Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. (764 Views)

I Am Dying Of Landlord Problem, God Help Me / Erosion Destroys Major Road In Kaduna Community - Help Us / Otedola Donates 1 Billion Naira To Pdp , Dangote 3biliion. May God Help The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:26am On Jun 12, 2011
DEVILISH ATTACK
•Family recalls how hoodlums in a commercial bus try to throw son down Ojota bridge
By MATTHEW DIKE
Thursday, June 02, 2011   
Victims
Photo: Sun News Publishing 
More Stories on This Section

A family is still thanking God for sparing their lives from the hands of hoodlums who attacked them with dangerous weapons at Ojota, Lagos. Their attackers believed to be criminals also attempted to throw one of them down from the Ojota bridge.

The Oyebanjis will not forget in a hurry that fateful Monday morning when they arrived Lagos from Ibadan, and at the Ojota bridge, a Tata commercial bus fully loaded with some boys hit their Mercedes Benz car from the rear.

The head of the family, Segun, who narrated their ordeals to Daily Sun, said he was still in shock the way their attackers dealt with them even when they knew they (attackers) were guilty of hitting their car.
Segun said: “On the fateful day, his family, including the brother in-law and a friend had a smooth drive from Ibadan to Lagos. He said at Ojota a Tata bus fully loaded with some boys and was initially plying the BRT lane suddenly diverted to the main road.”

He said as the bus driver swerved to the main road, he hit his Mercedes Benz car on the rear, adding that he tried to caution the driver and to also show him the damage done to his car, but the driver ordered his boys to beat him up. He said the boys who were armed with matchetes, spanners, harmmers and other dangerous weapons without wasting time descended on him, his family and other occupants of his car. He said the driver also joined in the beating and later ordered his boys to throw his son, Bukunmi, down from the Ojota bridge.
According to him, about five of their attackers held Bukunmi and attempted to throw him down, but he was saved by divine intervention as they could not lift him up enough.

“You can imagine what would have happened if the hoodlums had succeeded in throwing Bukunmi down from the high bridge. He would have died instantly.” The man who was thanking God for sparing their lives said: “How would it have looked like for me and my wife watching our child being thrown down from the bridge. I saw wickedness. It was the height of man’s inhumanity to man, that a man who wrongfully hit my car still had the effrontery to order his boys to beat up a man and his family.”

The aggrieved man said the hoodlums did not stop at humiliating them in the public, but allegedly robbed them of money and other personal effects. “They collected N5,000 from me while my wife’s necklace that she bought N35,000 was also stolen from her.” Bukunmi, 17, who corroborated his father’s narratives, said when it was dawn on him that the criminals were determined to throw him down from the bridge, he held on to them with all his strength.

He said he was divinely saved when two policemen appeared on the scene to rescue him. “The bad boys left me and started beating the policemen. The policemen had to run away living us to our fate.” He said some officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) who witnessed what transpired were afraid to come to their rescue as the hoodlums were heavily armed with dangerous weapons.
According to him, when their attackers eventually zoomed off, the LASTMA officials came and took photo shots of the scene and advised them to report the incident to the police.

The man regretted that the hoodlums after beating and robbing them of their belongings escaped without being arrested by the police. He wants the police to fish out the hoodlums, who he felt the LASTMA officials may have gotten the number of their vehicle as they watched what transpired from the beginning to the end.
He said it was a challenge to the police to find and prosecute the brigandage who beat him and his parents.

***********************************************

Lord help us all!!!!! And we say there's law and order in this country. That an innocent law abiding family can be robbed and beaten up to within an inch of their lifes in broad day light, and bystanders just look on helplessly. The two policemen that arrived on the scene to try and help were also given a healthy dose of beating and having decided they had taken enough, took to their heels for dear life sad.

If you're not a wealthy thieving elite that can afford to insulate yourself from all this tragic nonsense, all you can say about this news is: there -but for the grace of God- go i.
Re: God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by DisGuy: 6:45am On Jun 12, 2011
He said he was divinely saved when two policemen appeared on the scene to rescue him. “The bad boys left me and started beating the policemen. The policemen had to run away living us to our fate.” He said some officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Agency (LASTMA) who witnessed what transpired were afraid to come to their rescue as the hoodlums were heavily armed with dangerous weapons.
According to him, when their attackers eventually zoomed off, the LASTMA officials came and took photo shots of the scene and advised them to report the incident to the police.

The man regretted that the hoodlums after beating and robbing them of their belongings escaped without being arrested by the police. He wants the police to fish out the hoodlums, who he felt the LASTMA officials may have gotten the number of their vehicle as they watched what transpired from the beginning to the end.
He said it was a challenge to the police to find and prosecute the brigandage who beat him and his parents.

just too crazy something 'ordinary' people experience in the country- no dpo to call, no official, no justice, even with pictures and number plate of the vehicle all they will get is a police report
Re: God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 12, 2011
Hoodlums beating policemen ? shocked are they not armed to unleash their accidental discharge skills on them ?
Re: God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by hollandis(f): 8:21am On Jun 12, 2011
Is there any such thing as ojota bridge.Bogus report.Believe @ur own risk
Re: God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by daroz(m): 8:28am On Jun 12, 2011
This is not a country at all. I weep
Re: God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by hercules07: 9:00am On Jun 12, 2011
@Hollandis

There is a bridge linking Maryland to Ojota, it empties traffic to New Garage.
Re: God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by ikeyman00(m): 11:30am On Jun 12, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@'

yes was in ojota last month and was informed lagos has been taken over by hmmmmmmm

as night dey reach people dey run go their home ooooooooo

eko eyaaaaaaaaa

fashola hmm
Re: God Help Us! This Could Be Anyones' Family. by hercules07: 12:00pm On Jun 12, 2011
@Ikeyman

It is not that bad, we still have the patrol vans in the dark spots, once Fashola finishes with his Power project, he can light up all those dark places and it will be easier to deal with these type of crimes.

(1) (Reply)

What Nigerians Pay To Run The Nation. Publication That Got El-rufai In Trouble / Re:Don’t Legalise Prostitution (Mrs Fashola) -Is Tinubu Not A Political P.I.M.P? / Please Check It Out, Www.signatureproperties.gbno.com.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.