Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,421 members, 7,815,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening (5512 Views)

Nigeria Is Not Broke - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Nigeria Should Reduce Domestic Borrowing - Dr. Okonjo-Iweala / World Bank Md, Dr.okonjo Recently Quit Her Job At World Bank For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by rhymz(m): 4:59pm On Jun 19, 2011
I would rather a brettonwoods controlled economy with the capacity to meet our yearnings than this dumbass Aganga that is busy doing nothing.
And what exactly is this nonsensr screening for it has not stopped previous ones from indulging ib corruption.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by bomb1(m): 5:08pm On Jun 19, 2011
Dr Okonjo won't be lured into this looming failure.

"the forces of political monopoly and economic monopsony will only lead to the monotony of failure".---Rev Chris Okotie

Economic Monopsony:Diesel and Cement merchant funding the monopolists

Political monopoly:Inept group who hijacked the visions of the founding fathers with reckless impunity

Monotony of Failure: deadly roads,non-existent public education and health sectors,poor security.

Citizens no longer believe in this "Nigeria" reality show
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 5:32pm On Jun 19, 2011
rhymz:

I would rather a brettonwoods controlled economy with the capacity to meet our yearnings than this dumbass Aganga that is busy doing nothing.

Really? Do you know what a Bretton woods controlled economy is? Would u support the annexation of your country by Western powers for economic gain? There's a reason Protectionism is a fundamental thrust in Development economics while Open market and minimal govt participation is the key policy thrust of Bretton woods prescribed economic policies. Be careful what you wish for.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by ektbear: 6:18pm On Jun 19, 2011
amarilo:

I strongly beleive that two of you are on pay as you post payroll from Tinubu. If not y can't you ignore irrelevant but true posts against your pay master.

Lmao. My current paymaster is indeed a government, but none on the continent of Africa. I just don't see what Tinubu has to do with screening. Is he in public office, or running for public office, or being considered for a ministerial position. . . ?

And kindly explain how the post is "true" (whatever that means)?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by chamber2(m): 6:47pm On Jun 19, 2011
She may have given GEJ some very tough conditions. Eg [b]Sanusi must take the back seat [/b]etc. *Just thinking*

And that will really serve us well shocked
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by violent(m): 7:10pm On Jun 19, 2011
Peharps Goodluck couldn't afford to pay her?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Reference(m): 7:15pm On Jun 19, 2011
This is not quite right. It is not like she is called to serve in a military regime for goodness sake. Or does she harbour political ambitions with the opposition in the future. I don't get it. Must the weather be perfect for a glorious outing. We know she is not in it for the money, the power, nor the pride. She has succeeded before so what makes this different challenge suddenly appear unwieldy. For you to be crowned a champion and an achiever you will have had to surmount differing challenges and prevailed against all manner of opposition. This government is no exception. If she feels the President is not up to it, make him. If the environment is not suitable, create one. From a standing start it takes just about the same effort to create an economic mess than to repair one. The debt issue, the CBN problems, the Stock Exchange challenges.

If at anytime the challenges become human call the President's attention to them. If and when he fails to respond properly on account of unwillingness or inabilities simply call a press conference, state your position and publicly resign. Nigerians will then have to decide based on their knowledge of the inner workings where the problem lies. But for her to wait for another Obasanjo like figure to serve this country is a bit too far. re there any two leaders anywhere in the world totally alike. Or will she say she was comfortable with everything Baba said and did. I don't get it.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by bomb1(m): 7:18pm On Jun 19, 2011
violent:

Why anyone shouldn't leave a $300k a year job for a ministerial appointment in Nigeria is beyond what i can comprehend!

WTF is she thinking??

She is accomplished and not ready to stuff her bank accounts for generations unborn.

Look elsewhere!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by violent(m): 7:32pm On Jun 19, 2011
bomb1:

She is accomplished and not read to stuff her bank accounts for generations unborn.

Look elsewhere!

Abegiiiiii!!!!

Spare me the patriotic talk, even Dangote is still stuffing up his Bank account.

Okonjo Iweala, while serving as a Minister, refused to be paid in Naira------ not exactly what you define as patriotic!!

Serving as a minister in your country should be seen as a privilege. It's very shameful to milk the country for what it's worth simply because you have a doctorate from Harvard and a world Bank experience!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Gbawe: 7:38pm On Jun 19, 2011
wesley80:

@Gbawe
I do understand that it is a 'Nigerian thing' to be wowed by a public official that quits office -that is understandable- but what i find worrying is the tendency for someone that quits office to be assumed to be of high integrity even when you were not privy to the reasons or circumstances surrounding her resignation (all you know are pathetic assumptions and i stand to be corrected). This isnt about the personality of the ex minister so i'lld like to stay on course. What i find just as funny is that with you and most followers of the ex-minister, you all seem to point to the success of the debt forgiveness exercise as evidence of her success in office, an episode i believe was most unfortunate and tragic for our country, or how else would you  describe the payment of a lumpsum of about $16b by a developing country overrun by poverty and inadequate infrastructure to western countries? The lesser i talk about this the better so let me move on.
I do not know how much of Economics you know about but take it from me, Economics has got a lot more to do with ideology than anything else and once you've started down that road of laissez faire Bretton Woods economics, little else would make sense to you and i have no doubt this is where the ex minister's economic views are firmly anchored considering her previous track record. So the big question is; Are the solutions to the problems bedevilling our economy in the Bretton woods prescribed zero government participation and total privatization programmes? I do not think so and neither do i think an afficianado of those policies is best to man our finance ministry.

This is why talking to folks like you , despite your pretense to intellect, is like hitting hitting one's head against a brick wall. Where do you get off assuming I am one of those enamoured with Okonjo Iweala because she quit public office while all I "know are pathetic assumptions"? My friend you are the one making[b] grossly[/b] pathetic assumptions when not "privy" to the thinking of others.

I rate Okonjo Iweala highly for her robust work with the economic team under OBJ that saw her win the African Finance Minister of the year in 2005. Your attempt at sounding intelligent just seems like impotent revisionism to me because if one inspects Okonjo Iweala overall achievement and efficacy in many areas of her core finance duties and beyond it will be immediately obvious why many rate her . Only god knows where your mind got the nonsense about folks respecting Iweala because she resigned from office. Possible the worst rubbish I have read from you to date. Go and read up comprehensively about the achievement of Okonjo Iweala and her economic team to see why GEJ (your hero) wants the "Bretton Woods stooge" in his cabinet.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Gbawe: 7:57pm On Jun 19, 2011
Reference:

This is not quite right. It is not like she is called to serve in a military regime for goodness sake. Or does she harbour political ambitions with the opposition in the future. I don't get it. Must the weather be perfect for a glorious outing. We know she is not in it for the money, the power, nor the pride. She has succeeded before so what makes this different challenge suddenly appear unwieldy. For you to be crowned a champion and an achiever you will have had to surmount differing challenges and prevailed against all manner of opposition. This government is no exception. If she feels the President is not up to it, make him. If the environment is not suitable, create one. From a standing start it takes just about the same effort to create an economic mess than to repair one. The debt issue, the CBN problems, the Stock Exchange challenges.

If at anytime the challenges become human call the President's attention to them. If and when he fails to respond properly on account of unwillingness or inabilities simply call a press conference, state your position and publicly resign. Nigerians will then have to decide based on their knowledge of the inner workings where the problem lies. But for her to wait for another Obasanjo like figure to serve this country is a bit too far. re there any two leaders anywhere in the world totally alike. Or will she say she was comfortable with everything Baba said and did. I don't get it.

If you are a right footer will you play in a team where the Coach[b] insist[/b] you use your left foot alone? Okonjo Iweala is a big critic of GEJ's fiscal policies. She has taken up his Government over profligacy, waste, bloated size of Government, debt accumulation, depleted ECA , unacceptably high recurrent expenditure at the expense of much needed capital spending , etc , etc. She will undoubtedly be in favour of drastic cuts and a leaner and more streamlined Government. She will ,for example, favour the transparent concessioning of our Refineries into competent private hands ASAP yet GEJ , amazingly, has gone ahead to show he prefers to shamelessly pander to corruption and gross ineptitude by directing that the Moribund NNPC , serial failure that it is, turn around our refineries in 24 months !!!! 

Where will she even begin as Finance Minister when GEJ has already 'tied' her hands by announcing that a Leaner Government is not possible ? Abeg , this is not Rocket Science. It is the same reason crooked Companies operate in Nigeria while serious businesses with integrity stay away. I.e they know they cannot be optimally productive working with deceit and insincerity. Okonjo Iweala may not be ready to work with the type of deciet and lack of political will that will ensure she will achieve nothing good for Nigeria under GEJ. She may actually come away with her reputation damaged by associating with those , from their actions, we can see are planning to fail.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by member479760: 9:49pm On Jun 19, 2011
So, no another Igbo to do the job?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by member479760: 10:14pm On Jun 19, 2011
how on this earth that someone that score 13 goals of 86 appearances will top the list, beside that the guy no smell Jay jay on the field lailai. white people dey deceive us and we too dey deceive ourself.

likewise, our engrs all over the world performing wonder but not in Nigeria, Prof. Okonjo using the software whiteman provided to do her job at world bank but all of a sudden, she is financial guru to us.

we need the locals to handle this thing according to local situations and conditions.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 11:18pm On Jun 19, 2011
Gbawe:

This is why talking to folks like you , despite your pretense to intellect, is like hitting hitting one's head against a brick wall. Where do you get off assuming I am one of those enamoured with Okonjo Iweala because she quit public office while all I "know are pathetic assumptions"? My friend you are the one making[b] grossly[/b] pathetic assumptions when not "privy" to the thinking of others.

I rate Okonjo Iweala highly for her robust work with the economic team under OBJ that saw her win the African Finance Minister of the year in 2005. Your attempt at sounding intelligent just seems like impotent revisionism to me because if one inspects Okonjo Iweala overall achievement and efficacy in many areas of her core finance duties and beyond it will be immediately obvious why many rate her . Only god knows where your mind got the nonsense about folks respecting Iweala because she resigned from office. Possible the worst rubbish I have read from you to date. Go and read up comprehensively about the achievement of Okonjo Iweala and her economic team to see why GEJ (your hero) wants the "Bretton Woods stooge" in his cabinet.
My friend u r just yapping! I made it pretty clear in the second paragraph of my post u quoted that my comment had nothing to do with the person, accomplishment or integrity of the ex minister yet it is on those that u've chosen to base your entire rant on, so what happens to the little matter of Economics? Isnt that what this entire argument is supposed to be about? You must have a wicked sense of humour to have mentioned her Finance minister of the year award when u're aware Soludo won CBN Gov of the year while nearly half the banks in the country were on life support, awards are no biggie i tell u -ask Cecilia Ibru!. I do not wish to disparage her accomplishments in any way -no doubt she's a great achiever - but my whole argument is that she isnt the best for the Position considering her affiliations and economic leanings and i'm still waiting to hear your reasons for thinking she's best for the position.
Lastly, I wonder what it is about Gej that turns u off so badly, why are u so eager to term his adminstration a failure barely a month into its life, why r u so desperate to pick on his person with the least opportunity u get? is your success dependent on his failure or is it just a favorite obsession of yours? Get a grip pls! ,
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by MeandSum: 11:54pm On Jun 19, 2011
igbo boy:

Shuoooo Nna bros dem dey pay you? Seriously are you under Tinubu's payroll? If not i bet you are related to him. Damn the way you defend this man left and right one will think he is your boyfriend or some sorts, If people make ignorant comments about the man your tendency to defend the man in a passionately rude manner doesnt help either,

I don't get it. What did Tinubu do to you? please guys enlighten me! he seems to be bashed here everyday as thief, idiot, corrupt and so on.
Can you please provide links to what his sins are?

I visit Nigeria about once a year and I notice the difference every year in Lagos and Abuja. Maybe you guys don't notice anything because you're there.

The other day, someone here said Tinubu stole over $20 billion in 8 years. Aba! That meant he would have been stealing 100% of the budget every year and miraculously manufacture another 30% a year to steal (considering the average appropriation bill during his term was $1.8 Billion)! It is quite easy to open your mouth and say all these rubbish against someone while hiding behind your computer.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." ~ Eleanor Roosevel
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Gbawe: 11:58pm On Jun 19, 2011
wesley80:

My friend u r just yapping! I made it pretty clear in the second paragraph of my post u quoted that my comment had nothing to do with the person, accomplishment or integrity of the ex minister yet it is on those that u've chosen to base your entire rant on, so what happens to the little matter of Economics? Isnt that what this entire argument is supposed to be about? You must have a wicked sense of humour to have mentioned her Finance minister of the year award when u're aware Soludo won CBN Gov of the year while nearly half the banks in the country were on life support, awards are no biggie i tell u -ask Cecilia Ibru!. I do not wish to disparage her accomplishments in any way -no doubt she's a great achiever - but my whole argument is that she isnt the best for the Position considering her affiliations and economic leanings and i'm still waiting to hear your reasons for thinking she's best for the position.  
Lastly, I wonder what it is about Gej that turns u off so badly, why are u so eager to term his adminstration a failure barely a month into its life, why r u so desperate to pick on his person with the least opportunity  u get? is your success dependent on his failure or is it just a favorite obsession of yours? Get a grip pls! ,

Sorry mate , you are a basket case . Where did I say Okonjo Iweala is "best for the position"? Please show I argued along that line or get lost !!!  I am merely arguing that even if GEJ wants her , she may not be interested in serving his administration for very obvious reasons to include some decisions GEJ has taken that shows the entire world that this is not the reformer Nigeria needs. Folks , Okonjo Iweala included , can now see that GEJ is a continuation of "business as usual" in so far as he want's to pander to the deleterious and selfish old ways that has gotten us where we are today !!!!!! That is the tragic reality apologists like you should face.

As for this:
why are u so eager to term his adminstration a failure barely a month into its life,
I must ask , are you on drugs? Jonathan is doing the very opposite of what some of the greatest financial minds on the globe , home and abroad, are advocating for us and you think I am the one with the problem? You are the person not willing , for one second , to see that GEJ does not possess the type of political will and uncompromised bravery Nigeria needs at this very moment. One has to wonder why it takes folks like you so long to get the 'koko of the matter'. Okonjo Iweala , like most of us, can see that Jonathan's agenda consist entirely of maintaining the status quo for the "owners of Nigeria". You would admit the same too if you actually see Nigeria more than you see the need to defend your incompetent kinsman blindly.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by mkpologwu(m): 12:21am On Jun 20, 2011
Ileke idi should be on d minstrl list as min. of ethno-biasal affairs!
Gbam!,b!!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 1:20am On Jun 20, 2011
Gbawe:

Sorry mate , you are a basket case . Where did I say Okonjo Iweala is "best for the position"? Please show I argued along that line or get lost !!!

Quote;
"Why will you not ungraciously insult Okonjo Iweala , because of your bias, even when every Nigerian should concede , unequivocally , that she is the sort needed because of how she performed previously when called upon to serve her Nation."

Bros, if your obviously bad case of selective amnesia has not gotten to u again u"d recognize the above as your very own words from your first post on this thread. Now if my argument was that Okonjo was not suitable for the job and u come up with a statement like that, what other rational inference was i or anyone that isnt clairvoyant like u supposed to draw?
Its sickening that u wld reduce this whole argument to one coloured by ethnic or regional sentiments. If that were true then i firmly ought to be in support of Okonjo as her paternal hometown is comparatively, a stone throw away from mine. With all due respect, I think u should be the one "Getting lost"!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Gbawe: 9:46am On Jun 20, 2011
wesley80:

Quote;
"Why will you not ungraciously insult  Okonjo Iweala , because of your bias, even when  every  Nigerian  should concede ,  unequivocally , that she is  the sort needed because of how she performed  previously when called upon to serve her Nation."

Bros, if your obviously bad case of selective amnesia has not gotten to u again u"d recognize the above as your very own words from your first post on this thread. Now if my argument was that Okonjo was not suitable for the job and u come up with a statement like that, what other rational inference was i or anyone that isnt clairvoyant like u supposed to draw?
Its sickening that u wld reduce this whole argument to one coloured by ethnic or regional sentiments. If that were true then i firmly ought to be in support of Okonjo as her paternal hometown is comparatively, a stone throw away from mine. With all due respect, I think u should be the one "Getting lost"!

Give it a rest mate. This is not the first time you have defended GEJ without recourse to common sense and logic. It is also not the first time you insult folks , make assumptions and fabricate things from god knows where to support your defence of GEJ. Your argument have all been incoherent and nonsensical to be honest. Bretton Woods ? The talk of a drowning man clutching at straws IMO. What has that got to do with this topic when , regardless of her current employment, we can simply consult history to see how Okonjo Iweala performed as Finance Minister of Nigeria in the past . Is that not what reasonable people will do instead of trying to malign her because of who she works for? What a sensible person would do is to show conclusively , rather than making mischievous and false inferences, that Okonjo Iweala acted like a fifth columnist or Bretton woods stooge when she was the finance Minister of Nigeria. Simple . You can't even do that . You prefer to ramble on irrelevantly. We should not judge Iweala with anything other than the record of how she performed the last time she was called upon to serve her Nation. That is what fair-minded and objective folks would do.

You then claim I respect her because she resigned from public office. I don't know what I have written to indicate that to you. As I said before, this is not the first time you are making wiild assumption to back your argument.

Next, you move on to say I should defend why I think she is best for the position. Comical fabrication. My argument , consistently, has been that Okonjo Iweala has solid reasons to reject working for GEJ. She was one of those , alongside many others, who consistently criticised GEJ's fiscal policy for a long time only to see Mr. President never ever doing anything decisive or positive in response. When the World , including Iweala, is saying shun profligacy, reduce recurrent expenditure, refrain from borrowing and trim down the cost of governance Iweala sees GEJ buying Airplanes, depleting the ECA ,disbanding PAC while announcing that a leaner Government is not possible, adding to Nigeria's debt profile, giving NNPC and corruption more chance to wreak havoc and 'dashing' Bianca Ojukwu a totally uneccesary[b] and entirely gratuitous position that will draw a Government salary[/b].  Why should she be keen to work for such a guy who acts as if protecting the status quo and pandering to deleterious practices of the past is everything to him? You should ask yourself if Jonathan's financial outlook is at all in consonance with that of other World leaders , many heading Nations far richer and less troubled than Nigeria, at this financially difficult period in World history. It is very obvious why Iweala may not be keen to work for GEJ. Trying to rubbish her because of her employer is, well,  rubbish.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 20, 2011
I want someone like Dr. Okonjo Iweala or Prof. Soludo to head the finance ministry and trim Mallam Sanusi to the confines of his office. It is only in Nigeria that the CBN governor runs the economy. This is the work of the Finance Mininster. Sanusi should be taught to concentrate on recapitalization of commercial banks and money matters only. Financial and economic planning is not under his purview. It is like our finance ministry has for long been occupied by novices.

Then we will see how maximum deposit/withdrawal will be fixed at 150k. Someone should warn that man oo!!!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by edogirl2: 10:56am On Jun 20, 2011
Would rather Aganga remain as Finance Minister.

Moving the Finance portfolio from hand to hand every 18mths isn't clever. Also, having one or two quiet workers in the cabinet, will serve us well.

Rabble rousers (favoured by Nigerians) who tell us how clever they are (they often aren't cleverer than the quiet ones), and how lucky we are to have them; who threaten to jump ship whenever the going gets tough 'cause Nigerians dont 'appreciate' them, aren't what we need right now. Mrs Okonjo & Soludo have had their time. There are other ways they can contribute to the Nigerian cause, if they wish to.

Let cool-guy Aganga continue his work quietly. His Sovereign Wealth Fund initiative is brilliant. Lets see it take shape.

Becoming a Managing Director of Goldman Sachs is no easier than becoming a Managing Director of the World Bank.

If you are a determined expert in your field and you hang around international bodies like the IMF, World Bank, UN etc long enough (25 - 30 yrs), and you are from a developing country, particularly Africa, you have a good chance of getting to the top. That's not to question Mrs Okonjo's leadership in her field, but we can't forget that her current position is zoned to a developing country, so she prob didnt face that much competition in landing that role. These institutions are often like the civil service- be smart & be around long enough & you have a good chance of 'hiting the magic number.'

She's brilliant yes, but so are many others. You don't become a Managing Director at the more fiercely competitive Goldman Sachs by being a dunce.

Let the quiet man get on with his job.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by mrjingles(m): 11:00am On Jun 20, 2011
okpara ugo:

I want someone like Dr. Okonjo Iweala or Prof. Soludo to head the finance ministry and trim Mallam Sanusi to the confines of his office. It is only in Nigeria that the CBN governor runs the economy. This is the work of the Finance Mininster. Sanusi should be taught to concentrate on recapitalization of commercial banks and money matters only. Financial and economic planning is not under his purview. It is like our finance ministry has for long been occupied by novices.

Then we will see how maximum deposit/withdrawal will be fixed at 150k. Someone should warn that man oo!!!

Excuse me sir, but there is a clear difference in roles, CBN handles Monetary policy while fiscal policy resides with the ministry of finance.If you leaf through O.A Lawal you will understand this simple difference. There's nothing Sanusi has done that is outside his purview, besides Aganga has done a decent job so far.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by 1025: 11:29am On Jun 20, 2011
okonjo iweala MUST stay away from these destiny killers(pdp) before they tarnish her image. if dora had listened to me, she for no be the useless dora wey she be now. look at soludo, he is as useless as pdp now.
please let someone tell iweala to stay away from pdp because they will do her more harm than good.
the party and their govt are fraud.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 20, 2011
Guys, let's just be reasonable for a minute.

Edo.girl wrote:
"Becoming a Managing Director of Goldman Sachs is
no easier than becoming a Managing Director of the
World Bank.
If you are a determined expert in your field and you
hang around international bodies like the IMF, World
Bank, UN etc long enough (25 - 30 yrs), and you are
from a developing country, particularly Africa, you
have a good chance of getting to the top. That's not
to question Mrs Okonjo's leadership in her field, but
we can't forget that her current position is zonedto
a developing country, so she prob didnt face that
much competition in landing that role. These
institutions are often like the civil service- be smart &
be around long enough & you have a good chance of
'hiting the magic number.'
She's brilliant yes, but so are many others. You don't
become a Managing Director at the more fiercely
competitive Goldman Sachs by being a dunce."

You fall my hand o. Seriously. So you think it's beans to spend that length of time at an organization and then rise to the top and not be duly credited for your accomplishments? The irony is lost on you.

So how do you substantiate your claim that Okonjo-Iweala didn't face "that much competition in landing that role" even if the role was "zoned" as you say? Are you even aware that over 350 candidates with similar qualifications usually apply for the senior positions (from specialists grades to DDGs and DGS) at any one UN arm (and that includes the World Bank)? And we are talking of sophisticated track records, not just possessing a Masters degree or a Ph.D.

Like you said becoming MD at Goldman Sachs ain't no easier than becoming MD at World Bank. Following this train of thought, what qualifications do you think you'll need to possess as a candidate applying for these positions in either establishments?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 1:42pm On Jun 20, 2011
@Edo girl
Thanks for such a brilliant take on the issue. I concur with u a 100%

Gbawe:

Give it a rest mate. This is not the first time you have defended GEJ without recourse to common sense and logic. It is also not the first time you insult folks , make assumptions and fabricate things from god knows where to support your defence of GEJ. Your argument have all been incoherent and nonsensical to be honest. Bretton Woods ? The talk of a drowning man clutching at straws IMO. What has that got to do with this topic when , regardless of her current employment, we can simply consult history to see how Okonjo Iweala performed as Finance Minister of Nigeria in the past . Is that not what reasonable people will do instead of trying to malign her because of who she works for? What a sensible person would do is to show conclusively , rather than making mischievous and false inferences, that Okonjo Iweala acted like a fifth columnist or Bretton woods stooge when she was the finance Minister of Nigeria. Simple . You can't even do that . You prefer to ramble on irrelevantly. We should not judge Iweala with anything other than the record of how she performed the last time she was called upon to serve her Nation. That is what fair-minded and objective folks would do.

You then claim I respect her because she resigned from public office. I don't know what I have written to indicate that to you. As I said before, this is not the first time you are making wiild assumption to back your argument.

Next, you move on to say I should defend why I think she is best for the position. Comical fabrication. My argument , consistently, has been that Okonjo Iweala has solid reasons to reject working for GEJ. She was one of those , alongside many others, who consistently criticised GEJ's fiscal policy for a long time only to see Mr. President never ever doing anything decisive or positive in response. When the World , including Iweala, is saying shun profligacy, reduce recurrent expenditure, refrain from borrowing and trim down the cost of governance Iweala sees GEJ buying Airplanes, depleting the ECA ,disbanding PAC while announcing that a leaner Government is not possible, adding to Nigeria's debt profile, giving NNPC and corruption more chance to wreak havoc and 'dashing' Bianca Ojukwu a totally uneccesary[b] and entirely gratuitous position that will draw a Government salary[/b].  Why should she be keen to work for such a guy who acts as if protecting the status quo and pandering to deleterious practices of the past is everything to him? You should ask yourself if Jonathan's financial outlook is at all in consonance with that of other World leaders , many heading Nations far richer and less troubled than Nigeria, at this financially difficult period in World history. It is very obvious why Iweala may not be keen to work for GEJ. Trying to rubbish her because of her employer is, well,  rubbish.

Luckily for u, I do not have the stomach for a fight so Goodluck grin with your unwarranted jibes.
My whole point is and has always been that Iweala is an apostle of Western styled Economics as handed down by Western nations and prescribed by the Bretton Woods institutions (IMF & Worldbank) as she demonstrated with the Debt forgiveness episode which u and most of her followers hail as her biggest achievement while in office. An apostle of such Western styled Economics wldnt be best suited to man our Finance ministry IMO, and thats what I've been saying all along. Now have I made any sense YET to u yet again? Will u now choose to address the issue at hand instead of dwelling on inanities which seems to be a hobby of yours?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by KnowAll(m): 1:57pm On Jun 20, 2011
The World Bank job is not worth the accolades some of us seem to heap over such a non-representative institution that gets funded by the G8 Countries. They are not accountable to any one and spend the money dispensed to them willy-nilly doing the dirt on 3rd world countries and emerging economies (hence why the World Bank said that Nigeria was still an under-borrowing country) The executives in the world bank have too much free time to indulge in all kind of exigencies

They are not any different from their sister organisation the “  IMF” whose leader were  caught trying their  latest sadomachostic trick on a poor African immigrant
lady from Guinea.

What is Ngozi’s past time in this gentlemen’s club obviously each person would carve out his or her own niche and fantasy,  I think Ngozi’s seem to be a  penchant of going AWOL(Absence without Leave)whilst still drawing her wages from these undemocratic and non-profitable international organisation.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by bisiaet: 2:15pm On Jun 20, 2011
It always surprise me when they talk about screening please screening who? SSS screening Okonjo? As a matter of fact she is even the one to screen the SSS.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 3:10pm On Jun 20, 2011
KnowAll:

[b]The World Bank job is not worth the accolades some of us seem to heap over such a non-representative institution that gets funded by the G8 Countries. They are not accountable to any one and spend the money dispensed to them willy-nilly doing the dirt on 3rd world countries and emerging economies (hence why the World Bank said that Nigeria was still an under-borrowing country) The executives in the world bank have too much free time to indulge in all kind of exigencies

Thanks a lot. Please help me shout this into @Gbawe's left ear, dont worry that should be the good one cos i've nearly shouted myself hoarse trying to communicate by speaking into his left ear!
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2011
The World Bank job is not worth the accolades some of us seem to heap over such a non-representative institution that gets funded by the G8 Countries. They are not accountable to any one and spend the money dispensed to them willy-nilly doing the dirt on 3rd world countries and emerging economies (hence why the World Bank said that Nigeria was still an under-borrowing country) The executives in the world bank have too much free time to indulge in all kind of exigencies

They are not any different from their sister organisation the “  IMF” whose leader were  caught trying their  latest sadomachostic trick on a poor African immigrant lady from Guinea.

Come on, at least provide credible points to support your argument. By the way, do you think the WHO is a representative institution or accountable to any establishment? Or the ILO, or WIPO, or any other Int'l NGO for that matter?

Your first question should have been "to whom should they be accountable and how"? You should read the charter establishing these institutions first of all before jumping to conclusions. Yes, while some policies of these organisations can be harmful to countries, still it's not like they force these policies down the throats of governments? And I don't think I've seen them take a "take it or leave it" stance? Plus, there are accountability mechanisms. You just haven't done enough research to know that. Don't go about making blanket statements that you clearly can't defend simply because you don't like something.

The executives have too much free time? Puh-leeeeease!! Even Bill Clinton had too much time for Monica Lewinsky, as is the current Weinergate. So what's your point? Let World Bank call you and tell me you won't run to accept the offer.
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by ikennabru: 4:51pm On Jun 21, 2011
which way nigeria,which way to go,
I love my father land, ,I love to go,
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by chykeo1(m): 5:55pm On Jun 21, 2011
", in Enugu against the hope that former Aviation Minister, Mrs. Fidelia Njeze would return to the new cabinet, the name of Prof Bath Nnaji appeared. In Abia State, Okonjo- Iweala is being penciled down against Onyema Ugochukwu."

Is this the FRESH AIR, ?
Re: Dr. Okonjo-Iweala Fails To Show Up For Screening by wesley80(m): 12:02pm On Jan 05, 2012
Since its now in vogue to pick on the finance minister, perhaps we should also cast our minds back a bit and recall those self acclaimed all round analyst that chose to ignore the warning signs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Markert Can I Buy Provisions At Cheap Price / Ideas: Business With Startup Of N400,000 / Please Why Is Euro Going Down, When 'll It Rise Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.