Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,007 members, 7,835,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing (1820 Views)

Garri Is Never On Advert Bt Sell Pass Indomie Why? / Most Of The Money Spent On Advert On The Electronic Media Is A Waste. / Zain Spending So Much On Advert? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing by AmeLonRo(m): 7:28am On Jun 25, 2011
Want to go into the publication of magazines for secondary school students. Write ups are ready. Need advert to cover some costs and tips o how to promote,advertise and market it. Have approached some people to advertise bot the response is somewhat. N smileyeed your input pls.
Re: Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing by smilypie: 4:17pm On Jun 25, 2011
I am running a magazine myself. Best thing to do is to be professional when approaching them, getting advertising is tough especially when it is your first issue. This is because a lot of companies will ask for a track record which you will not have because you are only starting up.

Tell them why your magazine is different and how it will help them target their audience.

Give them info about reader per magazine (as in would it be two reader per magazine and why).

When distributing you can either self distribute or get a distributing company to do it (how it works is that you do not pay them, they get a certain percentage of your cover price, what your magazine sells which can be up to 45% sometimes).

If it is a secondary school magazine, my advise to you is to not sell them but contact the schools directly and tell them to distribute them (schools wouldn't mind, just put in an article or two about something educational so that they will be more than likely to take them off your hands).

You can make money even if you give them out for free, just use adverts to cover your cost and make a profit. You can tell advertisers that they are distributed in schools so that they know that their ads are actually being seen.

Find out the prices of your competitors and lower your prices. Then tell the advertisers what you offer in comparison to other magazines so that they know that you are offering them the best deal.

Those are the advise that I can give you, talking from experience while starting up my own mag. Publishing is one of the hardest businesses you can get into but if you get the formula right first time round you can do great!
Re: Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing by AmeLonRo(m): 9:29am On Jun 30, 2011
Thanks, smilypie. Appreciate it.
Re: Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing by AmeLonRo(m): 9:37am On May 27, 2013
Thanks again, It has been planning time all along, its now action time. grin grin grin
Re: Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing by ExplicitConnect(m): 4:57am On Aug 14, 2015
AmeLonRo:
Want to go into the publication of magazines for secondary school students. Write ups are ready. Need advert to cover some costs and tips o how to promote,advertise and market it. Have approached some people to advertise bot the response is somewhat. N smileyeed your input pls.

Hi! I intend going into publishing of Teens Newspaper meant for teenagers in secondary schools. Have you started your publication? How is it faring? How did you raise finance or get partners? Am 24 years and have ways apart from advert in raising profit. Need your help. Thanks.
Re: Tips On Advert/distribution Of Magazine Publishing by AmeLonRo(m): 11:40am On Feb 27, 2023
ExplicitConnect:

Hi! I intend going into publishing of Teens Newspaper meant for teenagers in secondary schools. Have you started your publication? How is it faring? How did you raise finance or get partners? Am 24 years and have ways apart from advert in raising profit. Need your help. Thanks.

I have since resorted to creating content on YouTube and blogs.
I am measiring good progress. Will explore other options later.

(1) (Reply)

Wholesale Shops / May Your Road Be Rough: The Timelessness Of Solarin’s Wisdom / Helppppppp I Really Wanna Purchase Laptop From Ebay.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.