Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. (2169 Views)

The Yam Porridge I Made With Just 2400. Very Delicious. Photos / See How I Made This Very Delicious Goat Meat Pepper Soup Recipe (Photos, Video) / How I Prepared A Very Delicious Ogbono Soup On A Budget with 1k. PICS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2021
I love cooking and I’m a good cook as well. Egusi Soup being one of my favorite is my current challenge and this only became a challenge after I ate the one cooked at a close by restaurant! Oh my!!!! It was the most delicious Egusi soup I have ever tasted. I was tempted to ask the owner how he cooked the Egusi but I thought that’d be disrespectful.

Please what is that special ingredient that makes the home cooked different from what I ate outside ? Trust me I think I cook it same way but I feel I’m missing something. Maybe the Egusi I buy or something...please help me out!

I currently have Egusi soup in my kitchen but I’m craving for the one in the restaurant close to me.

Below is the picture of what the restaurant Egusi looked like ;

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 5:56pm On Dec 03, 2021
My Igbo brothers and sisters, biko help me out ooo!!!
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by AlhajiNatty(m): 6:12pm On Dec 03, 2021
Nwanyiocha, come and camp in my room for One whole week. I assure you that at the end of the week, you will create another thread in celebration of having found the secret behind your quest.
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Freestainworld(m): 6:17pm On Dec 03, 2021
Don't worry, we will teach you in our biafra republic grin
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Mariangeles(f): 10:43am On Dec 04, 2021
Go to those Igbo women that sell soup ingredients, tell them to grind your egusi with uziza seeds and Cameroon pepper, including crayfish.
The uziza seeds combined with the Cameroon pepper give the soup a spicy taste with a very pleasant aroma.

3 Likes

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 2:32pm On Dec 04, 2021
Mariangeles:
Go to those Igbo women that sell soup ingredients, tell them to grind your egusi with uziza seeds and Cameroon pepper, including crayfish.
The uziza seeds combined with the Cameroon pepper give the soup a spicy taste with a very pleasant aroma.

Oh wow! Thank you soooo muchhhh!!! God bless you.

Secondly, I thought grinding the Egusi with Crayfish would make it smooth and not form balls, it’s this true ?

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Mariangeles(f): 4:11pm On Dec 04, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

You're welcome. Amen.

Secondly, I thought grinding the Egusi with Crayfish would make it smooth and not form balls, it’s this true ?

Egusi being smooth or lumpy has nothing to do with crayfish. That depends on how you cook it.

The purpose of crayfish in grinding with egusi is that it helps get it all out of that manual grinder. (Egusi tend to get stuck in that manual grinder because of its oil)
Also, try not to add too much crayfish so that it doesn't overpower other flavours in the soup.

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 5:14pm On Dec 04, 2021
Mariangeles:

You're welcome. Amen.

Egusi being smooth or lumpy has nothing to do with crayfish. That depends on how you cook it.

The purpose of crayfish in grinding with egusi is that it helps get it all out of that manual grinder. (Egusi tend to get stuck in that manual grinder because of its oil)
Also, try not to add too much crayfish so that it doesn't overpower other flavours in the soup.
Wow! Thank you so much for this, would definitely try out this method. Thanks and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Mariangeles(f): 6:35pm On Dec 04, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

Wow! Thank you so much for this, would definitely try out this method. Thanks and God bless.

Lest I forget, when it comes to uziza seeds, less is more. So, try not to use too much of it. You will still smell and taste it in your soup.

When it comes to spices you haven’t tried out before in your cooking, it is safer to start off with hints of it, then you progress from there, than adding too much from the start, which might ruin your cooking and make you give up using it further.

You’re welcome. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 6:41pm On Dec 04, 2021
Mariangeles:

Lest I forget, when it comes to uziza seeds, less is more. So, try not to use too much of it. You will still smell and taste it in your soup.

When it comes to spices you haven’t tried out before in your cooking, it is safer to start off with hints of it, then you progress from there, than adding too much from the start, which might ruin your cooking and make you give up using it further.

You’re welcome. Amen.
Thanks for coming to my rescue lol I’d follow your advice and hopefully I can come back here with positive feedbacks cheesy

By the way, I returned to the same restaurant today and guess what? The Egusi had a bizarre sour taste chai! I had to throw it out.

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Mariangeles(f): 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

Thanks for coming to my rescue lol I’d follow your advice and hopefully I can come back here with positive feedbacks cheesy

Hopefully, it comes out well and you like it. cheesy

By the way, I returned to the same restaurant today and guess what? The Egusi had a bizarre sour taste chai! I had to throw it out.

Either a different cook made it this time or they're not consistent with their recipe.
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 7:16pm On Dec 04, 2021
Mariangeles:

Hopefully, it comes out well and you like it. cheesy

Either a different cook made it this time or they're not consistent with their recipe.
I guess the latter lol my hubby actually warned me about this so I sort of expected it lol

Thanks a whole lot.

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Nkemella: 9:11pm On Dec 04, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:
My Igbo brothers and sisters, biko help me out ooo!!!
A little uzuza seed, fresh yellow pepper, it adds a good aroma and taste to the egusi soup. Then if u are using ugu for the vegetable, try and add a little uzuza leaf to it. The taste is heavenly. But if u are using bitterleaf no need for the uzuza leaf only the seed is okay.
Then another thing is okpei , it also add to the taste and aroma.
Grind the egusi,uzuza seed ,okpei,pepper and crayfish together.
But I prefer grindingy egusi separate then the uzuza seed, okpei,pepper and crayfish together.

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Stephenmoka4(m): 9:28pm On Dec 04, 2021
To me oo...

I steam meat with onion, salt, maggi, curry and thyme. (You may use goat meat). Keep chopped pomo aside...

I heat palm oil in a pot and fry the egusi. When it's slightly sticky (2 minutes later, depending on the heat)
I add the meat stock, stir and add little water if the meat stock isn't enough.

Boil for 10 - 15 minutes, checking and stirring to avoid burning. Add the meat + chopped pomo + pepper (red) + pepper (black/cameroon) + Maggi + salt

Boil for 5 - 10 minutes, add ground crayfish + vegetables (Ugu)

I don't like fish in egusi soup, preferred separately. Some people add periwinkles, stock fish and if possible shark. Anything seafood (except crayfish/prawns) I don't like it in my egusi ( prepared separately)
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 10:27am On Dec 06, 2021
Nkemella:

A little uzuza seed, fresh yellow pepper, it adds a good aroma and taste to the egusi soup. Then if u are using ugu for the vegetable, try and add a little uzuza leaf to it. The taste is heavenly. But if u are using bitterleaf no need for the uzuza leaf only the seed is okay.
Then another thing is okpei , it also add to the taste and aroma.
Grind the egusi,uzuza seed ,okpei,pepper and crayfish together.
But I prefer grindingy egusi separate then the uzuza seed, okpei,pepper and crayfish together.

Wooow!!! Thank you so much for your contribution and help! I’m definitely cooking it tomorrow by God’s Grace cheesy I cant wait already grin
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 1:17pm On Dec 06, 2021
Stephenmoka4:
To me oo...

I steam meat with onion, salt, maggi, curry and thyme. (You may use goat meat). Keep chopped pomo aside...

I heat palm oil in a pot and fry the egusi. When it's slightly sticky (2 minutes later, depending on the heat)
I add the meat stock, stir and add little water if the meat stock isn't enough.

Boil for 10 - 15 minutes, checking and stirring to avoid burning. Add the meat + chopped pomo + pepper (red) + pepper (black/cameroon) + Maggi + salt

Boil for 5 - 10 minutes, add ground crayfish + vegetables (Ugu)

I don't like fish in egusi soup, preferred separately. Some people add periwinkles, stock fish and if possible shark. Anything seafood (except crayfish/prawns) I don't like it in my egusi ( prepared separately)
The frying method...that was my mum’s method back then and the aroma from this method usually cause commotions back then with my neighbors lol I learnt it and afterwards it cleared off my brain. I’ll try it again . Thank you so much.
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by frozen70(f): 12:35am On Dec 12, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

If you want those balls, roll it into lumps into the soup or fry the egusi with little meat stock mixture
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 3:25pm On Dec 14, 2021
frozen70:

If you want those balls, roll it into lumps into the soup or fry the egusi with little meat stock mixture
Thank you so much !!!
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Cedarlivia(f): 1:36pm On Dec 15, 2021
Are you preggers? If yes, my dear your taste buds may just be playing pranks on you grin. That said, try using Mariangeles suggestions. Easy on the uziza seeds. The pungent aroma could be overpowering o
Xilsbridalhouse:

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 2:44pm On Dec 15, 2021
Cedarlivia:
Are you preggers? If yes, my dear your taste buds may just be playing pranks on you grin. That said, try using Mariangeles suggestions. Easy on the uziza seeds. The pungent aroma could be overpowering o
Hehehe Thank you so much, I tried adding the Uziza seeds as suggested and it was really delicious cheesy The advice here really helped a lot! Now I’m back to eating my homemade Egusi soup cheesy

Thanks and God bless you all.

2 Likes

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Cedarlivia(f): 2:55pm On Dec 15, 2021
cheesy Enjoy my dear
Xilsbridalhouse:

Hehehe Thank you so much, I tried adding the Uziza seeds as suggested and it was really delicious cheesy The advice here really helped a lot! Now I’m back to eating my homemade Egusi soup cheesy

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Mariangeles(f): 4:43pm On Dec 15, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

I'm glad the suggestions were helpful. smiley
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 7:42pm On Dec 15, 2021
Mariangeles:

I'm glad the suggestions were helpful. smiley
Very very very helpful I must confess...God bless you hun. cheesy
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by aboyaji(m): 8:08pm On Dec 15, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

Post the pictures here
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 8:15pm On Dec 15, 2021
aboyaji:

Post the pictures here
Hahaha next time I’ll lol
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Mariangeles(f): 9:38pm On Dec 15, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

You too dear. smiley

1 Like

Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by Mariangeles(f): 9:39pm On Dec 15, 2021
aboyaji:

Post the pictures here

Onye nri. cheesy
Re: Please Kindly Teach Me How To Cook This Very Delicious Igbo Egusi Soup. by aboyaji(m): 11:05pm On Dec 15, 2021
Mariangeles:

Onye nri. cheesy

Ma o!

A saala m efere nu. Kedu ihe ozo foduru?

(1) (Reply)

1 Liter Of Old Coca Cola Bottle Found On A Farmland / Name And Describe How To Prepare Various Deltan Food You Know. / Garden Egg Sauce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.