Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:44 AM

What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? (10581 Views)

The Ruling On A Woman Sleeping Alone, Apart From Her Husband, In A Separate Room / The Ruling On Urinating While Standing / What Is The Ruling On Saying “jesus!” When One Is Astonished? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Lukgaf(m): 8:21am On Dec 10, 2021
Dr. Faadhil: I do not know why the questioner asked this question, but perhaps he thinks that a man addressing his wife as "Ummu" means that he has called her his mum; and whoever addresses his wife as his mum has made a big mistake because it resembles divorce. And since it is not permitted for a husband to address his wife as "my mum", this person may think that addressing one's wife as "Ummu" is the same as addressing her as "my mum".

On a closer look, it doesn't mean the husband refers to his wife as his mum, but rather - as with the majority of the people that address their wives as "Ummu" - he only shortens the name; for example, if she is "Ummu Abdillah" and he doesn't wish to call that in full, he says "Ummu" while intending it as "Ummu Abdillah".

A husband addressing his wife as "my mum" is one of the assumed means of divorce, but it is not divorce. However, as Muslims, we are to stay away from doubtful issues as much as possible.

That said, it is not dignifying enough for husbands to address their wives with names that don't depict love; some of such names are Ummu, Abu and so on. The prophet (may the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) didn't address any of his wives as "Ummu" although he used to say Ummu so and so.

We can address our wives by their names, like calling the person bearing Aaishah as "Aaish".

So, there is no problem in addressing one's wife as "Ummu", but it is dignifying enough as it may not foster love. Wives can also address their husbands by their names ones in a while, but it shouldn't be in public; just between them. When in public, they can address their husbands with the names that people address them with or their nicknames or simple "my husband".

We don't appreciate this in Yoruba land, which is not supposed to be like that. Some husbands address their wives as "the mother of my children" which is wrong because the term is used for slave.

As for the question, two things should be noted. The first is that a husband addressing his wife "Ummu" doesn't mean his wife has become haram for him. The second is that couples should address each other with names that will foster and strengthen love between them.
May Allah guide us to the right path.

Extracted by Adwas From Early Morning Questions And Answers On Thursday (25/11/21)

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Rashduct4luv(m): 8:37am On Dec 10, 2021
Honey pie! Sugar pie! Sugar! Honey! Sweet heart! Heart robber! grin Cuttie! Cuttest! Handsome! Pretty! Baby boo!

Gone are those days when it's "You are the only sugar in my tea".

Islam is lovely!

Share love between you and your spouse(s) everyday in good times and otherwise!
Let the husbands be husbands and wives wives!

Be fathers and mothers to your children!

Be Muslims!

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Lukgaf(m): 9:05am On Dec 10, 2021
"my chocomilo"smiley
Rashduct4luv:
Honey pie! Sugar pie! Sugar! Honey! Sweet heart! Heart robber! grin Cuttie! Cuttest! Handsome! Pretty! Baby boo!

Gone are those days when it's "You are the only sugar in my tea".

Islam is lovely!

Share love between you and your spouse(s) everyday in good times and otherwise!
Let the husbands be husbands and wives wives!

Be fathers and mothers to your children!

Be Muslims!

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:15am On Dec 10, 2021
Lukgaf:
"my chocomilo"smiley

cheesy

My Crush!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by chillychill(f): 11:44am On Dec 10, 2021
cheesy "part of me".. My darling, my choice, sweetheart.. Dose days tongue wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by advocatejare(m): 2:05pm On Dec 10, 2021
Leverage2021:
grin seriously all these are copied doctrines from kufir that's why you have no Hadith or Quran to illustrate

Islam that prescribes beating wives till they turn green like their clothes never thaught this

Sahih al-Bukhari 5825

Rifa`a divorced his wife whereupon `AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. `Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating).
It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) came, `Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women (Muslim woman). Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!

The Bible teaches men to love their wives.

The Quran, the word of Allah teaches husbands to beat their wives, use hunger as a weapon against women until they die.

"Those who commit unlawful sexual intercourse of your women - bring against them four [witnesses] from among you. And if they testify, confine the guilty women to houses until death takes them or Allah ordains for them [another] way."
(QS. An-Nisaa 4: Verse 15)

Here we are told that women should be confined to the house until they are dead, torture by starvation as commanded by Allah who Muslims claim is all merciful

The same Allah allows Wife beating in Islam:

"Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: A man will not be asked as to why he beat his wife.
Sunan Abu Dawud 11:2142

Allah allowed wife beating

"Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."
-Quran 4:34

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Techreliance(m): 11:08am On Dec 17, 2021
Lukgaf:

Dr. Faadhil: I do not know why the questioner asked this question, but perhaps he thinks that a man addressing his wife as "Ummu" means that he has called her his mum; and whoever addresses his wife as his mum has made a big mistake because it resembles divorce. And since it is not permitted for a husband to address his wife as "my mum", this person may think that addressing one's wife as "Ummu" is the same as addressing her as "my mum".

On a closer look, it doesn't mean the husband refers to his wife as his mum, but rather - as with the majority of the people that address their wives as "Ummu" - he only shortens the name; for example, if she is "Ummu Abdillah" and he doesn't wish to call that in full, he says "Ummu" while intending it as "Ummu Abdillah".

A husband addressing his wife as "my mum" is one of the assumed means of divorce, but it is not divorce. However, as Muslims, we are to stay away from doubtful issues as much as possible.

That said, it is not dignifying enough for husbands to address their wives with names that don't depict love; some of such names are Ummu, Abu and so on. The prophet (may the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) didn't address any of his wives as "Ummu" although he used to say Ummu so and so.

We can address our wives by their names, like calling the person bearing Aaishah as "Aaish".

So, there is no problem in addressing one's wife as "Ummu", but it is dignifying enough as it may not foster love. Wives can also address their husbands by their names ones in a while, but it shouldn't be in public; just between them. When in public, they can address their husbands with the names that people address them with or their nicknames or simple "my husband".

We don't appreciate this in Yoruba land, which is not supposed to be like that. Some husbands address their wives as "the mother of my children" which is wrong because the term is used for slave.

As for the question, two things should be noted. The first is that a husband addressing his wife "Ummu" doesn't mean his wife has become haram for him. The second is that couples should address each other with names that will foster and strengthen love between them.

Extracted by Adwas From Early Morning Questions And Answers On Thursday (25/11/21)

Na'am, Jazzakallau kair Akhi

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Praktikals(m): 11:15am On Dec 17, 2021
Islam teaches us to beat our wives into submission and we owe you kafirs no explanation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by vannessa7(f): 11:18am On Dec 17, 2021
Christian storming this thread to display their ignorance, as if they can change what Allah (SWT) has perfected, many of them will wish they were muslims after this life.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Lukgaf(m): 11:25am On Dec 17, 2021
Techreliance:

Na'am, Jazzakallau kair Akhi

Ameen wa iyyakum sir

1 Like

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Omeizadean(m): 11:28am On Dec 17, 2021
advocatejare:

The Bible teaches men to love their wives.

The Quran, the word of Allah teaches husbands to beat their wives, use hunger as a weapon against women until they die.

Here we are told that women should be confined to the house until they are dead, torture by starvation as commanded by Allah who Muslims claim is all merciful

The same Allah allows Wife beating in Islam:

Allah allowed wife beating

The bible didn't even acknowledge women. It hardly talk about women, that's why there is no chapter authored by any woman in the bible. Masochist spits. Apart from the book of being mother of all errors.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Omeizadean(m): 11:32am On Dec 17, 2021
Leverage2021:
Same religion want to turn logic on its head

Too bad he couldn't even find any Hadith for this

A religion that believes Mohamed is superior to all men as a human being and places any woman he bleeps as superior to all women

grin please o what is daddy G.O and mummy G.O again grin

Sahih al-Bukhari 3411
Narrated Abu Musa:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Many amongst men reached (the level of) perfection but none amongst the women reached this level except Asia, Pharaoh's wife, and Mary, the daughter of `Imran. And no doubt, the superiority of `Aisha to other women is like the superiority of Tharid (i.e. a meat and bread dish) to other meals."

Here is ur perfect religion of errors.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Amspecial: 11:50am On Dec 17, 2021
grin
Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Khadris08: 12:15pm On Dec 17, 2021
Jazakallahu Khairan

1 Like

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by thatsleepboy1: 12:19pm On Dec 17, 2021
vannessa7:
Christian storming this thread to display their ignorance, as if they can change what Allah (SWT) has perfected, many of them will wish they were muslims after this life.

Islam is not a religion from G-D at all, it is full of fables.

See what allah says about women, they're even farmlands.

The Koran beautifully sums up women's status in Surat al-Baqara 2:223

Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala said:

نِسَآ ؤُكُمْ حَرْثٌ لَّـكُمْ ۖ فَأْتُوْا حَرْثَكُمْ اَنّٰى شِئْتُمْ ۖ وَقَدِّمُوْا لِاَ نْفُسِكُمْ ۗ وَا تَّقُوا اللّٰهَ وَا عْلَمُوْۤا اَنَّکُمْ مُّلٰقُوْهُ ۗ وَ بَشِّرِ الْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ
"Your wives are a place of sowing of seed for you, so come to your place of cultivation however you wish and put forth [righteousness] for yourselves. (QS. Al-Baqara 2: Verse 223)

To say that wives must be passive
partners is an understatement. According to the Koran they are like farmlands or landed properties while the husbands are husbandmen. As farmlands have no will of their own, in Islam, neither do wives.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by thatsleepboy1: 12:22pm On Dec 17, 2021
Omeizadean:

You need to read the bible and stop bringing up nonsense questions.

Abraham's works was justified by faith and during his time, there was no law, so stop your fuulishness and be schooled before you spit trash.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Omeizadean(m): 12:31pm On Dec 17, 2021
thatsleepboy1:

You need to read the bible and stop bringing up nonsense questions.

Abraham's works was justified by faith and during his time, there was no law, so stop your fuulishness and be schooled before you spit trash.

Ur religious is full of trash. If u need to respond to me do so by refuting those verses I post here.
Contradictory per excellence.
If ur religion teaches u people to be good why are 80 to 90 % pastor raping under age girls and sleeping with married women up and down? Why have they turn the church to circus show where they performed all acts of debauchery on women apart from finessing all their members of their hard earned money in the name of tithes, offering, sowing of seeds, miracles etc ?
Spat an Amber phlegm at ur feet.

5 Likes

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by thatsleepboy1: 12:37pm On Dec 17, 2021
Omeizadean:

Ur religious is full of trash. If u need to respond to me do so by refuting those verses I post here.
Contradictory per excellence.
If ur religion teaches u people to be good why are 80 to 90 % pastor raping under age girls and sleeping with married women up and down? Why have they turn the church to circus show where they performed all acts of debauchery on women apart from finessing all their members of their hard earned money in the name of tithes, offering, sowing of seeds, miracles etc ?
Spat an Amber phlegm at ur feet.

Abeg compose your sentences well, like I said earlier, I've been talking with facts, also come up with yours too, kindly open the said verses and post them here yourself like we've been doing, no dey do anyhow.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by STEWpid(f): 12:51pm On Dec 17, 2021
Lobatan

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by advocatejare(m): 1:14pm On Dec 17, 2021
Omeizadean:

The bible didn't even acknowledge women.
The story of of Mariam that Muhammad stole and wrote in the Quran, where did he copy it from?

These are women that are mentioned and honoured in the Bible, apart from Maryam which other woman’s name was mentioned in the Quran?

Queen Esther

Abigail

Ruth

Rebecca

Naomi and many more

Stop saying what you don’t know

that's why there is no chapter authored by any woman in the bible.
The fact that you have sura Maryam does not mean anything.

The Quran that has chapters named after cow, Table, Cattle, Thunder, Rock, Bees etc.

So what’s special in placing Maryam on the same level as animals and tables.

Apart from the book of being mother of all errors.
Quran is the book of mother of errors.

If I start exposing it, you’ll run away

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by b03liberty(m): 1:16pm On Dec 17, 2021
Lukgaf:

And where do we place the "intention"?

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by b03liberty(m): 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2021
I think aniyan (intention) is the most important thing
Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by EmmaLege: 2:03pm On Dec 17, 2021
grin grin
Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by Crystalom3(m): 2:14pm On Dec 17, 2021
Rashduct4luv:

cheesy

My Crush!
Candy crush or candy crush saga

grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by abdulizom(m): 2:31pm On Dec 17, 2021
Jazakumullahu khairan, thank Allah for the benefit of Islam

quote author=Lukgaf post=108369295]

[/quote]
Re: What Is The Ruling Concerning A Husband Calling His Wife "Ummuh" ? by vannessa7(f): 6:09pm On Dec 17, 2021
thatsleepboy1:

Islam is not a religion from G-D at all, it is full of fables.

See what allah says about women, they're even farmlands.

The Koran beautifully sums up women's status in Surat al-Baqara 2:223

Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala said:

نِسَآ ؤُكُمْ حَرْثٌ لَّـكُمْ ۖ فَأْتُوْا حَرْثَكُمْ اَنّٰى شِئْتُمْ ۖ وَقَدِّمُوْا لِاَ نْفُسِكُمْ ۗ وَا تَّقُوا اللّٰهَ وَا عْلَمُوْۤا اَنَّکُمْ مُّلٰقُوْهُ ۗ وَ بَشِّرِ الْمُؤْمِنِيْنَ
"Your wives are a place of sowing of seed for you, so come to your place of cultivation however you wish and put forth [righteousness] for yourselves. (QS. Al-Baqara 2: Verse 223)

To say that wives must be passive
partners is an understatement. According to the Koran they are like farmlands or landed properties while the husbands are husbandmen. As farmlands have no will of their own, in Islam, neither do wives.

I was a former christian minister for several years, the bible liken a woman to a well and cistern in song of solomon, you can find fault as much as you like
You can say whatever you like, it will not change God or His work, you can not dictate for God and you will not determine who makes heaven on the last day. Alhamdulilahi Minal muslumin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prohibition Of Spying And Prying Into People's Life / Do Muslims Believe That They Get 72 Virgins In Heaven? / Disrespecting The Graves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.