Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,009 members, 7,817,976 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion (8064 Views)

Kogi Seals Dangote Cement Factory Over Tax Evasion, Debt (Pictures) / Military Releases 1,009 Ex-Boko Haram Fighters To Borno Government / Borno Government Suspends Lockdown Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by kayusely70(m): 4:37pm On Jan 26, 2022
okawanyi:
For coming to help your region salvage what you guys caused?
They're ungrateful elements!
Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by geosegun(m): 4:44pm On Jan 26, 2022
socialmediaman:

You're wrong about that. In developed countries, people have the option to take care of their income taxes themselves rather than have it deducted from source. Some people do this especially when they are citizens of other countries and pay tax also in their home countries. You see why you shouldn't be quick to call people ignorant when clearly you are as well?

Your are the one that is totally wrong. Where are you based? are you working within Nigeria or Outside Nigeria? The only people that pay back is if they are not resident in the country and on assignment temporarily. Most do write their home country to suspend paying tax until their return.

The only people who file their taxes, especially in UK are contractors, and last year they have to go through govt supported IR35. The US people file tax after the end of the year to get some money back. Meaning, the money has been deducted from the source already, they are just claiming some income tax excesses back.

No serious government will rely on people to start paying taxes after they have received their pay.

The UN is not a contractor but a charity organization whose staff is legally expected to pay income tax in any country where they are located. So what are you talking about?
Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by JayB11(m): 5:33pm On Jan 26, 2022
SeriouslySense:
i was wondering the same thought.

Pay As You Earn (PAYE) just as it was explained above is been deducted from taxable income like salaries paid to every Earner collecting the sum of 30K (threshold for PAYE in Naija, as in what you must be earning before PAYE is applicable is 30K). So what Borno Govt is saying that those UN Agencies are evading tax (note that about 80 percent of their staff strength are Nigerians).

With-Holding tax on the other hand is applicable to contracts, as in supplies made to those UN Agencies. Moreso, 7.5 percent of VAT needs to be also paid......

It is usually huge sum of money, the Borno Govt doesn't wanna miss out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Yusufisraelj(m): 7:08pm On Jan 26, 2022
obynzo:
Do these people know what they are talking about? UN is not revenue generating and it is classed along the international agencies that are Tax exempt

Say's who? Do you know how much FG remits every year along side other countries.

1 Like

Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jan 26, 2022
Yusufisraelj:

Say's who? Do you know how much FG remits every year along side other countries.

Bro this is a fact these agencies are tax exempt the same with AFREXIM and AfDb.
Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Bantu10: 9:42pm On Jan 26, 2022
Chartey:

It's unbelievable that the HR and Finance/Compliance departments of all the 7 UN organisations are not remitting tax of their staff. Totally unbelievable.

INGOs in Nigeria take extra to make sure that all statutory deductions like tax, NHF, pension as well as welfare benefits like health insurance are properly paid. So now imagine a whole UN with the best compliance, finance and HR departments not doing that. Very very unlikely.

There's just more to it. The state government has been increasingly hostile to NGOs recently for reasons best known to them. The federal government needs to get involved before Borno state government will cause problems for Nigeria in securing humanitarian aid going forward.

No bro, it's a common knowledge in the humanitarian world that UN staff does not pay tax nor pension. Unlike other humanitarian organizations here (even the ones with diplomatic status), they do not with hold Payee tax nor statutory pension deductions from their staff salaries, Reason why their take home salary is always huge. I work with an iNGO and my sis works for a UN agency here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by chymes0359(m): 9:46pm On Jan 26, 2022
HonNL:

SOURCE

UN is Tax exempted.

They are humanitarians that habours all International amd local NGO.

But wait o!
Why will they even pay you tax with project that they are doing for you people free.
From Non Essential Food Items (NFI's) , WASH, Foods, Health, Shelter etc..
For the state you guys so much ravished with self religious and tribalistic destruction of life, properites and displacement of indegenes that are still in camp helping the insurgents with food materials and essentials supplies

Am shaking my head... cry cry
Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Chartey(m): 10:09pm On Jan 26, 2022
Bantu10:

No bro, it's a common knowledge in the humanitarian world that UN staff does not pay tax nor pension. Unlike other humanitarian organizations here (even the ones with diplomatic status), they do not with hold Payee tax nor statutory pension deductions from their staff salaries, Reason why their take home salary is always huge. I work with an iNGO and my sis works for a UN agency here in Nigeria.

Yeah, true. Confirmed from a colleague.
Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Trustedpronet: 1:50pm On Jan 27, 2022
brunxy:
quota system professor ����

No be lie
Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Yusufisraelj(m): 1:55pm On Jan 27, 2022
obynzo:

Bro this is a fact these agencies are tax exempt the same with AFREXIM and AfDb.

The last time I checked FG pays 4 billion naira to the United Nations. I understand that since they offer humanitarian services they should be considered, but that's not the case my brother.

1 Like

Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 27, 2022
Yusufisraelj:

The last time I checked FG pays 4 billion naira to the United Nations. I understand that since they offer humanitarian services they should be considered, but that's not the case my brother.

Ok ohhhh

1 Like

Re: Borno Government To Seize 7 UN Properties Over Tax Evasion by Bullhari: 4:28pm On Jan 31, 2022
tobtap:
UN no wan pay tax…. Kwaruption everywhere

UN staff are exempted from tax payments because they are humanitarian. Same way some staff of UN agencies are entitled to the Red (diplomatic) passport.

BO-IRS will lose the case. They are ingrates

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Presidential Appointments: Buhari’s Ministerial List Latest Update / US, Isreal Gives Buhari 7 Days To Re Instate CJN. Threaten Military Action. / CCB Invites Magu Over Alleged Assets Fraud

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.