Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,262 members, 7,846,222 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 12:22 PM

Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages (15770 Views)

11 Brand New Courses To Be Taught In South African Universities / What Were You Taught In School That You Later Learned Was Completely Untrue? / Why Sex Education Should Be Taught In Nigerian Secondary Schools – SFH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 1:26pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

Your so-called understanding will not help the economy...... it's not everyone that can't do STEMS with English..... if XYZ doesn't understand English , let XYZ learn it and learn STEMS with it.

You see, this is why countries like Russia, China, Korea, Germany, Japan, including your Britain would rule you forever.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

You see, this is why countries like Russia, China, Korea, Germany, Japan, including your Britain would rule you forever.

That's in your mind, only.

Your mind is that of a slave.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 1:30pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

@Flier

It's not the best since it will cause more confusion......let musicwriter keep bragging about understanding as if English is new to the sun.

I've already answered this question. Check my second comment on this thread. And I am not bragging about anything, please.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by tete7000(m): 1:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
Nonsense talk.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

I've already answered this question. Check my second comment on this thread. And I am not bragging about anything, please.

I have seen your mind on this matter.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 01, 2022
musicwriter:

Certain things can't work no matter how you put it.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by SoNature(m): 1:41pm On Jan 01, 2022
sparog:

This should be encouraged. This is one of the reasons why Asians are doing well technologically better than Africa. Most Asian countries all use their languages to teach the STEM courses.

I don't quite agree.

Being successful in STEM is all about creativity; it has nothing to do with English language.
Language is just a means of passing a message.

Our problem is, we tend to focus more on theory and forget the practice....that's why we are backwards. We need to learn the principle to understand the idea that drives STEM, but STEM becomes almost useless where it is not applied in real life (practicals).

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by musicwriter(m): 1:47pm On Jan 01, 2022
HellVictorinho3:

Certain things can't work no matter how you put it.

Ok. Let me know the thing you think is impossible.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by IMAliyu(m): 1:51pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

Ehn ehn..my thought is every northerners can speak basic Hausa. If that should be the case, then those who can't speak Hausa should use the language they understand to explain. Thanks
Most, but not all.
I had a Yola Fulani girl as a classmate that only spoke English or Fulde, no Hausa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Bobbyjay001(m): 1:53pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes

That's not the point here bro. Teaching mathematics and other science subject in local language doesn't mean people won't understand and speak English language.

Doing this will make people understand more about the subject . At least notes and questions will be written in English. Only explanations should be done in native tongue.

This reminds me of Prof. Olopade of LASU, ECE department. He's a professor but explained mostly in Yoruba which made many of us enjoyed and passed his courses
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by IMAliyu(m): 1:54pm On Jan 01, 2022
talk2hb1:
Computer Programming should be included too, I can't wait to see computer programming included in school curriculum!
The thing with programming is at its core is still English.
The If, Else, or, print,... Syntax are still English and being familiar with the words makes things more intuitive.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Eastcoastboy(m): 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:

Ehn ehn..my thought is every northerners can speak basic Hausa. If that should be the case, then those who can't speak Hausa should use the language they understand to explain. Thanks

Hausa is the simplest Nigerian language, followed by Yoruba then Igbo.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Eastcoastboy(m): 2:10pm On Jan 01, 2022
Nobody get time to deh find X.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by uuzba(m): 2:17pm On Jan 01, 2022
Lukgaf:
My quick research also shows that this effort is even ongoing on Nairaland. There is a thread on Education section called

"Learn O'level And Undergrad Mathematics In Yoruba" where various STEM topics taught in some of these Nigeria languages such as Yoruba are being uploaded.

You might want to check here:

https://www.nairaland.com/6831137/learn-olevel-undergrad-mathematics-yoruba#108978658

Statistical analyses made easy (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW6_B-w9-04&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcnD3IyJQRGrzsJ3xhPDTgN

SSCE mathematics: from zero to Guru (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjoA-IuQdhI&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXf8SEkUXGCtOtcIcnReMa48

Calculus in 5 minutes (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYXCZBH3aw&list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXcU3RgYcRykGj0XdJrmHaDS

Complex numbers the easy way (Yoruba)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn0ZvdWhZVXd4iE240ciW3KihZd509pXE

Others:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSXNWNp1nEM4o2AbOgONZlQ/videos

In think we have to encourage more of this. To excel technically in Africa, we have to go this way!
More division
Those who are not Yoruba will find their way out of that school.
Nobody will want to join anybody's language except their own exact language.
And there are over 500 in Nigeria.
Each must get their own YouTube and their own textbooks in their language.
English is used to avoid all this divisions in the country. It isn't our language O, but it disfavours everybody equally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Homeboiy: 2:30pm On Jan 01, 2022
Pidgin English should be made compulsory in schools

I remain when I did Ordinary differential equations

Na pidgin owin olowo take Dey disent am for us

But many people still get F because that course too hard to understand

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 01, 2022
Maths is the most important subject in school and Life.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by sampsonub100: 2:55pm On Jan 01, 2022
Annie001:
Important for what?
What's the essence of finding x and y now?
Will I apply BODMAS to when working in an office?
Standard deviation
Maths is useless
My grandma wey no go school sabi how to count money.
Oga be calming down. Mathematics is the bedrock of Science and Technology. If you no sabi am just keep quiet.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Annie001: 3:17pm On Jan 01, 2022
sampsonub100:
Oga be calming down. Mathematics is the bedrock of Science and Technology. If you no sabi am just keep quiet.
What has mathematics done in your life
Bedrock isonu
Just open mouth waaaaz
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by nextstep(m): 3:18pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with more than 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes

So what's the problem in teaching maths in each of the ethnic languages/groups? I mean, if you are in Kwara or Niger State, teach in Nupe... if in Delta, you can teach in Uhrobo or Igbo. Textbooks can be translated, as can exams, and other materials. Even the smaller ethnic groups have populations larger than some countries, so we have enough authors, teachers, and students to make it worthwhile.

We're not addressing the question of national assemblies, or even employment, but instead focusing on education in mother tongue - which is the point of this topic.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by DeRay98(m): 3:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
Maths teachers in secondary schools are the worst culprits. They put their ego ahead and make it look like you need 2heads to understand maths.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Yankee101: 3:34pm On Jan 01, 2022
Seconded
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Gbenga2014: 3:47pm On Jan 01, 2022
danietohbadt:

So, what happens when a Yoruba man who learnt Mathematics in Yoruba gets a job in Anambra?
Then aside that, what happens when it comes to writing unified examinations like JAMB?
What happens when a Yoruba boy leaves his home to write post utme in a federal university in the North?

Does language change the concept of solving the subject matter?
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by kumulus(m): 3:48pm On Jan 01, 2022
anochuko01:

Where are the textbooks and other teaching resources to teach maths in local languages?
These things have to be in place and certified worthy first before we can start talking about the teaching part. And yeah, teachers have to be trained for that too!

These lazy professors should be championing such research and publications, but they prefer seating in their offices to collect salary, sell textbooks and demand money from ASUU.

These silly professors can't even be innovative with teaching maths with English the way they were taught! But this one is here clamouring for what's even more difficult.

You'll be surprised at the level of understanding students would get if you could simply use local case studies as examples during lectures, but they'll rather recycle questions found in foreign materials, questions you can't even relate with because you're unfamiliar with the terms and words used.

One could go on and on, but the bottom line is that this man isn't serious yet.

Of course, the hardest part is always the "starting"..... that it's hard doesn't mean it's unattainable.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by meccuno: 4:07pm On Jan 01, 2022
This is completely unnecessary and senseless. My indigenous language was not taught to me formally. I learnt it through my parents. Learning a language takes one a minimum of 6 months and a whole year to master when taught in a classroom. We learn English for approximately 12-14 years of our lives in a classroom. If anyone claims not to understand English language for that period is either a slowpoke or a complete idiot. If you cannot understand a language taught within that long period, is it further mathematics that the person's brain would be able to comprehend in his indigenous language? Break this fucking country so that if you want to teach suicide bombing as a course then you are free to do so. Don't use your mediocrity to run our brain down. undecided

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by kumulus(m): 4:13pm On Jan 01, 2022
SoNature:
Lukgaf
kumulus
gbaskiboy

The language used to teach maths is not the problem, but understanding, remembering, and knowing how to implementing its endless laws. If not (of course, every topic has its rules), you won't find the subject difficult. Using local languages won't simply it.

Subjects are difficult to understand because the students first have to understand the language of teaching before they are able to digest what's being taught.

I'll share my secondary school experience with you; as a science student (not that other type tongue) I understood NOTHING in Chemistry. I always wondered how the other kids who got good grades in the subject did it, I think this went on for the first two years is senior high. Until God sent me a savior in a man called O.J (real name), our first class with him was on chemical reactions. He explained with very simple ideas we all could identify with (It's Basira's pot of stew and how it's made), everyone (not exaggerating at all) in class understood vividly. Till tomorrow I'm sure I still can answer questions on hydrocarbons as extensive as the topic is because of the way this Ekiti man taught us a little over a decade ago, everytime there seems to be a grey area O.J explains in yoruba or pidgin to make things clear. Arguably one of the best teachers that ever taught me.

Language is one such master key, it unlocks a wealth of genius our ancestors left deposited within us.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by yorubarere: 4:28pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hisbah21:
i dont agree,we have so many tribes to even start that. alot of confusion will happen. There are states with morethan 59 ethnic groups..English Language moderates alot of things in Nigeria.. National assemblies for instance,which tribe will be spoken there? no one will agree to speak others tribe, even if he agrees,he cant understand. the same thing will happen if we are taught in our tribes. There are some groups will less popularity and can hardly understand the majority tribes
That is why state ought to determine their education. Yoruba want to learn their own way and national education is drawing us back.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by Hkff: 4:57pm On Jan 01, 2022
Why
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by henrijin: 5:01pm On Jan 01, 2022
Abeg, how dem go take talk the formula for area of circle in Calabar?
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by shantti(m): 5:11pm On Jan 01, 2022
This will be very difficult to implement. For instance in my language, igbo, Many mathematical terms have no Igbo equivalent.
How will you say indices, logarithm, binary number, Laplace transform, simultaneous equation, quadratic equation, circle geometry in igbo
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by brio1408: 5:16pm On Jan 01, 2022
I guess it should be Professor Fafunwa.
ejimatic:
Prof Afolayan in 1978 recommended that mother tonques should be used to teach Maths and many subjects in primary and secondary schools. How many schools accepted the. recommendations? The prof in this report will not let his children speak English at home.as it applies to many other educated Nigerians. Until we change our attitude to our mother
tonques Nigeriann indigenous languages will soon go into extinction.
Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by ejimatic: 5:23pm On Jan 01, 2022
brio1408:
I guess it should be Professor Fafunwa.
. Exactly Professor Fafunwa! Sorry for the mix-up and thank you for the correction.

1 Like

Re: Sunday Kayode: Maths Should Be Taught In Nigerian Languages by GoldHorse(m): 5:47pm On Jan 01, 2022
dazzlingd:

All Germans understand german, same with chinese

So which of the Nigerian languages do we teach mathematics... do Nigerians speak Nigerian.

Perhaps u should state how his would work out before u start suggesting mission impossible ideas.

Make una dey reason

Same with everything... YOU START SOMEWHERE!

If it's to start with the 1 language or 3 or 4 major languages including pidgin then just start! All other things will fall into place as we go on. There is nothing to gain by listing ALL the reasons it could not be done while not attempting anything.

NO ONE WHO ACHIEVED ANY BIG KNOWS HOW IT WILL BE FROM THE BEGINING. They just did it!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Are Lawyers Buried Face Down (photo) / Fed Poly Nas Nd, hnd, pre nd, PT and ijmb Form for 2013/2014 is On Sale. / How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.