Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,559 members, 7,850,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:50 AM

Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief (9605 Views)

As Russia Wages War, US Army Trains Officers On Gender Identity(Pics) / Afghan Army Getting Training From US Army Live From Kabul (Funny Video) / Ghanaian Army Chief Orders "Shoot-to-kill" On Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by WibusJaga: 4:52pm On Feb 05, 2022
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Nobody: 4:53pm On Feb 05, 2022
ButterBurger:
Democracy is not meant for Africa.

Africa has no any suitable system to adopt.

The past system is impossible now because Africans are not spiritualists as before.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by tenpipsperday: 4:56pm On Feb 05, 2022
DrGoodman:
Coups happen because of greed. And a former coupist is still leading in some countries?

You are wrong. Coups happen because of bad government. Why is it that in most cases people rejoice when there's coup. Show me a country where people are enjoying the government and suddenly there's coup and people rejoice.

It is bad governance that breeds corruption and corruption breeds greed.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Tapout(m): 5:03pm On Feb 05, 2022
Evidenx:
MORE LOADING....EXPECT THAT OF NIGERIA SOON

Lol..I was telling my colleague that a coup will never take place in Nigeria under a democratic system of government and you know why?? Because of Corruption and "The manner these service chiefs are appointed into office." Change that, then we might have one.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Evidenx(m): 5:15pm On Feb 05, 2022
Tapout:

Lol..I was telling my colleague that a coup will never take place in Nigeria under a democratic system of government and you know why?? Because of Corruption and "The manner these service chiefs are appointed into office." Change that, then we might have one.
Watch and see how God will empower young military guys to take over Nigeria.

Just watch and see ..THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL SOON BE POSSIBLE.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by sonofElElyon: 5:18pm On Feb 05, 2022
DrGoodman:
Coups happen because of greed. And a former coupist is still leading in some countries?

It is only a crime if it fails.. like in equatorial guinea just recently
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 05, 2022
vedaxcool:
Or the West keeps destabilising and sponsoring these coups once a leader refuse to do their bidding?

They Africans are Dumbs as they were before.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by ButterBurger: 6:17pm On Feb 05, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Africa has no any suitable system to adopt.

The past system is impossible now because Africans are not spiritualists as before.
many Africans are still spiritualist, where you don reach.
Look I know democracy brings technology but it's certainly not meant for Africa, na monarchy for good for all Africans but too many tribalism self even inside divided religions
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by tolaswim: 6:39pm On Feb 05, 2022
That's simple truth
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by tonididdy(m): 8:26pm On Feb 05, 2022
Na 9ja be nxt!
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by engrchykae(m): 9:20pm On Feb 05, 2022
Omooba77:
The Commander, United State of America African Command, General Stephen Townsend, has attributed the spate of coups in some African Countries to lack of good governance and corruption.

In the last 18 months, the military has seized power in Mali, Chad, Sudan and Burkina Faso.

Speaking during a virtual press briefing on Thursday, Townsend disclosed that the US government and military frowned on the development, saying that it was undermining democracy in the continent.

He said, “Soldiers are undermining democracy in Africa. I cannot tell you why there are so many coups in Africa, I think the continent has enjoyed over 20 years of irregular and unconstitutional change of government but in the last year we have seen a number of them, I don’t know why all that is but it has to do with lack of good governance and corruption.

“The US does not support and condone unconstitutional change of government and the broader effect they have on democracy and the progress of democracy but I think the lack of good governance and corruption are behind much of that.”

Townsend also lamented the expansion of the Islamic State fighters in many African countries.

Read AlsoECOWAS: No excuse for change of government by coup —OsinbajoCoup: Osinbajo in Accra for ECOWAS meeting on Burkina Faso, Mali, GuineaUPDATED: Mane scores as Senegal beat Burkina Faso 3-1 to reach AFCON final

He said, “Military intervention alone cannot end the expansion and the attacks carried out by these terrorist groups, adding that it should be supported by good governance and development.

“ISIS groups continue to expand, crippling towards coastal states and we have seen recent attacks in Togo and Ivory Coast, to me this attack shows the expansion and we are concerned about it.

“While military intervention is only part of the solution to this problem which we would continue to help local forces, we have had tactical success but we have to have the support of good governance and development as long as we don’t have this, I think the terrorists would continue to take advantage of this and continue to expand.”

https://punchng.com/bad-governance-corruption-responsible-for-coups-in-africa-us-army-chief/
The reason for coups in Africa is simply because of neocolonialists' economic interest.
Simple as that and US africom is at the forefront of all these coups.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by engrchykae(m): 9:24pm On Feb 05, 2022
Brushstrokes20:
Spot on! Africa is cursed with useless, self serving, redundant, bloodthirsty, kleptomaniacs RULERS masquerading as leaders undecided... The shithole included!
I disagree with you.
The west have their criminals in prisons while Africa have our criminals in palaces.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by engrchykae(m): 9:30pm On Feb 05, 2022
ButterBurger:
Democracy is not meant for Africa.
igbos are core democrats.
The problem is the imperialists dictates to us what is democracy and what is not.
Imagine France teaching Rwanda democracy and human rights when Rwanda 1994 happened understand France nose, France just withdrew their personnel outa Rwanda and let Rwanda burn.
Now France is disturbing Paul kagame up and down simply because the guy is making Rwanda Great
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by panafrican(m): 10:19pm On Feb 05, 2022
Omooba77:
The Commander, United State of America African Command, General Stephen Townsend, has attributed the spate of coups in some African Countries to lack of good governance and corruption.

In the last 18 months, the military has seized power in Mali, Chad, Sudan and Burkina Faso.

Speaking during a virtual press briefing on Thursday, Townsend disclosed that the US government and military frowned on the development, saying that it was undermining democracy in the continent.

He said, “Soldiers are undermining democracy in Africa. I cannot tell you why there are so many coups in Africa, I think the continent has enjoyed over 20 years of irregular and unconstitutional change of government but in the last year we have seen a number of them, I don’t know why all that is but it has to do with lack of good governance and corruption.

“The US does not support and condone unconstitutional change of government and the broader effect they have on democracy and the progress of democracy but I think the lack of good governance and corruption are behind much of that.”

Townsend also lamented the expansion of the Islamic State fighters in many African countries.

Read AlsoECOWAS: No excuse for change of government by coup —OsinbajoCoup: Osinbajo in Accra for ECOWAS meeting on Burkina Faso, Mali, GuineaUPDATED: Mane scores as Senegal beat Burkina Faso 3-1 to reach AFCON final

He said, “Military intervention alone cannot end the expansion and the attacks carried out by these terrorist groups, adding that it should be supported by good governance and development.

“ISIS groups continue to expand, crippling towards coastal states and we have seen recent attacks in Togo and Ivory Coast, to me this attack shows the expansion and we are concerned about it.

“While military intervention is only part of the solution to this problem which we would continue to help local forces, we have had tactical success but we have to have the support of good governance and development as long as we don’t have this, I think the terrorists would continue to take advantage of this and continue to expand.”

https://punchng.com/bad-governance-corruption-responsible-for-coups-in-africa-us-army-chief/
Pretty consistent with the revolutionist spirit of the US declaration of independence.

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by helinues: 10:57pm On Feb 05, 2022
1790ninety:
[s][/s]

In futility.. make I quickly switch and skekinini
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by walemoney007(m): 11:43pm On Feb 05, 2022
Amodi470:
With all due respect General, I disagree with you
Why?
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by ButterBurger: 8:50am On Feb 06, 2022
engrchykae:
igbos are core democrats.
The problem is the imperialists dictates to us what is democracy and what is not.
Imagine France teaching Rwanda democracy and human rights when Rwanda 1994 happened understand France nose, France just withdrew their personnel outa Rwanda and let Rwanda burn.
Now France is disturbing Paul kagame up and down simply because the guy is making Rwanda Great
that's your own opinion
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Moradeyo95: 10:16am On Feb 06, 2022
JosephXavier:
I still don't understand why a country with the worst terrible leadership that it has had and will ever have in its history didn't experience a coup

The leadership wasn't this bad back in the days when they were staging coups and counter coups in the past

Nigerian military only target the citizens and can't help enforce good leadership

They just can't learn from their mates
....omo its not just bad governance bro.....africans are generally not too involved in politics....we have the highest rate vote apathy in the world...we dont want to be involved thats why we see coups and bad governance too....look at europe...they have bad governance too they have corruptions too...infact na dem teach us sef...but their masses are very very much interested in what goes in the top office of the nation..
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by engrchykae(m): 12:28am On Feb 07, 2022
ButterBurger:
that's your own opinion
Your problem is that you are not capable of intelligent discussion
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by ButterBurger: 5:47am On Feb 07, 2022
engrchykae:
Your problem is that you are not capable of intelligent discussion
there's nothing intelligent about your discussion, I already weighed the mass of your intellect it's below 1kg. That's your problem
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by engrchykae(m): 1:19am On Feb 08, 2022
ButterBurger:
there's nothing intelligent about your discussion, I already weighed the mass of your intellect it's below 1kg. That's your problem
you are intellectually lazy.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by ButterBurger: 6:32am On Feb 08, 2022
engrchykae:
you are intellectually lazy.
you are one of the lazy people that calls others lazy. I've come to realize it that the people that calls others lazy are the very lazy ones, obviously you and your president are best examples.
You're practically useless
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by engrchykae(m): 3:22am On Feb 09, 2022
ButterBurger:
you are one of the lazy people that calls others lazy. I've come to realize it that the people that calls others lazy are the very lazy ones, obviously you and your president are best examples.
You're practically useless
I repeat.
YOU ARE INTELLECTUALLY LAZY.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by ButterBurger: 3:53am On Feb 09, 2022
engrchykae:
I repeat.
YOU ARE INTELLECTUALLY LAZY.
you're intellectually lazy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Director Of Budget Caught On Camera Having Sex With Her Driver(video) / Mikhail Gorbachev: Buhari, World Leaders Pay Tribute To ex-Soviet Leader / Footage Of Ghaddafi In His Last Moments Getting Beat Up. Disturbing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.