Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,817 members, 7,956,083 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:09 AM

Is Anyone Up For A Different Kind Of Travel? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Anyone Up For A Different Kind Of Travel? (637 Views)

How Can I Verify The Legitimacy Of Travel Agents / The Importance Of Travel For Personal Development / Rip Off Alert!!!! Beware Of Travel Agencies And Their Exploits! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Anyone Up For A Different Kind Of Travel? by Berndball: 6:45am On Jun 18, 2011
Travel along the internet, to be exact.

Hello, I am in informal representative of Krautchan's international board. On this board, we discuss all sorts of interesting topics dealing with locations all around the world, enriching each other with unique experiences that can only be had in our individual countries. However, we have a noticeable lack of diversity when it comes to Africa. The only posters we have from the entire continent are a Moroccan, an Egyptian, and one South African who spends most of his time in America. We have no regular posters from sub-Saharan Africa, and this lack of representation from such a significant portion of the world's population is a source of great distress to us.

So, I would like to make a formal request to the denizens of Nairaland to supply us with a cultural ambassador from your great community. I've been lurking this forum for several days, and I have come to the conclusion that this is the best place to find a new poster for our board that will provide great enrichment to the community.

However, if any of you are considering my request, I should give you a warning. Being a chan-type imageboard, /int/ (as our community is called) has its fair share of trolls and complete idiots. Upon your arrival, there will likely be one or two idiots spamming the thread with racist jokes or comments about their surprise that you have been able to find an internet connection. Though such stupidity is frustrating, their posts either receive negative or no responses, and oftentimes lead to the poster being temporarily banned. I assure you that the vast majority of us will appreciate your contribution to our community, and, if you are able to ignore the ignoramuses, you will find an intelligent community of like-minded individuals who enjoy talking and learning about the world around them. We have had similar cases with new posters coming from underrepresented regions, and the ones that have the mental fortitude to shrug off the obligatory imageboard idiocy have become among the most loved and respected members of our community.

I should also note that even if you are able to ignore the idiots, chan-style imageboards tend to attract a certain kind of individual, and I doubt that most of Nairaland's posters would find it appealing, as it differs greatly from the more organized, and to be honest, more civil structure traditional forums like Nairaland are characterized by. However, I have hope that one or two of you will find Krautchan's international board to be a fitting community, and a place that you will visit regularly for intelligent, enriching discussion.

PS I'm not sure if this post is allowed on this particular sub-forum or Nairaland in general. If it is the former, I will understand if it is swiftly deleted, and remake it in the general forum. If it is the latter, I apologize for wasting the mods' time, and I sincerely hope that one of the few who reads this thread takes me up on my offer.

As I am not sure if it will violate forum rules, I will not post a link, however, all you must do to find our community is google "krautchan international".
Re: Is Anyone Up For A Different Kind Of Travel? by Berndball: 2:49am On Jun 19, 2011
OK, perhaps the overly formal style didn't work out so well. However, a great deal of us really want to see a legitimate African poster, and though it certainly isn't for everyone, if you have the right personality, /int/ can be a great community to be a part of. Even if you don't want to stay, we would greatly appreciate just one or two threads telling us about your country, especially one of what we call an "I went out" thread, which involves posting pictures you've taken of the outside world.

I also should have mentioned that /int/ automatically bans IP's from countries that that we have never gotten posts from, as a measure to prevent people from using proxies to fake their location of origin. This will likely include Nigeria and the rest of sub-Saharan Africa. If you are interested in posting on /int/, you will have to visit Krautchan's IRC to confirm that you are in fact from Nigeria or elsewhere in Africa, or, if you are unable to use the IRC, post in this thread, and one of us can go there for you.

(1) (Reply)

Scholarship / Health Insurance / Moderator Why Did You Hide My Topic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.