Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,590 members, 7,770,538 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:30 AM

Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge (61905 Views)

See The Original Design Of The Nigerian National Flag. / See What Amaechi Did While The National Anthem Was Being Recited... / Middle-belt Group Dump Buhari And Pledge Their Support To Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by prophet(m): 2:06pm On Feb 14, 2006
Salute to you all my brethren!

UP UP NIGERIA. MAY GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.

Just as a follow up to my previous post on the topic of ("Nigeria Calls": Arise O Compatriots; Nigeria's Call Obey), I feel the need to post this challenge for us all to share with the whole universe.

What does the National Anthem of Nigeria mean for you? Do you know it by heart? How about the National Pledge? Likewise? Would it not benefit us all if we learn both by heart and teach them to our family members (children and all)? A nation begins and is sustained with the patriotism of the citizenry. As with when reading a love poem, the National Anthem and Pledge are well focused to bind us together in unity. This must begin with our commitment to taking responsibility and ownership (not by force; but by choice and good sense).

I believe we shall do well to remember the words and reflect on them in all we think, speak and or do. A sense of belonging and patriotism is not something that any government can force on any citizen. Whether a government is good or bad should not destroy any citizen's stake in the nation. The identity of any citizen is rooted in the national statement(s) of identity. I am a Nigerian means a lot to me and I choose to know what binds us together; i.e. the National Anthem and Pledge.

Many of us out in the diaspora now have to learn the national identities of (and make some kind of commitment to) our host nations. We do this out of choice we may say; but in fact, many of us will not do so unless it is enforced. Some of us did not have to, but things are fast changing. Then, how about our fatherland, Nigeria?

We all have a civic responsibility; not to the government in essence, but to the Nation. Our primary allegiance is to the Nation, Nigeria. I must say that our duties then of course include to be a good citizen and ambassador; this includes being loyal to the nation and to the government of the day in all the positive agenda. We would naturally have concerns which we must vent in a civil and lawful way. This is a godly order and elements of this can be found in a democratic setting.

I do not suggest that any government is perfect; neither is any system of governance perfect. I am saying that we must not allow ourselves to get carried away and derailed from the need for the best interests of Nigeria to prevail in all we think, speak and or do.

I urge that we make a new and concerted effort to renew our interest in Nigeria, commitment to Nigeria, hope for Nigeria etc. in such a way as to once again fully respect our Nigeria and be willing and ready to honour our Nigeria by renewing and rebuilding our trust and hope and commitment to our National Anthem, Pledge and pride with regard to this Nigeria.

I hope you enjoy and feel proud of this reminder. It is not intended to ridicule, undermine or confront you; it is borne of an excitement within me that I am sharing for all who are keen to see a New Nation of Nigeria thrive, prosper and succeed in my lifetime in an ever changing world.

Only we can make our nation great. Let us join hands together and rebuild a sustainable Nigeria for the sake of all.

UP UP NIGERIA. MAY GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.

Peace.

Written by Prophet Folayan Osekita MBA.

NB.

THE NATIONAL ANTHEM

Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heroes past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom,
Peace and unity.

Oh God of creation,
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youths the truth to know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace
And justice shall reign.

THE NATIONAL PLEDGE

I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by TerrySoft(m): 5:23pm On Dec 12, 2008
Arise, O! Compatriots is one word that struck my heart lately and going through the Nigerian pledge, it reminds me of so many things including current issues in the Nigerian nation and I'm wondering if our leaders today have ever taken time to look at the pledge they made everyday for many years through their primary and secondary school days.

May God Help Nigeria!
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by sfiea: 2:57pm On May 31, 2009
Sorry, I know this topic is old, but I was googling up Nigeria's National Anthem and this page came up as a link.

I was helping my son with his english home work, topic was comparisons and simile,
we got to "As familiar as the _____ " and I asked him and his mother to take turn to recite the two National Anthems and Pledge, which they all fell short of a word or two for mum, and a laughing galore for my son, in the middle of the fun was a reflection on the wordings, which made me emotional and almost wept for our dear nation, Nigeria. Our selfish instead of selfless leaders and we the people uhmm!!!, do we all remember these words and reflect on them daily?

Maybe if we do, we might have a better Nigeria, just me thinking aloud now

1 Like

Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by ifyalways(f): 3:34pm On May 31, 2009
Ask our Politicians and Senators to recite the National Anthem and Pledge. . .u wud be pleasantly suprised and have a good laugh. cheesy
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by sfiea: 7:02pm On May 31, 2009
It is well, I celebrated Democracy day without power (light/nepa), was on gen all day.

"Great lofty heights can never be attain" by burning money on fuel for gen 24/7

or when you are rendered useless all day cos of power.

I don't know if our leaders don't understand the word "POWER". Power, powers' all thing, without it, uhmmm!!!
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by Nobody: 8:41pm On May 06, 2010
Uhmm. . .Power' doesn't actually powers all thing, u knw, wink
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by udezue(m): 8:58pm On May 06, 2010
Can barely remember it.
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by sjeezy8: 10:03pm On May 06, 2010
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of america into the republic for which it stands one nation under god indivisible with liberty and justice for all.

i think thats how my shiot goes iunno tho been a minute.
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by chiefanan: 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2011
I strongly believe that with the right amount of determination and focus and faith that we may one day gain back the true kind of NIGERIA that we persistently hunger after, I love my country nigeria. I am from this country and wouldn't definitely turn away from her any day.
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by Mynd44: 7:13pm On May 13, 2012
When you turn the National anthem and Pledge into some song students are forced to recite during assembly, what do you expect?
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by Yeske2(m): 10:01pm On May 13, 2012
With the present state of our nation, the anthem and national pledge makes no sense to me.
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by vanillaz: 2:26pm On Dec 17, 2012
the 2nd best rendition of the nigerian national anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2g5Ighc3z0
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by Joemint(m): 12:32pm On Mar 14, 2013
Guide our leaders right......... Plz God do diz 4 all nigerians, especialy 4me who iz so patriotic
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by drnoel: 2:21pm On Mar 14, 2013
ifyalways: Ask our Politicians and Senators to recite the National Anthem and Pledge. . .u wud be pleasantly suprised and have a good laugh. cheesy

Let me give u guys anoda one that makes more sense....

Faith of our fathers, living still,
In spite of dungeon, fire, and sword;
Oh, how our hearts beat high with joy
Whene’er we hear that glorious Word!

Refrain:
Faith of our fathers, holy faith!
We will be true to thee till death.

Faith of our fathers, we will strive
To win all nations unto thee;
And through the truth that comes from God,
Nigeria shall be truly free.

Faith of our fathers, we will love
Both friend and foe in all our strife;
And preach thee, too, as love knows how
By kindly words and virtuous life.
Re: Nigerian National Anthem And Pledge by jaguas: 6:50pm On Jul 27, 2013
look out the national pledge i mean d wording

I pledge to Nigeria my Country - YOU PROMISE 2 UR COUNTRY

to be faithful, loyal and honest - IN ANY OFFICE/WORK THAT THE GIVE U 2 HOLD U WILL HONEST, LOYAL & FAITHDUL ..

to serve Nigeria with all my strength - IN YOU YOUTH U WILL SERVE D COUNTRY (NOT A BOSS BUT A STEWARD)

to defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory - IN YOU YOUTH U WILL DEFEND U COUNTRY, CREATE UNITY, PEACE, HONOUR & GLORY (BEAUTY) OF UR COUNTRY (NOT DESTROYING IT OR VANDALIZING TINGS

so help me God - A PRAYER TO GOD FOR HELP AND DIRECTION.

PLS MY PEOPLE U HAVE BEEN SINGING THIS SONG OR RESITING ON IT SINS U ARE 3 0R 4 YEARS OLD UP TO NOW AND THE WILL GIV U OFFICE A APPOINTMENT BUT U WILL STILL WANT 2 .... AND WANT GOD'S BLESSING OPEN U. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TINK OF THIS
YOUTH DONT CARRY A CAUSE ON U PLS TINK OF IT?

THE NATIONAL PLEDGE

I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.

(1) (Reply)

The Moment Abacha Announced The Arrest Of Abiola For Declaring Self 'president' / Abba Kyari In Katsina To Fight Kidnappers & Armed Bandits (Photos) / This Photo Of Buhari Went Viral This Week On Fb And Twitter[photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.