Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:36 PM

World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) (1584 Views)

World's Most Powerful Telescope Reveals Incredible New View Of Jupiter (Pics) / SpaceX Flew Over Nigeria On Way To Space Station – Hadi Sirika (Video) / Elon Musk Launches Car To Space on World's Most Powerful Rocket(Photos/Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Explorers(m): 8:49pm On Dec 25, 2021
NASA's $10billion James Webb Space Telescope has lifted off from European Space Agency's base in French Guiana.

At 7.20am ET (12.20PM GMT) the world's most powerful space telescope, equipped with an Ariane 5 rocket, took off from the European Spaceport facility in French Guiana in magnificent form before blasting skywards over the Atlantic Ocean.

The Webb telescope will then take a month to coast to its destination in solar orbit roughly one million miles from Earth about four times farther away than the moon.

Pictures from the European Space Agency's Spaceport facility in French Guiana show the Webb telescope module atop an Ariane 5 rocket blasting off from Earth at 7.20AM ET (12.00PM GMT) on its million-mile journey into solar orbit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10344019/Lift-Nasas-10billion-James-Webb-Space-Telescope-launches-French-Guiana.html
Lalasticlala Mynd44

2 Likes

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Explorers(m): 8:50pm On Dec 25, 2021
After a perfect flight out of the Earth's atmosphere and into space, the James Webb telescope module detached from the body of the Ariane 5 rocket that had blasted it skywards, leading to cheers from nervous scientists at mission control in Kourou, French Guiana.

Pictured: The NASA live stream showing the trajectory of Webb, atop Ariane 5 rocket as it continues on its path into space.

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Explorers(m): 8:52pm On Dec 25, 2021
Pictured: Teams mission control in Kourou, French Guiana

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Oksman(m): 8:53pm On Dec 25, 2021
Explorers:
At 7.20am ET (12.20PM GMT) the world's most powerful space telescope, equipped with an Ariane 5 rocket, took off from the European Spaceport facility in French Guiana in magnificent form before blasting skywards over the Atlantic Ocean.

The Webb telescope will then take a month to coast to its destination in solar orbit roughly one million miles from Earth about four times farther away than the moon.

Pictures from the European Space Agency's Spaceport facility in French Guiana show the Webb telescope module atop an Ariane 5 rocket blasting off from Earth at 7.20AM ET (12.00PM GMT) on its million-mile journey into solar orbit.

Man and his quest for knowledge to understand the mysteries of our universe. May God give us leaders that would think beyond electoral reform.

9 Likes

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Explorers(m): 8:54pm On Dec 25, 2021
Ahead of launch, it was loaded into the fairing of an Ariane 5 rocket, and moved on to the launch pad at the Europeans Space Agency facility in French Guiana.

Webb will travel to an orbit about one million miles away from Earth and undergo six months of commissioning in space including unfolding its mirrors and sunshield, cooling down, aligning and calibrating.

'Astronomers worldwide will then be able to conduct scientific observations to broaden our understanding of the universe,' NASA says.

The telescope will observe the Universe in the near infrared and mid-infrared at wavelengths longer than visible light.

To do so, it carries a suite of state-of-the-art cameras, spectrographs and coronagraphs.

Webb will take pictures ten times sharper than Hubble, but hundreds of times deeper.

Hubble is about 340 miles above the Earth surface, whereas Webb will be over a million miles away.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by DenreleDave(m): 8:56pm On Dec 25, 2021
cheesy cheesy
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Righteousness2(m): 8:57pm On Dec 25, 2021
What a Beautiful scene in the sky!

Very very soon! One of these days the KING of kings will light up the skies with HIS glorious appearance and HIS angels.

It is gonna be a Joyous and Gloomy day.
A day of Joy for all who are Raptured and a day of Gloom, Confusion and Doom for all left behind.

JESUS is Coming Quickly folks!
Don't be left! It is gonna be Premium Confusion Worldwide.

Come to JESUS Christ today,
Repent From your Sins and Surrender to HIM. Thereis no more time!

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by A001: 9:07pm On Dec 25, 2021
NASA's Webb Telescope Launches to See First Galaxies, Distant Worlds
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasas-webb-telescope-launches-to-see-first-galaxies-distant-worlds

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by alphaNomega: 9:07pm On Dec 25, 2021
I'm so excited to see the data this telescope will bring us.

Projects like these gives me hope in humanity. We still have intelligent ones among us.

1 Like

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 25, 2021
To think that some people will call all these cool stuff haram still baffles me

2 Likes

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Kayberg: 9:42pm On Dec 25, 2021
Osiris13:

But nuclear warhead isn't.

1 Like

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by starbuck(f): 9:45pm On Dec 25, 2021
I hope it finally detects if there are outer worlds aside earth that's inhabitated with humans

1 Like

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by AFULA(m): 10:13pm On Dec 25, 2021
Okay
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by iamyemiakins(m): 10:19pm On Dec 25, 2021
One of the scientific equipments I hope to buy someday is a telescope, it has been on my mind since childhood. I'm so eager to get a clearer view of the stars, moon and other planetary bodies.

4 Likes

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by luminouz(m): 10:25pm On Dec 25, 2021
Did I read 10 billion dollars? shocked

That's one expensive telescope
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by A001: 10:35pm On Dec 25, 2021
luminouz:
Did I read 10 billion dollars? shocked

That's one expensive telescope

Yes, and it took over three decades to build.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/why-nasas-james-webb-space-telescope-matters-so-much-20211203/

1 Like

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by A001: 10:44pm On Dec 25, 2021
Meet the Launch Team of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope.

The team worked together for the success of JWST at the Jupiter Mission Control Centre.

Congratulations to the great team for accomplishing this milestone.

Their efforts have paved a way for JWST to commence the journey into the deep space.

We are waiting for the outcome of the mission in the next six months.

✍� Charles Nwali

�©️ESA

#JamesWebbSpaceTelescope #UnfoldTheUniverse #JWST #deepspace

2 Likes

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by A001: 10:51pm On Dec 25, 2021
cool

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Blakjewelry(m): 11:06pm On Dec 25, 2021
Wow finally, can't wait for the data to start pouring in.
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by luminouz(m): 11:08pm On Dec 25, 2021
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Jokerman(m): 7:20am On Dec 26, 2021
Engineering has helped this perverse world a lot, and it keeps doing better...
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by michlins(m): 8:20am On Dec 26, 2021
I was surprised no one was talking about this yesterday on Nairaland. I watched the launch on YouTube and it was amazing feat.

What's more critical is the deployment of the telescope. A single error and all the efforts turns to waste.

$10bn, twenty five years,

1 Like

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by michlins(m): 8:24am On Dec 26, 2021
Righteousness2:
What a Beautiful scene in the sky!

Very very soon! One of these days the KING of kings will light up the skies with HIS glorious appearance and HIS angels.

It is gonna be a Joyous and Gloomy day.
A day of Joy for all who are Raptured and a day of Gloom, Confusion and Doom for all left behind.

JESUS is Coming Quickly folks!
Don't be left! It is gonna be Premium Confusion Worldwide.

Come to JESUS Christ today,
Repent From your Sins and Surrender to HIM. Thereis no more time!

can you simply shut up and leave this discussion for actual human beings

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by michlins(m): 8:28am On Dec 26, 2021
Osiris13:
take your islamophobia elsewhere. Many countries invested heavily into making this happen.

Christianity murdered more scientists than any religion. They called scientists witches. The father of astronomy was killed by the Pope for saying that the sun is the center of the universe and not the church account of earth.

modified

Islam has contributed more than Christianity towards the advancement of science. Due to their abolition and constant need to know the exact position of heavenly bodies, they built tools which are the foundation of modern telescope. It was during this time that Christian crusaders were having field day murdering countries in current day Americas
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by afribookorg(m): 10:45am On Dec 26, 2021
NASA, abeg do fast discover another galaxy. Make we leave this one for head slammers
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Blakjewelry(m): 3:08pm On Dec 26, 2021
michlins:
I was surprised no one was talking about this yesterday on Nairaland. I watched the launch on YouTube and it was amazing feat.

What's more critical is the deployment of the telescope. A single error and all the efforts turns to waste.

$10bn, twenty five years,
We tried keeping the science section alive for some time but it couldn't work. People prefer celebrity gossips, sexuality etc. Many Nigerians can't discuss anything intellectual, we equipped with half a brain.

2 Likes

Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Blakjewelry(m): 3:49pm On Dec 26, 2021
michlins:
take your islamophobia elsewhere. Many countries invested heavily into making this happen.

Christianity murdered more scientists than any religion. They called scientists witches. The father of astronomy was killed by the Pope for saying that the sun is the center of the universe and not the church account of earth.

modified

Islam has contributed more than Christianity towards the advancement of science. Due to their abolition and constant need to know the exact position of heavenly bodies, they built tools which are the foundation of modern telescope. It was during this time that Christian crusaders were having field day murdering countries in current day Americas
Una don carry una religious war come here abi?
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by michlins(m): 3:54pm On Dec 26, 2021
Blakjewelry:

Una don carry una religious war come here abi?
oga I don't consider myself a religious person. That thing makes zero sense and can't stand scrutiny.

What I pointed out however is the hypocrisy of christians who think they're better than moslems. Meanwhile they all worship gods that will kill children in cold blood if he's angry
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Blakjewelry(m): 4:51pm On Dec 26, 2021
michlins:
oga I don't consider myself a religious person. That thing makes zero sense and can't stand scrutiny.

What I pointed out however is the hypocrisy of christians who think they're better than moslems. Meanwhile they all worship gods that will kill children in cold blood if he's angry
I have to speak before this beautiful thread will turn into a war zone
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by BluntCrazeMan: 6:13pm On Dec 26, 2021
CAN THEY ZOOM INTO THE TIME BEFORE THE BIG BANG??
We need to know how the universe was before the Big Bang.
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by ATEAMS: 7:56pm On Dec 26, 2021
Waaawu
Re: World's Most Powerful Telescope, NASA James Webb Launched To Space(Pics) by Enceladus(m): 8:22pm On Dec 26, 2021
I remember reading about the development back in early university days cool Omo. Glad Congress didn't scrap it.

I can't shake the feeling it will show us something fundamentally different from our understanding of the big bang. Fingers crossed, let the damn sun shield deploy first. grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Engineer Launches Rocket In Kaduna / This Bomb-proof Wrist Watch Can Withstand Any Type Of Explosion / New! Gmail Motion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.