Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,116 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? (27373 Views)

Why Does Xiaomi Note 11 Refresh Browser Page When Minimized / Which Mobile Data Network Is Fastest And Reliable? / Which Mobile Data Provider Is Currently The Best In Terms Of Cost & Reliability? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by seunaj: 4:40pm On Jan 16, 2022
It actually does but not significantly. It can restrict background data usage while the data was off but these background data are usually negligible. I have been using my current phn for abt 6 months and I can't remember offing data for once. I really don't even know where to off data. Highest I use airplane mode when I don't want to be disturbed

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by bizhop01: 4:59pm On Jan 16, 2022
No need to turn off if you already turn off app background data it's will only preserve battery.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by siddique07: 5:01pm On Jan 16, 2022
Wo all this networks are just scanners ni jere

If u like off am till planet pluto, na 2weeks u go use exhaust 3gb 1mnth sub
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by tiswell(m): 5:05pm On Jan 16, 2022
YourFavorite21:
no bro, leaving your phone data ON while charging reduces your battery life and makes the phone hot.
Go and buy a good phone

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Moikiitos: 5:08pm On Jan 16, 2022
Absolutely not. More so, you probably want to turn off the apps that are active in background. That setting turns off the data completely as soon as you use it. Sometimes it takes 2-3 seconds to turn the data off completely (the LTE/H+ sign to disappear because of network issues), else the data is always switched off immediately. But when it is turned on, it will update all from the point of switch off to now...You will have the same data usage at not been turned off. But, you can still have your originally data usage when you use a WiFi networks connection to update your mobile to current status before turning on your own mobile data.

lifezone247:
So often people tend to switch off their mobile data. Most times they will tell you they want to preserve their data, some actually did it to preserve battery consultations anyway. But does switching off mobile data actually preserved data usages? Mine is always on 24/7.

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by gazza07(m): 5:28pm On Jan 16, 2022
Lol. I don't off my data from 5a.m to 11:30p.m. I can't tell
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:41pm On Jan 16, 2022
To save battery yes but for data e doesn't make any difference at all.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by tunize(m): 5:44pm On Jan 16, 2022
I don't know shall my data is on 24/7 except maybe my b3 is down I can switch off.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by FaithBrain1994(m): 6:15pm On Jan 16, 2022
A great lesson i'm learning here.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Welcomme: 6:40pm On Jan 16, 2022
ayindejimmy:

Just disable background data
How do I do that, please.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by sinola(m): 6:48pm On Jan 16, 2022
It only saves your battery life
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Freelancerx: 8:07pm On Jan 16, 2022
This is educating
linearity:

Background data usage or background refresh are usually status messages call keepalives.

They consume minimal data in bytes and are not noticeable on your overall data usage. Sometimes, they are just an ‘are you alive’ and a response like ‘ok’ been sent between a server and your client application. In techie, we call them ‘control’ messages they are not much.

Also automatic backups eat lots of data, but this cancels out because once you switch on your data, the automatic backup will kick in and consume the same amount of data.

Also note that, when you switch off your phone and the apps are no longer able to send and receive their background refresh data, the status of the app times out on the server end. Therefore, the next time you switch on your data and the app try to communicate with the server, the app and the server will have to send and receive more data now to authenticate themselves, establish their states, etc. So unless you intend switching it off for days, you end of burning more data.

So, if the goal is to save power, then switching it off will achieve that, but if it is data you what to save, you won’t achieve much.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Matthew2925(m): 8:12pm On Jan 16, 2022
Of course.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by HonestFriend: 8:24pm On Jan 16, 2022
If u want to preserve ur data there re some apps u must stop from synchronizing on the background. These app keeps running wen ur phone is idle n ur data is on
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by YourFavorite21(m): 9:04pm On Jan 16, 2022
tiswell:
Go and buy a good phone
wetin carry "buying of phone" enter dis talk now Ogbeni, You no go fit afford the phone way I dey use sef. undecided
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by shegzydave(m): 9:32pm On Jan 16, 2022
It doesn't in anyway
The only time I off my data is when I have low ba3
Even if u off your data for 3days the day u out it on again it will consume the necessary data it ought to consume for that 3days..... It only saves ba3 thats all and that why is either when I have low ba3 or when I want my phone to charge fast that when I off my data
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by tiswell(m): 10:47pm On Jan 16, 2022
YourFavorite21:
wetin carry "buying of phone" enter dis talk now Ogbeni, You no go fit afford the phone way I dey use sef. undecided
which kain phone gets hot just because your data is ON while charging?

I repeat, Go and buy a good phone sad
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by fullnetwork: 10:53pm On Jan 16, 2022
Dam5reey:

It does not, it may limit you from browsing and using data anyhow, It only saves battery...

Once you on data it will synchronize all the Notifications you missed..
This will only be true if synchronisation is done once a day by default.
Have you checked your app permission to see how many that uses your data? And the frequency of such usage?
The "significance" (quantity) of such usage is also subject to debate.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Yinksy09(m): 5:55am On Jan 17, 2022
I think it does because apart from using some apps if your data is on especially Android devices, it consumes background data.

For your information, you can get an Oraimo power bank for long lasting battery life.

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by YourFavorite21(m): 6:44am On Jan 17, 2022
tiswell:
which kain phone gets hot just because your data is ON while charging?

I repeat, Go and buy a good phone sad
pls Get-out
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by NightFood: 8:06am On Jan 17, 2022
Yes it definitely does now
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by 1vid(m): 9:12pm On Jan 17, 2022
On iphone, of (restrict) those apps that you don't want to use data.

On Android just switch on your data saver function.

Meanwhile, always switch of your data, because this is 9ja. In uptown, you are good to go.

Wisdom no go finish me.

DM
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by MisterKennedy(m): 12:18pm On Jan 18, 2022
tayo60:
Leaving your data on 24/7 makes your battery drain fast
You're right dear

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by fredie107(m): 4:07pm On Jan 18, 2022
Vickyvice:
yes.very well.just check your data balance, and leave the data on for fifteen minutes, and check again, 4 mb don commot. D browsers, software and updates are updating. For Android phones

It does not limit data. The moment you put on your data, all the messages you would received in real time if your data were to be on will still enter and take the same data you were saving. So why off your data.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by fredie107(m): 4:10pm On Jan 18, 2022
tayo60:
Leaving your data on 24/7 makes your battery drain fast

My data is on from January 1st to December 31st and I have never run out of battery for one day. My battery takes me with my data on till 9pm with about 25% left. So get a phone with good battery

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Opera Mini For Etisalat Lines / Freetel Ice 2 Written Review: Meet the N13,000 Smartphone Google Promised Us / The Dangers In Making & Answering Calls While "Charging"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.