Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,004 members, 7,863,616 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:33 PM

350 Widows Empowered In Anambra Community - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 350 Widows Empowered In Anambra Community (301 Views)

Ekiti First Lady Unveils Pet Project, Waoh ...empowers 350 Widows, 25 Orphans / Six Children Killed In Attack By IPOB On Anambra Community / Old Woman Empowered With Bicycle In Abia. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

350 Widows Empowered In Anambra Community by Chuka247: 3:17pm On Jan 11, 2022
Dona-Maureen Foundation, a Non Governmental Organization (NGO) has empowered over 350 widows from Igbo-Ukwu, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State, and its environs with free grants to enable them start up small scale businesses. Also in the spirit of Christmas and New Year, the widows were also given bags of rice and condiments.

In a ceremony at her Igbo-Ukwu country home yesterday, founder of the NGO, Dr. Maureen Umemmuo-Umeakuewulu, said she was moved to assist the widows knowing the condition of an average indigent widow in the society.

“I am a widow, and I know that most widows are in difficult conditions. There is this erroneous perception that once one is a widow, she is meant to beg for food. So, I thought of gathering them together to talk to them, and empower them to help them become self reliant; so that their widowhood will not be tantamount to poverty.

“One could be a widow and still achieves whatever she wants to achieve. In times to come, we’re going to train them in different skills in order to further assist them put food on their tables, and help their families. This kind of gesture will also help bridge the gap between the haves and the have not,” she said.

Dr. Umemuo, a Consultant Gynecologist with the National Hospital, Abuja, who is also the Vice Chairman, Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Federal Capital Territory Chapter, also called on government and other affluent individuals to join hands in lifting the downtrodden in the society.

A beneficiary, Mrs Justina Osuokwu, expressed her gratitude to the foundation for remembering and empowering the indigent widows.

“I am grateful for this gesture. It is rare to find organizations coming up to help poor people in the society. Over the years, this NGO have been assisting people in this community and its environs with free medical care, in order to uplift their health status.
“Today, it has come up with this package of empowering indigent widows. My prayer is that God will continue to bless the founder, to enable her be a blessing to many more people,” she said.

Another beneficiary, Mrs Jecinta Nwankwo, expressed her gratitude towards the organization, and promised to use what was given to her to uplift the standard of living of her family.

“I am happy to be empowered by this foundation. My promise is that I will make proper use of this to uplift the status and standard of living of my household,” she said.

Community leaders such as Emeka Umebido, Okwuchukwu Umemmuo, Rev. Uchenna Nwangwu, among others, commended the NGO for its gesture in uplifting the status of widows in the town and its environs.

(1) (Reply)

AREGBESOLA Is An Arrogant, Selfish, Self-centered, Reckless, Wicked And Inconsid / Orumba Celebrate As Hon Ben Nwankwo, Thankgod Ibeh Listed As Anambra Transition / Shocking! Tinubu Visit To IBB Spark Serious Reactions | Nigeria News Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.