Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,698 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere (22176 Views)

Fayose Says He Will Only Support A Southern President In 2023 / 2023: Top Northern Politicians Pushing For Southern President / "Retire In 2019, Nigeria Needs A Healthy President" - Afenifere Urges Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by dre11(m): 11:13am On Dec 11, 2021
Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, has said it was not desperate to have a Yoruba man as Nigeria’s president in 2023.

The group said it would rather favour a president that emerges from any part of the South.

The group’s position was in contrast with that of Yoruba Council of Elders, which said it supported a president of Yoruba extraction.

The two leading Yoruba groups made their positions known during separate interviews on Friday with The Sun following consultations being made by some All Progressives Congress governors.

Some power brokers in the South-West under the Development Agenda for Western Nigeria had met in Ibadan, Oyo State, recently under the aegis of Next Level Consolidation Forum to ensure that South-West produced Nigeria's next president in 2023.

They had insisted that presidential power must come to the South-West in 2023, and the acceptable person that the Yoruba would present for the office would be decided as time went on.

But in an interview, the National Publicity Secretary of Afenifere, Mr Jare Ajayi, said, “First of all, the presidency in 2023 must shift to the Southern part of the country. We insist on that. For whether it should be South-East, South-South or South-West, we want the best person, who will do the job, correct all the anomalies that the country is going through, and ensure that Nigeria move forward to where other countries are in the 21st Century and beyond.

“That is the kind of candidate that we are looking forward to. To be specific, when we get close to that time, we will decide. As far as we are concerned in Afenifere, whoever that emerges as president in 2023, will have problem in running the country if Nigeria is not restructured. There must be serious tinkering with the present structure in such a way that it will be pro-people, rather than how it is now.

“There must be restructuring before 2023. The question of where the president will come from is secondary. But the president must come from the Southern part of this country. What we are running on the country today is more or less a unitary government, which concentrates too much power at the centre. So, we are calling for decentralisation and genuine commitment to the rule of law and federalism. We are insisting that these must take place before the 2023 elections.”

Secretary-General, YCE, Dr Kunle Olajide, stated that he would be “very delighted if Nigerians decide to elect our kinsman as president in 2023 for a number of reasons”.

He said, “If you look at the landscape of Nigeria, without being immodest, Yoruba people appear to be the most liberal and most accommodating in Nigeria. Traditionally, Yoruba culture is that at all times, we must do what is right and you must insist on fairness and equity for all.”

http://saharareporters.com/2021/12/11/2023-we-insist-southern-president-not-yoruba-president-%E2%80%93afenifere

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by BigSarah(f): 11:17am On Dec 11, 2021
All this preference is why this one Nigeria can't succeed....

The choice of leaders will always be by tribe and religion, Reasonable countries make these choices by political spectrum and ideology...

2023 a failure is guaranteed..

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by makemoneywbsite: 11:20am On Dec 11, 2021
I personally prefer power remains in the north. It will serve the interest of all, especially the south.

8 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by mrvitalis(m): 11:22am On Dec 11, 2021
All this 10 Kobo sense this people they bring

If we must ask for zoning then we must ask for zoning to the end

If power is zoned to the south it's only fair it's zoned also to south east (which I pray doesn't happen ,Nigeria is dead ) outside that lets end zoning let everyone contest

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by makemoneywbsite: 11:22am On Dec 11, 2021
BigSarah:
What really do southerners want?

The presidency

Restructuring

Secession
There'[s nothing like the south. What we have are the supporters of the north (Yoruba, Ijaw), The neutrals (Midwest Edo), and those tired of backwardness in the British contraption (Igbo, Akwa-Cross).

81 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Abdul05: 11:25am On Dec 11, 2021
dre11:

The group’s position was in contrast with that of Yoruba Council of Elders, which said it supported a president of Yoruba extraction.

grin same thing with me not ibo president

Most of them are tribalistics to the core ..

Their tribal royalties towards themselves are stronger than national ones...

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Sonyboom765: 11:30am On Dec 11, 2021
Fool as power ever been zoned to the NW before that you fools now demand power should be zoned to the SE at the detriment of others.

mrvitalis:

If power is zoned to the south it's only fair it's zoned also to south east (which I pray doesn't happen ,Nigeria is dead ) outside that lets end zoning let everyone contest

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by ShobayoEmma(m): 11:41am On Dec 11, 2021
We do not need to know than what we know already that all politicians are only looking out for themselves; just that some are more selfish than the others.

6 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by mrvitalis(m): 11:47am On Dec 11, 2021
Sonyboom765:
Fool as power ever been zoned to the NW before that you fools now demand power should be zoned to the SE at the detriment of others.

But u want power to be zoned to the south at the detriment of others right ?

What's the purpose of zoning really let me ask you ?

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by tollyboy5(m): 11:54am On Dec 11, 2021
BigSarah:
What really do southerners want?

The presidency

Restructuring

Secession
A true southerner not obansanjo type, abasanjo is a military trained to serve Nigeria.
A true southerner not ameachi type would head towards restructuring.

Tinubu would have been the best but I can't vote for someone of such. We need someone else like akeredolu.

I've not seen any eastern leaders that would work towards restructuring when they get there.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Penguin2: 11:55am On Dec 11, 2021
Tinubu ambition in the mud.

Even Afenifere no send his frog eye.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Moptimam: 11:56am On Dec 11, 2021
[s]
makemoneywbsite:
I personally prefer power remains in the north. It will serve the interest of all, especially the south.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by tollyboy5(m): 11:59am On Dec 11, 2021
Penguin2:
Tinubu ambition in the mud.

Even Afenifere no send his frog eye.
I don't support tinubu but who is fit for the position with restructuring in mind ?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Ttalk: 12:00pm On Dec 11, 2021
That's what respected elder should say

9 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 11, 2021
Anyone part and parcel of this Govt, directly and indirectly is bad product.. some people dont even realize how bad things have gotten.

SE, NE, NC are viable options.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by tollyboy5(m): 12:04pm On Dec 11, 2021
makemoneywbsite:

There'[s nothing like the south. What we have are the supporters of the north (Yoruba, Ijaw), The neutrals (Midwest Edo), and those tired of backwardness in the British contraption (Igbo, Akwa-Cross).
The South East are not ready to leave Nigeria who are you deceiving?

Nobody is holding the five south East state.
But dragging other state is the problem.
If the southEast politicians can work together to get Biafra like the way the north shield bandit no one will hold them.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 11, 2021
Afenifebi should go and read afonja story, mumu elders angry

Better go and beg for akpu from your master

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 11, 2021
makemoneywbsite:

Now you are talking

Yoruba Southwest
Igbo south east
Edo, Ijaw Akwa Cross South south

Stand alone and stop looking for where to hide

12 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Tranquillity360: 12:10pm On Dec 11, 2021
Total division is what we want.

4 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Founded: 12:13pm On Dec 11, 2021
Tranquillity360:
Total division is what we want.
hmm
Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 11, 2021
SlyDev:
Afenifebi should go and read afonja story, mumu elders angry

Better to and beg for akpu from your master
grin

mrvitalis:

Which other are you talking about? We have Southern and Northern Nigeria.

I'm speaking for APC alone, Power will be zone to the South.

I do not know about other Political Party like APGA, PDP ect.

hollah123:
zoning means it's the turn of a particular section of the country,north west have had it twice with buhari n yaradua n it wasn't micro zoned but they worked for it n now it's d turn of the south n u want them to micro zone it to u,is that possible?

In 1999,it was a southern thing n all southerners came out to contest, ekweme contested against obj n he was defeated then same way olu falae thrashed ogbonnaya onu.

So the same way all southerners slug it out in 1999 is the same way we will still slug it out in 2023.

The two Yoruba candidates that defeated the two ibos candidate are Christians o.

So there should be no excuse of Northerners voting for them because they are muslims.

Igbos know they stand no chance competing against a Yoruba man in the 2023 presidential election, the only geopolitical region the igbo candidate will likely defeat the Yoruba candidate will be in the South East.

I don't know about the PDP, but in the APC, if Igbos can't fight for the ticket, then they should forget it. No matter the blackmail or wailings from them, the Presidential candidate won't be microzone to their Political Region.

4 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by JaroMan: 12:25pm On Dec 11, 2021
Sonyboom765:

Why call him fool? With this your reaction, I will never take you serious and no good man will.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by mrvitalis(m): 12:26pm On Dec 11, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
grin

Which other are you talking about? We have Southern and Northern Nigeria.

I'm speaking for APC alone, Power will be zone to the South.

I do not know about other Political Party like APGA, PDP ect.
Why should power be zoned to the south ? Why is the south afraid to contest against the north

8 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Nobody: 12:26pm On Dec 11, 2021
mrvitalis:

Why should power be zoned to the south ? Why is the south afraid to contest against the north
I'm speaking for the APC alone.

Under the APC, is been rotated between the North and South.

6 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by JaroMan: 12:30pm On Dec 11, 2021
Esseite:
Anyone part and parcel of this Govt, directly and indirectly is bad product.. some people dont even realize how bad things have gotten.

SE, NE, NC are viable options.

The stumbling block to a SE president are NE and NC. Because based on my understanding of politics, these zones have strong points. But you SW, NW and SS, nobody is even looking at them.
Forget all these noise.
Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by hollah123: 12:30pm On Dec 11, 2021
mrvitalis:

has there ever been micro zoning in d history of democracy in Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by hollah123: 12:35pm On Dec 11, 2021
mrvitalis:

zoning means it's the turn of a particular section of the country,north west have had it twice with buhari n yaradua n it wasn't micro zoned but they worked for it n now it's d turn of the south n u want them to micro zone it to u,is that possible?

In 1999,it was a southern thing n all southerners came out to contest, ekweme contested against obj n he was defeated then same way olu falae thrashed ogbonnaya onu.

So the same way all southerners slug it out in 1999 is the same way we will still slug it out in 2023.

10 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:37pm On Dec 11, 2021
Afenifere reminds me of good old Nigeria!

A country united, that supports and encouraged each other in respective of where you are from!

We looked for challenges, solve it together, shared the glory!

Thank you for standing out! Thank you for not joining the crowd!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by mrvitalis(m): 12:40pm On Dec 11, 2021
hollah123:

Zoning ? How many zones do we have in Nigeria

Oga mind you ogbonnaya onu was forced to step down because it was Yoruba turn he even went to court so relax

8 Likes

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by mrvitalis(m): 12:40pm On Dec 11, 2021
hollah123:
has there ever been micro zoning in d history of democracy in Nigeria?
What is zoning oga ? Is there anything like northern zone and southern zone ?
Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by hollah123: 12:41pm On Dec 11, 2021
JaroMan:

The stumbling block to a SE president are NE and NC. Because based on my understanding of politics, these zones have strong points. But you SW, NW and SS, nobody is even looking at them.
Forget all these noise.
so u are saying a northerner will pick an igbo b4 Yoruba?
On what basis?
Is it d love u have always shown them by calling them derogatory names?
Or believing fulani is responsible for all your problems?
Or how u are spending big money to discredit their sons government?

Just tell us what will make a northerner pick an igbo b4 yoruba?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: We Insist On Southern President, Not Yoruba President –afenifere by mrvitalis(m): 12:41pm On Dec 11, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
I'm speaking for the APC alone.

Under the APC, is been rotated between the North and South.
Who are you to speak for APC ? LMAO nairaland giving worthless people imaginary worth

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos: Federal Secretariat Prepares For Handover / Reno Omokri: Christianity Is Endangered Under The APC / Move Emefiele To EFCC Custody, Falana Tells DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.