Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,850 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent (17923 Views)

May Day: NLC Rejects 35% Pay Rise, Insists On Living Wage / Yemi Osinbajo Seeks Pay Rise For Ex-Presidents, VPs / Fuel Subsidy: FG Begins 40% Pay Rise For Workers April Ending (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by dre11(m): 9:42am On Dec 27, 2021
From Molly Kilete, Abuja

When President Muhammadu Buhari announced the approval of 20 per cent salary increase for officers and men of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) on December 15, there was jubilation and mixed reactions not just among the officers, but also the general public.

The president had through the Minister of Police Affairs, Maigari Dingyadi, told state house correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting that the review exercise which would to take effect from January 2022, was in response to the demands made by EndSARS protesters in 2020, primarily on the improvement of welfare for police officers.

He said that the take-home pay would be enhanced through the duty tour allowance to six per cent of their new take-home pay and an approval of N1.12 billion for payment of outstanding uninsured benefits for the period of 2013 to 2020.

However, while many saw the increase as a morale booster for the police to effectively carry out their duties, others feel the salary rise would not make any difference in the rot that has engulfed the force.

For the records, the last time the police had a review of salary was during the regime of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, and since then nothing has been done as far as salary is concerned.

Before the increase by President Buhari, a police constable earned about N40,000, meaning that with the increase, a police Constable would be going home with about N50,000.

But while the increment should have been a thing of joy to the rank and file, many are not happy since the increase was not included in the 2022 budget and, therefore, see it as a scam.

Some police officers who spoke to Sunday Sun have mixed feelings about the increase, saying that the problem in the force was more than salary increase.

Some of the officers who do not want their names mentioned in print for fear of being victimized said that though the salary increase was good, there were more pressing needs in the police especially in the areas of logistics, welfare, and others.

More than the salary increase, many police officers said that they would prefer that government provide them with good healthcare facility, scholarship for their children, good and affordable accommodation, transport system, among other goodies to make their job comfortable.

An Inspector of police who spoke to Sunday Sun said: “I heard the president has increased our salary by 20 per cent. Of what use is the increase when it is not included in the 2022 budget? I don’t want to believe in this increase of a thing because if you take a very good look at it, it is not different with our old salary.

“They said they are increasing salary and yet things in the country keep going from bad to worse. Food stuffs are very expensive to the extent that we can no longer afford three square meals for our families.

“Transport fares have skyrocketed, school fees are no go area not to talk of medicals even in our police hospitals.”

Another personnel, a sergeant, told Sunday Sun that “we know it is not good to collect bribe from people, but I tell you sometimes we do that because of pressing circumstances.

“Imagine you leaving home without giving your wife money to buy food for the family because you sincerely do not have any money and these are some of the things that push one to go into some kind of illegal acts and duties.”

On how they have been coping with poor salary structure in the service and how it affects their duties and relationship with EndSARS protest, another policeman who craved for anonymity said: “The #EndSARS protest was a real eye opener to us as policemen. The protest opened our eyes to see that the people can be very powerful if they come together to achieve a just cause.

“Though we did not like the killings of policemen during the protest, it was very clear to us as police personnel that the people were fighting for our good. They saw the rot, the cheating going on in the service and decided to help us, but unfortunately the whole thing went bad and they started to kill and the killings have not stopped till this moment.

“The lesson I learnt from the whole saga is that there is a limit you can push a person to the wall and you will see the other side of the person and the protest has taught me to be civil in my dealing with people no matter their status.”

For Inusa Kura, before the #EndSARS protest, most police officers lobby to be posted to the Southeast to work.

But since after the protest and the current killings of policemen and burning down of police stations in the zone, nobody wants to serve in that region again.

According him, “I will say the EndSARS protest has a good and bad effect on policemen especially because of the killings. Before now, a policeman would lobby his way to get posted to the Southeast region of the country because of what we make there, but since after the process, a policeman would call out to cancel his posting to the Southeast, including consulting his village oracle. All these came about as a result of the EndSARS protest”.

For a retired commissioner of police (names withheld): “It is not the salary per se that would determine the good conduct of police officers. They have to go back to the drawing board to see how they can think of a holistic welfare package for them. Talking about post retirement housing projects, scholarship scheme for their children, resuscitation of dry ration for patrol teams. A situation where policemen on legal patrol are made to fuel patrol vehicles is not accepted. Buy petrol for patrol vehicles, remove them from the road blocks so that they don’t start seeing all those hardship that they are facing. These are the only things that can stop the #ENDSARS protest.

“There is a tipping point for every human being to get fatigued. People are always smarter when their stress level is low, when they have rested, but by the time they pass that level, they become irritated, they become aggressive and any little thing would just trigger them. So those are the areas where I think the government should concentrate on.

“Salary is okay, but if you make a comparative study for salaries around sub-Saharan Africa, you will find out that Nigeria is the lowest. But those things can also be mitigated by putting in place policies that if they don’t adhere to it, they know they are going to lose out.

“For instance, scholarship for their children, or if they die, there would be scholarship for their children that they left behind. For instance, how many constables get married to highly educated women like journalists, lawyers, doctors, pharmacists, nurses and other professionals? How many. They always marry people at their own class, their own level because of their poor salary of N40,000 and it means that if anything happens to them, it becomes another morale danger. Their allowances would not come on time, all those are the issues. But once you put into place sanctions and make it clear that they would not be able to access these welfare packages if they go against the rule, they will sit up and stop their irresponsible act.

“So they must put in place those things that would act as a sanction against bad conduct. That is the only thing that can deter any man from violating such rules. For instance, if you know that your organization is paying the school fees of your children, why would you violate set down rules like bribe taking and getting dismissed from service. I tell you no sane man would do that if he truly loves his children.

“Another problem in the police force has to do with the orientation of the men. The orientation of the men is a major problem in the force. Salary is okay, but it does not holistically solve all the problems of the police.

“Again, you cannot be talking about community policing and still having barracks. The barracks are poorly maintained, they are highly unkempt. The police barracks concept is that of the colonial masters where they keep the men and mobilize them at short notices in case of crisis.

“But the times have changed. There is no where in the world where they have police barracks. They live with the people, their children attend the same school with the people, they go to the same shopping malls, that’s why that way they are forging on and building that trust and breaking the gap.

“Go and look at our police barracks, they are not habitable for any human being. So let’s see if there will be improvement with the salary increase.”

On his part, a former Inspector General of police, Solomon Arase, wants the government to take another look at the healthcare delivery system in the police especially for the rank and file and their dependants; scholarship for their children, good housing accommodation, among other packages are things that would end up dousing all these negative attitudes.

He said: “I believe that we should look beyond the salaries, we should look at other areas too. It is well for the police to do all those menial jobs for the political elite, but when the chips are down, nobody cares. Look at the way they kill policemen, behead them and do all manner of things to their dead bodies and nobody has been arrested for those gruesome acts.

“Scholarship for their children, good healthcare for the rank and file and their dependants if all these are in place and there are infractions , it means that the person automatically loses access to those facilities. I think these would serve as a good conduct. So good health care services for inspectors and rank and file, and review of the various police reforms from 1999 to date.”

Another policeman, who simply gave his name as Mohammed when asked about the 20 per cent salary increase, told Sunday Sun that he was not aware of it, but that he heard his colleagues talking about it and doubted if it was true or not.

The police sergeant, who tried to find out from this reporter if the story was true or one of those social media rumors, said: “I heard that the president increased our salary, but that it is not plenty, but I know it is one of those promises and tricks by politicians to confuse us because another election is coming.

“I say it is a truck because I also heard that they did not put the money inside next year’s budget and that is intentional. They purposely removed it from the budget of next year so that they will put it in 2023 and that is an election year to confuse us to go and risk our lives for them to occupy big, big offices.

“The truth is that my sister, whether they increase our salary or not, it will not change anything because as we speak you know how much they sell gas now?”

For Dahiru Danjuma, the hardship faced by him and his colleagues since the present administration came to power is unbelievable. Apart from the hardship, he said the number of policemen that have been killed since this administration came to power has never happened in the history of the police.

To him, the 20 per cent increase is nothing to write home about and should not be something to use to praise the achievements of the Buhari’s government.

He said: “When I heard that government increased our salary by 20 per cent, I laughed because if you look at it for those of us that our salary is less that N40,000, it means what they added is about N8,000. Is that something to be happy about? And another thing again is that we don’t even know if this their increase is for everybody because since the day that I heard it on television nobody has told us anything because they don’t have anything to tell us before they put themselves in trouble with policemen”.

Also a police inspector who does not want to be mentioned on print said: “I heard about the salary increase, but I don’t think it’s for everybody, maybe it is for inspectors and the rank and file. That is what I want to believe because after the announcement by our police minister, I have not heard anything again and that may be because they did not include it in the budget next year.

“But the truth of the matter is that increasing our salary by 20 per cent, would cause more problem for us because of the harsh economic conditions in the country. I am from the North and grains are our major food because we use it as the people from the East use garri and it used to very cheap because it was sold for as cheap as N80 per mudu. But today a mudu of corn is selling for as high as N500, so tell me what good would the 20 per cent salary increase do to us if not problems.”

But for Danlami Bukar, “the salary increase is a good thing by the Buhari’s government and I want to thank him very well. If other presidents have been increasing the salaries of policemen, the rot that we have in our system today would have been reduced. But I want to beg the president to please include it in next year’s budget so that we can smile like the politicians.”

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/20-pay-rise-police-officers-unhappy-indifferent/

lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Mko123(m): 9:45am On Dec 27, 2021
I have phobia in reading long epistle.
needing a nairaland expert that will summarize this in 4lines

6 Likes

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by NwaNimo1(m): 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
With the current rate of inflation this is not actually a pay rise but pay adjustment!

[img]https://media1./images/8449c89b2a5a67af4d98b99a8e403eee/tenor.gif?itemid=21379361[/img]

Plus 'hunter' has turned 'hunted' so the job no sweet for them again!

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Crafteck1: 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
I said it now, over past 8months basic food and cooking items/gas , drugs, have gone up btw 200 to 300 percent abd you are adding just 20 percent to what police salary, people we call when there is problem and put them in life or death situations, biko we dont need people in house of reps anymore, they havent been delivering but have been receiving x10 or x100 of their salaries for the past few decades.

11 Likes

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by kingphilip(m): 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
According him, “I will say the EndSARS protest has a good and bad effect on policemen especially because of the killings. Before now, a policeman would lobby his way to get posted to the Southeast region of the country because of what we make there,
No wonder if you're traveling across the north you won't see police officers collecting money in check points but when you're crossing over to the east you'd see alot of them collecting money.

Not in support of their killings though but they should stop the extortion of the innocent people.

If your salary no do you, resign find another work.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by WibusJaga: 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
cheesy

You can never be happy with any pay rise when the spirit of egunje has possessed you.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by kennieG(m): 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
N
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Dollyak(f): 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
Of course they'll be unhappy, considering the inflation rate in Nigeria. This is more like throwing them a bone.

5 Likes

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by BuharisBoy: 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
THANK YOU MR. PRESIDENT, I REPRESENT ALL POLICE OFFICERS

1 Like

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Subsea101: 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
Thunder fire them... thieves angry angry angry

Them no dey pity the masses, so I feel nothing for them as well.

If we wan protest for a better country, na dem go still tear-gas us.

So, every mallam with em kettle undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Tetrahedron: 9:46am On Dec 27, 2021
grin grin grin grin

“The police saw it as a scam”
grin grin grin

E be like say there is nobody APC cannot scam!

Cockroaches to be stamped out

4 Likes

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Lightway: 9:47am On Dec 27, 2021
The problem of this country is not the government but the greedy poor people in the country.

They gave you 20 percent pay rise and you're not happy

Useless fools. You want them to double your salary abi.. where is that done.

These fools don't know that success happens step by step

2 Likes

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Viraltrends123: 9:47am On Dec 27, 2021
LOL, they are happy ooo. Just that there was no celebration.

And they deserve it, unlike ASUU and other unions, they never went on strike.
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by gambia(m): 9:47am On Dec 27, 2021
Police is your friend ENEMY.

1 Like

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by AMAUCHESKY(m): 9:48am On Dec 27, 2021
Is a good one but that can't be there dream
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by BigDawsNet: 9:48am On Dec 27, 2021
Chia... while in the states, The average monthly pay for a Police Officer Job is $4035 a month...

Sometimes I think nigeria should be under fourth world countries

8 Likes

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by whirlwind7(m): 9:48am On Dec 27, 2021
Silly folks.
If they had any sense, they would have realized that the #ENDSARS protest was to their own benefit.
Rather, the same govt that has emasculated them used them to kill and disperse peaceful protesters.
There should have been some reforms by now if that organic protest was not killed by them and the military.

The sad part is that innocent citizens will continue to bear the brunt of it all

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by tiswell(m): 9:48am On Dec 27, 2021
very greedy lots sad

1 Like

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by WhizdomXX(m): 9:48am On Dec 27, 2021
Wailers
Stealing from hardworking Nigerians since 1983.

1 Like

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Day169: 9:48am On Dec 27, 2021
Even we the public are indifferent, as the practice of corruption in the police, which more or less is their 'code of conduct' presently, makes nonsense of the increment.
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Lightway: 9:49am On Dec 27, 2021
Dollyak:
Of course they'll be unhappy, considering the inflation rate in Nigeria.

If I catch you and this nonsense talk, I will use pegs to clip your pussy lips and your nipples...try me and see
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by samx4real(m): 9:49am On Dec 27, 2021
Why them go happy?

When the one's when them dey get for road big pass that one

1 Like

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:49am On Dec 27, 2021
It is well.
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Hezzyluv: 9:49am On Dec 27, 2021
20% increase but the increase in goods and services is over 30% undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by petsey(m): 9:50am On Dec 27, 2021
That one no stop them from bribe, I remember one of my scene like da, that is why dem dey die like fowl. After 35years of service wat u get is swelling stomach n painful death. If 20% increase no good, go n resign
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by Militant30: 9:51am On Dec 27, 2021
A bribe taken police will feel indifferent.
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by WhizdomXX(m): 9:51am On Dec 27, 2021
Lightway:
The problem of this country is not the government but the greedy poor people in the country.

They gave you 20 percent pay rise and you're not happy

Useless fools. You want them to double your salary abi.. where is that done.

These fools don't know that success happens step by step
The Police Force is one of Nigeria's worst sector.
Reading their personal comments, frankly I'm disappointed
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by iscom(m): 9:51am On Dec 27, 2021
Oh!
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by opera1(m): 9:51am On Dec 27, 2021
Even if it's 101% increase, some of them will still be begging on the road before they can eat
Re: 20% Pay Rise: Police Officers Unhappy, Indifferent by cutievik: 9:53am On Dec 27, 2021
Well, I hope other areas are looked at.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bank Alerts Rain On Ebonyi Civil Servants / More Hardship Looms For Nigerians As Discos Mull Tariff Increment / Malala Yousafzai Arrives Borno With Her Father, Meets Governor Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.