Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,152 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. (6514 Views)

Epie Atissa Young APC Visits Tinubu Coordinator South South Pastor Reuben Wilso / Nigeriadecide:voting Commences In Epie Ward 1 / FFK: "Nnamdi Kanu Kept On Naval Warship Off The Coast Of Bayelsa By Buhari" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 8:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
THE PEOPLE, ANCESTRY, ORGANIZATION AND CIVILIZATION

Epie-Atissa people are the original inhabitants of 30 communities in Yenagoa Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, Nigeria, with Yenebebeli Two as the newly recognised community.

The ancestral and migratory root of Epie-Atissa is traced to Akoko Edo Local Government Area in Edo State, from where groups moved to various places, untill Prince Zue, one of the sons of Oguan, the ancestor, founded Yenizue-Epie as the first place of settlement. A group of elites from Epie/Atissa, recently visited Akoko Edo and reaffirmed this claim.

Aside the Akoko Edo and Oguan origin, a few communities in Epie-Atissa, have their own migration narratives, few of which also finally tend to link the Edo origin, as first place of migration.

The language spoken by the people of Epie-Atissa ethnic nationality is known as Epie, under Delta-Edoid classification, and very similar to the language of Ukoroho group of people in Akoko Edo.

All of them are autonomous but contiguous communities, subject to the kingship of their Kingdoms. Thus, communities in Epie owe allegiance to the authority of the Obenibe of Epie Kingdom, while their brother communities in Atissa owe allegiance to the Ebenibe of Atissa Kingdom.

The people of Epie-Atissa, share common ancestral and migratory links with their brothers: Zarama in Yenagoa Local Government Area; Engenni and Degema of Rivers State, and by extension, Urhobo and Isoko, with similar origin, language and culture.

Subsistence farming, fishing, hunting, canoe carving, oil palm harvesting and processing of palm oil, inter-community and inter-ethnic trade in farm produce and food stuff and its other natural resources, served as means of livelihood.

They initially lived in bamboo-mud-thatch-roofed houses, changed to zinc-roofed-mud houses and later full-block-zinc-roofed houses before becoming Bayelsa State Capital. A business magnet, Late Chief Omeleh Tologere was the first to build block house, while Late Chief G. F. Omeleh, first owned a storey building.

Life was anchored on a communitarian philosophy of love and brotherhood, Ubuntu. Ancestral guiding spirits and ‘Inibru’ supplemented man-made laws, and slammed nemesis on offenders.

Writing Credit.
ETETE ENIDENEZE

9 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2021
COLONIZATION AND RESISTANCE

Due to warm embrace with the missionaries, Anglican, Catholic and Baptist churches and missionary primary schools were established in many communities, developments which led to decline in paganism and superstition. Bishop Dimeari Grammar School and St. Jude’s Girls Secondary School are part of the colonial legacies which brought formal education to the people.

Yet, the the early leaders resisted domination, for instance, the Odiarabara War against British imperialists at Yenaka, led by Chief Fefegha Kokime of Yenagoa in 1894, over seizure of his goods because of non-payment of tax.

Another example is the 1958 Epie women’s riot against introduction of school fees by the colonialists, a matter they won at the colonial court in Degema, with Barr Naboth Graham Douglas as their lawyer.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2021
PROFILES IN HISTORY

Some of the early and contemporary leaders of Epie-Atissa were Chief Korisei Torupina; Chief Alfred Cinime Akenge; Chief B. W. Mabinton; Chief Korisei Otobo; Chief Seikeme Otobo; Chief Ogio Ogon, a business tycoon; King Abiye Agama, one of the pioneer managers of the then Shell De Archy and Shell BP; King C. B. Agulata; Chief Micah Ogio, foremost police officer and staff of the then Agip; Elder C. T. Ogon Ogio, a foremost teacher, Chief C. M. Sorgwe; Chief Anthony Borisei; Engr. Obed Ben Walson and Chief Z. O. Ogon, an ace grassroots mobilizer, all of blessed memories.

Others are Chief Nelson Yakie; Chief Newton. I. Kenigbolo; Chief Francis Kokori; Chief G.M. Odumgba; Chief V. K. Lagumo; Chief Fatty Job; Chief V. B. Fabiri; Chief Ebiyefa Torukuru; Chief George Agudain; Barr Donald Isele Eseimo, foremost police officer and lawyer, as well as Chief Thomas Ogori, another foremost police officer, all of blessed memories.

One cannot leave out, Capt. Francis Kponu, the first Nigerian Ship Captain in the defunct Nigerian Shipping Company; Chief Cornelius Walson, an impartial traditional mediator; prolific Historian, Dr. Ibiba Sasime; foremost lawyer and Attorney General, Chief F. D. Lot; vibrant lawyer and then activist, King Malla Sasime; shrewd politician, Chief Okulovie Obhoo and others who are living heroes.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 8:31pm On Dec 07, 2021
THE BRUNT OF CAPITALHOOD AND DEVELOPMENT CHALLENGES

Blessings of Hosting the State as capital from 1996, are not without brunt of State Government’s land acquisitions; losing of Yelga Council’s property and many sources of revenues to the State; delay in implementation of master plan for physical development and non-demarcation of aboriginal settlement from Government Reserved Areas.

Influx of teeming visitors is threatening the language and culture of the aborigines tagged with a minority status, that has become the people’s albatross.

Sadly, their natural resources, especially, land and houses they depended on, to eek out a living, are even depleting.

These are not to say, it has never being good at all. Epie-Atissa got topnotch positions of pioneer Head of Service in the person of Deacon Bob Ozaka, and Prof. Steve Azaiki, as pioneer Agriculture Commissioner, and later pioneer Secretary to the State Government, under Late Chief D. S. P Alamieyeseigha. Andd later Chiefs Emmanuel Paulker; Diekivie Ikiogha; Mrs. Diezani Madueke; Dr. Josephine Igodo and others in top public offices.

Giiven its vantage position as Capital City, Epie-Atissa, would have experienced quicker transformation, but, it is not yet Uhuru for majority of the people.

Poor enterprenuership orientation among many Epie-Atissans who though had landed resources, yet could not diversify the incomes, could also be cited for the the economic downturn.

Besides that, docility of the elites; self-protectionism; disunity; fear of competition; greed; a disatified and unwilling followership, have been main obstacles at synergistic and strategic approach to the overall development of Epie-Atissa, by its own people, thus also affecting effective collaboration with the State Government to meet the yearnings of the people.

Traditional rulers; Oguan Congress, student and youth bodies, are equally yet to really coordinate the people for the realisation of the common good.

The Obunem-Epie and Adiafa-Atissa Festivals, though have preserved the Kingdoms’ cultural heritage, are like annual entertainent jamborees, at the expense of appraisal and solutions to the myriad challenges.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2021
YOUTHS TO THE RESCUE
One of the only attempts to press for a better deal from the State Government was in the Alamieyeseigha and Dr. Goodluck Jonathan eras in which Epie-Atissa youths made some demands. Consequently, Late Governor Alamieyeseigha cancelled the obnoxious land use policy of the Philip Ayeni administration. The arpatheid policy, limited the natives from using lands, 500meters after Mbiama/Yenagoa Road.

The Alamieyeseigha administration improved a bit on slots of political appointments, contracts and employments to the host of the Capital, in addition to a monthly N5Million grant to Yenagoa Local Government Council, to aid development. Former Governor Jonathan created Epie/Atissa Rural Development Authority, to compensate for non-creation of local government for the people, when Alamieyeseigha created 24 of them.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 8:33pm On Dec 07, 2021
LOOKING AHEAD

Given the challenges, one way forward, is for Bayelsa State Government to establish Yenagoa Capital City Host Communities Development Commission.

The other is formulation of a land swap policy in which the State Government, could acquire or purchase lands and reallocate to those whose lands have been totally taken over by Government, as done in Abuja, the FCT. Or, build houses and resettle indigenes swallowed up by government’s buildings, besides demarcating native and government’s areas.

From the entire narrative, a convoke of all classes of Epie-Atissans, to look inwards, tinker and proffer solutions to the Kingdoms’ development challenges, is another potent internal mechanism, that was long over due

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 8:37pm On Dec 07, 2021
GAINS OF RESTRUCTURING

The early contemporary leaders restructured Epie/Atissa into two clans, to get a colonial district for political and administative benefits, through a letter signed by Late Chief Korisei Torupina and other leaders in 1927.

Following the recognition as a district, a colonial customary court was set up at Onopa to stop the people from pulling canoes to litigate cases at Brass Island Province and Sagbagreai, where they lost cases because of wrong interpretation of Epie by Izons trained as interpreters.

A colonial sports council, was also set up in Yenagoa, the present location of the Samson Siasia Stadium.

Yenagoa turned into a Province Headquarters, hosted the Royal Niger Company, United African Company, and later Local Government headquarters.

Constituency and wards, were created, though still grossly inadequate, given population surge and under-representation in the legislatures of the three tiers of government.

Communities also provided their own ammenties, for example, earth roads, town halls, markets, schools and church buildings.

Notable among early government’s utilities are the old Oil Mill Road; the defunct Yenagoa Hospital, taken over by the FMC; Mbiama/Yenagoa Road, now Melford Okilo Road, facilitated by Late King E. P. Okoya of Bumoundi-Epetiama with Famgbe maternity, as then Secretary of Works (Minister) in the old Eastern Region; the defunct Oyoyo Market etcetera.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by BKayy: 8:40pm On Dec 07, 2021
Interesting
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 07, 2021
H
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by RobbStark(m): 8:58pm On Dec 07, 2021
Really??

So you guys have left Opobo n Bonny and now faced Epie people.
Una no dey tire

Know this and know peace, Epie people are Ijaws, no write up can change anything.

I told a friend of mine who happens to be Ibo about your rants here, he said I shud give you people 5days, you will forget about my Opobo n bonny.
That it didn't start today.

Well I know in two days time, this too shall pass away and the real winners wud still be on ground in those places.

I tot you wud have said Epie people are Ibos.
Yeye dey smell
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Igboid: 9:00pm On Dec 07, 2021
God bless Epie-Attisa people, God bless Oguan ethnic nationality, God bless Bayelsa, God bless NIGERIA.

12 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Dartilo(m): 9:05pm On Dec 07, 2021
So Yenagoa is not ijaw?

1 Like

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:07pm On Dec 07, 2021
Mr man both Epie and Atissa are under all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations without leaving even one behind, and that's because they are Ijaw.
All Ibo lies because Ijaw refuse Biafra or niger Delta Republic end on Nairaland.
Go and remove them from all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations they belong and force them into where u want.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:07pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
Mr man both Epie and Atissa are under all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations without leaving even one behind, and that's because they are Ijaw.
All Ibo lues because Ijaw refuse Biafra or niger Delta Republic end on Nairaland.
Go and remove them from all Ijaw socia-cultural organizations they belong and force them into where u want.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:08pm On Dec 07, 2021
Since Na u wan tell them their Ancestors.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:09pm On Dec 07, 2021
The Ijaw Youth Council Chairman Epie clan, is same Ebi with me, and they named him in his Epie Ijaw dialect, and named me in my Kolokuma Ijaw dialect.
I'm Tari Ebi.
He is Ambozibe Ebi.

Mumu Ibo people.

3 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:10pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
The Ijaw Youth Council Chairman Epie clan, is same Ebi with me, and they named him in his Epie Ijaw dialect, and named me in my Kolokuma Ijaw dialect.
I'm Tari Ebi.
He is Ambozibe Ebi.

Mumu Ibo people.
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:12pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:
THE PEOPLE, ANCESTRY, ORGANIZATION AND CIVILIZATION

Epie-Atissa people are the original inhabitants of 30 communities in Yenagoa Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, Nigeria, with Yenebebeli Two as the newly recognised community.

The ancestral and migratory root of Epie-Atissa is traced to Akoko Edo Local Government Area in Edo State, from where groups moved to various places, untill Prince Zue, one of the sons of Oguan, the ancestor, founded Yenizue-Epie as the first place of settlement. A group of elites from Epie/Atissa, recently visited Akoko Edo and reaffirmed this claim.

Aside the Akoko Edo and Oguan origin, a few communities in Epie-Atissa, have their own migration narratives, few of which also finally tend to link the Edo origin, as first place of migration.

The language spoken by the people of Epie-Atissa ethnic nationality is known as Epie, under Delta-Edoid classification, and very similar to the language of Ukoroho group of people in Akoko Edo.

All of them are autonomous but contiguous communities, subject to the kingship of their Kingdoms. Thus, communities in Epie owe allegiance to the authority of the Obenibe of Epie Kingdom, while their brother communities in Atissa owe allegiance to the Ebenibe of Atissa Kingdom.

The people of Epie-Atissa, share common ancestral and migratory links with their brothers: Zarama in Yenagoa Local Government Area; Engenni and Degema of Rivers State, and by extension, Urhobo and Isoko, with similar origin, language and culture.

Subsistence farming, fishing, hunting, canoe carving, oil palm harvesting and processing of palm oil, inter-community and inter-ethnic trade in farm produce and food stuff and its other natural resources, served as means of livelihood.

They initially lived in bamboo-mud-thatch-roofed houses, changed to zinc-roofed-mud houses and later full-block-zinc-roofed houses before becoming Bayelsa State Capital. A business magnet, Late Chief Omeleh Tologere was the first to build block house, while Late Chief G. F. Omeleh, first owned a storey building.

Life was anchored on a communitarian philosophy of love and brotherhood, Ubuntu. Ancestral guiding spirits and ‘Inibru’ supplemented man-made laws, and slammed nemesis on offenders.

Writing Credit.
ETETE ENIDENEZE

You Ibo liar.
Why don't u go nd force them to join Urhobo, Benin nd Isoko socia-cultural organizations.
Tell them to leave Ijaw ones, since Na u wan tell them their Ancestors.

Landlocked dot circle Biafra Republic.
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:14pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:
GAINS OF RESTRUCTURING

The early contemporary leaders restructured Epie/Atissa into two clans, to get a colonial district for political and administative benefits, through a letter signed by Late Chief Korisei Torupina and other leaders in 1927.

Following the recognition as a district, a colonial customary court was set up at Onopa to stop the people from pulling canoes to litigate cases at Brass Island Province and Sagbagreai, where they lost cases because of wrong interpretation of Epie by Izons trained as interpreters.

A colonial sports council, was also set up in Yenagoa, the present location of the Samson Siasia Stadium.

Yenagoa turned into a Province Headquarters, hosted the Royal Niger Company, United African Company, and later Local Government headquarters.

Constituency and wards, were created, though still grossly inadequate, given population surge and under-representation in the legislatures of the three tiers of government.

Communities also provided their own ammenties, for example, earth roads, town halls, markets, schools and church buildings.

Notable among early government’s utilities are the old Oil Mill Road; the defunct Yenagoa Hospital, taken over by the FMC; Mbiama/Yenagoa Road, now Melford Okilo Road, facilitated by Late King E. P. Okoya of Bumoundi-Epetiama with Famgbe maternity, as then Secretary of Works (Minister) in the old Eastern Region; the defunct Oyoyo Market etcetera.

I just saw a name Torupina as an Epie leader name.
You just wrote it.
Let me interpret it in my Kolokuma Ijaw dialect.
It means Bright Eye.
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 9:16pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

You Ibo liar.
Why don't u go nd force them to join Urhobo, Benin nd Isoko socia-cultural organizations.
Tell them to leave Ijaw ones, since Na u wan tell them their Ancestors.

Landlocked dot circle Biafra Republic.

Please, do not come at me, go and face the renowned Epie son, ETETE ENIDENEZE, Journalist, Public Relations/Advertising Professional for Epie-Atissa ethnic nationality.

Please, go and face him o.

11 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 9:18pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

I just saw a name Torupina as an Epie leader name.
You just wrote it.
Let me interpret it in my Kolokuma Ijaw dialect.
It means Bright Eye.

I am sorry, I am not the original writer.

The public relations guru for Epie-Atissa people, wrote the article. ETETE ENIDENEZE, Journalist, Public Relations/Advertising Professional

9 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:18pm On Dec 07, 2021
I saw another name in your write up as an Epie leader.
KORISEI

In my Kolokuma dialect of Ijaw it means, dance while holding it.

And u say Epie is not Ijaw.

U mumu well well.
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:19pm On Dec 07, 2021
Ekealterego:

I am sorry, I am not the original writer.

The public relations guru for Epie-Atissa people, wrote the article. ETETE ENIDENEZE, Journalist, Public Relations/Advertising Professional

That's a lie.
U ibos wrote it.
We know.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:20pm On Dec 07, 2021
Let me check d name of another Epie-Ijaw leader u wrote again so that I interpret it.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:23pm On Dec 07, 2021
I saw a name Tologere. As another Epie leader.
In my Kolokuma dialect it's Tolokere.
Meaning clean is the name.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:23pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
I saw a name Tologere. As another Epie leader.
In my Kolokuma dialect it's Tolokere.
Meaning clean is the name.
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2021
I saw a name Fefegha as Epie leader.
In my Kolokuma dialect it means doesn't like to buy it.
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by DitariDisciple2: 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2021
Let me check for more names that u wrote.
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 9:25pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:

That's a lie.
U ibos wrote it.
We know.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/theperiscopeglobal.com/2021/06/02/epie-atissa-the-people-and-challenge-of-development/%3famp=1

Behave yourself, you claim Bayelsan and yet you do not know Etete Enideneze, a renowned Epie writer and journalist.

Behave yourself. It shows that you do not belong to the Epie-Atissa ethnic nationality.

16 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Pass11: 9:28pm On Dec 07, 2021
DitariDisciple2:
All Ibo lies because Ijaw refuse Biafra or niger Delta Republic end on Nairaland.
Yes they're under political ijaw not under ijaw ethnic group.
According to ijaw national council constitution anybody be you Yoruba, lgala,bini, ndokwa Fulani and Isoko can join political ijaw. Here is your Ijaw people constitution, abi I lie grin

6 Likes

Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Pass11: 9:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
Dartilo:
So Yenagoa is not ijaw?
Don't you know
Re: Meet The Epie-Atissa People of Bayelsa State. by Ekealterego: 9:29pm On Dec 07, 2021
Igboid:
God bless Epie-Attisa people, God bless Oguan ethnic nationality, God bless Bayelsa, God bless NIGERIA.
May God bless Epie-Atissa and Oguan Ethnic nationality at large.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lai Mohammed Looking Dejected In Daura / Photos: Meet The One Armed Senator-elect, Nneji Athan Achonu / Ribadu Denies Withdrawing From Adamawa Governorship Race

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.