Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,145 members, 7,835,828 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US (1931 Views)

France-based Nigerian Travels To Lagos, Leads Cyberattacks On 10 Banks (pics) / My Nigerian Childhood Friend Killed In South Africa Xenophobic Attack - Oyinbo / Man Uses POS To Defraud Customers N1.2b (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by prumetrics: 11:19am On Nov 25, 2021
A Nigerian man in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, United States is going to federal prison for his role in an identity theft scheme in which conspirators tricked 10 banks into sending duplicate debit and credit cards, then used them to buy merchandise for resale in Nigeria.

And his lawyer said his criminal cohorts in Africa "took advantage" of him 

US District Judge J. Nicholas Ranjan sentenced Sulemon Arowokoko, 32, to 3½ years behind bars, Nigeria Abroad reports.

Arowokoko and another Nigerian man, Samiat Akinyemi, were indicted in 2020 on charges of conspiracy, access device fraud and aggravated identity theft.

Arowokoko pleaded guilty in June.

He admitted that he was part of a conspiracy to steal the identity of bank customers to get duplicate debit and credit cards in the customers' names. The criminal group then used the cards to buy more than $250,000 worth of gift cards, clothes, perfume, jewelry, and furniture. Arowokoko shipped some of the items back to Nigeria.

Assistant US Attorney Jeff Bengel said the theft ring was sophisticated. One member used personal information from a victim and contacted the person's bank to "hijack their account."

Once inside, the group asked for new bank cards to be issued in the person's name and sent to an address connected to the conspiracy. One of those addresses was Arowokoko's house in Pittsburgh; a second was a house where he had previously worked as a home health care aide.

From the fall of 2017 to the summer of 2019, when the US Department of Homeland Security raided Arowokoko's house, he used the cards hundreds of times to buy ....https://sleekgist.com/my-nigerian-friends-made-me-defrauded-10-banks-mechanic-caught-in-us/

1 Like

Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by KingEverest: 11:20am On Nov 25, 2021
cry it will take 100years to redeem nigeria`s image on the international scene

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by dangermouse(m): 11:26am On Nov 25, 2021
Crime does not pay. They will not hear.
What do I know, when the society worships and adore money.

1 Like

Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by expertman(m): 11:36am On Nov 25, 2021
Hmmmmmmm
Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by richiemcgold: 12:41pm On Nov 25, 2021
You were simply greedy. That's all.
..you ain't the only one having Nigerian friends.

1 Like

Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by JavaScript90: 1:38pm On Nov 25, 2021
Not an excuse before the law

1 Like

Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by Boogyman557: 2:22pm On Nov 25, 2021
Holly Gram cool 10 BANKS, I SAMANKWE 4 u... WTF MAN
Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by cassidy1996(m): 5:53pm On Nov 25, 2021
You dey America, you nor fit do legit work

Na people like these come make getting Visa come hard
Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by Amalekki: 6:59pm On Nov 25, 2021
Man up. Who cares who made you do it? The decision is yours and the consequences are yours. Typical of many to always blame others when the result of their actions/inactions are received.
Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by Nukilia: 12:33am On Nov 26, 2021
My son if sinners entice you, consent thou not undecided
Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by CrownOfClay724: 6:37am On Nov 26, 2021
Mechanic who is supposed to be earning something decent even without meddling in dirty waters, see what he's become.
Re: My Nigerian Friends Made Me Defraud 10 Banks - Mechanic Caught In US by TeeGentle(m): 7:05am On Nov 26, 2021
there is no day i will not hear they have arrest some nigeria overseas
today maybe fraudster, tommorrow drug, while next tommorrow.........................

(1) (Reply)

Video: Hunger Plague I'm Lagos. People Are Flogged Because Of #100 Bread / See What A Friend Of Mine Came Across In Abuja (Viewer Discretion) / The Young Man Who Jumped From 6-storey Building Survived. See His New Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.