Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,090 members, 7,818,277 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds (5759 Views)

Lekki Port Struggles To Gain Traction Amidst Economic Headwinds / IMF Proposes Higher Taxes As Solution To Nigeria’s Fiscal Challenge / Theodore Orji To EFCC: I Am Vulnerable To COVID-19, I'm Above 70 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by GodHatesBigots(m): 11:06pm On Nov 29, 2021
The World Bank says Nigeria’s fiscal position is fragile and vulnerable to global headwinds.

The bank disclosed this in the November edition of its Nigeria Development Update (NDU) titled “Time for Business Unusual”.

According to World Bank, without immediate macroeconomic reforms, Nigeria will remain exposed to oil shocks, adding that fuel subsidy payments may also deplete the government’s scarce resources.

“While global oil prices remain high, the expected relaxation of OPEC+ quotas and the planned release of oil reserves by China and the United States should ease upward price pressure and may even cause prices to decline,” the report reads.

“In the absence of deep reforms to non-oil revenue policy and administration, non-oil taxes will likely fall short of their targets and be unable to compensate for oil shocks.”

The Bretton Woods institution also said that off-budget spending and rising debt-service costs would continue to drive expenditure pressures.

According to the report, the federal government has historically underbudgeted for debt service by failing to account for the cost of ways and means financing.

“Without appropriate measures to reduce Ways and Means financing and restructure the existing debt stock, the heavy cost of debt service will further constrain the government’s fiscal space,” the report noted.

While highlighting the role of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in exchange rate stability, the World Bank said there had been intense pressure on the naira, with the apex bank constantly raising the nominal official exchange rate.

It added that the CBN’s foreign exchange management system was too rigid, with the system driving inflation in the country.

“The government’s exchange rate management policies continue to discourage investment and fuel inflation,” it added.

“Exchange rate stability is a key CBN policy objective, and to preserve its external reserves the CBN continues to manage FX demand and limit the supply of FX to the market.

“Pressure on the naira remains intense, and while the CBN has raised the nominal official exchange rate three times since the start of the pandemic (by 15 percent in March 2020, five percent in August 2020, and seven percent in May 2021), FX management remains too rigid to respond to external shocks.

“Meanwhile, exchange-rate management has emerged as one of the key drivers of inflation.”

The report also said that CBN was yet to introduce enough flexibility into FX management to sustainably respond to external shocks, adding that the NAFEX rate was not a true reflection of the market.

“While the CBN supplied an average of $2.5bn to the Investors and Exporters forex window in the months just prior to the COVID-19 crisis, it only supplied an average of $0.5bn in the months thereafter,” it said.

“The NAFEX rate, which is now the guiding exchange rate for the economy, continues to be managed and is not fully reflective of market conditions.

“The parallel market premium over the NAFEX rate reached 29 percent in August 2021 after the CBN cut off its weekly supply of $20,000 per bureau de change. The CBN has intermittently supplied forex to BDCs since 2005, providing ample opportunities for currency round-tripping.”

According to the World Bank, Nigeria faces a critical choice: it can continue to pursue a business-as-usual policy approach while its economy and job market deteriorates, or it can undertake bold reforms that put Nigeria on a robust and sustainable long-run growth trajectory.
https://www.thecable.ng/world-bank-nigerias-fiscal-position-is-vulnerable-to-global-headwinds/amp

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by CaptainAyub: 11:10pm On Nov 29, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Even world Bank knows buhari is an ongoing disaster.
Som1 that took d 3rd fastest growing economy in the world and 1st fastest in Africa to the poverty capital of the world in less than 6yrs grin
No only nairaland janjaweeed crew from Ogbomosho and Ilorin no gree grin

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by BigSarah(f): 11:12pm On Nov 29, 2021
Majority of Nigerians are in support of his policies and style
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by LokoH(m): 11:15pm On Nov 29, 2021
K
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Treasure17(m): 11:17pm On Nov 29, 2021
BigSarah:
Which majority? Back it up with stas please.

14 Likes

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Lastmankc(m): 11:21pm On Nov 29, 2021
Buhari is a destroyer,the mummified demented lifeless vegetable is repeating what he did in 1987

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by BigSarah(f): 11:22pm On Nov 29, 2021
Treasure17:

Which majority? Back it up with stas please.

There's no nationwide outcry or even protest, when anyone attempts they're termed Enemies of Nigeria...

5 Likes

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by FarahAideed: 11:25pm On Nov 29, 2021
Even World bank is knows the man is a disaster

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by athaboi(f): 11:40pm On Nov 29, 2021
Buhari is the worst human to preside over a country as a president! Never again shall will allow such to happen in our time! NEVER

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Namnam: 2:03am On Nov 30, 2021
BigSarah:
No one supports buhari, people support local governments like Lagos and Abuja mayors but buhari spent his time in power by showing open support for terrorists and encouraging policies that led to inflation and civil unrest, the sooner he’s gone the better this country becomes

5 Likes

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by inoki247: 2:26am On Nov 30, 2021
I don't know where dey keep getting dere policy from how can you limit a debit card to $100 monthly abg to buy what toothpick so far I can afford what I want to buy why limit my card...

If you come dey sell the thing for card users t maybe 550 while black market be lik 570 at least u don try....

Buh u block people access to FX while you guys and your family have multiple access to it....

Sometime I dey feel like say na dead people dey rule us cos all diz kain of deadly policy no dey before 2015 so aw we tak arrive here...
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by BruncleZuma: 4:44am On Nov 30, 2021
grin grin grin grin
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by DOTian: 5:15am On Nov 30, 2021
They are borrowing avaraciously while padding the budget very viciously, just to provide enough funds for their billion dollar projects in Niger republic et al

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Grace001: 5:17am On Nov 30, 2021
Buhari eyes don clear now, he has wasted our scares resources looking for oil in the north.

Now world bank has confirm that an oil dependence economy isn’t sustainable

Anywhere belle face government, no direction

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Rahym001(m): 5:42am On Nov 30, 2021
Emiefele is a disaster, the guy is as clueless as buhari.

The CBN Chief is the problem

1 Like

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by InoGetJoy: 5:44am On Nov 30, 2021
DOTian:
They are borrowing avaraciously while padding the budget very viciously, just to provide enough funds for their billion dollar projects in Niger republic et al
These guys are stealing more money than they and their 10th generation won't be able to finish. They know Nigeria will soon be collapse so right now, it's grab as much as you can. My only annoyance is that Nigerians don't seem to know this

2 Likes

Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by backnbeta(f): 5:46am On Nov 30, 2021
A bad government cannot only be called a ‘bad’ government; the real adjective should be this: Enemy! Yes, bad government is a real enemy for the country it governs, an enemy within! Those who are in charge of the affairs of this country now are the real enemies, with their anti people policies.
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by sematec(m): 6:02am On Nov 30, 2021
g
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 30, 2021
Let's wait for the apc as.s-lickers to come and say the World Bank is talking rubbish.

Instead of waiting for the FG to make things better why not earn foreign currency without giving your money to anyone to trade for you. Yes. I'm talking about cry.pto...curr...ency trading where you use artificial intelligence. No third parties. No experience needed. No losses.

This country will not help you. And for those who want to term this a scam read again and see where I said you do not give your money to anyone.
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Nobody: 6:25am On Nov 30, 2021
Buhari has been inflicted on Nigerians. How people could vote this is a wonder. Woe unto those who inflicted Buhari on us !
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by omokab: 6:39am On Nov 30, 2021
The first mistake buari make was to live emefele as the CBN governor and second was to reappoint him as the CBN governor for the second time. I could you live an appointed PDP man in a critical position like this. He has not help foreign exchange since he got that position. This is why we are having high cost of goods in the country and the investors were running away. Second problem is the minister of finance without any direction. The two should be relieve of their position if we want a better economy policy. Then price control policy should also be in place to monitor reckless price hike by middlemen in the country. Just to mention a few
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by thundafire: 6:48am On Nov 30, 2021
Buhari is a disaster
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Oritna94(m): 6:56am On Nov 30, 2021
Nigeria is finished. Thank God I don jappa. Make I start to plan my life. It is never to late to start all over.
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Handsum64: 6:56am On Nov 30, 2021
athaboi:
Buhari is the worst human to preside over a country as a president! Never again shall will allow such to happen in our time! NEVER
I am sure you have satisfied your urgy with this your comment?
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Mjpem23(m): 7:13am On Nov 30, 2021
Handsum64:

You’re mad !
Don’t you see how this country is collapsing, let us put aside the insecurity everywhere. Is Buhari government not inflicting anti-People policies on Nigerians ?

Na poor and average Nigerians like me I Dey cry for
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by efighter: 7:21am On Nov 30, 2021
Even a foetus knows
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by efighter: 7:26am On Nov 30, 2021
Handsum64:

Prove him wrong by listing all the good things Buhari has done e.g.

1. Running the Economy into permanent recession.

2. Looking sleepily while his appointees loot the treasury heartlessly.

3. Shutting Southern borders while leaving open Northern borders for careless smuggling in order to impoverish the South.

4. Arming his Fulani herdsmen brothers to overrun the South.

5. Arming his Fulani brothers to come over the South in order to kill, to steal, to destroy, to rape and maim.

6. Giving dollars to his illiterate Hausa/Fulani in the disguise form of BDC so that the continue to trade illegally and eventually ran the Naira down to 550 Nair's per dollar

These few points are just to remind you of the many good things your Buhari the unfortunate cursed one has done for the country.
Re: World Bank: Nigeria’s Fiscal Position Is Vulnerable To Global Headwinds by Mide1data: 7:43am On Nov 30, 2021
HOLY SHIT

SOUTHERNERS, wake up. Biafra nation? Ijaw republic? Oduduwa nation? These are not achievable.

Better come together and start protesting South 9ja.

WHAT DA BLEEP IS HAPPENING

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

INEC Has No Plans To Postpone the 2023 General Election / Throwback Photo Of Inec-chairman-mahmood-yakubu-wearing Apc Cap / Breaking News: Happening Now In South East As Igbos Resists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.