Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,145 members, 7,829,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death (29396 Views)

Police Arrest 3 Dowen School Students Over Sylvester Oromoni’s Death / Dowen College Mourns Late Sylvester Oromoni's Death (Read Full Statement) / Sylvester Oromoni: Video Of Dowen College Student In Pains Before He Died (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by fashrola(m): 9:43am On Dec 07, 2021
sammirano:
People are really dumb in this country. Is it the school that killed the boy. If anyone should be held responsible, its the boys that killed him. Which kind of upside down country is this one sef.

I think you are the dumb entity here.... The school is responsible for the safety and well-being of their students, if at any point anything happens and the school does not give a clear and concise information then they are gonna go in for it....

Don't be stupid on a public forum

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Sholaco: 10:04am On Dec 07, 2021
tutudesz:
Femi Falana is the best human right lawyer in Nigeria presently and I believe the family will get justice.
what about igboho? Him pass falana o.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by tutudesz: 10:09am On Dec 07, 2021
Sholaco:
what about igboho? Him pass falana o.
Igboho na lawyer
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by ezixt: 10:09am On Dec 07, 2021
ezixt:

I'm sorry to say, but your comment gives me a lot of concern. I wanted to ignore, but I couldn't get myself to do it.

First off, you said, "Naso God say he go end him life."

Wrong thinking!

The tragedy has nothing to do with God. And before another religious ignoramus throws in the devil into the equation, let me also quickly say that the devil was in Afghanistan when all of these was happening in Nigeria.

The boys parents failed him. And the school failed him too. Simple and short.

It was the parents' and the school's negligence that shortened the boy's life, not God.

Stop accusing God wrongly.

Well, I don't know about your God, so I can't speak for him.

But the God that I know is not a wicked, heartless, sadistic God, that will decide that an eleven-year innocent boy, will die in such a horrifying way.

If that's how your God is,I mean you said about him-

"Naso God say he go end him life", then maybe it's time to change your God for someone who is more loving, caring, and not heartless.

Secondly, you asked-

"how many time your parents follow you go school despite the fact you tell them what you don't like about the school.(sic)"

Just because your parents didn't do same for you, like you pointed in your comment above, doesn't mean other parents didn't do and still don't do same for their own children.

I know parents who just for a complain of a finger on their children, took war to their children's school.

No time for nonsense.

So while there are bad and negligent parents, there are still good ones.

And these good ones should be the standard to be emulated, not the former, even if they are our parents.

And parents who are too busy with whatever it is they are doing to properly take care and protect their children, have no business being parents.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

They are the type that will wait for their child to die before rising up to their responsibilities as parents.

They are busy trying to pay the bills, right?

So after the bills, then what? A corpse?

And just because you were lucky to have survived such parental negligence, doesn't mean everyone was, or will be.

So please, don't use the standard that was used on you on your children, because they may not be as lucky as you were.

Let's not keep perpetuating cycles that needs to be broken.

And lastly, you said-

"boss make God dey protect our kids that's the final truth"

Well, here is what I believe to be the final truth-

God has given us the primary responsibility of protecting these children on his behalf, let's not fail him with our carelessness, negligence, and foolishness, and then turn around to put the blame on him.

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Speeedy(m): 10:16am On Dec 07, 2021
Same happened to me years back then I will be sad and moody as resumption date draws near. The bullying was so bad that I will cry all the way from Bauchi where we live then to Barkin-Ladi LGA a journey of about 2hrs. I don't know if I would have survived it because my parents ignored my complaints. To them the school is a mission school with christian/morally sound staff and dad's alma mater .It was one boy that left as a result of similar circumstances that begged the mother to please tell my parents to take me away because the bullying is much. And truly the woman travelled to Bauchi from Jos to meet my parents. Long story short, I left the school after mid-term break.
dasparrow:
Very good. Although I am still of the opinion that Sylvester's parents failed him and so did his school. His parents knew Sylvester was being bullied yet sent him back to school. Most Nigerians lack parenting skills.

1 Like

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Brushstrokes20: 10:25am On Dec 07, 2021
Awesome!..
Those satanic, bloodthirsty, baaaastarrrds and the demonic school management must be brought to justice undecided
# justice for sylvester!
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Orente21(f): 11:14am On Dec 07, 2021
supereagle:
*The piece below was written by a school owner. Forwarded as received.*

As someone who runs a school, I am also learning alot from this saga. I need to sit up too before my name will trend for the wrong reasons. God forbid.

I have sent a mail to the staff that we are holding an emergency meeting come Monday. Also, from next term, I am employing more counsellors. Each class must have a counsellor. See, one counsellor is not enough for a big school. It is not! I have discussed with my Boss oh cos ehn these angels kept in our care should be properly taken care of.

In my school, we have a very high anti bullying policy but I, Chinenye, I am a disciplinarian. You can sometimes smell it from my post. I do not take nonsense oh. Expulsion and suspension no dey hard me. When I started initially we were losing children and the owner was worried but I didn't care. I told her that this society needs morals and trust me parents that value discipline will patronise us.

Well, look at us now busy expanding cos of population. In my schools, I refund school fees when your child insults my staff. I have painstakingly taken my time to employ professionals and I can't allow you a bad parent to breed a nuisance in my school. Those who need counselling and therapy, we handle them well and today they're improving.

The major problem after parents are SCHOOL OWNERS. I will explain.

1. In my school I do not allow unnecessary double promotion. Never! Now when I refuse, these parents go to another school and guess what? They'll admit them. How can a woman come to tell me to allow her child write common entrance examination from Year 4? How? Some of them are even 8yrs or 9yrs and you want me to jump classes? If all schools refuse such, trust me these parents will behave.

2. When a child misbehaves or insults a teacher, instead of talking to the parents, they command the teacher to apologise. Hello?! Why? For what? When did that one start? Just because of money? Because you want rich parents? Then you condone indiscipline?

3. A child gets expelled or suspended and these schools will admit them without asking questions. They don't ask for reports from previous school. You just admit potential hired killers and say you're running a school.

4. Very soon there will be no SS3 anymore cos 80% now write WAEC from SS2. You will still see parents come here and say; what are they teaching in SS3.

So many schools encourage the ev1l we see today.

So many people also open school as a business. They have no certification. No training. No passion. Nothing! Some also open school out of envy and competition.

If all schools should sit up, trust me many of these irresponsible parents will be forced to do their homework.

This is the same thing that made me ask my Boss to shut down the Nursery boarding. How can parents register their babies in nursery boarding. Why did you get pregnant if you know you can't raise your children? Who sent you? And yes, incase you do not know, we have nursery boarding school where nannies nurse your child cos you're a busy working class entity �.

You people keep raising dark children. Children without empathy or emotions. This is why I say marry right! Marry your best friend. Let your children watch mummy and daddy play love. Let them watch you two care for each other.

Children raised in love are always different. Always! We see it.

I know parents can do their best and kids will turn out the way they want to turn out but when you try your best and give your kids the best upbringing, trust me they do not turn out extremely bad. Stop watching Africa magic. Before they turn out to be what they are, it is in their adult age not at SS1 or SS2.

Finally, study the school well before registering your child. Be sure that the school takes healthy discipline serious.
Kudos. Nice talk.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:44pm On Dec 07, 2021
dettolgel:

I doubt if the family's opinion on the cause of the blisters holds any water. A good lawyer will rely on expert opinion during cross examination as to the true cause of the blister.

And you believe the family would assume that the blisters were reactions to a medication?

My brother, a doctor must have told them that.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:46pm On Dec 07, 2021
tutudesz:

Have you ever seen Falana boys handling high profile cases before What if I told you Falana will be meeting with the family today or tomorrow What if they met yesterday
Actually two lawyers were recommended to the family, Mike Ozekhome and Falana

There is nothing really high profile about this case.

Except it is involving Ezekwesili, and some other top guns, you would never find Falana personally providing counsel.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by dettolgel: 2:35pm On Dec 07, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

And you believe the family would assume that the blisters were reactions to a medication?

My brother, a doctor must have told them that.

I think they will take evidence from the doctor that treated him on that rather than what the parents said if that will help their case.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Alaganature09(m): 2:48pm On Dec 07, 2021
ezixt:

I'm sorry to say, but your comment gives me a lot of concern. I wanted to ignore, but I just can't get myself to do it.

First off, you said, "Naso God say he go end him life."

Wrong thinking! This tragedy has nothing to do with God, and before another religious fanatic throws in the devil into the equation, let me quickly say too that the devil was in Afghanistan when all of these was happening in Nigeria.

The boys parents failed him. And the school failed him too. Simple and short.

It was the parents' and the school's negligence that shortened the boy's life, not God.

Stop accusing God wrongly.

Well, I don't know about your own God, so I can't speak for him.

But the God that I know is not a wicked, heartless, sadistic God, that will decide that an eleven-year innocent boy, will die in such a horrifying way.

If that's how your God is,I mean you said about him-

"Naso God say he go end him life", then maybe it's time to change your God for someone who is more loving, caring, and not heartless.

Secondly, you asked-

"how many time your parents follow you go school despite the fact you tell them what you don't like about the school.(sic)"

Just because your parents didn't do same for you, like you pointed in your comment above, doesn't mean other parents didn't do and still don't do same for their own children.

I know parents who just for a complain of a finger on their children, took war to their children's school. No time for nonsense.

So while there are bad and negligent parents, there are still good ones. And these good ones should be the standard we should be emulating, and not the former, even if they are our parents.

And parents who are too busy with whatever it is they are doing to properly take care and protect their children, have no business being parents.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

They are the type that will wait for their child to die before rising up to their responsibility.

They are busy trying to pay the bills, right? Then after the bills, then what? A corpse?

And just because you were lucky to survive such parental negligence, doesn't mean everyone was, or will be.

So please, don't use the standard that was used on you on your children, because they may not be as lucky as you were.

Let's not keep perpetuating cycles that needs to be broken.

And lastly, you said-

"boss make God dey protect our kids that's the final truth"

Well, here is what I believe to be the final truth-

God has given us the primary responsibility of protecting these children on his behalf, let's not fail him with our carelessness, negligence, and foolishness, and then turn around to put the blame on him.

So all this write up nah for me? Oga you try...if you fit write like this give buhari am sure he will resign from his presidencial seat
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Blackdisciple(m): 3:04pm On Dec 07, 2021
Mehnnnn that's a serious one oo because this man will not keep mute ooo
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by BluntTheApostle(m): 3:28pm On Dec 07, 2021
dettolgel:

I think they will take evidence from the doctor that treated him on that rather than what the parents said if that will help their case.

Whatever.

But that is a blunder.

The blunder makes this statement:

Sylvester was fine, but for the limping, for which he received medication outside the school premises. This alone breaks whatever link between the bullying he received (if a case can be made for that), and his death.

The bone of contention is whether Sylvester's death came from the physical assault purportedly meted to him by the bullying senior students.

But the family's blunder states that Sylvester died from reactions to a medication.

The only fact to rectify this blunder is if the black substance is identified, and date of ingestion known.

I pity the doctor, though. Because he is now a part of the case.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by bigeagleeye(m): 3:37pm On Dec 07, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
Continue deceiving yourself femi that will ignore poor man case...If you don't have enough money. or your case not get public attention just dont bother go his chamber.

Have you reasoned the number of "poor man case" that may likely be on that man's table daily? Last time I checked he's still human and not a robot! We most times get carried away with our problems that we think others don't have theirs.

Well, I should say that your pain and unjust assessment is not universal, Falana Chamber helped my friend to secure judgment in a monumental case of custody. My friend didn't have enough money, the case is not in the media, yet Falana did it.

A good lawyer is also a human being like you & I, they work with just 24hrs a day, with his family and life to care for. Don't vilify the people trying to save others from problems caused by others. Get a wig & join him so that you both can save the world. �

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by bigeagleeye(m): 3:52pm On Dec 07, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

There is nothing really high profile about this case.

Except it is involving Ezekwesili, and some other top guns, you would never find Falana personally providing counsel.

Pls what is your point actually?

Falana Chamber's Lagos office alone has more 20 Lawyers and about the same number doing apprenticeship & attachment. You insinuate they're all dull minds, right? Or they don't deserve exposure?

So you want him to carry every case file to court personally, when he can always provide guidance to the younger lawyers even in those cases that you call high profile?
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by BluntTheApostle(m): 3:58pm On Dec 07, 2021
bigeagleeye:

Pls what is your point actually?

Falana Chamber's Lagos office alone has more 20 Lawyers and about the same number doing apprenticeship & attachment. You insinuate they're all dull minds, right? Or they don't deserve exposure?

So you want him to carry every case file to court personally, when he can always provide guidance to the younger lawyers even in those cases that you call high profile?

My point is that the topic is misleading.

During the Otobo vs Suleiman, Otobo hired the services of Festus Keyamo's firm. Ignorant people began to say Keyamo was handling her case. I remembered having this same argument that Festus Keyamo and Festus Keyamo's firm are two different entities under the law.

In the end, Keyamo himself came out to say that he was not the one handling the case, that one of his boys was. That he did not even have the details of the case.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by bigeagleeye(m): 4:07pm On Dec 07, 2021
CSTRR:
No wonder, young lawyers are now doing ashawo work.

The old ones no gree leave the scene.
Falana never reach to retire?

How will the young gain experience if he keeps handling all the big cases?

When you think you have seen all the dumbness in the world, then one of the last breeds of the dumbest shows up from the blues. Chai, Nairaland with so many opinionated ignoramuses.

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by dettolgel: 5:03pm On Dec 07, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Whatever.

But that is a blunder.

The blunder makes this statement:

Sylvester was fine, but for the limping, for which he received medication outside the school premises. This alone breaks whatever link between the bullying he received (if a case can be made for that), and his death.

The bone of contention is whether Sylvester's death came from the physical assault purportedly meted to him by the bullying senior students.

But the family's blunder states that Sylvester died from reactions to a medication.

The only fact to rectify this blunder is if the black substance is identified, and date of ingestion known.

I pity the doctor, though. Because he is now a part of the case.

That is why well informed family will not react until they receive legal counsel. Moreover I think this case will depend heavily on the coroner's report.

My only concern is does the family has enough resources to fight this? The suspects family could chose to pull fund together and make it a lengthy case or may each come with their legal representative which doesn't look good either.

What I don't know is if the state is also involved and how much help will then render to the victim family or if there are the one prosecuting the case since it is a murder case.

I am not a legal person and I have no idea how this works but would assume that the state should at least be involved.

I wish some with a legal background can explain this whole process better to me.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by shigishege: 7:13pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skyview01:

You took this literally out of my mouth. I wanted to type about this being the caliber of lawyer Namdi Kanu should have hired. When your life hangs on the balance, you hire the best.
you see they have been mentioning me, calling me several names but we know that's thier way of life. They will always attack the truth. That's why they continue to suffer.
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 07, 2021
shigishege:
you see they have been mentioning me, calling me several names but we know that's thier way of life. They will always attack the truth. That's why they continue to suffer.

Thats quite sad that people allow emotions to becloud their senses of judgment.
If i am accused of a felony, i would be looking at the best representation money can buy not the rooky clown presently pretending to represent him.

1 Like

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by shigishege: 9:27pm On Dec 07, 2021
Skyview01:

Thats quite sad that people allow emotions to becloud their senses of judgment.
If i am accused of a felony, i would be looking at the best representation money can buy not the rooky clown presently pretending to represent him.
you know the way you will reason, you can't compare it to the way those rookies ( I borrowed your English,) will reason
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by BluntTheApostle(m): 11:39pm On Dec 07, 2021
dettolgel:

That is why well informed family will not react until they receive legal counsel. Moreover I think this case will depend heavily on the coroner's report.

My only concern is does the family has enough resources to fight this? The suspects family could chose to pull fund together and make it a lengthy case or may each come with their legal representative which doesn't look good either.

What I don't know is if the state is also involved and how much help will then render to the victim family or if there are the one prosecuting the case since it is a murder case.

I am not a legal person and I have no idea how this works but would assume that the state should at least be involved.

I wish some with a legal background can explain this whole process better to me.

This has always been my position.

And I agree totally with you that the coroner's report will set the rhythm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by apatheticme(f): 12:59pm On Dec 08, 2021
OLDESTWARRIBOY:

It seems the school owners and the alleged suspects are well connected so this is what will happen:

Sanwo Olu go order panel...dem release Pink, white and blue paper say nothing happen say true true naa football cause the poor boy death. Him go order peace catwalk for the dowen college. No be Lagos again?? When money exchange hands

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Which one be pink paper again?

Una too funny for this forum aswear!!
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Sleekfingers: 2:28pm On Dec 08, 2021
CSTRR:
No wonder, young lawyers are now doing ashawo work.

The old ones no gree leave the scene.
Falana never reach to retire?

How will the young gain experience if he keeps handling all the big cases?

Na so lawyers dey leave it scene?
The young lawyers should also work hard. Falana work his way up....did falana say he is tired?
Re: Dowen College: Family Hires Femi Falana Over Sylvester Oromoni's Death by Laideabdulahi: 6:34pm On Dec 08, 2021
shigishege:
That mean they are all in trouble. This is the man I feel namidi should have employed instead but due to tribal bigotry in my blood I rather continue to suffer than hire another tribe's man to deliver them.

Are you speaking for all?
When you dont know what made them to pick their choice.
Are u sure you are not a bigot as well for using the word "their". In their blood.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

May/june 2007/2008 Waec Result Out / How Intelligent Are U? Show Us Here. / Which Course Can One Study With A Waec Result Like This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.