Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,834,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience (31248 Views)

Why Women Lack Conscience / How Children Of The Dead Share Proceed Made From Funeral Ceremonies In Igboland / Name A Song You Dont Play At A Funeral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Testimony1988(m): 11:44pm On Nov 26, 2021
If one is being served and he or she takes it, I don't see anything wrong there, but when they begin to rush for the foods, then is not proper.
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by snoopz: 11:56pm On Nov 26, 2021
Hunger never hold you before sha
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Benrosaria(m): 11:58pm On Nov 26, 2021
Olam09:
grin abi this one don craze

Not at all. Na you no kon undertand when to say thank you and am sorry.

Thank you to whoever dies

And am sorry for who hurts

Appreciation as gratitude is wrong. Cause by default every human deserves good so it is for every human to be good by default
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by HonestFriend: 12:36am On Nov 27, 2021
I been think say say na my popular mama... Who b this lucky dube brother?
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by jimcaddy(m): 12:59am On Nov 27, 2021
See this man. I have seen an old mama struggling for takeaway pack of jollof rice inside church during the burial of a young man young enough to be her son oh. See you.. many go chop the rice and destroy the chicken bones to pieces.. Nigerians don't dull food parole at all especially party jollof.

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Akhee: 4:01am On Nov 27, 2021
laiperi:
Only if you are older than the dead. But water is okay.

It all depends on the culture.

Dancing at the Igbo funerals is one of the cultures I appreciate. Maybe also enjoy.

Yoruba eat, drink and also make room for Aso Ebi, depending on the age of the deceased.

Hausa also blow cultural trumpet.

Hausas don't blow trumpet. Being Cultural or Spiritual.
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Truvelisback(m): 4:36am On Nov 27, 2021
Him no serious. Tegolo's voice, Mummy, who don die, don die ooo!
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by chukxie(m): 4:40am On Nov 27, 2021
In America, food and drinks are served at funerals. The same goes for Mexicans. The Koreans do it, too. In some communities in China, when an elderly person dies, food and drinks are served for 2 days to sympathizers who in turn give the bereaved money in red envelopes. The problem with burial ceremonies in some parts of Nigeria is the unnecessary demands for goats, cows, fish, drinks and money by some stupid family heads, village heads and community youths who are often tasked with digging graves.

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Orente21(f): 4:58am On Nov 27, 2021
We r celebrating the life spent by the person na.its only if it's a young person that die that it's bad. But for old people, we ll even pick aso ebi
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by kenmaro: 6:33am On Nov 27, 2021
It's not a mandated expense, most people do it for status/ societal showoff. Truth be told; sometimes when you attend most funeral reception, in the course of the entertainment jamboree one might think they are in a wedding/marriage ceremony coupled with the decorations around.

drizslim:
I guess the exorbitant high rate of burial expenses in Anambra must have motivated the movie veteran to say this

Anambra do pass others
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by KingLarry04: 6:34am On Nov 27, 2021
So the food should waste abi, that even reminds me, I have an owambe to attend today, jollof rice and semo go suffer
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Jazzy55: 6:48am On Nov 27, 2021
As long as the food has been made available then na to chop clean mouth! Ahbi you want make the food waste nii
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by ayandee: 7:10am On Nov 27, 2021
Aarenasbaba:
There is a Yoruba proverb that says
An elder person died in the house and u said young ones should not be given food.... Are the young ones the cause of his death ?
Me go chop ooooo
Correction: A person dies and you said only children should be given food. Are the elderly ones the cause of his death? Oku ku won ni ka fun omode l'ounje. Şe agba ile lo pa oku je ni?
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Coolgent(m): 7:12am On Nov 27, 2021
I am still puzzle on how a fellow human will dine and dance during funeral of his beloved.

2 Likes

Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Inem1211: 7:41am On Nov 27, 2021
This one no get sense
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by bignero: 8:43am On Nov 27, 2021
BigSarah:
It's a celebration of life for Pete sake, only bad if the deceased is really young.

nigerians and follow and follow, can you really in common sense and english explain what this celebration of life means....? let me execuse you because you cant....your just seeking an opportunity for your owambe spirit to come out and enjoy
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by highoctane: 8:50am On Nov 27, 2021
Let's read what God says in this. The bible book of Ecclesiastes chapter 7 verse 2:Better to go to the house of mourning than to the house of feasting, for that is the end of every man, and the living should take it to heart. and verse 4:The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning, but the heart of the stupid is in the house of rejoicing.
But the question remains, should they bereaved not show any form of hospitality? Should those who went to console the bereaved refuse to accept food or drinks?
The answer is No in both aspect.
Today burials are no longer localised when someone out of very concern for a friend or family who loses someone in death travels from Lagos to Enugu or Port Harcourt to Ilorin as an example, he won't be offered a refreshment? If he or she is offered whatever form of food and drink is at the disposal of the bereaved family, was his or her intentions to attend the burial solely to eat and drink? May be or may be not, if may be such one is very foolish as to verse 4 of that scripture, but if may be not, he took the wise part of verse 3.
Moderation is required from both the bereaved and sympathizers.
For the bereaved family organizing an ostentatious burial ceremony , let's read God's opinion in bible book of Proverbs chapter 11 verse 10: The goodness of the righteous makes a city rejoice,
And when the wicked perish, there is a joyful cry. ( Meditate on verse b of this scripture)
If ones intentions is to attend a burial to eat, drink, dance, and scramble for gifts that's vanity and lack of moral sense.
If the bereaved family intention is to close down cities and towns to burial their so called loved one, they should reflect on wise word from God in Proverbs 11 verse 10b., signaling the have lost a wicked person in their midst, that's God's view.
God is not a joy killer, he recommends rejoicing and merriment to a wise limit. Psalms 104:14,15 and he cautioned against excess in Proverbs chapter 23 verse 20: Do not be among those who drink too much wine,
Among those who gorge themselves on meat.
In 1 Corinthians 10vs 31 reads"Therefore, whether you are eating or drinking or doing anything else, do all things for God’s glory.
Acquire the mind of God at https://www.jw.org
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Awise09(m): 9:32am On Nov 27, 2021
Foreverdope:
Controversial filmmaker has taken to his social media account to shade those who attends funeral to eat or drink.

According to the filmmaker, Nwelue, he claimed that anyone who eats or drinks in a funeral lacks conscience.

Item No. 7, has become a part and parcel of funerals in Africa, and families who organize the burial ceremony for their loved ones factor food and refreshments for their guests.
Reacting to Nwelue’s view, many social media users revealed that taking foods or drinks at a funeral is already a habit Nigerians have formed and would be very hard to stop.

Read the reactions here:

Ụmụada just left the whatsapp group.. Those ones that will even request for a big loaf of bread and tea– amahcah

No mind them to think that people ate amala and goat meat when my Dad died – seweetestmori

No be for Yoruba funeral, nobody go tell you before you drag amala and ewedu – ojuolape866

That’s why I love my Muslim brothers, they have the simplest funerals ever – abujasextoyshop

So we should waste the food? the grieving family will now waste their money cooking food no one would eat. Haaa they won’t like that o – commonmanblog

Some people will eat at a funeral and still carry take away as if they were praying for the person to die – jessicabae2010

You never see anything come to the Northern part of Nigeria is a big occasion, either at age 1 or young and prime.
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Timagex(m): 10:10am On Nov 27, 2021
Preciousppearl:
e don tae wae I notice am and if na celebration of life the food go over plenty

grin
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by oviexcels(m): 11:25am On Nov 27, 2021
This is rubbish
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Lindner: 11:49am On Nov 27, 2021
Go to Ghana and see how crazy an entire culture can be about burial. I've never seen anything like that in my life.

2 Likes

Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by ultimateprof: 2:27pm On Nov 27, 2021
Because person die make person no eat again? Who go get strength carry the dead body put inside ground? This guy dey crazy!
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Aarenasbaba(m): 3:07pm On Nov 27, 2021
ayandee:

Correction: A person dies and you said only children should be given food. Are the elderly ones the cause of his death? Oku ku won ni ka fun omode l'ounje. Şe agba ile lo pa oku je ni?
Gbere mode yii cheesy cheesy cheesy , Ori e a kanke
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by Tundex911: 3:58pm On Nov 27, 2021
Alaye person wey don die don die, make the living soul enjoy life before ours...

Peace ✌️
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by SweetDipBenny(m): 7:32pm On Nov 27, 2021
U cook food, u serve people and then expect them to say no U shouldn't cook in d first place
Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by RedboneSmith(m): 10:14pm On Nov 27, 2021
This may be true of people who go there to drag food. Or the Umuada and co who make specific demands, and even ask for things they don't eat in their houses.

But when you're seated quietly and food is brought to you, are you supposed to reject it? Who will now eat all the food the bereaved must have prepared? It should waste? Is that one not more conscience-less?

1 Like

Re: Onyeka Nwelue: Anyone Who Eats Or Drinks At A Funeral Lacks Conscience by genaro2000(m): 3:27pm On Jan 02, 2022
Lindner:
Go to Ghana and see how crazy an entire culture can be about burial. I've never seen anything like that in my life.
Good afternoon sir, I want to discuss some things with you, I have been doing JavaScript for some time now, I will go into reactjs soon.
I have been doing some research on blockchain development for some time now. Please I just need to discuss some of my findings and ask you some questions. How do I contact you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

15 Signs That Confirm You’re A Typical Nigerian / Ooni Ogunwusi & Wuraola Visit Tukur In Abuja - Photos / Popular Masquerades In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.