Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,824 members, 7,956,114 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:55 AM

Naira And Kobo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira And Kobo (13912 Views)

Increase Petrol Price By 85 Kobo Every Week For 3 Years / My Oil Firm Got No Kobo Of Subsidy From Fg -jimoh Ibrahim / Why Gain A Kobo To Lose A Naira? By Dr. Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira And Kobo by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:35pm On Jun 26, 2011
kindly tell me which language is that, how did the country reach to name them as our national currency
Re: Naira And Kobo by nduchucks: 2:07pm On Jun 26, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

kindly tell me which language is that, how did the country reach to name them as our national currency

Ny theory: kobo was derived from the yoruba term for penny and hausa term for penny. Naira = Nai from Nigeria, like nai[/b]ja; The 'ra' in nai[b]ra from the yoruba word for buy (ra).

I might as well give you my suggestion, since no one else knows the answer  smiley
Re: Naira And Kobo by mensdept: 7:51pm On Jun 26, 2011
^^^^ Does that make sense?

Nigeria is a patch patch country where people dont even know the origin of the country, national anthem, and that "Nigeria" (Nigga. Area) is nothing more than a derogatory expression.

Thats why theres foul odor in Aso Rock and the country is confused.
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 26, 2011
mens dept:

^^^^ Does that make sense?

Nigeria is a patch patch country where people dont even know the origin of the country, national anthem, and that "Nigeria" (Nigga. Area) is nothing more than a derogatory expression.

Thats why theres foul odor in Aso Rock and the country is confused.

Do you or do you not have the answer to the question the poster posed?

Anywaz, kobo sounds very Yoruba to me.
Re: Naira And Kobo by mensdept: 8:06pm On Jun 26, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Do you or do you not have the answer to the question the poster posed?

Anywaz, kobo sounds very Yoruba to me.

Can you read? Kobo "sounds" very Yoruba to me?  We are just pulling things out of the air and everyone is complacent and accepts it without rigourous thought. Thats why leaders spend N168 million to clear grass from a local airport smiley
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 26, 2011
mens dept:

Can you read? Kobo "sounds" very Yoruba to me?  We are just pulling things out of the air and everyone is complacent and accepts it without rigourous thought. Thats why leaders spend N168 million to clear grass from a local airport smiley

Since you do not have the definite answer to the question, why not shut up and leave ppl's suggestion alone?
Your ranting has not answered anything. I'm sure I would not have been able to question your post if I didnt have the ability to read and comprehend the garbage you posted. smiley

Yes, kobo sounds very Yoruba to me.
Re: Naira And Kobo by mensdept: 4:23am On Jun 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Since you do not have the definite answer to the question, why not shut up and leave ppl's suggestion alone?
Your ranting has not answered anything. I'm sure I would not have been able to question your post if I didnt have the ability to read and comprehend the garbage you posted. smiley

Yes, kobo sounds very Yoruba to me.

So does the word Agbaya which you clearly are. Did the poster ask for a suggestion or an answer. Your answer is Kobo sounds "Very" Yoruba and that is all se'?
Re: Naira And Kobo by ZnO: 4:26am On Jun 27, 2011
They always claim.lol
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 6:35am On Jun 27, 2011
mens dept:

So does the word Agbaya which you clearly are. Did the poster ask for a suggestion or an answer. Your answer is Kobo sounds "Very" Yoruba and that is all se'?
Abu-Maryam:

[size=18pt]kindly tell me which language is that[/size], how did the country reach to name them as our national currency

Last time I checked, Yoruba is a language and kobo is (or was) a Nigerian currency.

My suggestion is TELLING him what the answer could be.

Your rant is just telling us what we dont care about.
Re: Naira And Kobo by AbuMaryam1(m): 7:51am On Jun 27, 2011
I appreciate your contributions, Thanks

This will be educating please lets have definite meaning, my instincts are telling me those names are composite drive from different tribes. In anyway it

does not sound like Hausa or Fulani, please if there's any documented prove to back our argument let's have it, Thanks
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 27, 2011
If I remember correctly

Awolowo was attributed to have coined the name 'naira'

Origins of its subunit however ~ not sure.
Re: Naira And Kobo by mensdept: 2:35pm On Jun 27, 2011
^^^^^ So there's no actual answer  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lets email the Minister of Culture and Tourism, that is, whenever GEJ decides to appoint the ministers (after 1 month in office)
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 27, 2011
mens dept:

^^^^^ So there's no actual answer  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Lets email the Minister of Culture and Tourism, that is, whenever GEJ decides to appoint the ministers (after 1 month in office)
Stop showing yellow teeth jor. tongue

Naira could have been a more revised formed of Naijiriya (Yoruba for Nigeria), since the currency was coined from Awo (referring to danspony).
Re: Naira And Kobo by aljharem3: 3:08pm On Jun 27, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Ny theory: kobo was derived from the yoruba term for penny and hausa term for penny. Naira = Nai from Nigeria, like nai[/b]ja; The 'ra' in nai[b]ra from the yoruba word for buy (ra).

I might as well give you my suggestion, since no one else knows the answer  smiley

well said

i actually heard this before but i was not really sure but thanks for the confimation.
Re: Naira And Kobo by mensdept: 10:15pm On Jun 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Stop showing yellow teeth jor. tongue

Naira could have been a more revised formed of Naijiriya (Yoruba for Nigeria), since the currency was coined from Awo (referring to danspony).

Are you freakn serious? I knew you werent making sense from your first post. What the heck is Naijiriya lol? How is that Yoruba and not Hausa or Ibibio?

Naira could have been this suggest (since you are oga suggestion)that you dont really know, and furthermore, no one really knows.
Re: Naira And Kobo by ayinba1(f): 10:22pm On Jun 27, 2011
" Naira" may just be the root word for "money"!

Why are their Millio'naires' and billio"naires", even thousand"naires" Never, milliodollars/ milliondolleurs or milliopounds/millionpounders??.

Black man, appreciate thyself. grin grin

My 2 kobo!
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 2:04am On Jun 28, 2011
mens dept:

Are you freakn serious? I knew you werent making sense from your first post[b]. What the heck is Naijiriya lol?[/b] How is that Yoruba and not Hausa or Ibibio?

Naira could have been this suggest (since you are oga suggestion)that you dont really know, and furthermore, no one really knows.

Yoruba people spell "Nigeria" as Naijiriya in our language. That's "what the heck" Naijiriya is.

Hope that helps.
Re: Naira And Kobo by ayinba1(f): 2:23am On Jun 28, 2011
^^ You are sooo patient and that signature? lol
Re: Naira And Kobo by mensdept: 3:09am On Jun 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba people spell "Nigeria" as Naijiriya in our language. That's "what the heck" Naijiriya is.

Hope that helps.

Absolute nonsense. Which Yoruba are you talking of? When has the word Nigeria translated as a Yoruba word? But Yoruba do have a authentic translation for the word silly which is Ode, which the above quote falls under.
Re: Naira And Kobo by chines4(m): 10:36am On Jun 28, 2011
This fight will not answer the question. So you two pls stop it. Personally I want to know the origin of the words, and not how to fight.
Re: Naira And Kobo by JahMan1: 10:45am On Jun 28, 2011
Are you guys aware that Naira and Kobo were introduced after the Nigerian Civil war?
Now see their meanings,

NAIRA = Nigerian Army Is Ready Again

KOBO = Kill Ojukwu Before Others.

Unfortunately, the meaning of Naira has been lost since. Even Boko Haram intimidates them.Na only MASSOB dem get power for and Osisi ka Nkwu.

They also failed woefully in the meaning of KOBO as they killed a million people without getting Ojukwu and he still lives till date.

Ever wondered why our currency is such a failure?

I laff in Latin-Igbo!
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 10:54am On Jun 28, 2011
mens dept:

LWKMD grin
Re: Naira And Kobo by Ucheoman: 11:16am On Jun 28, 2011
I think Naira was a secret agreement reached by nigerian leaders in 1973 after the civil war to stop the igbos from ruling nigeria .
Naira - never allow igbos rule again
Re: Naira And Kobo by chines4(m): 11:47am On Jun 28, 2011
Ucheoman:

I think Naira was a secret agreement reached by nigerian leaders in 1973 after the civil war to stop the igbos from ruling nigeria .
This is the funniest thing I have read to day grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Naira And Kobo by Bensonite: 11:54am On Jun 28, 2011
Ucheoman:

You may be right. A month ago my friend told me about same meaning for NAIRA. The Naira and Kobo was introduced after the war.
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 28, 2011
Ur comments, Seriously though.?? Hahahahha
Re: Naira And Kobo by bamosagie(m): 12:14pm On Jun 28, 2011
Are you guys aware that Naira and Kobo were introduced after the Nigerian Civil war?
Now see their meanings,

NAIRA = Nigerian Army Is Ready Again

KOBO = Kill Ojukwu Before Others.

right on the mark.
Re: Naira And Kobo by nagoma(m): 12:44pm On Jun 28, 2011
In 1972 the government of Nigeria under General Yakubu Gowon decided to change the rule of driving  to conform to the 4 french speaking countries surrounding Nigeria . these are Benin Republic, Niger, Chad, and the Cameron. All of them drove on the right lane with the steering placed on the left side of the vehicle while Nigeria in the British tradition and heritage drove on the left and had vehicle steering on the right side. This changee to conform was effected in 1972 with massive enlightment campaigns across the country.

This was followed by the change of currency units from Pounds, Shilling and Pence (£,s,d) to the present concept N and k). This was informed by the need for indeginization and decimalization. You will remember that 12 pence make one shilling. There was a request in the News papers and available media for people to contribute in the debate  for denominations and names reflecting the country's culture etc. The lowest denomintion was given the name[b] kobo [/b] as many N[i]igerian communities had that name or similar for the old penny. The Yoruba , Hausa and I think Igbo all refered to the penny as kobo or kwabo(hausa). A contending name for kobo was "beni" as this was what the penny was called in most coastal regions but the kobo was selected. The Naira was coined by many submissions in the |News papers to reflect Nigeria's name (River Niger, Negro etc). A contending name for Naira was Nira which was suggested by many but then dropped because it sounded like "Lira"[ and could cause confusion with the Italian currency.)
i]"On 31st March, 1971, the then Head of State announced that Nigeria would change to decimal currency as from 1st January, 1973.The major currency unit would be called Naira which would be equivalent to ten shillings: the minor unit would be called kobo; 100 of which would make one Naira. The decision to change to decimal currency followed the [/i] recommendations of the Decimal Currency Committee set up in 1962 which submitted its report in 1964.

The change that took place in January, 1973 was a major one and this involved both currency notes and coins. The major unit of currency which used to be £1 ceased to exist and the one Naira which was equivalent to 10/- become the major unit:

On 11th February"[/i]
Re: Naira And Kobo by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 28, 2011
"Naira"  was derived from "Nigeria" while Kobo may have been derived from "copper". from its colour i think its actually made of copper. Im not sure though
Re: Naira And Kobo by rabzy: 12:50pm On Jun 28, 2011
Thanks so much nagoma, it was almost becoming embarassing.
Re: Naira And Kobo by crackhouse(m): 12:58pm On Jun 28, 2011
Naira and kobo means rich and poor. That's why the rich swims in Nairas while the poor battles with the remaining Kobos.
Re: Naira And Kobo by crackhouse(m): 1:02pm On Jun 28, 2011
nagoma:

In 1972 the government of Nigeria under General Yakubu Gowon decided to change the rule of driving  to conform to the 4 french speaking countries surrounding Nigeria . these are Benin Republic, Niger, Chad, and the Cameron. All of them drove on the right lane with the steering placed on the left side of the vehicle while Nigeria in the British tradition and heritage drove on the left and had vehicle steering on the right side. This changee to conform was effected in 1972 with massive enlightment campaigns across the country.

This was followed by the change of currency units from Pounds, Shilling and Pence (£,s,d) to the present concept N and k). This was informed by the need for indeginization and decimalization. You will remember that 12 pence make one shilling. There was a request in the News papers and available media for people to contribute in the debate  for denominations and names reflecting the country's culture etc. The lowest denomintion was given the name[b] kobo [/b] as many N[i]igerian communities had that name or similar for the old penny. The Yoruba , Hausa and I think Igbo all refered to the penny as kobo or kwabo(hausa). A contending name for kobo was "beni" as this was what the penny was called in most coastal regions but the kobo was selected. The Naira was coined by many submissions in the |News papers to reflect Nigeria's name (River Niger, Negro etc). A contending name for Naira was Nira which was suggested by many but then dropped because it sounded like "Lira"[ and could cause confusion with the Italian currency.)
i]"On 31st March, 1971, the then Head of State announced that Nigeria would change to decimal currency as from 1st January, 1973.The major currency unit would be called Naira which would be equivalent to ten shillings: the minor unit would be called kobo; 100 of which would make one Naira. The decision to change to decimal currency followed the [/i] recommendations of the Decimal Currency Committee set up in 1962 which submitted its report in 1964.

The change that took place in January, 1973 was a major one and this involved both currency notes and coins. The major unit of currency which used to be £1 ceased to exist and the one Naira which was equivalent to 10/- become the major unit:

On 11th February"[/i]

O boy, must u google it before u do copy and paste?.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ex-nema Spokesman Sacked Over Okonjo-iweala Article / Adelabu Wins Oyo APC Governorship Primary / Buhari Receives Wang Yi, Foreign Minister Of China (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.