Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,242 members, 7,836,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning (29222 Views)

Words And Acronyms That Gained Popularity In Year 2020. / Four Different, But Confusing Words: / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Gmajor(m): 7:45pm On Feb 16, 2022
advice and advise
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by placeofallure(f): 7:46pm On Feb 16, 2022
Aarenasbaba:
Advise/Advice
Believe/Belief

Belief is the noun (name) while Believe is the verb (action)

E.g. The Christians hold a belief that Jesus is the son of God.

E.g. The Christians believe in Jesus as the son of God.

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Edoziesmart(m): 7:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:
Otun/Otu- Otun is Pvssy, Otu is number 1
Which language is this bro?

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Pelumar(m): 8:05pm On Feb 16, 2022
SmartPolician:
The one I find most embarrassing when people wrongly use them is their and there
I swear help me explain ham it's on my mind and I'm happy u mentioned it
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by placeofallure(f): 8:07pm On Feb 16, 2022
lagosrd:
Been........and .......being

"Been" is an inflection of the verb 'be'. It refers to the past or an action that started in the past and is continuing into the present. We only use "been" with the three "h" helping verbs - has, have and had.
E.g. I have been to Dubai once.
He has been living in Lagos for many
years now.
They had been seated in the hall
before the artiste arrived.

"Being" is a present continuous participle for the verb "be"
E.g. The man is being accused of theft.
We are being considered for the
captaincy position.
Being the breadwinner of the family
is tasking.

I hope this will suffice.

3 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by lanchy: 8:09pm On Feb 16, 2022
Here is one, I hope people know the difference.

One is a Noun, the other is a verb, but which is which

License/Licence

Advise/Advice

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Michelle70(m): 8:12pm On Feb 16, 2022
Crieff:
Though not a word but a phrase and how it's correctly used.
How do you properly respond to the question below and what does those response actually mean.

Do you mind having noodles for dinner?

Yes I do mind
Yes I don't mind
No I don't mind
No I do mind
the correct answers are "yes I do mind or no I dont mind"
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by temisartana: 8:12pm On Feb 16, 2022
Guild/Guard/Guide
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by phemmyfour: 8:18pm On Feb 16, 2022
Pelumar:
Their shows possession

There refers to a place or location

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by placeofallure(f): 8:20pm On Feb 16, 2022
excomarow:
Also include'There n Their"

It's true that people confuse the use of: There, Their and They're.

There means in, of or to that place. It could also mean to exist, that's the existential there.
E.g. Please, sit there.
There are ten pupils in the
classroom.

Their. This is a possessive pronoun indicating what some people own or what belongs to them.
E.g. The house belongs to Jack and Jill, it
is their house.

They're. This is simply the contracted or shortened form of "they are".
E.g. They're Nigerians.

Look at this: The teacher asked them to put their books there if they're done.

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by phemmyfour: 8:21pm On Feb 16, 2022
Crieff:
How do you properly respond to the question below and what does those response actually mean.

Yes I do mind
Yes I don't mind
No I don't mind
No I do mind
Any of the two is correct.
Positive(Yes) goes with positive (do)
Negative (No) goes with negative (don't)
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by phemmyfour: 8:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
placeofallure:

It's true that people confuse the use of: There, Their and They're.

There means in, of or to that place. It could also mean to exist, that's the existential there.
E.g. Please, sit there.
There are ten pupils in the
classroom.

Their. This is a possessive pronoun indicating what some people own or what belongs to them.
E.g. The house belongs to Jack and Jill, it
is their house.

They're. This is simply the contracted or shortened form of "they are".
E.g. They're Nigerians.

Look at this: The teacher asked them to put their books there if when they're done.
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by placeofallure(f): 8:22pm On Feb 16, 2022
phr0nesis:
Invisible/Invincible

Invisible: That cannot be seen.
Invincible: That cannot be defeated.

God is both invisible and invincible.
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 8:29pm On Feb 16, 2022
elyte89:
Advise/advice
advise is a verb, the act of giving advice. Advice is a noun.
I advise you to read this carefully
I gave him a piece of advice but he didn't listen.

Advise is pronounce like this [advaiz]
Advice is pronounce [advais]
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Stanislaus18(m): 8:31pm On Feb 16, 2022
IamV:
You got those pairs of words you think English learners may have tough time differentiating which from which, especially during writing,please drop them here.
Below are mine .

- Artist / Artiste

An artist is a person who draws,paints or makes carves,while an artiste is a public performer , especially songs or dance.

-seize / cease

Seize means to take possession of something using force or violence,while cease means to bring something to an end or stop.

- stationary / stationery;

Stationary is a condition in which an object or something is not experiencing motion. It's stagnant. While stationery are basically your writing materials, office materials.

- Illegible / Eligible;

Illegible is a situation where something or a writing is not clear enough to be read, while eligible means meeting the necessary conditions or qualifications to participate for something.

Moral / morale;

Moral relates to principle of right and wrong in behaviour,while morale is about the level of belief ,determination and confidence a person or group of persons have at a given time.

Do you have any?
List if you do, e will love to learn them.

Include "loose" and "lose"
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by 08064978510(m): 8:31pm On Feb 16, 2022
As/has
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Aaau: 8:32pm On Feb 16, 2022
Oh
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Slimwhyt(m): 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
Proof and prove
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2022
phr0nesis:
Invisible/Invincible
invisible something you can't see
Invincible something you can't kill.
They're not even pronounced the same way.
Invincible [ invinsibo]

Invisible [invizibo]

These are not the actual transcriptions my keyboard doesn't have phonetic alphabet
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by AmJames: 8:34pm On Feb 16, 2022
inoki247:
Cum/Come
surprisingly cum may mean come
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 8:38pm On Feb 16, 2022
mowapa:
Homonymous
Loose lose
Wait weight
Blue blew
Ate eight
loose and lose aren't homonyms
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 8:43pm On Feb 16, 2022
Crieff:

Yes I do mind
Yes I don't mind
No I don't mind
No I do mind
no I don't mind. Which means means you would like to have the noodles

The question somehow means if you would be offended to have noodles for dinner.
No I don't mind means you are saying it's fine, it's not a problem at all or you won't be offended.

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by truthhurts2: 8:52pm On Feb 16, 2022
OmoOshodi:
grin

Zah Zuh Zeh --- meaning ( otun ti Zeh)

Igba( 200)
Igba (season)
Igba (calabash)
Igba (garden egg)
Igba (rope for climbing palm trees)

1 Like

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by SmartPolician: 8:54pm On Feb 16, 2022
Pelumar:

Their means someone or people own or have something.

Examples,

1. She is their first daughter. (It means the lady is owned by the unnamed parents).

2. Their house is just two streets away from mine. (They own the house)

On the other hand, there means that place OR it is often used to start a sentence.

Examples,
1. There's something about that girl (Like I said, it is often used to start a sentence. It doesn't show any form of possession).

2. There are two boys in my class now. (Again, starting a sentence without any form of possession).

3. I will be there (that place)

4. He was there when the armed robber was arrested (that place).

In summary, whenever you want to say that someone owns or possess something, use their. However, where that is not the case, use there.

Combination:
Over there (that place) in England, English is their (possession) first language.

I hope this helps...

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by holaphem(m): 8:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
Ogun=== war
Ogun=== inheritance
Ogun=== drug
Ogun=== their ancestor, Ogun lakaye if you know the rest complete am I don remove my hand oh
cheesy angry grin
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by jclassiq(m): 8:55pm On Feb 16, 2022
thatigboman1:
hawk and gun?
Yeah. Lmao
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by holaphem(m): 8:56pm On Feb 16, 2022
Ogun war
Ogun inheritance
Ogun drug
Ogun their ancestor, Ogun lakaye if you know the rest complete am I don remove my hand oh
cheesy angry grin
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 8:58pm On Feb 16, 2022
henrybangs44:

Na your own make sense pass.. Aswae I'm still yet to master the two... And I use them everyday
been is past participle.
If you ever see have, had or has, just know that you MUST use been. That's almost only when you should use been
I have been waiting for you
He has been my assistant for the past two weeks
She had already been out for 2 hours when I got back.

You should use being if there's is, are, am, was, were

I think I am being followed
He is being strong headed

2 Likes

Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by superjay44: 9:00pm On Feb 16, 2022
Cabbage/garbage
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by truthhurts2: 9:02pm On Feb 16, 2022
seunny4lif:
grin
OGUN/ OGUN
Ogun (drugs)
Ogun (properties)
Ogun (war)
Ogun (an ancient orisa �)
Ogun (state)
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 9:07pm On Feb 16, 2022
Walkee:
been is past participle.
If you ever see have, had or has, just know that you MUST use been. That's almost only when you should use been

domido:

That's my own confusion oo
Re: List Five Pairs Of Confusing Words And Their Meaning by Walkee: 9:08pm On Feb 16, 2022
domido:

That's my own confusion oo
check out this my post
Walkee:
been is past participle.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

JAMB UTME 2018: Live Thread And Reports / Okeke Solomon Ekene Emerges Best Graduating Student In Russian University / Newly Admitted UNICAL Students Pour Each Other Water To Celebrate (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.