Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Oracle DBA Corner - Computers (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Oracle DBA Corner (52522 Views)

Newbies Corner / Windows 8 Is Around The Corner / The Best Laptop Engineers Around The Corner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oracle DBA Corner by ChapelleS: 4:49pm On Jan 05, 2010
I want do Oracle OCA exam. I did the course in 2007 and since then I have lost touch. Anyone with useful information on latest dump,good prometric center and all the necessary info I should need should plz contact me with this email frankgod02@gmail.com. You can flash me on +233543939506,I will call you back.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 7:36pm On Jan 06, 2010
jimblaze:

No problem, drop your email and with trigger creation, wat are u trying to do?

As for triggers its basically Before Insert and Before Update triggers or System triggers i.e either for a Schema or the entire Database
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 12:14pm On Jan 07, 2010
check your mail, just sent u the materials
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 1:14pm On Jan 07, 2010
Lemme check it! Thanks bruv
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by instinctg(m): 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2010
which's better in pl/sql or java in Oracle? want to know d next move after my OCP cos procedural languages give more control over d database
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jan 07, 2010
Staying within the confines of Oracle, I think what u need is PL/SQL
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by instinctg(m): 7:01pm On Jan 07, 2010
@JABBOK tanks. seems d thread is kick starting again.are u working as a dba/ developer with experience? cos one should av d hands-on xperience with Oracle b/4 giving certain advices.
appreciate
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 11:50pm On Jan 07, 2010
PL/SQL really is the only language you need when it comes to Oracle to be honest at least with the little knowledge i have i know that PL/SQL is a very powerful language and except you are working outside the database there really isn't any need for Java
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Nobody: 8:55am On Jan 08, 2010
@ instinctg.

u dont need a hands-on-experience to that PL/SQL is oracle's procedural language and the 1st in the company. If u knw more, be so kind to share with ur people
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by instinctg(m): 8:47pm On Jan 08, 2010
@jabbok
hope i didnt make it seem 2underate ur understanding?sometimes, one needs 2find things out from dose dat av 1st hand xperience, not only 4m d books we read.tanks.

In general, wat ar d chances of getting a DBA job in dis country? hardly get vacancies relating 2it, though i believe with faith, chances ll get beta.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Nobody: 12:17am On Jan 09, 2010
@insinctg,
u r right. The sad reality is that Nigeria does not take statistics,record keeping n databases in general seriously. This is why there is dearth of DBA jobs in this country. But do not be discouraged because things r changing
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 3:02am On Jan 09, 2010
Its the sad truth we are not record keepers by nature and neither do we value archives and its one of the numerous reasons we are where we are as a nation today. For peeps like me if not for the love and interest i have for Oracle databases and anything related to it i would have given up on it long ago cos in Naija people are more inclined to Networking and Web Development cos these are jobs that give instant remuneration to an extent
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Ejaik2010: 2:38am On Feb 16, 2010
please who can tell me how to log in as a dba on the Oracle 10g SQL login prompt.

i only know how to log in as HR and my user. but i cant log in as a dba. pls send replies to askmewai@gmail.com. thx guys
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by Oracle9i: 2:26am On Feb 17, 2010
Ejaik2010

Well am new to NairaLand and just got your Q.

how far have u gone on oracle.

anyway I will help you. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

from your command prompt CMD

sqlplus/nolog

when the sql environment is started then u type

connect sys as sysdba;

any more questions, let me know.

I taught Oracle for more than 2 years but will
not mention the IT firm yet.

so holla

I will try to be online and and assist, anybody
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by raldsfield(m): 5:30pm On Feb 18, 2010
Hi Oracle 9i

Giving your experience in teaching was thinking you will be of help, am planning of trainning for a Oracle certification OCP11g is what I have in mind.
I have to chose between school Niit, Aptech these are the ones I know, can you email me your recommendation and why you think they are a better option I will be training in Lagos my email is raldsfield@yahoo.com thanks.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 3:15am On Feb 19, 2010
@Ejaik2010
I want to assume you are talking about the SQL plus enviromment here's what you do

Leave the password & host string fields blank and simply type in the user field:
sys/password as sysdba

@Raldsfield
If not for the fact that you would need to do hands on training for your OCP at an Oracle certified place i woulda advised u saved your guap and self study but since thats not the case i would strongly advise you avoid Aptech & NIIT especially NIIT! Firstlogic and Nu Horizons are better options
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by jimblaze(m): 5:21pm On Feb 19, 2010
wow! its good to see this thread kicking again grin
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by shadowmay(m): 9:45pm On Feb 19, 2010
pls i need the materials to mayowa.anibaba@gmail.com wink
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by exempt09(m): 11:03am On Mar 13, 2010
Please house i wanna start OCA trainin, can any1 plz email me any material to use
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by exempt09(m): 11:18am On Mar 13, 2010
my email is phemmie2@2die4.com
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 1:33am On Mar 18, 2010
Whats good people where una dey now? Who has any experience with RAC's or is currently working on that environment right now? I need a few tips on how the Clusterware thing works and possibly get the software
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by chqakinns(m): 4:49pm On Mar 21, 2010
@all.Pls can any1 assist me in getin more knowledge abt Oracle.I had my OCA certificate in 2008 bt my work is nt related to kip of data bt av lost touch wit Oracle.I want to more abt it cos i stil wnt to go 4 OCP.So wu knw aw i can get d real depth of d oracle?@all
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by azum: 6:42am On Mar 23, 2010
A-40:

Whats good people where una dey now? Who has any experience with RAC's or is currently working on that environment right now? I need a few tips on how the Clusterware thing works and possibly get the software

Let me start by using a layman's language for some definition: When two or more physical machines of similar attributes are joined together to to form a single configuration you get what is called a CLUSTER. Each of those physical machines in this configuration is thus called a NODE. Thus the overlaying software that manages this sort of configuration is what is known as the CLUSTERWARE. The Clusterware basically manages the heartbeat of this configuration. What i mean is that it determines which node is down, which one is up? how the load on each node is balanced? how the nodes in this type of configuration communicates with each other and so on. This is bascially what a clusterware does. Do note that clusterwares are not limited to Oracle alone. In any cluster, be it Oracle (RAC) or Operating System such as Sun Solaris cluster, AIX(HACMP) etc a clusterware software exists. With regards to Oracle clusterware, this was introduced if i remember correctly in Oracle 10g. Until then Oracle uses 3rd party clustering solutions to achive RAC and Oracle parallel server configuration. But from Oracle 10g, Oracle introduced the Oracle Clusterware  thus giving its customers the option of either using this or a 3rd solution to achieve clustering. Thus if you're implementing RAC, you have the option of either using the Oracle clusterware or a 3rd party clustering solution. Oracle supports this. But going forward i see this changing. to download simply go to the download tab on www.otn.oracle.com and download. Hope this answers your questions.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 12:04pm On Mar 23, 2010
@Azum
Thanks for the tip na laziness been dey worry me. Actually i have searched and gotten materials on the entire RAC thing and i must confess its really vast and closely entwined with ASM. The thing is i kinda got a few contract job openings but they needed someone with experience in that area (RAC) which is why i needed info on how to run and manage the clusterware which is its primary component

By the way what kind of environment do you work on?
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by azum: 12:55pm On Mar 23, 2010
A-40:

@Azum
Thanks for the tip na laziness been dey worry me. Actually i have searched and gotten materials on the entire RAC thing and i must confess its really vast and closely entwined with ASM. The thing is i kinda got a few contract job openings but they needed someone with experience in that area (RAC) which is why i needed info on how to run and manage the clusterware which is its primary component

By the way what kind of environment do you work on?

@A-40:

a. On ASM: Yes and no, it is not particularly "entwined" with ASM. Before Oracle 10g when ASM was introduced, use is made of other volume managers to achieve RAC in Oracle 9i and even with parallel server in Oracle 8i and below. The fact is that RAC blossoms on shared storage which is better managed now with ASM. And that's why both seems to be siemese(sp) twins. But you can still have a RAC installation without ASM, though supported it is better without doubt using ASM>.

b. On Contract jobs: i guess with this scenerio you will be answering a lot of RAC questions during the interview. You really need to read wide. You definitely should expect questions on the following: interconnect, RAC services, CRS, voting disk, private ip, virtual ip and so on. RAC has so many components that you need to read about. search the internet for sample interview questions on RAC. A good place to start is this:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/demos/admin/demos.html

c. environments i work on: currently i support Oracle databases running the SAP ERP on solaris 10. I also support various other Oracle instances running on Windows server. But actually, thank God for His mercies, with all humility i can say i have been privileged to work with Oracle on all the platforms it runs on such as Unix(solaris, aix, open vms, hp, etc), Linux, Windows, Mac O/S and so on. Just name any O/S that Oracle runs i have been opportuned to work on it by the special grace of the Almighty.

Like i have always said on this thread many times in the past, there is far far more to being an Oracle DBA than knowing to write good SQL and PL/SQL. Trust me i have seen DBAs who can not debug a simple SQL or PLSQL program.

Anyway if you have any further questions or clarifications on RAC kindly shoot and i will try my best to answer time permitting. And hey, good luck.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by chqakinns(m): 8:05pm On Mar 23, 2010
@oracle9i and A-40.Can u pls answer my questn above.Tax in advance.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by azum: 8:41pm On Mar 23, 2010
@A-40:

a. On ASM: Yes and no, it is not particularly "entwined" with ASM. Before Oracle 10g when ASM was introduced, use is made of other volume managers to achieve RAC in Oracle 9i and even with parallel server in Oracle 8i and below. The fact is that RAC blossoms on shared storage which is better managed now with ASM. And that's why both seems to be siemese(sp) twins. But you can still have a RAC installation without ASM, though supported it is better without doubt using ASM>.

b. On Contract jobs: i guess with this scenerio you will be answering a lot of RAC questions during the interview. You really need to read wide. You definitely should expect questions on the following: interconnect, RAC services, CRS, voting disk, private ip, virtual ip and so on. RAC has so many components that you need to read about. search the internet for sample interview questions on RAC. A good place to start is this:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/demos/admin/demos.html

c. environments i work on: currently i support Oracle databases running the SAP ERP on solaris 10. I also support various other Oracle instances running on Windows server. But actually, thank God for His mercies, with all humility i can say i have been privileged to work with Oracle on all the platforms it runs on such as Unix(solaris, aix, open vms, hp, etc), Linux, Windows, Mac O/S and so on. Just name any O/S that Oracle runs i have been opportuned to work on it by the special grace of the Almighty.

Like i have always said on this thread many times in the past, there is far far more to being an Oracle DBA than knowing to write good SQL and PL/SQL. Trust me i have seen DBAs who can not debug a simple SQL or PLSQL program.

Anyway if you have any further questions or clarifications on RAC kindly shoot and i will try my best to answer time permitting. And hey, good luck.
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 11:48pm On Mar 23, 2010
@Azum
A)Maybe entwine was a stretch but they are used in tandem a lot and the manual kinda recommends the use of ASM Diskgroups. RAC is all about sharing resources and ASM supports that

B)Lol e be like say na you interview me. The whole thimg was like latin when they started talking about CRS, Oracle Cluster Registry. I have myself to blame cos i knew about RAC for a while now but didn't take it as serious as i should have and school wahala hardly helped. All i have ever done in work environments are Administer Users,Run Backups and Troubleshoot with the help of alert logs,trace files and ADDM

C)Are you for real? You work with SAP too (Do you just run the DB it runs on or know a thing or two about the app itself) Do you have any access to Business One Materials?
My biggest weakness has to be the lack of experience using Oracle on other OS. I'm too comfy with windows

Finally i agree being a DBA is more than writing SQL or PL/SQL but its an added advantage. You may find yourself in scenarios where skills like that would get you outta jail. It can only make you better (I suck at PL/SQL but my SQL isn't too shabby)
I'd get back to you if i get stuck with RAC but if you get any stuff on SAP i'd appreciate it
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by A40(m): 12:03am On Mar 24, 2010
@Chqakinns
Can you still remember what you did in your OCA? I'd advice you refresh yourself on that since you have not done anything Oracle based in a while or else OCP would be like abracadabra to you
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by savenaija: 1:39pm On Mar 24, 2010
please i have created an oracle application for a car rental as my project,but my problem now is how to copy in in a cd so that i can summit it,i tried burning it but when i played the cd on another computer it showed but not everything and perhaps some of the functions don't work,for instance i can not create a new customer but i can do that with the one i have on my system,please i need help,or should i install xeclient in the other system?but if that is the case it also means i am in trouble because they won't give me the privilege to install any thing on their system. in summary i just need to make a demo of my application.
i designed the application with oracle xe
Re: Oracle DBA Corner by savenaija: 1:43pm On Mar 24, 2010
desperately waiting for an answer,please dbas in the house help a brother.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply)

Stop Sharing USB Flash Drives - Right Now / 15 Keyboard Shortcuts Every Computer Geek Should Know / 11 Reasons You Should Quit Facebook In 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.