Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,114 members, 7,821,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? (20310 Views)

Poll: Who Was A Bigger Player?

Kanu: 56% (66 votes)
Jay Jay Okocha: 43% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is Africas All Time Best Midfielder : Yaya Toure Or Jay Jay Okocha? / WHO IS MOST DECORATED -KANU OR ETOO??? / Kanu Nwankwo Or Jay Jay Okocha? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 4:50pm On Jun 19, 2011
The only time they came 1st in anything was in Atlanta and Kanu hjad a hand in it.

Wow,

Please tell me who scored in the nerve racking quarter final game against Mexico?

who started the come back in the final?

and am sure our first Gold medal at Atalanta Olympic was in the women's Long Jump and not football
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 1:56am On Jun 20, 2011
baby-boy:

Wow,

Please tell me who scored in the nerve racking quarter final game against Mexico?

and am sure our first Gold medal at Atalanta Olympic was in the women's Long Jump and not football

Celestine Babayaro to both questions,

In case you dont know just ask questions

In the semi finals Okocha was the most useless on the field, Missing a penalty in a crucial moment, spitting and laughing all over.

We dey celebrate 6th ooo, Since thats the best a Nigerian has ever been

WHy wont we celebrate 6th when bros Jay Jay cant even make best 60?
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by OlaRay4(m): 6:32am On Jun 20, 2011
In the semi finals Okocha was the most useless on the field, Missing a penalty in a crucial moment, spitting and laughing all over.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Missing a penalty is now a crime! didnt Kanu bottle to take one in the semifinal of the nations cup against Senegal in 2002 IN EXTRA TIME

Atleast he stood up for it, am waiting for someone to name me another game
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 20, 2011
Ola-Ray:

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Missing a penalty is now a crime! didnt Kanu bottle to take one in  the semifinal of the nations cup against Senegal in 2002 IN EXTRA TIME

Atleast he stood up for it,  am waiting for someone to name me another game
For this comment,you shouldn't talk again.
Against Brazil,who saved us?Okocha almost led us to the abyss in that game.

I still don't understand.No one has put forth a decent argument in favour of Jay-jay or managed to explain his woeful club career,except mention Kanu being used as a substitute. . .everyone is being sentimental about Jay-Jay because he dribbled himself into extinction.

dayokanu:

Celestine Babayaro to both questions,

In case you dont know just ask questions

In the semi finals Okocha was the most useless on the field, Missing a penalty in a crucial moment, [b]spitting and laughing all over.[/b]We dey celebrate 6th ooo, Since thats the best a Nigerian has ever been

WHy wont we celebrate 6th when bros Jay Jay cant even make best 60?
Seconded.Against Brazil and their likes,Jay jay is anonymous. . .
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 11:54am On Jun 20, 2011
[size=18pt]am waiting for someone to name me another Nigerian game Kanu played well[/size]

One game in 17 years (in an under 23 competition)
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by DaDoctor: 12:21pm On Jun 20, 2011
HAS KANU EVER SCORED A NATIONS CUP GOAL[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 20, 2011
Da Doctor:

HAS KANU EVER SCORED A NATIONS CUP GOAL[color=#990000][/color]

Irrelevant at best.
Has Marco van Basten scored in the World Cup?
Has George Weah and Abedi Pele been to the World Cup?
baby-boy:

[size=18pt]am waiting for someone to name me another Nigerian game Kanu played well[/size]
Against Brazil with Ronaldo da Lima,Bebeto,Roberto Carlos and Dida among others. . .some of the best in the world at the time. . .
He can go to his grave with that,assuming we agree he never had another good game for Nigeria.
Okocha lost a penalty against this same team and was spitting like a pregnant woman on the pitch.
Name a game where Okocha was trully outstanding at the World stage.

Kanu was so bad ,he kept getting picked for Nigeria all the time. . .
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by DaDoctor: 2:11pm On Jun 20, 2011
It is comparison na, HE HAS NOT DONE THAT , BUT JAY JAY HAS.

Moreso, KANU WOULDNT BE MISSED AS MUCH AS WE DO MISS JAY JAY'THE MASTER' OKOCHA

The void Okocha left is still open, but Kanu didnt leave any void in my opinion.

^^OKOCHA NIDIEGWU OOOO, OKOCHA NA IDI TOO MUCH OKOCHA, NIGERAIN NUMBER '10' OOO , OKOCHA NA IDI EGWU OOOO, OKOCHA^^^
just singing
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Exponental(m): 2:29pm On Jun 20, 2011
Effort matters, Result is more important.
I give it to Kanu for his results.

Many Kanus can spring up but Okochas are rare.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 3:09pm On Jun 20, 2011
baby-boy:

Name one CAF award that Okocha ever won in his whole career.

He is the most overrated and useless Nigerian player ever.

Kanu is undisputed best Nigerian player ever

And Okocha wont even make top 5

1 KANU NWANKWO

2 Yekini

3. Finidi

4. Oliseh

5. Taribo West

6. Amuneke

7. Babayaro

8. Amokachi

9. Ikpeba

10. Segun Odegbami

11. Christian Chukwu

12. OKOCHA
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2011
Name one CAF award that Okocha ever won in his whole career.

CAF Team of the Tournament 2000

Goalkeeper

Khalid Fouhami
Defenders

Papa Malick Diop
Khaled Badra
Rigobert Song
Mohamed Emara
Midfielders

Billel Dziri
Lauren
Jay-Jay Okocha
Patrick Mboma
Forwards

Khalilou Fadiga
Shaun Bartlett

CAF Team of the Tournament 2002

Goalkeeper

Tony Sylva
Defenders

Taribo West
Rigobert Song
Ifeanyi Udeze
Hany Ramzy
Midfielders

Seydou Keita
Rafik Saifi
Patrick Mboma
Sibusiso Zuma
Forwards

Julius Aghahowa
El Hadji Diouf

CAF Team of the Tournament 2004

Goalkeeper

Vincent Enyeama
Defenders

Hoalid Regragui
Khaled Badra
Abdeslam Ouaddou
Timothée Atouba
Midfielders

Karim Ziani
Riadh Bouazizi
Jay-Jay Okocha
John Utaka
Forwards

Frédéric Kanouté
Youssef Hadji

CAF Team of the Tournament 2006

Goalkeeper

Essam El-Hadary
Defenders

Emmanuel Eboué
Rigobert Song
Wael Gomaa
Taye Taiwo
Midfielders

Stephen Appiah
Mohamed Aboutreika
Ahmed Hassan
Pascal Feindouno
Forwards

Didier Drogba
Samuel Eto'o

CAF Team of the Tournament 2008

Essam El-Hadary

Geremi Njitap
Wael Gomaa
Michael Essien

Sulley Muntari
Yaya Touré
Alexandre Song
Hosny Abd Rabo
Mohamed Aboutreika

Amr Zaki
Manucho

CAF Team of the Tournament 2010

Essam El-Hadary
Madjid Bougherra
Wael Gomaa
Mabiná
Ahmed Fathy
Peter Odemwingie
Alexandre Song
Ahmed Hassan
Asamoah Gyan
Mohamed Zidan
Flávio

5 tournaments and Nigeria's unofficial best player couldnt make any of the 5 teams of the Tournament (couldnt make the score sheet as well)
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 3:23pm On Jun 20, 2011
How come when CAF shares yearly African footballer of the year awards, they always forget Okocha?

But they remembered Kanu twice.

Even FIFA had Kanu as number 6 while Okocha never made top 40.

Austin Overrated okocha
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 3:28pm On Jun 20, 2011
Against Brazil with Ronaldo da Lima,Bebeto,Roberto Carlos and Dida among others. . .some of the best in the world at the time. . .
He can go to his grave with that,assuming we agree he never had another good game for Nigeria.

Its a shame he couldnt fluke another game,  may be should have joined the Sydney 2000 Olympic team I guess thats his level

Irrelevant at best.
Has Marco van Basten scored in the World Cup?
Has George Weah and Abedi Pele been to the World Cup?

Well Van Basten only went to one world cup, Kanu went to 3, and Van Basten could be forgiven because he won the Golden Boot at Euro 88

george Weah didnt go to the world cup because Liberia never qualified for the world cup but am sure he has a nationc cup goal to his name

Abedi Pele never played in a world cup Kanu played in 3
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 3:36pm On Jun 20, 2011
At U21 level Okocha was useless, Olympics, Okocha was useless, Clubside was horrible, national team, He led to our to the abyys. The only time Okocha was the leader of the team we failed to qualify for the world cup

Okocha cant make nigerias top 10 FACT
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by DaDoctor: 3:45pm On Jun 20, 2011
@dayokanu, OBVIOUSLY, ITS TOO EARLY FOR YOU TO BE DRUNK, Drop that green bottle.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 3:47pm On Jun 20, 2011
The only time Okocha was the leader of the team we failed to qualify for the world cup

I believe Okocha captained the 2002 team

I also believe he was in the 1994 Squad that won in Tunisia

The main fact is Kanu would have to pay his way into any team over the last 10 years
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2011
baby-boy:

Its a shame he couldnt fluke another game,  may be should have joined the Sydney 2000 Olympic team I guess thats his level
Why couldn't Jay-jay fluke it from the penalty spot against almighty Brazil?Why was he always shining against the likes of Cameroun,Mali,South Africa and co,but never against Argentina,England, et al?
At u-20 Level in Mauritius AYC 93,Okocha dribbled and Nigeria didn't make it to the semi-finals in a tournament of 8.
baby-boy:

Well Van Basten only went to one world cup, Kanu went to 3, and Van Basten could be forgiven because he won the Golden Boot and Euro 88
Poor him.But a certain tomas Skuravy of then Czechoslovakia has 5 World Cup goals from his solitary appearance at the World Cup.-Italia 90.Oleg Salenko has 6 from one World Cup in 1994.Julius Aghahowa, Garba Lawal all played in one World Cup and scored.Are we then saying van Basten was a fluke because he couldn't perform at the big stage the only time he got there?
baby-boy:

george Weah didnt go to the world cup because Liberia never qualified for the world cup but am sure he has a nationc cup goal to his name
too bad.He's regarded as the best player from Africa but he never got to the World Cup.Okocha was in three world cups and did nowt.
dayokanu:

At U21 level Okocha was useless, Olympics, Okocha was useless, Clubside was horrible, national team, He led to our to the abyys. [b]The only time Okocha was the leader of the team we failed to qualify for the world cup[/b]Okocha cant make nigerias top 10 FACT
Point in bolded massively ignored by the Jay-jay d/ick riders club.
baby-boy:

The main fact is Kanu would have to pay his way into any team over the last 10 years
Oliseh was captain of the side that qualified for 2002.
Okocha took over after Oliseh and co were thrown out,and what happened?We failed to get past the first round after 2 successive last-16 finishes in the mundial.Another failure by Jay-jay,yet they say he was more important to the national team.
Okocha was a bit-part player in 94.Even Westerhof was so frustrated by his lack of team ethic.Adepoju,Oliha,Oliseh were starters before jayJay. . .
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2011
Da Doctor:

@dayokanu, OBVIOUSLY, ITS TOO EARLY FOR YOU TO BE DRUNK, Drop that green bottle.

Bring your facts to the table.

Cos it seems only shallow football fans rate Okocha highly.

All the top clubs and coaches in Europe avoided him like a plague.

baby-boy:

I told you that only shallow and uninformed people think okocha is better. See this doesnt even know it was oliseh that led us to qualify for 2002. Okocha took over the team after Mali Nations cup.

Anyone with above average football knowledge knows Okocha cant be rated highly he is more of a circus player and never productive
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 20, 2011
dayokanu:

Bring your facts to the table.

Cos it seems only shallow football fans rate Okocha highly.

All the top clubs and coaches in Europe avoided him like a plague.

I told you that only shallow and uninformed people think okocha is better. See this doesnt even know it was oliseh that led us to qualify for 2002. Okocha took over the team after Mali Nations cup.
Anyone with above average football knowledge knows Okocha cant be rated highly he is more of a circus player and never productive
Leave these clowns.
Even after Okocha took over,the Super Eagles couldn't get past the first round for the first time in history in 2002.
Yet people tell us he was more important than Kanu.
When asked to lead the eagles in 2006,ordinary Angola topped our group.
His career in Super Eagles is nothing more than ordinary.Julius Aghahowa,Obafemi Martins were more important than this glorified futsal player,abeg. . .
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by success4(m): 5:27pm On Jun 20, 2011
Okocha  was the most useless captain Nigeria ever had,
As a captain he chose the game to play
As a captain he missed his way to a crucial game against Angola
As a captain he did not qualify Nigeria to world cup
As a captain he did not show good example

Humility of Kanu is superb
Little wonder wen people felt it was finished for him he did wonders

Okocha was not serious in his hey day little wonder no big club look for him.

Kanu was more of serious footballer. In Arsenal it was nepotism that made Wenga
to bench him. Check record, except you are just watching football.

Check history of qualifying for Nation/World Cup you will agree with me that Kanu performed well compare to Okocha.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 20, 2011
Jay Jay Okocha is the most useless and unserious captian the Super Eagles have had in their history.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jun 20, 2011
How can you compare someone who has never won CAF's highest individual award with another who has done so TWICE?
This argument is getting silly.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 5:47pm On Jun 20, 2011
Every top coach in Europe avoided Okocha like a plague can they all be stuuupiid?

CAF avoided his name in Player of the year

FIFA avoided him in WPOTY

UEFA avoided him in Ballon D or

Champions league avoided him in list of winners

League titles avoided him in the list of lifters

Only relegation teams embraced him

El hadji Diuof is a much better player than Okocha.

In the list of African players of all time, kanu would be top 10 while Okocha cant make top 50
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 20, 2011
^^^^^
Abeg,like i said earlier,this is a no-brainer.
Okocha is a failed player.Only good for futsal.
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by success4(m): 5:56pm On Jun 20, 2011
[size=35pt]KANU ROCK

OKOCHA SUCK
[/size]

The record are there for objectivity analysis
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 7:12pm On Jun 20, 2011
As a captain he missed his way to a crucial game against Angola

Thats testimony,

Okocha didnt play in Launda Angola! Super Eagles lost the game,

Okocha missed the game in Rwanda! Super Eagles still couldnt win,

So my question is What was Kanu doing?

was it too much for him to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and lead them on in the absence of Jay Jay?
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 7:24pm On Jun 20, 2011
You obviously dont know much about football, You need to update your knowledge before we continue,

Were you not the one asking those ridiculous questions above?

baby-boy:

Wow,

Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 7:31pm On Jun 20, 2011
I thought as much,
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Jun 20, 2011
You need to read and learn about football before coming to spew rubbish on the internet.

You are lucky you didnt try this with Sagamite else lipsrsealed
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 8:40pm On Jun 20, 2011
It would be extremely hard for me to take the word of someone who said Kanu's peak was a couple of years after playing in the Under 17 tournament as Gospel,

Theirs a strong chance of you filling up a hot-air balloon before mid-night
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by dayokanu(m): 8:45pm On Jun 20, 2011
baby-boy:

It would be extremely hard for me to take the word of someone who said Kanu's peak was a couple of years after playing in the Under 17 tournament as Gospel,

Theirs a strong chance of you filling up a hot-air balloon before mid-night

This statement is borderline reetarded.

Ronaldos won back to back WPOTY at age 19-21. Just 2 yrs beyond his 17th birthday.

What has age got to do with Peak years?

Who doesnt know in football some players are early bloomers e.g Kluivert, Ronaldo, Kanu, Del Piero, Messi??, and some are late e.g Zidane, Drogba, Nistelrooy, Xavi, LucaToni
Re: Kanu Or Jay Jay : Who Was Bigger Player? by babyboy3(m): 9:00pm On Jun 20, 2011
Ronaldos won back to back WPOTY at age 19-21. Just 2 yrs beyond his 17th birthday.

Gosh!!!!!!!!!!! man you sound like scratched Bonny M CD

So because he won the WPOTY very young that means he has peaked

So when Roger Millar won the African player of the year in 1976, was that at his peak? (Think carefully before you answer that question)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

John Enoh: 3 Things To Know About The New Sports Minster / Top 10 Most Hated Soccer Players & Managers / 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup: Nigeria's Fixtures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.