://www.nairaland.com/6848299/get-professional-website-ngn33000-only
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Aboguede(m): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
Una be village people!

One out of every 4 children in Europe is depression grin

Talking from experience
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Amspecial: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
grin
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Way4orward: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
Na normal thing since Buhari and APC take over

1 Like

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by busyfingerzz: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
Yet e everyone's pretending to be fine

2 Likes

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Karleb(m): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
A lot of Nigerians don't know what it means to be not depressed, same way they don't understand what it means to be rich.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Muyiwaipere(m): 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2021
Okay now that you know what step are you taking to help
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by Chummynoni(m): 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
Na wa
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by ibelieveinjesus: 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
e choke

1 Like

Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by The5DME(m): 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
[quote author=Able10le post=107733554]Ok[/quote
Mynd44 laslasticlala oam4j mukina seun
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by AoifeNightfall: 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
Lol
Re: One In Every 6 Children In Nigeria Depressed - UNICEF by YourFavorite21(m): 12:04pm On Nov 18, 2021
Me that have been depressed right from primary 2, when the girl I was crushing in my class, left me and followed another boy because I no get 2 pencils.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yahaya Bello: Court Restrains EFCC From Arresting ex-Kogi Governor / Hurray !!! Hausa To Become Nigeria's Second Official Language / Kaduna Curfew: The True Story Of Events Leading To The Violence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.