Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,058 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning (29185 Views)

Words And Acronyms That Gained Popularity In Year 2020. / Four Different, But Confusing Words: / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by IamV: 10:19am On Feb 16, 2022
You got those pairs of words you think English learners may have tough time differentiating which from which, especially during writing,please drop them here.
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

An artist is a person who draws,paints or makes carves,while an artiste is a public performer , especially songs or dance.

-seize / cease

Seize means to take possession of something using force or violence,while cease means to bring something to an end or stop.

- stationary / stationery;

Stationary is a condition in which an object or something is not experiencing motion. It's stagnant. While stationery are basically your writing materials, office materials.

- Illegible / Eligible;

Illegible is a situation where something or a writing is not clear enough to be read, while eligible means meeting the necessary conditions or qualifications to participate for something.

Moral / morale;

Moral relates to principle of right and wrong in behaviour,while morale is about the level of belief ,determination and confidence a person or group of persons have at a given time.

Do you have any?
List if you do, e will love to learn them.

221 Likes 22 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by MufasaLion: 10:24am On Feb 16, 2022
Include "Born/Borne" also.

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by GardenOfGod(m): 5:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
Sit.... To be in a position in which the upper body is upright and supported by the buttocks.

Seat...Something to be sat upon. The horizontal portion of a chair or other furniture designed for sitting.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by helinues: 5:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
grin

Were/were

One is past tense of Are

While the second one is for mad person

357 Likes 23 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by phoneport(m): 5:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
Me thought it should be confusing like this grin grin grin

Kanu / IPOB
Kyari / Corrupt
Thief / Nubu
No Fuel / NNPC
Buhari / Senseless

139 Likes 9 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by excomarow(m): 5:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
Also include'There n Their"

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Rhado: 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
Believe/Belief
Litter/Liter
Scent/Sent/Saint

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by hugulabog: 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
Ndi oyibo

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by eedimo(m): 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
great avenue for a man who loves learning like me.
Bring them on

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by xreal: 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
Program/Programme

Advise/Advice

Yours Faithfully/Sincerely (in letter writing)

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by lagosrd: 5:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
Been........and .......being

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Olam09(m): 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
grin
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by jclassiq(m): 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
Egbé and égbè.
Good luck differentiating that one...lmao

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by imran147(m): 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
Great picture Avenue for men like us who love to learn and explore in anglophone

5 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Nobody: 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
Good Thread

3 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by condralbedez: 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
Informative

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by OmoOshodi(m): 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
grin

Zah Zuh Zeh --- meaning ( otun ti Zeh)

Igba( 200)
Igba (season)
Igba (calabash)
Igba (garden egg)

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by AutoChick4U(f): 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
Come/Cum

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Baawaa(m): 5:23pm On Feb 16, 2022
Sex and sex

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by elyte89: 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
Advise/advice

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by FalseProphet1(m): 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
Eight... Number

Ate. Past tense of eat.

Red... colour

Read. To read a book.

And so on and so forth.

To my members on line, I see no prophecies concerning this post.

This I have seen.

6 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by nony43(m): 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
B
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by SmartPolician: 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2022
The one I find most embarrassing when people wrongly use them is their and there

Update

To whom it may concern

Their means that someone or people own or have something.

Examples,

1. She is their first daughter. (It means the lady is owned by the unnamed parents).

2. Their house is just two streets away from mine. (They own the house)

On the other hand, there means that place OR it is often used to start a sentence.

Examples,
1. There's something about that girl (Like I said, it is often used to start a sentence. It doesn't show any form of possession).

2. There are two boys in my class now. (Again, starting a sentence without any form of possession).

3. I will be there (that place)

4. He was there when the armed robber was arrested (that place).

In summary, whenever you want to say that someone owns or possess something, use their. However, where that is not the case, use there.

Combination:
Over there (that place) in England, English is their (possession) first language.

I hope this helps...

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by vb0mb(m): 5:25pm On Feb 16, 2022
Grave and grave

Grave - place of burial.
grave - serious or terrible.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by inoki247: 5:25pm On Feb 16, 2022
Cum/Come
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by CoronaVirusPro: 5:25pm On Feb 16, 2022
Otun/Otu- Otun is Pvssy, Otu is number 1

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UNIBEN Students Celebrate Final Year Week In Style (Video) / Student Captured Berating Teacher In Viral Video / MUST READ: Before You Buy That School Of Nursing Admission Form!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.