Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu (6032 Views)

Bristow Helicopters Releases Statement On Crashed Aircraft / Embarrassing Way Some Nigerians Boarded An Aircraft Today / Anenih, Akunyili Stranded In Abuja After Arik Aircraft's Toilet Fails To Flush (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by splashbaby(m): 2:03am On Jun 21, 2011
ENUGU – WHAT would have been a tragic air disaster was averted, Monday, when an Arik aircraft scheduled to fly Enugu to Abuja by 8.50am almost crashed four minutes after take-off from Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu.

The over 100 passengers on board would have perished if the pilot had not turned round and made an emergency landing.

Captain of the Boeing 737-800 aircraft with registration number F-MJK, whose name could not be ascertained, was quoted to have said he turned back to the airport when he noticed that the right engine had failed.

Meanwhile, speaking to aviation correspondents in Lagos on the incident, Dr. Harold Demuren, Director-General of Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, said the air return was necessitated by the indicator in the cockpit, adding that it was the best option the pilot took to avoid a fatal accident.

He said: “The pilot took a precautionary measure to ensure safety of the passengers.”

Spokesman of Arik Air, Mr. Ola Banji, said: “What happened was that the captain noticed an indication light on and had to make an air return as a precautionary measure.

“At no time was the lives of the passengers put in danger.”

However, NCAA has already grounded the aircraft until it is certified to fly again.

http://imostate..com/2011/06/arik-aircraft-in-near-mishap-in-enugu.html
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by HighChief4(m): 2:27am On Jun 21, 2011
Thank God
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Jakumo(m): 6:17am On Jun 21, 2011
This was no "near-crash".

An "engine out on takeoff" scenario falls under the Abnormal Procedures sub-section of the Flight Crew Operating Manual, which the captain of this 737 evidently followed to the letter, by circling around right away to land.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by dempeople(m): 7:52am On Jun 21, 2011
Thank God. We've had a lot of bad news already to have this.

On a different note, Arik has quite a lot of problems with human resources and finances. This was an airline that had it all going for them. I was really looking forward to the delivery of the tripple 7s but not anymore.

Its rumoured they'll close business this year. Infact, very soon.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by dustydee: 9:54am On Jun 21, 2011
splashbaby:

ENUGU – WHAT would have been a tragic air disaster was averted, Monday, when an Arik aircraft scheduled to fly Enugu to Abuja by 8.50am almost crashed four minutes after take-off from Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu.

The over 100 passengers on board would have perished if the pilot had not turned round and made an emergency landing.

Captain of the Boeing 737-800 aircraft with registration number F-MJK, whose name could not be ascertained, was quoted to have said he turned back to the airport when he noticed that the right engine had failed.

Meanwhile, speaking to aviation correspondents in Lagos on the incident, Dr. Harold Demuren, Director-General of Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, said the air return was necessitated by the indicator in the cockpit, adding that it was the best option the pilot took to avoid a fatal accident.

He said: “The pilot took a precautionary measure to ensure safety of the passengers.”

Spokesman of Arik Air, Mr. Ola Banji, said: “What happened was that the captain noticed an indication light on and had to make an air return as a precautionary measure.

However, NCAA has already grounded the aircraft until it is certified to fly again.

says who? Is it no longer possible to fly an aircraft with a single engine? the pilot returned as a precautionary measure and there was no indication that the second engine failed or would have failed.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Nobody: 11:50am On Jun 21, 2011
Jakumo:

An "engine out on takeoff" scenario falls under the Abnormal Procedures sub-section of the Flight Crew Operating Manual, which the captain of this 737 evidently followed to the letter, by circling around right away to land.

Dont mind them, people who dont know anything about airplanes will come here to type bullshits, planes this days are designed to fly with one Engine when the other fails, u just need to follow the procedures to return back to airport
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by segzy2000: 12:22pm On Jun 21, 2011
To be candid,ARIK could have issues even as govt could,but d company as far as aviatn is concern,its stil d best.lets encourage our own and pray 4 them.i think precaution is the word.i give kudos 2 d captain,he is a Hero.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by seedord247(m): 12:28pm On Jun 21, 2011
Baba Ose . . . .
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by sirp2007: 12:40pm On Jun 21, 2011
Arik should take time,they hv been having so many issues lately.And again we dont want any avoidable disaster in 9ja again.
we hv nt recovered 4rm force H/Q bombing.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Reference(m): 12:46pm On Jun 21, 2011
Jakumo:

Thanks for the fresh air. Reporters and their sensationalism. Nearly died indeed. That was standard operating procedure, nothing else. That aircraft can safely fly with one engine.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by rolchi(m): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2011
@Jakumo:

Thanks for the info sha. But Arik should be very careful oh! We are watching youuu cheesy
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by kandiikane(m): 1:10pm On Jun 21, 2011
With all that said:
Review:
Arik's journey from Gambia via Sierra Leone to Nigeria was not really what I expected. The plane was very very bumpy (I know Africa weather contributed to it) and I was sick throughout the whole journey(cabin air maybe) The food was rubbish(even with a huge leg room)  and when they say 6:00 they really mean 7:00 all in all-Worst Ever Plane journey
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jun 21, 2011
kandiikane:

With all that said:
Review:
Arik's journey from Gambia via Sierra Leone to Nigeria was not really what I expected. The plane was very very bumpy (I know Africa weather contributed to it) and I was sick throughout the whole journey(cabin air maybe) The food was rubbish(even with a huge leg room)  and when they say 6:00 they really mean 7:00 all in all-Worst Ever Plane journey

Just because you have a bumpy ride which i experience sometimes dont mean they are the cause, about food, what type do you expect, infact best way to avoid of complaining of foods is not to accept it, even in Emirates Airline, their food na Kleg
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Gbenge77(m): 1:40pm On Jun 21, 2011
Arik is always in the news for the wrong reasons.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by MMM2(m): 1:54pm On Jun 21, 2011
we thank u lord.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by gungume: 2:04pm On Jun 21, 2011
Why nigerians valued tokumbo vehicles? it is only in nigeria that tokumbo aeroplanes are allowep to take passenger which is highly disastrous!.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Tzulu(f): 2:12pm On Jun 21, 2011
I think the pilot was trying to avoid what happened to his colleagues last month when NCAA seized their licenses for flying Arik Boeing 737-700 aircraft with 69 passengers, from Owerri to Lagos on one engine. The other engine was said to have been destroyed by a bird strike. As for sensationalizing the report; Nigerians' experience in air mishaps in last five years was terrible so let us shout any little friction on the roof top.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by kandiikane(m): 2:19pm On Jun 21, 2011
odiaero:

Just because you have a bumpy ride which i experience sometimes dont mean they are the cause, about food, what type do you expect, infact best way to avoid of complaining of foods is not to accept it, even in Emirates Airline, their food na Kleg
Did you read my review properly?
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Geomel: 2:20pm On Jun 21, 2011
That is a good News to all Nigeria.
www.geomelassoc..com
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Nobody: 2:27pm On Jun 21, 2011
gungume:

Why nigerians valued tokumbo vehicles? it is only in nigeria that tokumbo aeroplanes are allowep to take passenger which is highly disastrous!.

I see u no nothing at all, who told you the plane is Tokumbo? Brand New man
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by LKRavitz(m): 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2011
non news
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 21, 2011
Tzulu:

I think the pilot was trying to avoid what happened to his colleagues last month when NCAA seized their licenses for flying Arik Boeing 737-700 aircraft with 69 passengers, from Owerri to Lagos on one engine. The other engine was said to have been destroyed by a bird strike. As for sensationalizing the report; Nigerians' experience in air mishaps in last five years was terrible so let us shout any little friction on the roof top.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by OmoTier1(m): 2:40pm On Jun 21, 2011
Tzulu:

what sort of nonsense is this? since when did NCAA have powers to seize pilot's license?
Heaven! I bet that story was another "our inside source" reporting of nigeria's half baked journalist.

NCAA can only ground planes, and its take a body decision for a pilot license to be suspended - surly not for the stupid reasons you gave above - Duno when OEO in flight became a serious professional misconduct?

I do not see why one engine in-op in flight should be a problem to warrant NCAA taking such a drastic action.

1 Like

Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 21, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

what sort of nonsense is this? since when did NCAA have powers to seize pilot's license?
Heaven! I bet that story was another "our inside source" reporting of nigeria's half baked journalist.

NCAA can only ground planes, and its take a body decision for a pilot license to be suspended - surly not for the silly reasons you gave above - Duno when OEO in flight became a serious professional misconduct?

I do not see why one engine in-op in flight should be a problem to warrant NCAA taking such a drastic action.

Why are u replying him? Let him keep lieing
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by FlyboyZee: 2:47pm On Jun 21, 2011
splashbaby:

Arik still dey owe me refund for my flight wey I miss for over 1 year now. Dem toss me from Abuja to Lagos to Benin, back to Lagos and then Abuja and finally to Lagos for just N36,000.00. Even if their plane no crash, me don talk am say I no follow dem fly again. SHIKENA!
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by rasputinn(m): 3:00pm On Jun 21, 2011
splashbaby:

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Ignorant Nigerian journalists with their sensationalism angry angry
So just because an engine in a Boeing 737-800(which has two engines) failed,then the passengers would have perished.Ignorance is truly a disease.
If not for the fact that the pilot decided to make an air return,in compliance with the abnormal take off procedure(which is not even mandatory in this case)he could well have continued safely with the flight to Abuja,as any other pilot would have done
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by shakers(m): 4:43pm On Jun 21, 2011
those of you saying the plane was not in any danger, what if the second one had failed also when they were in the air? the pilot did the right thing simple,
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by denitro(m): 4:54pm On Jun 21, 2011
Your title is misleading
Since multi-engine airplanes are designed to fly with one engine inoperative and flight crews are trained to fly with one engine inoperative.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by sandee575(f): 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2011
Nairaland must boast of the most ill-informed aviation analysts in the entire world.
Must everybody claim to be in the know? So much rubbish talk,
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by crux84: 6:14pm On Jun 21, 2011
My brother was on that flight. both engines failed and the pilot had to dump fuel.
Re: Arik Aircraft In Near Mishap In Enugu by EuroMeko(m): 6:42pm On Jun 21, 2011
crux84:

My brother was on that flight. both engines failed and the pilot had to dump fuel.

Hogwash, it's almost unheard of though not impossible for an airliner to loose power to both engines (a 747 lost power to all 4 engines when it flew through volcanic ash). Even if your Brothers flight lost power to all engines, the last thing on the Pilots mind is dumping fuel. They simply wouldn't have time to reach that part of the emergency checklist.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anyone Studying In Lithuania? / Pic-aba may be Neglected But Not A Total Disappiontment. / Man Designed Off-road Wheel Chair For Wife To Go Places And People Are Demanding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.