Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,307 members, 7,860,758 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 03:40 PM

The Coldest Region In Whole Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Coldest Region In Whole Nigeria (984 Views)

It's Not Even Jos-Plateau; The Coldest Region In Nigeria: My NYSC Experience / Emeka Emekesiri: Biafra Should Be A Region In Nigeria — Founder Of Original IPOB / ‘My Face Is Freezing’: Nigerian Man Blogs From Russia’s Coldest Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Coldest Region In Whole Nigeria by UsmanIll: 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2021
Mambila Mountain is believed to be the coldest place in the whole of Nigeria.

On the hill it’s hardly to find people who is is cooling devices such as refrigerators, fans and air conditioners because they are not needed.

Read more below;

https://en.arewatimes.com.ng/2021/11/22/the-coldest-region-in-nigeria/

Re: The Coldest Region In Whole Nigeria by UncleAyo: 5:08pm On Nov 22, 2021
This is very much correct.

I did my NYSC here at mbamga, Mambila at Sardauna Local Government of Taraba state.

Mbamga is deep after Gembu and is boundary of Nigeria and Cameroon.

If you like wear 20 clocths you will still catch cold.

Let me quickly share my experience at Mambila here:

My National Youth Service NYSC Experience in Mbamnga, Taraba state (October '15 to March '16) pt. 1

Brief Description of place:
Mbamnga is a remote community located directly on Mambilla plateau, Sardauna Local Goverment of Taraba state. Tribes in mbamnga include majorly the mambillas and Fulanis with preponderance of the Mambilla people. Other tribe include Kaka, panso and Kanbu.
Two distiguished feature of mambilla plateau is the hilly landscape and the temperate weather which makes it the coolest area in nigeria.

Facts:
1. Mambilla plateau has an Altitude 2419 meters, 7936ft above sea level (height of about a 900 story building in Lagos) making it the highest peak in Nigeria.

2. Weather is temperate, with highest Temperature of 25 degree celsius (77 degree F) during a sunny day. The coolest part in Nigeria. You sweat less.

3. Major languages include Mambilla, fulfude, kaka and Hausa.

4. Have you heard of mambilla beans? That strong beans that takes days to cook, It is from there.

Advantages:
1. Temperature: weather in mbamnga is always cool, sunshine is moderate, fill with chilling air.

2. You save money: in mbamnga, their is no bank and market is after 10 days intervals. As a corps member you save money with a budget plan because of the difficulty involved in accessing your banked cash.

3. Abundant of fruit: fruits expecially african pear and banana are in abundance in mbamnga.

4. Good quality bread: If you want a very quality bread mbamnga is the place you can get it.

5. Cheap meat: meat is in abundance here, with little cash you can buy meat quantity that doubles what you can get in Ibadan

6. Communication: Due to language diversity and need to communicate with other tribes, children at tender age learn, understand and can communicate in English. Their is no language barrier in reaching out to people.

7. People in mbamnga are accomodating and friendly, they love to entertain visitors with corps members inclusive (although bad eggs can't be found wanting in every society). They are peace loving and are alway ready to help.

8. Cross-country? Yes, Mbamnga community is located where nigeria borders with Cameroon, to enter cameroon boundary take less than 40 minutes on byke.

9. Mbamnga is mosquito and tse-tse fly free, so their is little or no recorded case of malaria of night blindness.

Challenges:
1. Distance: mbamnga is far away from town, one and half hour from Gembu the local goverment secretariat, 10 hours journey from Jalingo the state Capital and 34 Hours from Ibadan.

2. Water supply: been on the hill, only source of water is government supply which is not evenly distributed. Many people even corper use spring water channeled into gutters to for bath and cooking.

3. Market: their is no proper market in mbamnga, the only farm product market is 10 days intervals where some farm product are even wanting

4. Transportation: due to lack of road network and presence of an unbridged river, major means of transport is through motorcycle which need to be carried in canoe while crossing the river. Also some manbilla vehicles are carried using big canoe carrier.

5. Harsh weather: air can tend to freezing cold at night and disturb sleep at times. Water needs to be heated before use in the morning.

6. Security: although the people are cool, don't engage in violent act, no theft, but for politics and tribalistic herders/farmers clash. A Police station present is poorly equiped with only two officers and zero ammunition.

7. Network coverage: Their is no coverage in mbamnga. To make or recieve call, one will need to travel far and climb montains and at time you cannot use local network but roam with cameroon network which charge double.

8. Bad road: paths created up and down hill serves as road. It's tressfull to travel hours on such roads. No tiled road and those graded are erosioned. Most kids, even some adult have never aeen tiled road.

9. Electric Power supply is a no no. some of their children never know government provides elctricity. People in mbamnga uses individual power generators and get their premium motor spirit from black market alone. No filling station.

Opportunities:
1. waterfalls for power generation
2. Cool weather favours some type of crop not grown in nigeria
3. abundant of raw materials for animal products e.g skin, hoof...
4. Good soil for agriculture e.g tea and coffee cultivation
5. Nearby game reserve (Gashaka game reserve)
6. Mbamnga is an international boundry
7. Population favour labour availability
8. Limestone
9. Abundance of Timbers

Personal Opinion:
The other day in Lokoja, while I was watching a NTA broadcast, my mind told me where they were showing was mbamnga and voila, it was. They were talking on possible investment due to the cool weather condition (Tea and coffee cultivation). I love the people in mbamnga, I will like to go back to mbamnga to do some business there.

3 Likes

Re: The Coldest Region In Whole Nigeria by UncleAyo: 5:44pm On Nov 22, 2021
Here is the link to the complete story of my NYsC experience at Mbamga (part one and part two)

https://www.nairaland.com/6862501/coldest-region-whole-nigeria-nysc
Re: The Coldest Region In Whole Nigeria by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 22, 2021
The coldest region in Nigeria is Oshogbo
Re: The Coldest Region In Whole Nigeria by Racoon(m): 5:59pm On Nov 22, 2021
Coldest place in Nigeria is the Jos-Plateau.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Troops Eliminate IPOB ESN Kidnapper, Foil Abduction Attempt / Kogi 2024: Campaign Posters Of Senator Dino Melaye Surfaces / Enjoy Some Ariel View Of Aba Enyimba City

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.