Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,264 members, 7,829,539 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief (9593 Views)

As Russia Wages War, US Army Trains Officers On Gender Identity(Pics) / Afghan Army Getting Training From US Army Live From Kabul (Funny Video) / Ghanaian Army Chief Orders "Shoot-to-kill" On Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Omooba77: 12:11pm On Feb 04, 2022
The Commander, United State of America African Command, General Stephen Townsend, has attributed the spate of coups in some African Countries to lack of good governance and corruption.

In the last 18 months, the military has seized power in Mali, Chad, Sudan and Burkina Faso.

Speaking during a virtual press briefing on Thursday, Townsend disclosed that the US government and military frowned on the development, saying that it was undermining democracy in the continent.

He said, “Soldiers are undermining democracy in Africa. I cannot tell you why there are so many coups in Africa, I think the continent has enjoyed over 20 years of irregular and unconstitutional change of government but in the last year we have seen a number of them, I don’t know why all that is but it has to do with lack of good governance and corruption.

“The US does not support and condone unconstitutional change of government and the broader effect they have on democracy and the progress of democracy but I think the lack of good governance and corruption are behind much of that.”

Townsend also lamented the expansion of the Islamic State fighters in many African countries.

Read AlsoECOWAS: No excuse for change of government by coup —OsinbajoCoup: Osinbajo in Accra for ECOWAS meeting on Burkina Faso, Mali, GuineaUPDATED: Mane scores as Senegal beat Burkina Faso 3-1 to reach AFCON final

He said, “Military intervention alone cannot end the expansion and the attacks carried out by these terrorist groups, adding that it should be supported by good governance and development.

“ISIS groups continue to expand, crippling towards coastal states and we have seen recent attacks in Togo and Ivory Coast, to me this attack shows the expansion and we are concerned about it.

“While military intervention is only part of the solution to this problem which we would continue to help local forces, we have had tactical success but we have to have the support of good governance and development as long as we don’t have this, I think the terrorists would continue to take advantage of this and continue to expand.”

https://punchng.com/bad-governance-corruption-responsible-for-coups-in-africa-us-army-chief/

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by DrGoodman: 12:12pm On Feb 04, 2022
Coups happen because of greed. And a former coupist is still leading in some countries?

25 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Omooba77: 1:06pm On Feb 04, 2022
DrGoodman:
Coups happen because of greed. And a former coupist is still leading in some countries?

Because they will always claim democrats....

8 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Valkrie: 9:16pm On Feb 04, 2022
Omooba77:

Because they will always claim democrats....

But is that not the case...?

3 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Omooba77: 3:18pm On Feb 05, 2022
Lalasticlala do we have bad government?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Ogaga87(m): 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
The man has said what I have in mind

47 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by atdscentofwater: 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
kind of true.

5 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by JONNYSPUTE(m): 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
.....Well said

5 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by JosephXavier: 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
I still don't understand why a country with the worst terrible leadership that it has had and will ever have in its history didn't experience a coup

The leadership wasn't this bad back in the days when they were staging coups and counter coups in the past

Nigerian military only target the citizens and can't help enforce good leadership

They just can't learn from their mates

27 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by kesonas(m): 3:50pm On Feb 05, 2022
Yes dat true , in this nairaland some will still argue

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Johnjanrt: 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2022
Corruption and bad governance. The Siamese sinister in Africa.

9 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Amodi470(m): 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2022
With all due respect General, I disagree with you
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by MufasaLion: 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2022
No truer words from the Army Chief!

cool cool cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by pacespot(m): 3:53pm On Feb 05, 2022
I concur

3 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by vedaxcool(m): 3:56pm On Feb 05, 2022
Or the West keeps destabilising and sponsoring these coups once a leader refuse to do their bidding?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Evidenx(m): 3:57pm On Feb 05, 2022
Omooba77:
The Commander, United State of America African Command, General Stephen Townsend, has attributed the spate of coups in some African Countries to lack of good governance and corruption.

In the last 18 months, the military has seized power in Mali, Chad, Sudan and Burkina Faso.

Speaking during a virtual press briefing on Thursday, Townsend disclosed that the US government and military frowned on the development, saying that it was undermining democracy in the continent.

He said, “Soldiers are undermining democracy in Africa. I cannot tell you why there are so many coups in Africa, I think the continent has enjoyed over 20 years of irregular and unconstitutional change of government but in the last year we have seen a number of them, I don’t know why all that is but it has to do with lack of good governance and corruption.

“The US does not support and condone unconstitutional change of government and the broader effect they have on democracy and the progress of democracy but I think the lack of good governance and corruption are behind much of that.”

Townsend also lamented the expansion of the Islamic State fighters in many African countries.

Read AlsoECOWAS: No excuse for change of government by coup —OsinbajoCoup: Osinbajo in Accra for ECOWAS meeting on Burkina Faso, Mali, GuineaUPDATED: Mane scores as Senegal beat Burkina Faso 3-1 to reach AFCON final

He said, “Military intervention alone cannot end the expansion and the attacks carried out by these terrorist groups, adding that it should be supported by good governance and development.

“ISIS groups continue to expand, crippling towards coastal states and we have seen recent attacks in Togo and Ivory Coast, to me this attack shows the expansion and we are concerned about it.

“While military intervention is only part of the solution to this problem which we would continue to help local forces, we have had tactical success but we have to have the support of good governance and development as long as we don’t have this, I think the terrorists would continue to take advantage of this and continue to expand.”

https://punchng.com/bad-governance-corruption-responsible-for-coups-in-africa-us-army-chief/
MORE LOADING....EXPECT THAT OF NIGERIA SOON

4 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by MrBachelor: 4:00pm On Feb 05, 2022
And then I wonder why a certain African country hasn't had its own share if that be the case, for since independence there never has been a government as bad and corrupt as the current one.

Perhaps, it may be that the military are in cohorts with the polithiefsians and do not want to defecate where they eat. The former Army chief, Buratashing, who owns properties in Dubai is a testament to this.

I'm outta here.

7 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by McGg: 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2022
As if democracy have put African nations in the best of ways
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by chamboy(m): 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2022
B
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Emma15678: 4:01pm On Feb 05, 2022
Inasmuch as I am not supportive of unconstitutional take over of power, I still remain negative to unnecessary interference in African issues. I advise Western countries to leave African nations to settle her issues. I know that a major reason coups occur is due to support earned by coupists from foreign countries and unregulated media outlets which share hatred and strife amongst the populace and military Forces. On a lighter note, I heard that natural disasters occur in places where social diasters things such as homosexual unions, beastiality and oppression occurs.
Thank you sir.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Way4orward: 4:02pm On Feb 05, 2022
Truth.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Jerryherd: 4:03pm On Feb 05, 2022
cool

France and China are responsible for Coup in Africa

Why is it that it is only Francophone African countries that are staging coup d'etat

The answer is simple,

While French authorities think they own resources of West Africa Francophone countries and take it as they like without tangible reward except offering weapons for war and regional distabilisation

China is giving a sweet trade, offering China made Modern Train and rail station, Beautiful Local Airports, Seaports, Manufacturing companies that create jobs locally, and above all unbeatable single Digit interest rate loans... All China wants in return is to get mining lisence for lithium for battery, cobalt, and gems used for computer processors or industrial use

2 Likes

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Brushstrokes20: 4:09pm On Feb 05, 2022
Spot on! Africa is cursed with useless, self serving, redundant, bloodthirsty, kleptomaniacs RULERS masquerading as leaders undecided... The shithole included!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by slivertongue: 4:13pm On Feb 05, 2022
I said same on this forum &one follow claimed greed was responsible for the coups

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by hibeebeeking: 4:15pm On Feb 05, 2022
Una see don there deh look us now.
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Cantonese: 4:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
MrBachelor:
And then I wonder why a certain African country hasn't had its own share if that be the case, for since independence there never has been a government as bad and corrupt as the current one.

Perhaps, it may be that the military are in cohorts with the polithiefsians and do not want to defecate where they eat. The former Army chief, Buratashing, who owns properties in Dubai is a testament to this.

I'm outta here.

Mention the country if you be man!

1 Like

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by ButterBurger: 4:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
Democracy is not meant for Africa.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Akinsete19(m): 4:22pm On Feb 05, 2022
True
Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Ramon92: 4:28pm On Feb 05, 2022
Undermining democracy and nonsense talk..

It's quite obvious that democracy as a system of government is not fit for Africa, but they keep forcing it and using it as a tool to destabilise the continent for their own benefits.

It's quite a shame that most Africans in their usual low esteem will nod and agree to Western opinions about them simply because they've lost their own identity in a fast changing world and that's why we are so easy to manipulate.

What if we discard democracy and adopt our own system that suits our own ways of life? What if we go back in history and figure where we got it wrong?

Them oyinbos are humans just like you. They know the African potential and scared of it, and they use democracy to install incompetent leaders to give us false sense of freedom, and anyone that challenges this is labelled as bad and coup plotters.

I support the coup in Mali and other countries as long they get rid of foreign influence in their lands and take control of their resources. I'm sure France and their allies will be shitting in their pants cos they know the implications and can't stand it.

If we Africans can unite and take control of ourselves, our politics and resources rather than relying on western opinions and bullshyts, I'm sure Africa will be the least conflict zone and a force to be reckoned with. That's what they fear..

Africa should wake up and let's make their fears come to reality..

1 Like

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Nobody: 4:50pm On Feb 05, 2022
Corruption never caused coup.

In fact,the sanes emperors,kings,presidents etc experienced much coups than the tyrant ones.

1 Like

Re: Bad Governance, Corruption Responsible For Coups In Africa — US Army Chief by Nobody: 4:51pm On Feb 05, 2022
Akinsete19:
True

Why Kim of Korea not overthrown?

Why Sankara was overthrown?

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Fossil Fuels May Prevent Sexual Assault" - US Energy Minister / Queen Elizabeth Ii Husband Accidentally Flashes joystick(pic) / Terrifying Photos Reveals What's Really Happening In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.