Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,102 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:28 AM

How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? (21213 Views)

Can A Sociology Graduate Work In An Oil And Gas Company In Nigeria? / Can A Chemistry Graduate Work In Oil Company? / What To Expect In A Medical Examination From An Oil And Gas Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Milkyjude1(m): 11:11pm On Jun 24, 2011
Help me good people!I want to know what it takes to get a job in an Oil and Gas company,i need this job badly.Thank you as you give your  most informative advise.
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by abinibi: 12:23am On Jun 25, 2011
I work in this industry,what is your background and why do you really want to work in the industry,I mean what is your motivation to work in this industry.
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Syenite(m): 9:27am On Jun 25, 2011
Milky jude:

Help me good people!I want to know what it takes to get a job in an Oil and Gas company,i need this job badly.Thank you as you give your most informative advise.

What it takes?
Just 4 simple steps:
-Step 1:You being focused when you are in school
-Step 2:You graduating with a very good grade
-Step 3:You being able to pass aptitude tests
-Step 4:You being able to prove your worth and outwit even the best brains at interviews
And there you are with your Dream Oil Company Job.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Milkyjude1(m): 8:48pm On Jun 25, 2011
@abinibi:Thank you for your interest to help,I have B Sc in Economics and my major motivation to work there is because when I was growing up where we were leaving,there is this guy I so much admire and he works with one of the Oil companies so it has been in me to work in an Oil and Gas company.thank you as you give your advice. Best regards.
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Milkyjude1(m): 8:51pm On Jun 25, 2011
Thank you so much for your contribution it's most helpful
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by abinibi: 8:09pm On Jun 29, 2011
Sorry it took me some time to come up with my piece,I am most interested in advising you because of your background in Economics.I studied Mech Engr but I was appalled with outcomes especially concerning job prospects just before I continue there was an experience I had when I was at a point stagnated,I switched into a deep meditation mode alone in my privacy for days and I reached some level of peace within myself on what I need to do to move forward.This experience changed who I am and I have never had such opportunity again but the outcome was far reaching.

It was an opportunity to know who I am,what do people call me especially when I was young and what is my talent based on what initiative I have exhibited amongst my mates when I was at the best in my teen,this is a soul searching exercise which gave me an opportunity to know what I want and what my calling in life and purpose is in life,there is the saying that if you do not understand the purpose of a thing there is every possibility of an an abuse,that is as far as I would share this rare experience of mine with you.This is the purpose behind what I do on Nairaland.

The formula @syenite was what I had and was taught before I came to what I have above,not only did that formula failed me but at a point I was almost feeling like some NRC were on my back because I had everything there in that formula yet nothing was forthcoming.

Though I didnt really have that particular interest in Oil & Gas but I had this strong conviction after my experience that I was born to lead, it is not a far fetched knowledge everyone is born to lead, i.e innate in us is that power to be a leader,its up to you to awaken that giant in you or not.Also that my degree is really not a license to hunt for jobs,also relating this with what I was amongst my colleagues when in secondary school I realised I already had what I needed to succeed even before proceeding to the university.There and then I made up my mind to venture into the business discipline and anything related to the business discipline for that matter.

Back to Oil & Gas, I had strong interest in physics,maths hence engineering,so I had someone who is working in the industry so he helped with a contract based job,to further stress my love for anything in engineering career at the expense of a permanent job as an executive trainee with First Bank but there and then I hit my opportunity in reaching my desired career vision,I was introduced to supply chain management but disguised in the form of a clerical position,I therefore pursued strong career development in SCM pouring all my resource into this and many times sacrificing my ego and comfort,in two years I became the supervisor of my team.The rest is history,you can follow me on the SCM thread.

About two years back I also helped a schoolmate,this I did when I was resourcing for a contract involving quayside support,this is sort of a labour work for a graduate but no interviews,my guy was actually laughed at when he reported to work in suit embarassed but I encouraged him that it was just an entry for him into the industry hence I pushed him into HSE training,he actually had agriculture background hence he is a good fit for that career path,within a year with his HSE training and O & G experience he got an HSE supervisor job with an industry contractor through his network,the rest is history.

The Lesson for you is that there is an alternate formula for entry into any industry through your network,former colleague,relatives,classmates, other form of networking is joining professional organizations of interest or those with interest in oil & gas and attending events,either training or others,there are also industry events in Lagos,Abuja etc,

Secondly,focus is key even when you are a step ahead and please dont forget to drop your ego O & G actually pays well notwithstanding if its labour or manpower, I started with 150k but for five years I ddnt own anything called a car while my colleagues & subordinates drive,the obvious being that my resources were all going into my career development(, focus) or I kind of practiced delayed gratification,I earned PMP 2008,MCIPS 2010, my expenses on training & certification was going up to 1 million as at 2010.

My motivation really was not related to yours,that is why I had to share mine with you, whatever it is that motivates you is what will get you further in your adventure,I hope I have not bored you with my story,from here it is all up to you.

If you have interest in SCM,you have a great background for a career in SCM and its often one of the ignored career path which now earns great in the Oil & Gas industry.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Teejayl(f): 11:14am On Jun 30, 2011
abinibi:

Sorry it took me some time to come up with my piece,I am most interested in advising you because of your background in Economics.I studied Mech Engr but I was appalled with outcomes especially concerning job prospects just before I continue there was an experience I had when I was at a point stagnated,I switched into a deep meditation mode alone in my privacy for days and I reached some level of peace within myself on what I need to do to move forward.This experience changed who I am and I have never had such opportunity again but the outcome was far reaching.

It was an opportunity to know who I am,what do people call me especially when I was young and what is my talent based on what initiative I have exhibited amongst my mates when I was at the best in my teen,this is a soul searching exercise which gave me an opportunity to know what I want and what my calling in life and purpose is in life,there is the saying that if you do not understand the purpose of a thing there is every possibility of an an abuse,that is as far as I would share this rare experience of mine with you.This is the purpose behind what I do on Nairaland.

The formula @syenite was what I had and was taught before I came to what I have above,not only did that formula failed me but at a point I was almost feeling like some NRC were on my back because I had everything there in that formula yet nothing was forthcoming.

Though I didnt really have that particular interest in Oil & Gas but I had this strong conviction after my experience that I was born to lead, it is not a far fetched knowledge everyone is born to lead, i.e innate in us is that power to be a leader,its up to you to awaken that giant in you or not.Also that my degree is really not a license to hunt for jobs,also relating this with what I was amongst my colleagues when in secondary school I realised I already had what I needed to succeed even before proceeding to the university.There and then I made up my mind to venture into the business discipline and anything related to the business discipline for that matter.

Back to Oil & Gas, I had strong interest in physics,maths hence engineering,so I had someone who is working in the industry so he helped with a contract based job,to further stress my love for anything in engineering career at the expense of a permanent job as an executive trainee with First Bank but there and then I hit my opportunity in reaching my desired career vision,I was introduced to supply chain management but disguised in the form of a clerical position,I therefore pursued strong career development in SCM pouring all my resource into this and many times sacrificing my ego and comfort,in two years I became the supervisor of my team.The rest is history,you can follow me on the SCM thread.

About two years back I also helped a schoolmate,this I did when I was resourcing for a contract involving quayside support,this is sort of a labour work for a graduate but no interviews,my guy was actually laughed at when he reported to work in suit embarassed but I encouraged him that it was just an entry for him into the industry hence I pushed him into HSE training,he actually had agriculture background hence he is a good fit for that career path,within a year with his HSE training and  O & G experience he got an HSE supervisor job with an industry contractor through his network,the rest is history.

The Lesson for you is that there is an alternate formula for entry into any industry through your network,former colleague,relatives,classmates, other form of networking is joining professional organizations of interest or those with interest in oil & gas and attending events,either training or others,there are also industry events in Lagos,Abuja etc,

Secondly,focus is key even when you are a step ahead and please dont forget to drop your ego O & G actually pays well notwithstanding if its labour or manpower, I started with 150k but for five years I ddnt own anything called a car while my colleagues & subordinates drive,the obvious being that my resources were all going into my career development(, focus) or I kind of practiced delayed gratification,I earned PMP 2008,MCIPS 2010, my expenses on training & certification was going up to 1 million as at 2010.

My motivation really was not related to yours,that is why I had to share mine with you, whatever it is that motivates you is what will get you further in your adventure,I hope I have not bored you with my story,from here it is all up to you.

If you have interest in SCM,you have a great background for a  career in SCM and its often one of the ignored career path which now earns great in the Oil & Gas industry.

Inspiring, More Grace
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by durobraham(f): 3:41pm On Jul 06, 2011
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Milkyjude1(m): 7:38pm On Jul 06, 2011
@abinibi:Thanks so much for your inspiration and advise, it have added one point to my Life.
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by temmarbaba(m): 11:30pm On Aug 15, 2011
Am a graduate of material science engineering, and would like to go for professional courses instead of a masters. Am interested in SCM, please can You let М̣̣̥̇̊i̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣ know how to get started? Thank You. Tmt19john@gmail.com is ♍Ɣ email
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by yamakuza: 11:35pm On Dec 22, 2011
temmarbaba:

Am a graduate of material science engineering, and would like to go for professional courses instead of a masters. Am interested in SCM, please can You let М̣̣̥̇̊i̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣ know how to get started? Thank You. Tmt19john@gmail.com is ♍Ɣ email

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-7497.0.html
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by yamakuza: 10:07pm On Dec 26, 2011
Also useful:

chamber2:

^^^

Actually, Jarus did something on getting into O&G Coys long ago shocked

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-280487.64.html

yamakuza:

^ Quite informative. Thanks!

Hope post #85 and others from that 2009 thread will still prove useful in 2012 and beyond?

More Strategies and Testimonies welcome please.

Thanks!
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by 2sexy(m): 12:20am On Dec 28, 2011
OP thank you for bringing up this thread, but unfortunately, i can see that we do not have much oil and gas professionals here on NL. This tend to make it difficult to get the right answers when a question like this is asked.

But thank you for the response so far. I also have similar interest.

I am a petroleum engineering student and would be graduating next year. My problem is just like that of the op. How do I enter the industry, what certificate should I acquire after my HND programme next year.

What will be the best way to position myself in order to get a job. My major interest is Oil and Gas production. though I like drilling but not as much as oil production.

I should be please if given the right information that will direct me.
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 10, 2012
At abinibi i'm a chemical engineerin student graduatin next year by d grace of God. really need advice on how to move in the necessary direction already i did a course a on 'offshore exploration and float over technology' though will like to enrol 4 more professional courses but its d resources that's kind of delayin me. My grades are good too. I just wanna know what's d way forward.
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by yemmyma: 4:51pm On Sep 10, 2012
Phinga: At abinibi i'm a chemical engineerin student graduatin next year by d grace of God. really need advice on how to move in the necessary direction already i did a course a on 'offshore exploration and float over technology' though will like to enrol 4 more professional courses but its d resources that's kind of delayin me. My grades are good too. I just wanna know what's d way forward.

If you have good grades, why don't you try getting a job? If none is not forthcoming, then you can as well try to apply for a masters course. You should read the Oil and Gas threads as well to get more insight. https://www.nairaland.com/768160/total-oil-gas-workers

Hope this helps
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 12, 2012
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by ayo228(m): 1:47pm On Mar 06, 2013
i am a graduate of architecture and i also have pmp professional certificate. i will love to work in an oil and gas company... can anyone advice and help me with this..
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by BELTD: 1:24am On Jul 22, 2013
The Oil & Gas Industry, is a Haven that is big enough to accommodate a lot of people as long as they have the required skills and expertise.

The welding & Fabrication career is one not well subscribed to in Nigeria. Our society feel it is a dirty job meant for drop outs...

This Lie has eaten into the hearts of a lot of persons however, here is an eye opener as the welding & fabrication career is one widely sought for all around the world.

You may follow these link to learn more [url]https:https://www.facebook.com/notes/boanerges-energy/the-welding-profession-thorough-look-into-the-welding-career/171044669741909

https://www.facebook.com/notes/boanerges-energy/the-welding-engineer-insight-to-the-welding-career/172136279632748

Training venue: Oleh, Delta State

Mobilization date is 25 September, 2013.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by koolg: 4:38am On Sep 05, 2014
abinibi: Sorry it took me some time to come up with my piece,I am most interested in advising you because of your background in Economics.I studied Mech Engr but I was appalled with outcomes especially concerning job prospects just before I continue there was an experience I had when I was at a point stagnated,I switched into a deep meditation mode alone in my privacy for days and I reached some level of peace within myself on what I need to do to move forward.This experience changed who I am and I have never had such opportunity again but the outcome was far reaching.

About two years back I also helped a schoolmate,this I did when I was resourcing for a contract involving quayside support,this is sort of a labour work for a graduate but no interviews,my guy was actually laughed at when he reported to work in suit embarassed but I encouraged him that it was just an entry for him into the industry hence I pushed him into HSE training,he actually had agriculture background hence he is a good fit for that career path,within a year with his HSE training and O & G experience he got an HSE supervisor job with an industry contractor through his network,the rest is history.

If you have interest in SCM,you have a great background for a career in SCM and its often one of the ignored career path which now earns great in the Oil & Gas industry.
Re: How Do I Get A Job In Oil And Gas Company? by Bonty11: 9:28am On Jul 31, 2015
Am a medical laboratory scientists, please, whoever has connection on how to get job in oil and gas company should let me know. God bless u as u try helping

(1) (Reply)

Can You Take A Job That Pays Less Than N50,000 As A BSc Holder? / Graduating With A Second Class Lower / Types Of Salary: Which One Is Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.