Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

NCC Begins Number Portability - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / NCC Begins Number Portability (14526 Views)

Mobile Number Portability (MNP), What You Need To Know. / NCC To Launch Mobile Number Portability On March 26 / Nigeria: Mobile Number Portability Begins June 2012 – Ncc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NCC Begins Number Portability by teeceexx: 12:31am On Mar 26, 2013
Amid poor service quality that has continued to bedevil the telecoms sector, the federal government has backed the initiative of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to commence number porting across the GSM networks today.

The Minister of Communications Technology, Mrs. Omobola Johnson, told THISDAY that Mobile Number Portability (MNP) would give subscribers the choice to select networks that offer best telecoms services, insisting that Nigerians have to embrace it, since it was the best option in a bad situation.

“We are going ahead with MNP because it will increase competition in the industry. It, however, does not stop the service quality issue because we have a nationwide service quality issue, which cuts across networks. We are doing a lot of other things to improve telecoms service, by creating an enabling environment for network operators to rollout infrastructure, and reduce bottlenecks on right of ways, wilful destruction of telecoms facilities, among other measures,” Johnson said.

Confirming that it would commence the exercise today, the Head, Public Relations at NCC, Mr. Reuben Muoka, told THISDAY that all was set for full implementation of MNP across GSM networks.

According to him, “all the GSM operators are ready and NCC is set to rollout the service, which is long overdue.”

He, however, said operators of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA), like Visafone, Capcom, and Intercellular, would not be part of the exercise at the moment, because of the different technology that they operate.

He said NCC would begin with GSM operators, and later include the CDMA operators, if that of the GSM operators became successful.

The Corporate Services Executive at MTN, Mr. Wale Goodluck, told THISDAY that MTN was fully ready for MNP, owing to its nationwide modernisation exercise, which he said, had improved service quality to some extent, even though the project is ongoing.

He was optimistic that MTN, just like other GSM operators would not experience any hitch in the takeoff of the exercise.

Chief Executive Officer of Etisalat, Mr. Steve Evans, had initially stated that Etisalat, which is the latest entrant into the GSM market space, was ready for the rollout of MNP in Nigeria.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ncc-gets-fg-s-nod-begins-number-portability-today/143116/

m.allafrica.com/stories/201303250695.html/

4 Likes

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by modextus(m): 12:50am On Mar 26, 2013
moving to airtel kia kia grin

3 Likes

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Everfrank(m): 1:26am On Mar 26, 2013
A good one by NCC.
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Gboliwe: 3:59am On Mar 26, 2013
Etisalat for me.
How do we start moving, I can no longer wait. grin
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by OurYansh: 4:40am On Mar 26, 2013
Gboliwe: Etisalat for me.
How do we start moving, I can no longer wait. grin

My Love, I'm also moving to Etilsalat. Wherever you go I'll follow.

kiss kiss

cool cool

4 Likes

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by drlaykay(m): 5:01am On Mar 26, 2013
At last!
Got the fresh air.
I hope the charge for porting won't be high like u wanna buy a new sim card
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Tolexander: 5:36am On Mar 26, 2013
Wao!
God don catch those babes wey dey give me an mtn user their glo or etisalat number for the sake of making me to call them with the whole of my pocket money. Na just to port from my mtn to the etisalat and glo wey those babes dey use anytime i wan call dem be dat. Shikena!

And anytime i wan browse free with cheat make i port to airtel.

4 Likes

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by AnodaIT(m): 7:33am On Mar 26, 2013
Getting ready.
Finally , lets see how it works
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Nobody: 7:37am On Mar 26, 2013
Kool,
Let's get the party started.
Glo's 750kb/s is all I'm after!
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 26, 2013
Good one, I'll use a new network each week depending on available promo grin
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by sEyi6: 9:17am On Mar 26, 2013
Glo or Etisalat, here I come smiley

Fear of loosing contacts kept me from dumping my over 6years MTN sim.

I foresee the fall of MTN at the same time a great improvement in their services.

4 Likes

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by fkaz(m): 9:23am On Mar 26, 2013
Nice move from FG
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Clerverly: 9:32am On Mar 26, 2013
jammyng: Good one, I'll use a new network each week depending on available promo grin

It does not work like that, you can only port-out once in three months. Beside you would be required to buy a new line of the port-in network.

1 Like

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Nobody: 9:37am On Mar 26, 2013
ok!
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by yuzedo: 9:38am On Mar 26, 2013
I want to port to Nitel... Please what is the code? undecided
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by naptu2: 9:41am On Mar 26, 2013
yuzedo: I want to port to Nitel... Please what is the code? undecided

Nought-nine-nought.

3 Likes

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Lanre6: 9:41am On Mar 26, 2013
Abeg dont abuse me I no go school ooo wetin be port no? How the thing de work? Thanks for good response.
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 26, 2013
e don happen for mtn. . . .see the way everybody dey arrange to portout.

1 Like

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by dridowu: 9:45am On Mar 26, 2013
Frm emptyhen to Eti baba.
Etisalat prep well oooo because i go soon land gidigba
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 26, 2013
MTN should get ready to go down.
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by kpozite(m): 9:49am On Mar 26, 2013
what I want to hear is reduction in call and data tariffs. I 'll rejoice when that happens. Wherever you port to it's still the same but don't worry you can still port back.

1 Like

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 26, 2013
Clearly Ernest Ndukwe was just fooling around all through his stay. At this rate of competition inducing reforms, soon we may not need VPN to unlimited download.
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by AK481(m): 9:51am On Mar 26, 2013
Mtn should fight tooth and nail to stop this from materialising,even if it mean to create a special budget to bribe everybody bribable in ncc.
Think am na,mtn go lose.

1 Like

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by nairaman66(m): 9:51am On Mar 26, 2013
Have the NCC considered the effects of this on Data Bundle Subscriber base? How can you switch to another operator who does not operate on the 3G or 4G LTE template? Or am I missing something??
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Nobody: 9:51am On Mar 26, 2013
But i still love mtn sha.
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by skidos4u(m): 9:52am On Mar 26, 2013
na beter tin be dat o. if person mov 2 anoda ntwk u fit njoy d promo n oder benefit 4 der? but na wu go control dos ppl we go abuse dis previlage na?

1 Like

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by dederocs(m): 9:53am On Mar 26, 2013
NCC-STOP MTN FROM SIGNING UP NEW SUBSCRIBERS,THIER NETWORKS ARE CONGESTED...MTN HAVE MADE A LOT OF MONEY,BROWSING SHOULD BE FREE AT NIGHT FOR ALL NETWORKS NOW.ITS TIME TO GIVE NIGERIANS BACK-CALL ARE STILL TOO EXPENSIVE.
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by kayword(m): 9:54am On Mar 26, 2013
Pls anybdy wt info on dis porting in n out?

1 Like

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by KINGwax(m): 9:54am On Mar 26, 2013
Y'all jes hate on mtn for nothing. Ironically, it's the best network we got, no matter how odd dt sounds.
Browsing with it sucks, we knw, but the wider coverage gives it more edge.
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by Tamax: 9:54am On Mar 26, 2013
Good job NCC..... Dancing kurukere for MTN
Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by naptu2: 9:54am On Mar 26, 2013
blink182: Clearly Ernest Ndukwe was just fooling around all through his stay. At this rate of competition inducing reforms, soon we may not need VPN to unlimited download.

The policy was actually initiated during Ernest Ndukwe's tenure, but it's been going through the usual policy process (including lobbying and interference from politicians).

3 Likes

Re: NCC Begins Number Portability by bigx(m): 9:56am On Mar 26, 2013
Let the Battle Begin!!! grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is The Airtel Whatsapp Bundle Working Out For You? / MTN Launches 200% Recharge Bonus / 30 million Nigerians have never seen a mobile phone – ATCON President, Teniola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.