Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,612 members, 7,813,007 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO (964 Views)

Jonathan Explodes " I Stole No Money" / Buhari's Original Certificate Submitted To Army Board - Gen. Akinrinade / Wahab Dosumu Is Dead (Ex-NADECO Chieftain) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by aloyemeka1: 11:03pm On Jun 13, 2011
[size=14pt]AKINRINADE EXPLODES: I foresee return of NADECO[/size]
   Ayodele Ojo and Sina Fadare 12/06/2011 03:51:00

Lt. General Ipoola Alani Akinrinade (Rtd) played a crucial role in the enthronement of democracy in Nigeria, especially in the struggle for the revalidation of the June 12, 1993 presidential election. Akinrinade (CFR) rose through the ranks in the military serving as Chief of Army Staff (COAS) and Chief of Defence Staff. After his retirement from the military in 1981, Akinrinade served as Minister of Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Development; Minister of Industries and Minister of Transport between 1985 and 1989. He was an active member of the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) that fought the military to a standstill. In this interview with Ayodele Ojo and Sina Fadare, the 71-year-old retired General speaks on the June 12 struggle, his losses, corruption in the polity, among other salient issues.

[img]http://nationalmirroronline.net/thumbnail.php?file=/Akinrinde_417109460.jpg&size=article_large[/img]

Excerpts:

The pattern of sharing of political offices at the highest levels has seen the Yoruba being relegated to the background. Are you comfortable with how the South- West was schemed out of the political equation of the country?
For me nobody is fairly treated; the Igbo, the Ijaw and the Fulani. By fair treatment, I mean our institutions are not strong and working as expected to serve the people equally. I do not believe that the system serves anybody based on this premise.

If you are talking on this issue of zoning here and there, I would ask what the people of the North have gained from the long years of governance other than the production of the Almajiris virtually on major cities.

This is now hunting them and the rest of us. That is why we are witnessing the like of the Boko Haram social unrest and religious crises over there; because the social institutions have collapsed and nothing seems working. If you now narrow it down to the South-West, we have our own share of it; that is why ’I’m saying that all have been marginalised: poor roads network, collapse of social institutions, and poor infrastructural development.

What about the current marginalisation from the power equation in the ruling party?
If we have been a nation, all these complaints would not arise. Nigeria is just a country and we are not endeavouring to become a nation. We are just mouthing and trumpeting it but do not do anything about it to become a nation in terms of action and deeds. If you ask those who are in power, they will always talk about restructuring, rebuilding, and all sorts of adjectives, but they are not sincere about it.

A country that is working towards nation-building must be sincere about it. All these injustices we are talking about would not have arisen if we have been a nation. What has the South-West, for example, gained during the period of eight years that Olusegun Obasanjo was there as the President, apart from kangaroo election, politics of do-or-die and collapse of social infrastructure and amenities? When there was political logjam, owing to the June 12 crisis, the so-called power brokers said that ‘let us give it to a Yoruba man’ and it was given to Obasanjo. At the end of Obasanjo’s tenure, I think the region was worse off. Let us see in the next four years what those who were given the opportunity at the corridors of power get which others did not get.

You will realise that zoning of public offices cannot lead us to anywhere. The best man should get the position, not the best favoured or disfavoured man. The earlier we continue to see things in this perspective; the better it would be for us and for our future. When Awolowo had the opportunity in the old Western Region, most of the people he used were from the Ijebu; nobody complained because they gave their best and the fortune of the region was turned around. The people got free education, health facilities and good roads across all the nooks and crannies of the region. Today, the heritages are still with us, nobody queried whether those people who did it are the Egba, the Ijesha or the Ekiti, and it was a success story for all. That is why we can point to all those monumental institutions that came from a united force for the development of the people.

Are you saying there is no need for zoning?
I don’t think so. Where you come from should not limit you from becoming anything, especially when you are good. I think it is a pedestrian way of thinking on how to develop a place. If there is need for experts in certain field and all who can do the job effectively are from the North, do we say that because they are all from the North, let somebody from the South who knows next to nothing join them because of quota system or zoning arrangement? That is backward thinking. The best should always be patronized, no matter where they come from. At the end, it is the general development of the system that matters to all. If we are a nation, such situation will not arise.

How can we become a nation?
It is very difficult to answer to the nomenclature of a nation in the situation we find ourselves. A nation has some characteristics and parameters like language, geographical congruity and as a matter of necessity, must have tradition, cultural affinity and societal norms and values that all of them understand. Nigeria is a conglomerate of nations. The Yoruba is a complete nation and could be a country anywhere in the world. I think we are larger than 42 countries in the United Nations. So if you want this nation to grow like other countries, we have to sit down and dialogue among ourselves about what they can give to the centre. What can a Berom man bring to the pot, what can Ibiobio man bring to the pot, likewise a man from Tiv and Yoruba? So if you want to build a nation, the strength will inherently come from the smaller units of a nation that make it.

Are you saying that we should go back to the era of strong regions and weak centre shortly before independence?
That is what happened all over the world where people make progress-USA, China and USSR, which breaks into smaller units. Nigeria can borrow a leaf from this. Even in America which is a bad example, there are people who have their languages and cultures preserved, but just cued into the larger vision and all work for the same goal.

June 12 is 18 years today; is there any lesson to be learnt from the historic poll?
I think apart from anything else, it was a tortuous time for Nigeria, because it was the culmination of the disillusionment of the people against military rule and all forms of dictatorial tendencies. Therefore, we are all looking for a form of government which we would all be part of. That was the hallmark of June 12. Even it was all agreed that Jega’s April elections were not as good as June 12. June 12 signified the determination of a people. Irrespective of their background, religion, cultural affinity, Nigerians spoke in one voice on what they need and who should be their leader. Death did not allow Chief MKO Abiola to prove whether we were right or not in the action we took on the crisis, but the struggle stands on its own. It is the catalyst that enabled us get to where we are today.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/interviews/14023.html
Re: Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by aloyemeka1: 11:09pm On Jun 13, 2011
What has the South-West, for example, gained during the period of eight years that Olusegun Obasanjo was there as the President, apart from kangaroo election, politics of do-or-die and collapse of social infrastructure and amenities? When there was political logjam, owing to the June 12 crisis, the so-called power brokers said that ‘let us give it to a Yoruba man’ and it was given to Obasanjo. At the end of Obasanjo’s tenure, I think the region was worse off. Let us see in the next four years what those who were given the opportunity at the corridors of power get which others did not get.

When mature men speak, NL mouthers should stay quiet and listen. Akinrinade is an example of a man who is well experienced.
Re: Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by adejoro76: 11:22pm On Jun 13, 2011
''In essence, whenever some greedy politicians from the South West go empty handed after the "Abuja Bazaar" that follows every genral election , they will form one atavistic organization with amorphous goals, then go ahead to brand that either NADECO or OCEDAN and with the help of misguided "areas boys", try to terrorize the whole country to no end? What do you call this one? Agbero politics?

If Obasanjo was no good to the SW, why didn't we hear of NADECO all the time he was running this country aground? If you fought to maintain a state with many nationalities, you must understand that once in a while you may come first from behind in the sharing of offices since there are many groups to satisfy.

The south west produced the president of this country for eight solid years with ministers in top positions. The idea that the SW got nothing from Obasanjo is totally outrageous. Tell that to the Tinubus, the Otedolas, The Adenugas, the Jimohs, Aborishades and co, they will tell you how Obasanjos help led them to certain domination of certain areas of the economy.

The South west produced the speaker that just left and if the SW is no where to be found in the center today, it is because clannish politics baptized as progressive politics has led the region to the opposition where they have always been since the 60s anyway. Lets be blunt here; There are some groups within Nigeria that haven't had that opportunity to command the engine of state all through Nigerias existence. The country does not belong to one group or two groups.

It is this kind of NADECO "area boy politics" that invites politicians and commentators alike from other parts of the country to brand people like Akinrinade "rascals". You don't go burning tires all over Lagos whenever you lose out and call that inventive politics. Some of these politicians muting this idea are crooks. They are now going to recruit jobless youths to face Nigerias mad 'mopol' while all the billions they have stashed away while they were in power awaits their great-great-grand children. I guess they expect other parts of the country to join up as usual. It would have been funny if it was not downright parthetic.'', Felix
Re: Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by EkoIle1: 11:29pm On Jun 13, 2011
aloy/emeka:

When mature men speak, NL mouthers should stay quiet and listen. Akinrinade is an example of a man who is well experienced.

Talking about yourself?
Re: Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by aloyemeka1: 11:40pm On Jun 13, 2011
adejoro74.:

''In essence, whenever some greedy politicians from the South West go empty handed after the "Abuja Bazaar" that follows every genral election , they will form one atavistic organization with amorphous goals, then go ahead to brand that either NADECO or OCEDAN and with the help of misguided "areas boys", try to terrorize the whole country to no end? What do you call this one? Agbero politics?

If Obasanjo was no good to the SW, why didn't we hear of NADECO all the time he was running this country aground? If you fought to maintain a state with many nationalities, you must understand that once in a while you may come first from behind in the sharing of offices since there are many groups to satisfy.

The south west produced the president of this country for eight solid years with ministers in top positions. The idea that the SW got nothing from Obasanjo is totally outrageous. Tell that to the Tinubus, the Otedolas, The Adenugas, the Jimohs, Aborishades and co, they will tell you how Obasanjos help led them to certain domination of certain areas of the economy.

The South west produced the speaker that just left and if the SW is no where to be found in the center today, it is because clannish politics baptized as progressive politics has led the region to the opposition where they have always been since the 60s anyway. Lets be blunt here; There are some groups within Nigeria that haven't had that opportunity to command the engine of state all through Nigerias existence. The country does not belong to one group or two groups.

It is this kind of NADECO "area boy politics" that invites politicians and commentators alike from other parts of the country to brand people like Akinrinade "rascals". You don't go burning tires all over Lagos whenever you lose out and call that inventive politics. Some of these politicians muting this idea are crooks. They are now going to recruit jobless youths to face Nigerias mad 'mopol' while all the billions they have stashed away while they were in power awaits their great-great-grand children. I guess they expect other parts of the country to join up as usual. It would have been funny if it was not downright parthetic.'',  Felix

Where did you copy this from?. Are you Felix?
Re: Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by aloyemeka1: 12:23am On Jun 14, 2011
Where is Adejoro?. Post the source of your quotation please.
Re: Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by adejoro76: 12:32am On Jun 14, 2011
Na by force? I want you to genuflect for me first.
Re: Akinrinade Explodes: I Foresee Return Of NADECO by aloyemeka1: 3:08am On Jun 14, 2011
I dey craze?

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Banking: Christain Leaders Are Not Being Sincere : Pastor Tunde Bakare / Nigeria Records Economic Growth, As Gdp Hits $247 Billion / Ogunlewe Accuses Bode George Of Fraud, He’s A Traitor —george

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.