Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,417 members, 7,850,489 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:35 PM

Kogi: Why Okun(yorubas in disguise) Can’t Be Gov Now –speaker Olafemi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kogi: Why Okun(yorubas in disguise) Can’t Be Gov Now –speaker Olafemi (807 Views)

I Can’t Be Bello’s Deputy, Says Faleke / After Annulment How Can Wine Still Be Gov Before Fresh Poll? / Why APC Can’t Be Ashamed Of Aregbesola – Lai Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kogi: Why Okun(yorubas in disguise) Can’t Be Gov Now –speaker Olafemi by Chyz2: 5:40pm On Jun 09, 2011
[size=15pt]Kogi: Why Okun can’t be gov now –Speaker Olafemi[/size]

From EMMANUEL ADEYEMI, Lokoja

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Kogi State House of Assembly Speaker Clarence Olafemi has explained why power shift may not be achievable now in the state: “It may be very difficult for an Okunman to become governor in Kogi State, unless we are more united and we change our passive attitude to politics. We cannot go out alone, we must negotiate with our ethnic groups in state.

The out-going said this when he paid a “thank you” visit to traditional rulers in his domain. He thanked the monarchs for the support he enjoined while he was in office as the acting governor of the state in 2008, during the governorship re-run. Olafemi was the longest serving speaker of the state House of Assembly having been the speaker from 2007 till date without impeachment. He is currently the deputy governorship candidate of the Peoples democratic Party (PDP), in the state. He also debunked the insinuations that Governor Ibrahim Idris’ administration has not done enough for the Okun people:

“As your royal fathers would recall, Kogi State was on the brink of crisis of incalculable proportion when I stepped in as acting governor. With your support, I was able to put the machinery of government on track and did my best such that within 24 hours after leaving the governorship seat, the Attah Igala and president of the state council of chiefs hosted a reception in my honour where I was conferred with the title of Ogah Attah Igala.
“The following day, my royal fathers in Okun land conferred on me the title of the Asiwaju of Okunland, with 20 other titles following in sequence all in acknowledgement and appreciation of my performance in office.

“Within my 60 days in office as the acting governor, I initiated and executed 59 projects which cut across the three senatorial districts of the state. Among them are the construction of the Shintaku-Mozum-Oguma Road, the Idah erosion control project which gulped over N200 million, both in the Eastern senatorial district. In the central axis, I awarded and paid the mobilization fees of Ageva- Ogori Road project.
“In the western senatorial district, I iniated and established the College of Education (Technical) Kabba, Governement Science Secondary School, Mopa, Junior Secondary School, Okedigba and several other road projects.

“On the issue of producing an Okun governor, I remain strongly committed to the issue of power rotation. That was why I put all my resources into the governorship contest. I was here in the Obaro’s palace with six of the seven other contestants from Okun where series of meetings were held for us to step down for one candidate so that we can have an indivisible house.
“Again, I attended all the meetings called by our leaders under the chairmanship of General David Jemibewon for us to have a consensus candidate. But to my surprise, my Okun brothers instead of cooperating decided to go their different ways. Even several attempts to form an alliance with the Ebira in the Central axis also failed
“As the zero hour drew nearer, all efforts to arrive at a consensus candidate among the aspirants from the west and central failed. I knew defeat was certain for all of us, all aspirants were on the political field negotiating individually.

“On my honour, my royal fathers, I did not know what others were negotiating. I was offered the position of a deputy governorship slot, which after due consultations with some Okun political leaders I accepted.
“I believe with this position, a lot can be achieved in terms of our entitlements, democracy dividends, socio-economic and political emancipation, if I occupy the position of a deputy governor.

“To my greatest surprise, some of my fellow contestants went all out to discredit me, calling me all sorts of names, all because they wanted me to fall as they fell. They forgot that God’s plans for every one differs. “It may be very difficult for an Okun man to become governor in Kogi State, unless we are more united and we change our passive attitude to politics. We cannot go out alone, we must negotiate with our ethnic groups in state
“This is not the time for Okun to leave the PDP. Our sons were among the founding fathers of the party. We have laboured in the PDP, we must reap there.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/june/09/national-09-06-2011-005.html
Re: Kogi: Why Okun(yorubas in disguise) Can’t Be Gov Now –speaker Olafemi by Chyz2: 5:53pm On Jun 09, 2011
I agree.Good advice. smiley
Re: Kogi: Why Okun(yorubas in disguise) Can’t Be Gov Now –speaker Olafemi by seanet02: 6:12pm On Jun 09, 2011
Resembles why Ibos will never Be Nigeria's President
Re: Kogi: Why Okun(yorubas in disguise) Can’t Be Gov Now –speaker Olafemi by AndreUweh(m): 9:30pm On Jun 09, 2011
The Okun people are still in PDP. In a multi ethnic and multi cultural state like Kogi, it is proper for the Okuns to link well with others in the state.

(1) (Reply)

Bi-courtney Starts Work On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / Boko Haram=informal War. / Suggestion: How The Nigerian Youths Can Protest Against Bad Govt. Peacefully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.