Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,605 members, 7,809,215 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

Achievements Of Nigeria Political Class- The House Of Rep - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achievements Of Nigeria Political Class- The House Of Rep (968 Views)

Nigeria Has A Lazy Political Class – Pat Utomi / The Final Year Uniben Student Who Knelt Down In Class(the Real Truth). / The Nigerian Political Class And Their Foreign Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Achievements Of Nigeria Political Class- The House Of Rep by uncleb(m): 11:06am On Jun 23, 2011
I seek an avenue for Nigerians to collate and review the activities of our political class (both positive and negative anyway). I want to start with the legislative arm at the Federal level. I will not be able to enumerate all, so I want everybody to add to the list. Am starting with the negative one since the inception of democarcy in 1999.

1. Toronto Certificate  saga by our first honorable speaker of the lower house in the fourth republic

2. Jumbo furniture allowance- Okadigbo

3. The controversial Ileya ram

4. Madam Etteh outrageous renovation expenses

5. The June 22, 2010 fracas and cloth stripping in the house

6. Jumbo allowance under Hon Bankole, the illegal bank loans (about 10b naira) e.t.c
7. Hon. Bankole and deputy’s trial by EFCC

The above are few i can remember from the numerous accomplishments/successes of the house that I can remember. Dear N/L please lets see your own observation and it doesn’t have to be negative anyway.
What baffles me is that I haven’t seen any legislation that adds significantly to the lives of a typical Nigerian. For example, one would have expected a review of our tax laws by this honorable house, the current tax law was last reviewed in 1979; most of the provisions are far below current ecomomic realities.
For instance, businesses pay tax on the assessable profits, that is, what they earn minus all expenses incurred in earning that income. Same is not for PAYE (Tax on salary earners and business men), all earning are taxed EXCEPT some allowances listed below.

• Housing Allowance- maximum of 150k per annum- Our friends in estate magt please give your opinion on the adequacy of this.
• Transport N20k per annum- If you live in mainland and work on the Island, am sure you will spend close to this if not more in a month
• Children allowance N2.5k per annum and child not above 18.  We all know what school fees are from crech to university today, Govt owned schools inclusive.
• Utility 5 or 6K per annum- Today, PCH charges me 3k monthly, DSTV is there, water board , GSM and waste disposal
• Lunch 6k PA-  I wonder if this can sustain one for a month
• Dependent relative 2k PA- Your Govt thinks if you give your parent 2k in a year after all they have suffered for you then you have performed

(1) (Reply)

Al-mustapha, Others Know Fate July 14 Over Kudirat Abiola’s Murder . / Okorocha, Uba Move To Slash Kerosene Price- Igbodefender.com / Alert! Alert! Alert! Jos Is About To Boil Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.