Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,061 members, 7,814,649 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

What Does Computer Networking Entail? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / What Does Computer Networking Entail? (8617 Views)

Learn Computer Networking / Computer Networking / Need A Seminar/project Topic On Computer Networking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 10:13pm On Mar 28, 2006
@sbucareer:Good I'll take this as an apology or better still malice in the making
thanks it all stuck 1 by 1

oasis:

You're correct. That definition is weak at best.

1. A definition should not assume somebody already knows what is being defined.
2. A definition should not include the terms being defined. E.g., you can't use computer networking in it's own definition.
3. A definition should be succinct, but accurate. Otherwise, it becomes an explanation.

The phrase desired out put doesn't tell anybody anything, because it's ambigious.

here you go again, i was not asked to define i was ask to say what computer networking entails

E.g
what is your name
my name is*** (entails/ represent)
u see u have to put name to bring about correct English usage?

like if u see someone nick named
lion he'll wants to live up his name by trying to be fearless and hard

e.g 2
what does it intail to cook okra soup
in cooking okra soup u have to blend the okra, pepper some vegetables etc,

but in definition
e.g 3

define Boy
a young male of human origin

e.g4
what is mathematics?
The study and use of Numbers, signs, equations, functions propreties to bring about logical relationships and representations

Now the word desired:

desire is not exactly same as want or need, it has some degree of both,
with desire you are specific and controlled to some logical extent( i desire snazzy as my wife)
with want you can want the impossible (i want to be invisible to all man)
with need you diesireand want only the logical possible and even involuntarily( I need water to live)

for you to desire you must have known/imagine the effect in antispation of your need ( thus my heart desire)
is to be with my love, but if my love fails to give the desired effect my desire dies with her and my wish for another woman, cos we still believe that the desired effect lies with a woman

now that u've understand so let me see u move like you come from Colombia
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by ojd(m): 12:33am On Mar 29, 2006
wats it between u two? Una dey fight for the same girl abi na wetin. Don't tell me its just "What Does Computer Networking Entail?" dats bringing dis?
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by oasis: 1:00am On Mar 29, 2006
@Typewriter

Channel your energy toward positive thinking. You waste a lot of time on trivilities.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 8:18am On Mar 29, 2006
well now that we are out and flat lets go back to the topic

a computer network engineer is a high-level LAN/WAN technician who plans, implements and supports network solutions between multiple platforms. A network engineer installs and maintains local area network hardware and software, and troubleshoots network usage and computer peripherals. He may have CNE certification.

but “I started out as a systems Unix administrator, then moved to network engineering, then switched to being a programmer, and now I’m managing a company and handling business development,” says one former network professional. The same thinking that makes for a talented network engineer applies well to programming, systems administration, and other sorts of fields employing logic, like engineering. However, the skills themselves are very specific, narrow, and vertical. “There aren’t really any industries where parallel skills would be appropriate. It’s not like you can say, ‘oh, I see how this could apply to being a chef,’ for example.”

thefore the Question

I am interested in pursuing a career in the Computer Information Systems field. I would like to know what responsibilities such a career would consist of. That is, what could I do in this field?

Get the answer below

Employment opportunities for CIS graduates continues to be very positive. The demand for CIS graduates has increased for the past several years, and it should continue to increase for at least the next five years.

Job titles and descriptions vary from business to business. Therefore, the following job descriptions are not meant to imply that all persons with the following job titles perform the same duties and responsibilities.

Careers:

1. Systems Analyst:

Systems Analysts work closely with managers, software programmers, and computer users to pinpoint needs and reach goals. Businesses of all types rely on Systems Analysts to integrate and upgrade their systems and ensure that they run smoothly. An entry-level analyst might work closely with end-users to analyze their needs and design an information system solution.

2. Database Analyst:

A Database Analyst is a persons that must be familiar with the organization's database structure and assists systems analysts and business programmers in developing or modifying applications that use the database.

3. Database Administrator

Database Administrators interact with top management, end users, and system developers to do long range information planning and design. The Database Administrator is responsible for improving database performance, ensuring the overall security of the database, and for providing training and support to users.

4. Web Developer Webmaster Web Engineer

Web Developers design, implement, and support Web applications. Most Webmasters Web Developers Web Engineers maintain a company's Web site, but the responsibilities vary from company to company. A Webmaster may develop the content and graphics for a Web site. A Webmaster may control the infrastructure for a Web site. A Webmaster may coordinate a team of Web developers that work on a Web site. Helpful software to know if you desire to become a Webmaster are HTML, Java, and JavaScript. A Webmaster also needs to know about servers and databases.
A Web Developer may be responsible for supporting the marketing related features of a Web site. Helpful software to know includes HTML, Java, JavaScript, Perl, and VBScript. It is also a plus to know Adobe PhotoShop and Macromedia Flash. Two of the more popular certifications for Web Developers are through the IWA (International Webmaster Association) and WOW (World Organization of Webmasters).

5. Help Desk Technical Support Application Support

Most medium to large organizations have Help Desk Operators to assist with computer questions. A Help Desk Operator may answer software and/or hardware questions for employees over the telephone, e-mail, or in person. A help desk operator may also assist in writing and maintaining Help Desk Manuals. The Help Desk Operator position is usually an entry-level position and will help a person gain experience. A Help Desk Operator can be promoted to a Help Desk Manager or other technology positions.

6. Webcasting

Webcasting features streaming rich multimedia. A Webcast is similar to a television broadcast, but airs on the Internet. Employment opportunities are available for people with knowledge in a range of fields, including production and camera use, content development and technical writing, audio/visual expertise, engineering, networking, and other technical areas.

7. PC Technician - Field Engineer

Responsibilities of a PC Technician might include installation of hardware, troubleshooting hardware, and repairing hardware. This also requires to have a A++ certification, or MCSE. Other responsibilities may include software installation and upgrade and troubleshooting software. Because this career field has to work with end users, communication skills as well as technical skills are very important in this job.

A field Engineer is like the PC technican except that they are out in the field servicing equipment. Now in the Cellular Phone Industry just knowing how to resolve PC issues doesn't complete the requirement. You will need to know about the Cellular Phone Industry, and some Engineering courses on Cellular Industry would also help.

8. Communications Analyst - Network Engineer

A Communication Analyst helps in the research, design, installation, and maintenance of local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs). Common environments include voice, fiber optics, and TCP/IP. The Communications Analyst assists with connectivity problems; they analyze data flow; they configure routers and switches; they maintain firewalls.

9. Applications Programmers - Software Developer

An Applications Programmer writes software to handle specific jobs.

10. Programmer/Analyst - Systems Integration Engineer

Computer Programmers write detailed instructions that list in logical order the steps the computer must follow to organize data, solve a problem, or do some other task. They test the operation of programs to be sure instructions are correct and will produce the desired information. If errors occur, programs must be changed and rechecked until they produce the correct results. They prepare instruction sheets for computer operators who will run the programs.

11. Network Administrator

A Network Administrator must have a thorough knowledge of operating system software as well as network operating system software. A Network Administrator ensures that servers and workstations operate properly. Network Administrators maintain backups and security procedures. Network Administrators often have some type of certification such as MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer), CNE (Certified Novel Engineer), or CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate).

12. Systems Administrator

A System Administrator must have a thorough knowledge of operating system software as well as network operating system software. The primary job of a System Administrator deals with full management of a system such as a Application Servers, Database Servers, Primary Domain Controllers, Backup Domain Controllers.

Now this just covers a few of the many possibilities in the field of Computer Information Systems. For example, the Medical field is another field that covers all of the above but deals with MEDICAL information only.

OK, think about, it, have fun!

Kind Regards,
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by ojd(m): 8:38am On Mar 29, 2006
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 8:45am On Mar 29, 2006
ojd:

undecided undecided undecided undecided

wake up boy its the Month of March
you better march along or you be marched upon

take a decision man
which profession do u want to take to cool grin grin

sing like a bird grin grin grin
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by ojd(m): 10:10pm On Mar 30, 2006
Typewriter:

wake up boy its the Month of March
you better march along or you be marched upon

take a decision man
which profession do u want to take to cool grin grin

sing like a bird grin grin grin

wats up wit u man? If u care to know, I am a network administrator for three years now, wat else?
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 12:28am On Apr 01, 2006
sorry i never asked what you are i said wake up(take a decision)
cos you posted undecided undecided undecided undecided
well now that you told me your an Net Admin it will be Nice to help with the topic don't you think?
tell us all about it. cos i stopped being a Net Admin 3yrs Ago.(long time in this computer business cos innovation is always out every 3-6 months) so what is up and new in Net Adiministation as at now?
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by EJaja(m): 10:16am On Apr 02, 2006
The truth of the matter since posted my question about networking no one has given me a very much impressive answer. i simply want to go into computer networking and from the Little information i gathered i have to first get to no the basic which is network administration, but apart from that i would like to no what come after must have gotten the basics and as for u Typewriter can u plse send me the book u have on networking pls
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by oasis: 6:52pm On Apr 02, 2006
The truth of the matter since posted my question about networking no one has given me a very much impressive answer. i simply want to go into computer networking and from the Little information i gathered i have to first get to no the basic which is network administration, but apart from that i would like to no what come after must have gotten the basics and as for u Typewriter can u plse send me the book u have on networking please

Ask clear questions, and you'd get clear answers. Nobody here is psychic, or a mind reader.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 2:49pm On Apr 07, 2006
well try removing the word entail and re phrase ur ajuju (Igbo sorry question)
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by ability(m): 9:39pm On Apr 11, 2006
It really great to be here, I have been following all the discussion in this forum and it shows that the gurus in the IT world are all coming over here to send out encouraging words to all.

I will like to be part of this knowledge, I want to be an IT experts but i have no money to get to skool where i can learn it. Coming in to this forum i have some relieve off my head. I`m now relax and ready to learn from you all my brothers. Pls

Teach me pls.
If need be to call my attantion call this number, 08022132445

I wait to be Mentored.
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by Typewriter(m): 2:09pm On Apr 13, 2006
well ask your questions and send me credit to my mail address so that i call you on GSM
you can't have education on phone and want me to foot the phone bills for you as well
Re: What Does Computer Networking Entail? by ability(m): 7:27pm On Apr 13, 2006
Typewriter you are right, I cant have education on phone, but i think u can send it thru email to me if u care to help.
Am really in need of IT education and i promise that u will be proud of me later.
The main area am mostly interested at the moment is all about Network Administration

Please kindly send me all the needed information and the course content for that, i will be glad to start this up with u online, my mail is abilityhelper@yahoo.com
waiting for ur mail.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Starcomms iboost- A Software Meant To Greatly Increase Internet Surf Speed. / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway / Get Direct UK Used Apple Macbook With Windows Installed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.