Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,792 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:02 PM

Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria (8163 Views)

African Migrant Caught Hiding In Car's Engine In Attempt To Enter Spain(photo) / We Pay Between 300 - 500 Naira To Enter Nigeria – Illegal Immigrants (Pictured) / Is Old Mrp Passport Still A Valid Identification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by jerryben12: 2:25pm On Jun 12, 2011
Can someone still enter Nigeria with the old Nigerian passport when it is not expired? My friend just asked me this question and I do not have an honest answer. He intend to come to Nigeria and then get the new epassport in Nigeria. He still has the old passport that has not expired and not the epassport.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by anfanio: 2:44pm On Jun 12, 2011
jerryben12,
Yes, you can still enter Nigeria with the old passport.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by MPEROR: 9:27pm On Jun 12, 2011
yes
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by jerryben12: 10:01pm On Jun 12, 2011
anfanio:

jerryben12,
Yes, you can still enter Nigeria with the old passport.

Thank you for this information.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by jerryben12: 10:01pm On Jun 12, 2011
MPEROR:

yes

Thank you much!
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by unipol(m): 10:58pm On Jun 12, 2011
with the same passport that has not expired but not e-passport, can you use it and apply for london visa from other european countries?
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by steve13(m): 8:47am On Jun 13, 2011
@unipol,No,if you have the MRP(old passport)all u re allowed to do now is to come back to naija with it to get new one ,E passport,u can't even leave naija with the old one now.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by snowdrops(m): 11:31am On Jun 13, 2011
steve_101:

@unipol,No,if you have the MRP(old passport)all u re allowed to do now is to come back to naija with it to get new one ,E passport,u can't even leave naija with the old one now.
fair enough. i guess that explains it.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by MMM2(m): 12:32pm On Jun 13, 2011
op
re u people not from 9ja,
everything is possible in 9ja.(MONEY)
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 12:47pm On Jun 13, 2011
M M M:

op
what do u mean everything is possible, because i have the old passport with indefinite stay on it, but i ve been told that i can travell out of the united kingdom with it (the old passport) but i must get the new one before coming back to the london is this true?
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 13, 2011
but i heard that the whole epassport thing has been suspended by jonathan till further notice, is this true?
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by debosky(m): 1:20pm On Jun 13, 2011
oti-igba:

but i heard that the whole epassport thing has been suspended by jonathan till further notice, is this true?

Nothing has been suspended - why not apply to the closest consulate/embassy to you instead of believing rumours?

Either apply abroad, or come to Nigeria and apply from here.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by Princek12(m): 1:59pm On Jun 13, 2011
A citizen of Nigeria can technically enter Nigeria even without a passport, as long as citizenship can be presumably proved upon entry. With that being said, having an expired passport is facial proof of citizenship, which entitles the passport holder to enter his country of citizenship. However, other countries will not allow you to use the passport to enter their country, even if the expired passport has a valid visa.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by noblegas2(m): 2:08pm On Jun 13, 2011
M M M:

op

I pity you! seems your ass wanna get deported at MMIA abi?
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by worry246(m): 2:33pm On Jun 13, 2011
Truth to tell
Someone at MMA immigration will need "Cash" to let you through without too much wahalla.
If you are not ready to pay I bet you get delayed for long time at MMA.
Have cash ready!
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by jerryben12: 3:05pm On Jun 13, 2011
steve_101:

Nice summary
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by jerryben12: 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2011
Princek12:

A citizen of Nigeria can technically enter Nigeria even without a passport, as long as citizenship can be presumably proved upon entry. With that being said, having an expired passport is facial proof of citizenship, which entitles the passport holder to enter his country of citizenship. However, other countries will not allow you to use the passport to enter their country, even if the expired passport has a valid visa.

Very factual! Thanks!
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by no1madman(m): 3:21pm On Jun 13, 2011
It has been extended to dec.2011. . .u r fuckin free 2 travel. . .  .
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 4:38pm On Jun 13, 2011
no1madman:

It has been extended to dec.2011. . .u r Zap.i .n free 2 travel. . . .
really? are u sure? because some people on here says it is a rumor,
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 4:51pm On Jun 13, 2011
debosky:

Nothing has been suspended - why not apply to the closest consulate/embassy to you instead of believing rumours?

Either apply abroad, or come to Nigeria and apply from here.
i ve already applied here in london but they gave me an interview untill november, but i want to travell to naija before november but if it is suspended means i can go and come back before november for the interview
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by debosky(m): 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2011
^^ As others have mentioned, you can travel to Nigeria and then do the renewal there.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by no1madman(m): 6:05pm On Jun 13, 2011
oti-igba:

really? are u sure? because some people on here says it is a rumor,
YEAH!I got d info in April. . . i go reconfirm. .
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 7:24pm On Jun 13, 2011
It is not advisable to enter Nigeria with the old passport. In case you reside in the U.K, you may get an emergency travel certificate from The Nigerian High commission in London. While in Nigeria, you can get a passport with a day, two days or one week depending on how much you want to offer. I did that recently.
This is just to be on a safe side.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by bomly(f): 9:05pm On Jun 13, 2011
Hello You cannot oh, don't waste your flight ticket money. Menahwile you must enter Nigeria with your naija passport or Visa on a foreign passport if not them go post you go back even if you like speak Yoruba, Hausa or whatever tribe.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:37pm On Jun 13, 2011
I agree - if you have any concerns, get an ETC and travel to Nigeria with that.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by jerryben12: 9:48pm On Jun 13, 2011
I Just saw this on the website of Nigeria Embassy Washington DC:

Announcements
04/05/2011: EXTENSION OF VALIDITY OF MRP PASSPORT

EXTENSION OF VALIDITY OF MRP PASSPORT

PUBLIC NOTICE

EXTENSION OF VALIDITY OF MRP PASSPORT

The general public and Nigerians in particular are hereby notified that the federal government of Nigeria has reviewed the exercise of issuance of the E-passport, and in view of the challenges with meeting its set target, has further extended the validity of the old Machine Readable Passport (MRP) from the earlier date of 30th April 2011 till further notice.

2. With this development, holders of the MRP Passports who wish to renew the validity of the passport could do so. However, they are encouraged to obtain the E-Passport as soon as possible as the E-passport will eventually become the only officially recognized travel document in Nigeria.

3. By virtue of the extension of the validity of the MRP passport, holders of such passports will continue to receive recognition from host and foreign authorities.

http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=12&cntnt01origid=15&cntnt01detailtemplate=nigeriadet&cntnt01returnid=88
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by no1madman(m): 10:07pm On Jun 13, 2011
^^Don't trouble your soul. . .i know wetin dey. . .u r free 2 go. ,  . .check ur mail.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by TayoD1(m): 10:42pm On Jun 13, 2011
@topic,

Yes you can come into Niaja with the old passport. I came in about a week ago on vacation with the old one. For N20k, I was able to get the new e-passport in 2 days.

One funny thing though, the immigration folks at the Airport did not even endorse that old passport claiming its no longer recognized. So while Jonathan may have extended the deadline for changing to the new e-passport, it will be wise to get it as soon as possible. I waited to come to Niaja to change it instead of going to Atlanta for economic and convenience reason. I would have had to pay about $1200 for flights to Atlanta in addition to the inconvenience and the cost of the passport if I were to do it in Atlanta. Compare that to just N80k that I paid in Naija for my entire family.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by beeman80: 11:00am On Jun 14, 2011
Just come home my guy and try not to act naive at MMA or else those hungry officers will exploit you.You are welcome into your country anytime with or without the new passport.Its your country remember?Just ensure that you get the new e-passport which is sleek and finer.All the best dude! wink
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by iice(f): 11:51am On Jun 14, 2011
Yes you can. I heard tongue
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by jerryben12: 3:44pm On Jun 14, 2011
All,

I just want to say a BIG 'THANK YOU' to everyone for all the valuable contributions. I see that this thread has benefited a lot of people. Keep up the good work.

Jerry.
Re: Can The Old Nigeria Passport Still Be Used To Enter Nigeria by otiigba1(m): 5:08pm On Jun 14, 2011
jerryben12:

All,

I just want to say a BIG 'THANK YOU' to everyone for all the valuable contributions. I see that this thread has benefited a lot of people. Keep up the good work.

Jerry.
yes! absolutely! infact it has benefited me the most its been briliant!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Student Visa To Belgium / Lagos State Government Declares Free BRT Service On Christmas, New Year's Day / Apapa Traffic: Lagos To Provide 3,000-capacity Truck Terminal In Orile-iganmu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.