Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. (59483 Views)

Line In Between: An Interracial Christian Romance. / The Church Girl (Titilope Alabi's Story) / You First Loved Me (Christian Romance) By Rose Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 5:33pm On Nov 20, 2021
A true-life event inspired story.

One

I wasn't looking for a man.

Okay. The truth was... Men weren't looking for me. Not any more.

I was one of those ladies you could call, "Old maids." However, I wasn't old— not in that sense. I was beautiful, slender, could pass for a twenty-eight year old even though I was thirty-nine. And I wasn't a maid.

I've got a good job, my own house and a car. Those were supposed to attract men to me, right?

They didn't.

There was a time I used to get those attentions (I was a head-turner...still is). I guess men got tired of my face and decided to seek after younger women.

How did I know it was my age that scared them? They would always dump me a few weeks after revealing my age to them. And I couldn't lie either.

I was a good Christian (Still am) and didn't want to play games to hook a man... So there... Back to my story ��

I stopped trying to get a man and channelled my energy into building a career and strengthening my relationship with God. I wasn't going to bear a grudge against God for not giving me a husband.

Yes, It hurts to have your younger ones bring their kids for you to babysit while they galavant with their spouses.

Your friends alienate themselves from you because they are now married and you are not, and only remember to call you when they need financial support.

To become a godmother to countless children while men avoid you like a plague once you mention marriage, so there was no hope of having your own kids.

Yes... It hurts like hell but I wasn't going to take it out on God.

It's six years since I took the decision not to pray for a husband and gradually, the desire to be with a man dispersed like mist in the cloud.

And the Lord kept promoting and prospering me (who was I to complain?)

Then, one morning, I heard the Lord say to me. "I am going to give you a man after my heart."

Me: *looked around to know if there was someone with me in the kitchen, but there was none.*

God: "I am going to give you a man after my heart."

Me: Father, I hope you are not talking to me.

God: *for the third time* "I am giving you a man after my heart."

Me: Don't tempt me, God. You know I love you with or without a man so don't play this game with me.

The conversation ended and I left for work.

Fast forward to two weeks later. I was in a Christian organisation's national conversation (name of the fellowship withheld) got me the front seat, a few feet from the podium and was enjoying a great moment of worship when the speaker for the night mounted the pulpit.

A slender, handsome, fair-skinned with pink lips, soft-spoken man that should be in his early fifties.

When I say handsome, this man was super handsome down to his smiles and the most attractive thing about him was that he was oblivious of his looks.

A widower for more than seven years. and with two grown kids, that stay abroad. (He was the national president of our Christian organisation so we know his story)

This sexy-as-an-angel son of the most high was a multi-billionaire with hotels all over the country and moved with a security entourage.

Enough of describing him... Back to my story ��

I watched him lay on that altar as the worship was going on, rolling and praying for minutes. When he stood up and was about to start preaching, the Lord said to me:

God: Here he is.

Ah ah nau. God if you are a joker, this one is too expensive. Baba no dey do this kine thing abeg.

Preaching started...

A few minutes later, he said again.

God: I will make him come to you.

Okay. Now, this is serious. Uncle God... If I don't know your voice, I would have said the devil has started ministering. Mana Biko, stop this expensive joke...

I've not even been anywhere near this man—Ever! He didn't know me... Yes he was our president but for the "wee donkeys of Nazareth's sake," the fellowship has over five million members, this man resided in Abuja and I resided in Enugu, attending a branch where this man had NEVER VISITED!

As these things were going on in my head, Mr handsome son of Jehovah abruptly stopped speaking.

For about three minutes he stood there, with mic in his hand and eyes closed. Then suddenly he turned toward my direction and cast those eyes on me.

Even seated on the front roll, I was still a little far from the podium but I felt that gaze to my bones.

His eyes, piercing smokey dark orbs, locked with mine and I swear I could pick my heart from my mouth that minute.

He saw me!

This man noticed me!!

What he did next sent jitter down the pit of my stomach and flutter coursing through my skin. I saw an almost imperceptible smile walk up to his lips and he gave a slight nod before tearing his eyes away to continue the ministration...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 5:35pm On Nov 20, 2021
This is a fresh story I will be writing from my head. It's not published anywhere yet and has not been edited.

A Christian romance for those that love clean but sweet romance.

I hope you enjoy it.

Give your feedback so I will know you are there.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by ZhyonKross(m): 6:01pm On Nov 20, 2021
Rosemary33:
This is a fresh story I will be writing from my head. It's not published anywhere yet and has not been edited.

I hope you enjoy it.

Awesome please go on

2 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Ifyliss: 6:11pm On Nov 20, 2021
Nice one Rosemary dear..keep it coming

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by IZUKWU(m): 1:07am On Nov 21, 2021
Rosemary33:

I hope you enjoy it.

Am hooked already

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by DebbieSylvex(f): 2:24am On Nov 21, 2021
following!!!....

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 5:23am On Nov 21, 2021
Two

I didn't know how I sat still throughout that program, or how he was able to preach seamlessly after what transpired between us, but I was sure I wasn't listening to any word coming out of his mouth.

What? I had my jittery heart to contend and it was like taming a storm! Not easy at all.

He didn't give me a second glance, not even when he was done and was headed back to his seat!

Okay, God... That's it! If he was for me (As you said) why did he have to just look at me once and that was it!

I needed his eyes on me again, you know... That magical "You look me I look you" moments. What I saw in his eyes that first time, I wanted to see it again.

Was I being desperate now? After waiting all these years? God, you caused it.

I was on my own. Serving you in my little way, and you decided to distort my thoughts with the image of this king of gorgeousness! Now I couldn't get him off my mind.

That look. The lopsided smile—as if he had confirmed something immediately he set his eyes on me. The imperceptible nod... As though we shared a secret no one else knew.

What was going on?

It was sometime after 10 pm before I got back to my hotel room where I lodged for the program (It was in Lagos by the way.) I could swear I was among the last people to leave the venue as I didn't trust my body to behave appropriately— I mean... I was trembling as if I was hit by a large snowball!

Added that excitement and fear were waging war inside of me.

I didn't know why I was feeling that way... He was just another man!

God: Not just another man. He is my General.

What?

Now I saw where the man got his confidence from. God was proud of him... He knew the stuff this man was made of and was showing him off!

Great... Just great, God.

I was in the bath when the Lord said to me.

God: Make sure you meet him before you leave this city.

And how was I supposed to do that?

I didn't know the hotel he was in, and wouldn't dare go asking. How would it sound that a "Sister in the Lord," was asking for the hotel where a great son of God like that... Well known...well respected, was lodging?

What would that do to his reputation and mine?

Besides, even if I managed to find out where he's lodged, I wouldn't go past the gate before his security turns me back.

No God, you wouldn't set me up for mockery.

God: do it.

Me: You do it yourself.

I guess God must have shaken his head and laughed.

The second day of the program. I managed to concentrate on both the worship and the teachings. Break time and I was off to get myself some books and audio messages at the literature stand.

I was still haggling with the vendors when a voice filtered into my ears... A conversation, but his voice was distinct.

When I did a half-turn, I realized it was him! My national president, the man that God had decided to taunt me with. He was amidst three other leaders.

No...God...No...God...why did you bring him? I murmured between clenched teeth. Confused about what I was doing and what I would do next.

Martha, I said to myself, run as fast as you could. Don't make a fool of yourself.

God: Don't mess this up.

Now you are the one trying to mess me up, Papa. You know the last time I felt like this for any man? For your son Jesus' sake, I didn't even know this man well, how come I was already feeling like someone struck by a cupid bow?

"...Don't worry, I will join you people shortly," I heard him say to the...men? Was he dismissing them? Did he know I was the one standing with my back on them?

A scent...no, a fragrant (I think there's a difference between the two) waft through my nose and I didn't need the Holy Spirit to tell me it was him.

It smelt of sweetness and grace— the kind of grace only men like him would possess. Intoxicating in a beautiful way. Welcoming and comforting.

"Can I pay for those?" His voice was warm and gentle. It reminded me of melted chocolate going down my throat.

"Uhm...Sir?" Don't do this to me, God. Please... Deliver me from this temptation.

"He told me I will meet you here."

Okay... Now, this was getting interesting. I turned fully to meet his gaze and... Did I tell you he was handsome? Scratch that. This man was angelic. Age had nothing on him.

"Who told you?" My voice came out in a whisper.

He narrowed his eyes at me, as though he was surprised I asked that question.

"Sir...I..."

"Micheal. You know that already, don't you?"

Sure I did. Who didn't? Even a baby in the fellowship knew. But I couldn't just call him by his name!

We had people stopping by to greet him. Wanting to shake his hands or have a word of prayer said to them about a situation or two.

Was that the man the Lord wanted me to hook up with?

His phone rang before any word could form in my head. Glancing at it, I saw him frown and he cast his eyes back at me. That penetrating stare made me feel like he was looking into my soul.

"I have to go."

I know... wasn't he supposed to be always busy? He shouldn't even be standing there with me.

"I'll see you later... We have a lot to talk about."

Cat got my tongue.

"Oh." He turned to the vendors. "Give her whatever she needs and send the bill to me."

And he was gone!
I didn't even tell him my name!

9 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by yettielicious(f): 10:19am On Nov 21, 2021
Dear Rosemary,
Thanks for this awesome story, I’m loving it already, however please do not leave us hanging…
Lots of love

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Joelobioha(m): 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2021
Ure talented..chop knuckles.. But please continue as we are following keenly or else we go get problem grin grin..peace

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 3:20pm On Nov 21, 2021
Joelobioha:
Ure talented..chop knuckles.. But please continue as we are following keenly or else we go get problem grin grin..peace
abeg problem no go dey o. I go continue am grin grin
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Joelobioha(m): 3:24pm On Nov 21, 2021
Rosemary33:
oya ah dey wait.. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Joelobioha(m): 3:37pm On Nov 21, 2021
Rosemary33:
I believe In you..you're awesome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 10:01pm On Nov 21, 2021
Michael.

Why do you want me to walk this part again Lord?

It's the fourth time I was asking God this question since he hinted to me on his plan to match me with a spouse. I wasn't searching. Why would I? He was enough for me.

Him, the kids and the good things of life he'd blessed me with.

Three times did I inquire of the Lord about this issue, three times he said nothing. But today he spoke.

As I left her, walking through the arena to the auditorium where thousands of hungry souls await to hear what the Lord would say through my lips, I heard him say:

"You have mourned Ugo for a long time."

Ugo was my wife, my companion for 22 years and the Lord knew what she meant to me. He gave her to me. She was my strength... Everything I needed and more.

God knew all these and yet he felt I've mourned Ugo enough? No amount of years were enough to dedicate to my Ugo, no woman would be able to capture my attention again—Except this petite woman I just met.

Why did the lord choose when I was on the pulpit to show her to me? And to think that I'd found myself battling emotions I never knew was still alive inside of me when I sighted her from the podium.

The excitement rushing through me, the sudden skipping of my heart, the sensation that tightened my core. Was that you, Lord?

Did you arouse those feelings in me or was it just my body reacting to seeing her?

A sudden shame clothed me as I thought about how I've boasted that no woman would arouse me the way Ugo did.

But this one did.

How old is she?

What is her name?

How do I even locate her again?

I didn't have time to find out more about her and I should be ashamed.

What an awkward situation. An awkward, sweet situation. I smiled as I stepped into the auditorium and proceeded towards the podium.

In the next forty-five minutes, I would be called upon to minister the word, which means my eyes would roam around the congregation. A part of me wished she wouldn't be sitting close to where my eyes would capture, another part leapt at the thought of locking gaze with her.

Christ! What was happening to me?

Settling my gaze on the moderator of the program, I willed my eyes not to go in search of her. That worked for a few minutes and then my head turned— the first direction my eyes went was on the second roll by my left and she was there.

"So innocent. So small. So beautiful—" I couldn't believe I just murmured that.

She looks too young for me, Lord, I thought.

"She is perfect for you." I heard the Lord say.

I turned my eyes away for fear that she would catch me staring again. The whole thing was becoming hilarious, I thought, stifling the laughter that was rumbling from my bowel.

God sure knows how to crack jokes.

Martha

Tonight was the final day of the convention. Tomorrow he would leave. Back to his life of wealth and affluence while I? I would be going back to my demanding job, empty house and thank you God for adding "missing someone I just met" to my predicament.

Why would you even play this fast one on me, God? I wasn't searching for a man and you know that!

God: You like him.

Me: That's not the point.

God: What is the point?

Me: How do I handle this sudden sensation that just aroused in me? I wasn't even supposed to nurse these feelings for a man I just met. It's... It's... Not proper, it's carnal.

God: I will make everything beautiful in my own time.

Okay. I hear you. Now can you make me stop jittering as if I'd been deeper into an icy water? And yes... The flutter in my stomach, please make it stop. I was beginning to feel stupid.

Nothing.

I didn't hear from God concerning my feelings. I guess that was his way of telling me "deal with it yourself. Learn some control."

So I did make sure I didn't stare directly at his face as he started speaking. With my head lowered as I penned down key points from his message. I wondered if I would meet him after this section and how best would I approach him so I wouldn't embarrass both of us.

Should I go after him Lord or should I just respect myself and go home?

God: I will make everything beautiful in my own time.

But you were the one that said I shouldn't leave this state without meeting him?

The ways of the Lord, sometimes I don't understand.

Three hours later and the program was over. I survived... In fact, I was deep into what the holy spirit was doing that I forgot the feeling I had towards the graceful man of God.

I was outside the auditorium, about to start finding my way back to my hotel room when that familiar fragrance floated into my nose.

This time I didn't bother turning my head for I knew he was going to come to me.

"Ride with me, let me take you home."

Okay, I wasn't expecting that.

Should I accept the offer?

Should I not?

11 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by preshman22: 10:55pm On Nov 21, 2021
This story reminds me of a fat girl's stort
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Oluwakemisolami(f): 10:35pm On Nov 22, 2021
Pls oooo madam Rosemary don't leave us hanging ooo.
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 6:37am On Nov 23, 2021
Four

Martha

"Sir..."

"Michael, the name is Michael."

"I know, but I can't call you that." I brought my voice low for the fear of being heard by passers-by.

We shouldn't be seen together!

He stared at me for a while... Was the weather cold or was my inside melting into a puddle at his intense gaze?

"You know you have to learn how to use my name someday," he said.

I know that, but now... Everything seemed too awkward and overwhelming.

He was overwhelming.

"We better start heading to the car if we are going to escape the many that may trudge me soonest."

"I... I can get a cab to my hotel, I don't want to stop you from attending to the needs of others."

I felt a brief flash of jealousy at the thought of him giving his attention to others... Softening his eyes and baring his impeccable teeth at them in a smile.

God! I shouldn't be doing this. Martha, your emotions shouldn't be on overdrive.

He sputtered laughter he seemed to be holding back for a while. And oh... The sound of it.

"You are exactly the way he said you will be."

Wait... What? While I was minding my business, God was giving this man my portfolio?

"What else did he say to you?" I asked boldly.

"If we leave here fast, I may have the time to tell you half of it."

Half? I wanted all, I thought as I followed him to the park where his entourage was waiting.

Was it just me or were all these people waiting for him looking at us as if the sky had fallen. It was obvious this prince of gorgeousness hadn't been seen with a woman for a long while.

And to think that he opened the car and urged me in while every other person waited.

God... I should turn back and run.

A few minutes later and we were riding home. In his exotic car that was filled with his presence and an aura of the Holy Spirit.

We said nothing to each other for a while. What was there to say? Having him sit beside me took my breath away.

I was awestruck!

"You are nervous." He finally broke the silence.

"I'm not."

"You're trembling."

Yes, I was. Not from the cold air emanating from the AC that seemed to be working in full blast. But from the knowledge that he was there. And the fact that I was suddenly feeling pulled towards him.

If this was love, it shouldn't be this striking. I'd appreciated it to go slow, but...

"So do you mind giving me your name now?"

"You didn't ask for it before."

"I am asking now."

Was that a hint of amusement in his voice? "Martha," I said, allowing my eyes to roam the interior of the car. God! This man must be eating dollar notes for breakfast.

"Martha." He relished the name as if it was warm milk in his mouth. "I love it."

"Thanks." I needed to say something other than one syllabi word. I was beginning to feel As if I was a dumb idiot sitting in that car.

God, you set me up for this, please don't let me fall my hand.

"You want to ask me something?" How in Jesus' holy name did he know?

"Sir?"

"It's Micheal to you. Please call me by my name."

"It will take me some time to get used to calling you, Micheal."

"You just did."

Laughter bubbled inside me, nudging my mouth and I let go. Okay... The sound of my laughter isn't pleasant to the ears. I know that when I laugh, it could be mistaken for an engine chortling to life and the worst was it always ends with a subtle snort.

I didn't want to laugh the way I did before him for fear of turning him off, but then he joined in and before long, a ripple of smothered laughter circled the car.

When it ended, I turned and caught him staring at me as if I was the best thing that ever happened after Akara and bread.

"Sir?"

"You laugh like a child. So freely..." Was it a good thing? "And can you please tell me what it will cost me to have you call me by my name this night?"

It wasn't hard to address him by his name, what was hard was trying to tone down the feeling of awe I had for him so I could be able to at least look him in the face.

"What do you do?" I asked the only question that was able to form in my head.

"Aside from jumping from one platform to the other preaching the gospel. I'm an architect by profession. An estate developer and a businessman."

No mention of the many five-star hotels that he had, scattered all over the country. The malls and plazas... Ha! Why was he trying to form humility?

God: Because he's mine.

Oh! How could I ever forget that God is in the car with us? Nice...

"You mind telling me about you? What do you do?"

"Nothing big." Compared to your portfolio. "I work with an advertising agency. Head of marketing."

"Oh."

Yes, oh... And when did I leave the far end of the car I curled myself to earlier and was now edging towards him? My knee could almost brush his and I fear what would happen to my poor inside if that happens.

Horses would be galloping at the pit of my stomach.

I found myself loosening up as he navigated our discussion from personal information to social lives and every other thing.

And it wasn't like he was out to interrogate me, he just wanted to have a conversation and was having fun doing it.

I liked it that I was the one who could make him laugh so hard that he was dabbing tears from the corner of his eyes.

"I can't believe you are making me laugh this hard," he said. "It's been a long while I experience this kind of freedom with anyone other than my children."

"I am glad I was able to make you laugh, Micheal."

"She finally called me by my name."

To that, I felt warm walking up to my cheeks at the same time the car slowed in front the hotel I was lodging.

I felt the joy of the last few moments dissipating, leaving me with gloom as the car finally stopped.

This would be my last moment with him until we were able to decide where we would be taking this relationship (If I would call it that) to.

"Don't do that," he said, covering my hands with him. I had to swallow the pleasure spree that rushed up to my throat.

Goodness! His palm was as soft as a baby's skin and I heard my heart sing as his hand made contact with mine.

Was it too early to call this love?

"What?" I managed to ask

"Your face. Don't look sad." He noticed! Did he know I was going to miss him so much?

"When will I see you again?" Wait... Did I ask that? God No! That was a desperate question.

"When the Lord wants it to be." Am I dating the Lord now?

"I will make sure we see again, soon. I promise."

And I believe him. With that, I stepped out of the car.

I was already retired for the night when I remembered that we've shared almost everything about us except numbers.

He didn't ask for my contact. What kind of man spends time with a woman and does not collect her phone number?

Or would God provide him with that too?

You should have asked for his instead.

I shouldn't be the one doing the wooing, he's supposed to be the forward one here, not me!

8 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Oluwakemisolami(f): 10:25am On Nov 23, 2021
[quote author=Rosemary33 post=107877157]Four

Martha

"Sir..."

"Michael, the name is Michael."

"I know, but I can't call you that." I brought my voice low for the fear of being heard by passers-by.

We shouldn't be seen together!

He stared at me for a while... Was the weather cold or was my inside melting into a puddle at his intense gaze?

"You know you have to learn how to use my name someday," he said.

I know that, but now... Everything seemed too awkward and overwhelming.

He was overwhelming.

"We better start heading to the car if we are going to escape the many that may trudge me soonest."

"I... I can get a cab to my hotel, I don't want to stop you from attending to the needs of others."

I felt a brief flash of jealousy at the thought of him giving his attention to others... Softening his eyes and baring his impeccable teeth at them in a smile.

God! I shouldn't be doing this. Martha, your emotions shouldn't be on overdrive.

He sputtered laughter he seemed to be holding back for a while. And oh... The sound of it.

"You are exactly the way he said you will be."

Wait... What? While I was minding my business, God was giving this man my portfolio?

"What else did he say to you?" I asked boldly.

"If we leave here fast, I may have the time to tell you half of it."

Half? I wanted all, I thought as I followed him to the park where his entourage was waiting.

Was it just me or were all these people waiting for him looking at us as if the sky had fallen. It was obvious this prince of gorgeousness hadn't been seen with a woman for a long while.

And to think that he opened the car and urged me in while every other person waited.

God... I should turn back and run.

A few minutes later and we were riding home. In his exotic car that was filled with his presence and an aura of the Holy Spirit.

We said nothing to each other for a while. What was there to say? Having him sit beside me took my breath away.

I was awestruck!

"You are nervous." He finally broke the silence.

"I'm not."

"You're trembling."

Yes, I was. Not from the cold air emanating from the AC that seemed to be working in full blast. But from the knowledge that he was there. And the fact that I was suddenly feeling pulled towards him.

If this was love, it shouldn't be this striking. I'd appreciated it to go slow, but...

"So do you mind giving me your name now?"

"You didn't ask for it before."

"I am asking now."

Was that a hint of amusement in his voice? "Martha," I said, allowing my eyes to roam the interior of the car. God! This man must be eating dollar notes for breakfast.

"Martha." He relished the name as if it was warm milk in his mouth. "I love it."

"Thanks." I needed to say something other than one syllabi word. I was beginning to feel As if I was a dumb idiot sitting in that car.

God, you set me up for this, please don't let me fall my hand.

"You want to ask me something?" How in Jesus' holy name did he know?

"Sir?"

"It's Micheal to you. Please call me by my name."

"It will take me some time to get used to calling you, Micheal."

"You just did."

Laughter bubbled inside me, nudging my mouth and I let go. Okay... The sound of my laughter isn't pleasant to the ears. I know that when I laugh, it could be mistaken for an engine chortling to life and the worst was it always ends with a subtle snort.

I didn't want to laugh the way I did before him for fear of turning him off, but then he joined in and before long, a ripple of smothered laughter circled the car.

When it ended, I turned and caught him staring at me as if I was the best thing that ever happened after Akara and bread.

"Sir?"

"You laugh like a child. So freely..." Was it a good thing? "And can you please tell me what it will cost me to have you call me by my name this night?"

It wasn't hard to address him by his name, what was hard was trying to tone down the feeling of awe I had for him so I could be able to at least look him in the face.

"What do you do?" I asked the only question that was able to form in my head.

"Aside from jumping from one platform to the other preaching the gospel. I'm an architect by profession. An estate developer and a businessman."

No mention of the many five-star hotels that he had, scattered all over the country. The malls and plazas... Ha! Why was he trying to form humility?

God: Because he's mine.

Oh! How could I ever forget that God is in the car with us? Nice...

"You mind telling me about you? What do you do?"

"Nothing big." Compared to your portfolio. "I work with an advertising agency. Head of marketing."

"Oh."

Yes, oh... And when did I leave the far end of the car I curled myself to earlier and was now edging towards him? My knee could almost brush his and I fear what would happen to my poor inside if that happens.

Horses would be galloping at the pit of my stomach.

I found myself loosening up as he navigated our discussion from personal information to social lives and every other thing.

And it wasn't like he was out to interrogate me, he just wanted to have a conversation and was having fun doing it.

I liked it that I was the one who could make him laugh so hard that he was dabbing tears from the corner of his eyes.

"I can't believe you are making me laugh this hard," he said. "It's been a long while I experience this kind of freedom with anyone other than my children."

"I am glad I was able to make you laugh, Micheal."

"She finally called me by my name."

To that, I felt warm walking up to my cheeks at the same time the car slowed in from the hotel I was lodging.

I felt the joy of the last few moments dissipating, leaving me with gloom as the car finally stopped.

This would be my last moment with him until we were able to decide where we would be taking this relationship (If I would call it that) to.

"Don't do that," he said, covering my hands with him. I had to swallow the pleasure spree that rushed up to my throat.

Goodness! His palm was as soft as a baby's skin and I heard my heart sing as his hand made contact with mine.

Was it too early to call this love?

"What?" I managed to ask

"Your face. Don't look sad." He noticed! Did he know I was going to miss him so much?

"When will I see you again?" Wait... Did I ask that? God No! That was a desperate question.

"When the Lord wants it to be." Am I dating the Lord now?

"I will make sure we see again, soon. I promise."

And I believe him. With that, I stepped out of the car.

I was already retired for the night when I remembered that we've shared almost everything about us except numbers.

He didn't ask for my contact. What kind of man spends time with a woman and does not collect her phone number?

Or would God provide him with that too?

You should have asked for his instead.

I shouldn't be the one doing the wooing, he's supposed to be the forward one here, not me!

Thanks for the update sis...
Expecting more

2 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Joelobioha(m): 11:53am On Nov 23, 2021
Your command of English is outta this realm...amazing..

2 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Carterj007(m): 12:04pm On Nov 23, 2021
Thank you for this beautiful story.

2 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 10:43pm On Nov 23, 2021
[quote author=Oluwakemisolami post=107882948][/quote] kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 10:44pm On Nov 23, 2021
Carterj007:
Thank you for this beautiful story.
thank you too for reading. I appreciate you.
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 10:44pm On Nov 23, 2021
Joelobioha:
Your command of English is outta this realm...amazing..
Thank ya kiss kiss
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Joelobioha(m): 11:23pm On Nov 23, 2021
Abeg hala me on the next episode..
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by preshman22: 9:06am On Nov 24, 2021
I Love God

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 10:49pm On Nov 24, 2021
Five

Michael

"The beloved of the Lord." The man that had mentored me in this journey with the Lord rose to his feet as I walked into his sitting room.

Pa Adebowale's home was my third best place in the world.
I'd set my place of comfort in this order— the presence of God, which is virtually everywhere now as I realized that the church and the pulpits only could not contain him. My house because God lives there, and Pa Abebowale's home.

"Baba." I bent to touch the old man's foot giving him the time to pat my back.

"You are a big man now Adekunle." The Old man had refused to call me by my English name and that's okay. "You shouldn't be touching my feet each time you see me."

"What kind of son would that make me?" If not for the man, I would have still been in Oshogbo ploughing my father's cocoa farm— maybe, maybe not. I may not have met the Lord and may not have saved my father's house that was deep necked in idol worshipping.

"I'll always dobale before you till I return to the Lord," I added, taking a seat beside the old man.

He rang for one of the stewards and ordered for a bottle of wine. "Mama has gone out." He said. It was obvious because the woman would have been the first to welcome me has she been around.

She was never tired of ruffling my hair as if I was still his little boy.

"I was with you throughout your program. Watched through the satellite." The wine arrived and the man allowed me to serve him. "It's amazing what the Lord is doing through you, son."

"I don't deserve it, but he chose me." It could have been anyone... An ordained pastor even but...

"Yet, you have refused to come into the ministry fully."

One thing I was sure of, the Lord didn't call me to be an ordained pastor. The mission was to gather laymen and lead them to Christ. The fellowship I was heading cut across denominations and races.

An international community of men and women from around the world who could belong to their different churches and still be part of what the Lord is doing.

I didn't choose this, the Lord was clear on his mandate. But my spiritual father thought otherwise.

That was the only place we disagreed—me and him.

"Manning a denomination is not for me, Baba. You know this." I downed my drink and went for a refill.

"I met her." When it came to Baba and me, there was a lot we understood without being explicit. And this matter was one of them. "At the convention." I sipped from my drink and sat down the cup, waiting for Baba to say something.

"Hmm." Was all that came out from the old man's throat. But his face held that knowing grin. The same one that was there the day he told me the will of God to give me a spouse.

He wasn't the first, the Lord has told me two weeks before in our secret place.

I rejected it. Yes, it would be a betrayal to Ugo. I needed no other woman. No one would take the place of Ugo in my life.

Baba had grinned like he was doing now, and had prayed that the Lord would make my heart willing when the time comes.

"Baba, did you hear me?"

"I am old, not deaf, Ade." Was that it? All he had to say to me after I told him of my meeting with this Lady?

"She is... She..."

"You like her." The old man knew? Was it evident on my face?

"I fought it, Baba." The Lord took me unawares and that wasn't fair. I should have girded myself against the attraction, should have rehearsed my response. "I couldn't take my eyes off her. I was at the pulpit Baba... Why did the Lord choose that moment to make me set my eyes on her."

"And you like what you saw." The man softened his face as if he was the one struck by a charming woman. Draining his own drink, he smacked his lips, savouring the taste of the wine and my revelation.

"That's not the point."

"What is the point." He asked.

"I don't think I am ready. I will be doing Ugo and the kids a great injustice if I do this."

"Come." Baba rose and started walking towards his veranda. I followed.

"You know why I took you from your father's house and brought you to stay with me?" He asked, settled down on a cane chair. I did same.

"I saw in you a boy that has a sense of responsibility." Baba had never explained his reason for taking me out of Oshogbo before. Why now?

"You don't want to fail your family, so you toiled day and night to keep them floating. I knew you would be a great asset to the Lord, but you would never answer the call as long as you remain close to your father and had his responsibility hanging on your neck."

When Baba came to my village as a teacher, I was thirteen. The school wasn't a necessity for me, learning my father's worship and keeping his farm was.

I didn't know what Baba saw in me and had insisted my father allow me to go to secondary school in the city.

It was a battle between him and my parents...

"I've seen you approach everything thing you do with the same sense of responsibility and dedication and had not failed in any."

"Why are you telling me this now, Baba?"

"You are about to allow your strength become your weakness."

What...how?

"You took Ugo as your responsibility and gave her your all." Ugo gave me all of her too. She was a gift from God to me.

"When she took ill and died after all you did to save her, you didn't want to get angry at God so you transferred that aggression inward."

"That's not true Baba." I understood that the Lord gives and takes away, why would I get angry at him or at my...self? Was Baba right?"

"That sense of responsibility, that dedication now mixed with anger. You feel that by clinging to her even in death that you are proving yourself."

"Baba please." I didn't want to hear any more. I love Ugo but I wasn't blaming myself for her death and definitely not trying to prove anything.

"Now you've met a woman whom your heart yearns for again and you are confused. You like her..." A lot, and it's making him want to rip his heart out and wash it clean. The feeling shouldn't be this overwhelming, he shouldn't be having his heart palpitate each time he thought of her since yesterday he returned—which seemed to be regularly.

"Love takes time, Baba. But this one is stricken. So magical, as if something was pulling me to her." Even talking about her now sent a sweet sensation down his core.

God! She is just a lady, why was it so difficult to remain calm immediately the thought of her crossed his mind.

"So, where is she from?" Baba asked.

"Huh? I don't know." I didn't ask.

"What church does she attend?

Jesus Christ! He didn't ask that either. Didn't even ask for her last name and her number...

" Did you even speak with her?"

"Yes, Baba."

"What did you people talk about then?"

He couldn't say exactly. All he knew was he found himself drawn to her laughter and before he knew it, he had joined in.

Loving softness of her face, the dimples on both cheeks. The twinkle in her eyes.

It was her face.

He couldn't think of any other thing as he stared at that merry face.

"I...we...it didn't occur to me." He must have sounded stupid as the old man busted out laughing.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 24, 2021
I love, love this story kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Horlardorjah(m): 8:56am On Nov 25, 2021
Jaylynn:

Present

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 10:21am On Nov 25, 2021
Jaylynn:
grin
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by djpaparazzi(f): 11:20am On Nov 25, 2021
Beautiful story..... Keep it up

1 Like

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by vetrovialMan(m): 11:23pm On Nov 25, 2021
Enthralled shocked
Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by Rosemary33: 8:29pm On Nov 27, 2021
People of God please bear with me. Yesterday and today was crazily busy for me so I couldn't post.

You know this story is a fresh one and not written anywhere so I don't have to copy it and paste.

I have to tell fresh stories every day to be able to post. Please I will do that tomorrow.

Make una no vex o

3 Likes

Re: The Church Girl Christian Romance. A Short Story. by preshman22: 9:21pm On Nov 27, 2021
Rosemary33:
People of God please bear with me. Yesterday and today was crazily busy for me so I couldn't post.

You know this story is a fresh one oand not written anywhere so I don't have to copy it and paste.

I have to tell fresh stories every day to be able to post. Please I will do that tomorrow.

Make una no vex o
Who am I to vex??

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie And Lupita Nyong'o's Outfits Recreated By Little Girls / Diary Of A Love Sick Writer By Angelsss / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.