Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,769 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:19 PM

Is Saying "I Cover My ..... With The Blood Of Jesus" Correct? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Saying "I Cover My ..... With The Blood Of Jesus" Correct? (3629 Views)

The Solar Eclipse, The Blood Moon, This Generation, And The Coming Of Christ / David Ibiyeomie Reacts To Killings: The Blood Of Killed Christians Will Cry Out! / “Blood Of Jesus” Drink Sold For N2,000 In Akwa Ibom (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Saying "I Cover My ..... With The Blood Of Jesus" Correct? by gremp(m): 12:24am On Nov 29, 2021
As Christians it's common place to hear to hear or say phrases like "I cover myself/my food/the road etc with the blood of Jesus".

I myself grew up hearing and saying that but recently, while watching a Q and A with Mike Winger on YouTube, a question about whether saying that phrase is right or wrong was asked and he said it's wrong, supporting his assertions with scriptural references and evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Am7zc6wq9U

I didn't really accept what he said at first because this is what I grew up hearing and saying and someone all of a sudden is saying it's wrong, so I delved into the Bible to do my own research.

I found out that mostly when the blood of Jesus Christ is being spoken of in the New Testament, it's paired with salvation and how it's the sacrifice (John 3:16) that cleanses us and makes us acceptable before God.

So Blood of Jesus = Cleansing/Consecration for the specific purpose of our salvation.

Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14, Hebrews 9:14, Hebrews 10:19, Hebrews 13:12, 1 Peter 1:19, 1 John 1:7
Not used for inanimate objects but for our(humans) redemption and salvation.

So where did the use of the "Blood of Jesus" for the food you want to eat, protection while traveling, for your pen/tv/car/etc when it's not working come from?

I remembered (and people I was discussing this with also gave this scenario) the instance of blood of the lamb used on the lintel above the door of the houses where the Israelites lived when they were in Egypt (Exodus 12) and since Jesus Christ is the Lamb(Revelations 5:6) and likened to a Lamb(1 Peter 1:19), and a lamb was used (Exodus 12) for protection, therefore the case for "I cover myself in the Blood of Jesus" being used is justified for when we need protection.......well....... that's just wrong.

Firstly, it was a one time command but was commemorated through the Passover Feast.

Secondly, where is "I cover..... With the blood of Jesus Christ" in the Bible??

-But God understands what I mean when I say the phrase
()But now you you're no more ignorant of the Blood of Jesus Christ and what it signifies, so why do you want to do what you're comfortable with and say "God will understand" rather than what God's will concerning that matter says?, Is it your will be done or His will be done?

-But what will we say when praying for protection, on our food etc.
() Is simply asking God for protection and for him to bless your food too weak or inadequate? Or he won't listen and answer your prayers because it doesn't have enough big words?, Is your faith and trust in him useless?

I hope I was able to pass this message across clearly and if you have contrary scriptural evidences, please do tell me and let's discuss them.

I sometimes do notice myself almost slipping and reverting to using that phrase the way I used to, just like when I stopped saying "Oh my God" everytime I'm surprised or exclaiming because it cheapens and doesn't honour the name of God which is hallowed, so it's a conscious effort by the grace of God.

Please do note
- I'm not disclaiming the communion.
- Do not take the scriptures out of context e.g. singling out a verse and making conclusions based on the singular verse, as some do when it comes to tithing and oppressing women by saying the scripture says "women should not speak" etc because if the Bible is taken out of context it'll contradict itself. Ask for God to give you understanding and read the whole book that contains the verse you're quoting to understand what it means.
- Be willing to learn more about God but be careful of false teachings, study the scripture, do not let any human being be the utmost authority rather let the Word be be first. 2 Peter 1:20, 1 Corinthians 14:26.

God bless you and may He continue to enlighten us.

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "I Cover My ..... With The Blood Of Jesus" Correct? by Kobojunkie: 1:58am On Nov 29, 2021
gremp:
1. So Blood of Jesus = Cleansing/Consecration for the [b]specific purpose of our salvation.[/b]

Not used for inanimate objects but for our(humans) redemption and salvation. So where did the use of the "Blood of Jesus" for the food you want to eat, protection while traveling, for your pen/tv/car/etc when it's not working come from?

2. I remembered (and people I was discussing this with also gave this scenario) the instance of blood of the lamb used on the lintel above the door of the houses where the Israelites lived when they were in Egypt (Exodus 12) and since Jesus Christ is the Lamb(Revelations 5:6) and likened to a Lamb(1 Peter 1:19), and a lamb was used (Exodus 12) for protection, therefore the case for "I cover myself in the Blood of Jesus" being used is justified for when we need protection.......well....... that's just wrong.

Firstly, it was a one time command but was commemorated through the Passover Feast.

Secondly, where is "I cover..... With the blood of Jesus Christ" in the Bible??

3. -But God understands what I mean when I say the phrase
()But now you you're no more ignorant of the Blood of Jesus Christ and what it signifies, so why do you want to do what you're comfortable with and say "God will understand" rather than what God's will concerning that matter says?, Is it your will be done or His will be done?

-But what will we say when praying for protection, on our food etc.
() Is simply asking God for protection and for him to bless your food too weak or inadequate? Or he won't listen and answer your prayers because it doesn't have enough big words?, Is your faith and trust in him useless?
1. That statement is not entirely correct! Jesus Christ's body, and his blood were both shed in order that the New Agreement may be ratified. He have up His life that He may instead live in and through us here. undecided

The only permission He gave us where His body and blood are concerned were in the eating of his body and drinking of His blood. We were given no authority to wash ourselves in it, to wash our hands or cloths or anything else in it. undecided

So, those who "cover themselves in the Blood of Jesus " instead engage in pagan practices of spreading blood over objects or subjects as protection - the practice is antiChrist. undecided

2. First of all, Jesus Christ is not a Passover Lamb but let's attempt a comparison anyways.

* God never told the Israelites to cover themselves in the blood of the Passover lamb in Exodus 12. God instead asked them to instead smear the blood of the lamb on the door post, not on themselves - they were commanded not to eat or drink the blood of the lamb since the life of the lamb is in the blood.

* In Jesus Christ, Jesus Himself gave us His body to eat and His blood to drink promising us the new agreement (between God and individuals) along with eternal life when we obey Him.

There is little correlation between the two practices except they are both rituals ordered by God for different purposes. undecided

3. Those who do that which God has not commanded, is His name, do so against God. It is akin to adding laws to God's Law as given to us by Jesus Christ, the one who is God's New Covenant agreement in the Kingdom of God. No man has authority to add, change or remove commandments in God's Law to us. Those who do sin against God everything they do that. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "I Cover My ..... With The Blood Of Jesus" Correct? by gremp(m): 3:00am On Nov 29, 2021
Kobojunkie:
1. That statement is not entirely correct! Jesus Christ's body, and his blood were both shed in order that the New Agreement may be ratified. He have up His life that He may instead live in and through us here. undecided

The only permission He gave us where His body and blood are concerned were in the eating of his body and drinking of His blood. We were given no authority to wash ourselves in it, to wash our hands or cloths or anything else in it. undecided

So, those who "cover themselves in the Blood of Jesus " instead engage in pagan practices of spreading blood over objects or subjects as protection - the practice is antiChrist. undecided

2. First of all, Jesus Christ is not a Passover Lamb but let's attempt a comparison anyways.

* God never told the Israelites to cover themselves in the blood of the Passover lamb in Exodus 12. God instead asked them to instead smear the blood of the lamb on the door post, not on themselves - they were commanded not to eat or drink the blood of the lamb since the life of the lamb is in the blood.

* In Jesus Christ, Jesus Himself gave us His body to eat and His blood to drink promising us the new agreement (between God and individuals) along with eternal life when we obey Him.

There is little correlation between the two practices except they are both rituals ordered by God for different purposes. undecided

3. Those who do that which God has not commanded, is His name, do so against God. It is akin to adding laws to God's Law as given to us by Jesus Christ, the one who is God's New Covenant agreement in the Kingdom of God. No man has authority to add, change or remove commandments in God's Law to us. Those who do sin against God everything they do that. undecided

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reaffirming what I said.

1 Like

Re: Is Saying "I Cover My ..... With The Blood Of Jesus" Correct? by gremp(m): 4:17pm On Jan 16, 2022
Happy Sunday

(1) (Reply)

Are Pastors Not Soppose To Work? / The Catholic 'Mary' is not the Mary of the bible!!! / Does The Bible Preach Racism?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.