Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,074 members, 7,957,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:34 AM

Number Portability On The Way - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Number Portability On The Way (760 Views)

Mobile Number Portability (MNP), What You Need To Know. / NCC Begins Number Portability / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Number Portability On The Way by luluosas(m): 9:59am On Jun 14, 2011
NCC to improve network migration
On June 13, 2011 · In News

By Prince Osuagwu
LAGOS — The Nigerian Communications Commission, Monday, hinted it has pushed the processes that will lead to a well-managed number portability regime to advanced stage and would make major announcements on the development soon.

Number portability is a process that will allow mobile phone users to migrate from one network to another with the same number.

A reliable NCC source told Vanguard that the commission’s action on the development was in keeping with the words of the Executive Vice Chairman, Dr. Eugene Juwah, who, in his first major meeting with the media in January, had promised to embark on the project once the SIM Card Registration process had taken off successfully.

According to Juwah, it will make better sense to port numbers already registered.

The source said that with SIM Card Registration well underway in different parts of the country, the attention of Nigerian Communications Commission, NCC, would in the next few weeks, shift to Number Portability.

Technically, the porting process begins and ends when a subscriber initiates a request to a donor network for approval to transfer a number from their network to the recipient’s network, the subsequent receipt of an answer from the Donor Network, and the act of informing all Operators that a number has been successfully transferred and is now active on the Recipient Network.

Apart from giving the subscribers the freedom to port number from network to network with full ability to move to the operator whose product quality and pricing are most suited to them, it is also expected that Number Portability will inject more competition which should drive down prices and increase value, and also impact on the quality of service (QoS) which the Commission said it was deploying various measures to address at the moment.

The Initial Consultation Paper on the Implementation of Mobile Number Portability was published on the Commission’s website in February 2009, and industry stakeholders and the general public raised concerns over getting the process right.

However, NCC said that the observations and concerns of the network operators, other stakeholders and the general public have been addressed and accommodated and knowing the importance of the exercise, the overwhelming expectations of subscribers, the regulator, was taking all necessary steps that will ensure that everybody are on the same page on the issue.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/ncc-to-improve-network-migration/
Re: Number Portability On The Way by luluosas(m): 10:05am On Jun 14, 2011
This will put the unseriuos and expensive network providers on their toes for fear of loosing customers, while the migrated customer maintains his old number on a different network. I see competition springing up tensely. What do you think?
Re: Number Portability On The Way by dragnet: 11:02am On Jun 14, 2011
I think I'm hungry. . . . cheesy
Re: Number Portability On The Way by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:17pm On Jun 14, 2011
u can trust MTN to try its best to sabotage this thing.

una want make half of mtn subscribers run comot?
Re: Number Portability On The Way by luluosas(m): 1:04pm On Jun 15, 2011
@4llerbuntu u can trust MTN to try its best to sabotage this thing.

Let them try it. They will then know that, Nigerians cannot be taken for ride every time. Watch and see!
Re: Number Portability On The Way by jmaine: 1:53pm On Jun 15, 2011
4llerbuntu:

u can trust MTN to try its best to sabotage this thing.

My thoughts exactly but those who stand to gain like Etisalat and co would ensure the wheels of number portability keeps rolling . .MTN go lose one person in me if it dares happen grin grin
Re: Number Portability On The Way by Dclique(m): 4:33pm On Jun 15, 2011
i think its a good idea, but alot of risks are involved.
Re: Number Portability On The Way by aieromon(m): 5:39pm On Jun 15, 2011
MTN,over to you!
Re: Number Portability On The Way by nd1: 11:02am On Jun 17, 2011
i am in full support for this as my provider has being taking Nigerian for-granted. once this take place they should know that they have lost 1 customer
Re: Number Portability On The Way by otunbasmtp(m): 11:50pm On Jun 17, 2011
time for etiselat to think well so people will run to deme

(1) (Reply)

Engineer Pls Help / Pin With Simbian Phones / Missing Apps World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.