Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,093 members, 7,825,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) (61665 Views)

I Graduated With 2:1 But This Is Making Two Years Now No Work / Can This Car Be Used For Bolt Or Uber Job? (photos) / Can One Rent An Apartment Of 250k Per Annum With 80k Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Farid24224(m): 11:48am On Feb 23, 2022
Blackfire:
Ordinary 120M...

Poor people eeehh

Little insignificant things excite them

Make I send my akant make you bless me with ORDINARY 1M ooooo.. Ordinary
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Phut(f): 11:48am On Feb 23, 2022
He graduated from Cornell, that alone gives him the edge. Cornell is an Ivy League school. Kids, do not try this at home.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by DaRuud(m): 11:48am On Feb 23, 2022
I am currently the last in my department with 1.9 cgpa

That means i will get a #120m job after graduation.

Village people i don land oooooooh

WriterNig:

A young man identified as Jeffrey Zhang has advised job seekers to always negotiate salaries themselves with their prospective employers as he celebrated getting a job paying him $250k (N120 million).

In a LinkedIn post, the Ivy League school graduate, precisely Cornell University, New York revealed that he actually finished the bottom of his class with a CGPA of 2.9.

He however didn't allow that to make him feel inferior and confidently negotiated his pay with his now employer Oracle where he'd be working as a graduate product manager. Jeffrey sounded a note of warning to people never to accept the first salary offer given to them.

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Sirchiboy: 11:49am On Feb 23, 2022
Blackfire:
Ordinary 120M...

Poor people eeehh

Little insignificant things excite them
I implore you now to transfer the sum of 10m into my account now
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by cardoctor(m): 11:49am On Feb 23, 2022
You get long leg be dat
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Saintmary(f): 11:49am On Feb 23, 2022
To negotiate, you have to have leverage.

From his mail, he was leveraging on his experience at Microsoft and Akmal.

We all know that they won't want Microsoft to get a hold of him especially since he pointed out that the cost of living is low in Seattle.

So, if you want your negotiation power to be strong, build your profile first.

1 Like

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by tctrills: 11:49am On Feb 23, 2022
Dalil8:
Only if you know your worth
Only if you have other alternatives and if there is a worker shortage as there is in the US right now
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by cassidy1996(m): 11:49am On Feb 23, 2022
na contract and outsourcing jobs, full Niger. so you can't try such here
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by DaRuud(m): 11:50am On Feb 23, 2022
I am currently the last in my department with 1.9 cgpa

That means i will get a #120m job after graduation.����

Ope oooooooooiih ������������������

Village people i don land oooooooh
�����������������
WriterNig:

A young man identified as Jeffrey Zhang has advised job seekers to always negotiate salaries themselves with their prospective employers as he celebrated getting a job paying him $250k (N120 million).

In a LinkedIn post, the Ivy League school graduate, precisely Cornell University, New York revealed that he actually finished the bottom of his class with a CGPA of 2.9.

He however didn't allow that to make him feel inferior and confidently negotiated his pay with his now employer Oracle where he'd be working as a graduate product manager. Jeffrey sounded a note of warning to people never to accept the first salary offer given to them.

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by iLegendd(m): 11:50am On Feb 23, 2022
It is what it is. Smartness over intelligence, but it's not bad to have both.

1 Like

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Bigbright7(m): 11:51am On Feb 23, 2022
Sorry but in Nigeria. Immediately you'll see a replacement.

For electrical installation of your upcoming building project check my sig.
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by nedekid: 11:52am On Feb 23, 2022
Awon motivational speakers undecided
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by FireUpNow(m): 11:52am On Feb 23, 2022
Not in Nigeria that is obsessed with first class degree, 2-1 and co
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by efficiencie(m): 11:53am On Feb 23, 2022
WriterNig:

1.0 CGPA in an Ivy league university will get you a fat job where a 5.0 CGPA in Nigerian Day Care Universities may not bail you out of the hands of unemployment.
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Goldie16(f): 11:53am On Feb 23, 2022
Why is the black guy at the extreme end of the table?
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Validated: 11:54am On Feb 23, 2022
Op so $1 is now N480? Do you have some to sell? I need $10000 only.

You see why is is very foolish for anyone with a stable paying job to relocate to Nigeria? You lose value. Tell me who would afford to pay half of that to a professional young graduate in Nigeria.
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by pocohantas(f): 11:54am On Feb 23, 2022
Saintmary:
To negotiate, you have to have leverage.

From his mail, he was leveraging on his experience at Microsoft and Akmal.

We all know that they won't want Microsoft to get a hold of him especially since he pointed out that the cost of living is low in Seattle.

So, if you want your negotiation power to be strong, build your profile first.

No mind am. He has skills and experience. Plus he graduated from an Ivy League school. Make person wey go EBSU, come teach for Uncle Joe Primary School try am first. grin

2 Likes

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Elxandre(m): 11:55am On Feb 23, 2022
Rebuke:
Congratulations to him.

Some people will not dare this in naija, the competition is high and lots of people with even higher qualifications are on the line and ready to accept even a lower offer.

However, this is my kind of thing. I tell yhu what I want and I let yhu decide on taking me or get lost grin grin grin

That's what happens when yhu know yhur worth.
What's yhu for crying out loud sad
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Elxandre(m): 11:56am On Feb 23, 2022
seborrhic:
His colleagues maybe building companies of their own and employing people,he is celebrating negotiating a high salary from his employer.
There is no single moral in this story.
If he had said he graduated bottom of his class but is now employing people that graduated with better grades than him,or that he now owns his own business making several thousands or even millions while his colleagues are still working 9-5 under employers,it would have made more sense.
It's written there he now owns his startup.
Una no go read. angry
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by magnificient7: 11:57am On Feb 23, 2022
Before you use this as an example to massage your laziness and lack of diligence in graduating with a 2.2 or even lower, consider these,

Dude has done internships, emphasis on the plural "s", in reputable company.
Secondly, he went to an ivy league school,
Thirdly, which is probably the most important, its not just about knowing your worth, dude has a strong bargaining chip, he has another offer from Microsoft to consider. Hence, even if oracle refuse to raise the salary, he can simply go to Microsoft... Its still a win win situation.

Lastly,even in America, the initial 120k per month is still a good pay.

Abeg, better go read your book and make good grades. Even if it doesn't help you in the job market, it will atleast boost your confidence say you no be dummy

3 Likes

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Oduduwa707: 11:57am On Feb 23, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Buliwyf: 11:58am On Feb 23, 2022
Phut:
He graduated from Cornell, that alone gives him the edge. Cornell is an Ivy League school. Kids, do not try this at home.

Don't mind him. He is talking as if he is an average Joe. His classmates are some of the people running Fortune 500 companies today. The alumni connections he has alone by default is what some people are clicking randomly on LinkedIn for.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Oduduwa707: 11:59am On Feb 23, 2022
Myzubby:
ok also remember to help your friends

9ja mentality! Those same friends that are secretly wishing you bad, abi? undecided
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Lordbinsmar: 12:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
Naa persin wey see job dey negotiate pay naa
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by rufflychux(m): 12:01pm On Feb 23, 2022
A Bird at hand is worth more than ₦120m in the bushes. And did he say he quit to start up his own company called Boba Chats? This man dey pull una legs Ooo... Do NOT believe everything you read online.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by jamace(m): 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2022
Dalil8:
Only if you know your worth
And your employer accepts that you are worth it. grin
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by TheManOfTheYear: 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2022
Raalsalghul:

I'm not sure it's contract based.

The only logical explanation is that he has developed and mastered some skill sets to the extent that Oracle is willing to part with such large sums in order to clinch him.

Don't take stories like this at face value, there are many layers involved. wink
Lol spot on!
He mentioned the job was a Product Manager job, that's a tech job, meaning it's skilled.
He mastered the skillset, packaged his CV and presented himself well.
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by wonder233: 12:06pm On Feb 23, 2022
Fake LinkedIn stories
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by Invictus2214: 12:06pm On Feb 23, 2022
That is how God work, people that think they are useless God up lift them, God in us is the hope of our glory, class struggle does not near God favour
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by fabienjoe: 12:07pm On Feb 23, 2022
That's a country where business is real. Competition takes place and businesses are looking for innovation and cutting edge to get ahead. My experience with interviews in developed countries is that no one actually asks for your qualifications initially. They read your cover letter and CV ( no doubt low grade won't be a very good advert, but graduating from an Ivy league institution is) and invite you for an interview if they consider you a good fit. You're hired purely on your performance at the interview. Your certificates are needed for documentation after you've secured the job. .

In Nigeria, in contrast, businesses are not necessarily competing on equal keel. They need you to just do routine jobs requiring no special skills or innovation. Most businesses here thrive on government patronage rather than innovation and are more inclined to employing people that have connections in government, which is why you have terms like Politically Exposed Persons'...The richest person in Nigeria deals on pedestrian goods like sugar, flour, cement etc..Richest men elsewhere are innovators like Elon Musk, Richard Branson, Bill Gates etc..I'm not aware of any innovative product that came out of Nigeria .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by MisterKennedy(m): 12:08pm On Feb 23, 2022
WriterNig:

Lol. The guy is just lucky and he's feeling entitled. Another employer might see you as an ungrateful SOB

Try this BS with naija employers you go regret say you go school. Dey there dey wine yourself. You're just lucky and privileged. Don't advice others to join your foolish bandwagon.
Re: I Graduated Bottom Of My Class But Got A ₦120m-Per-Annum Job (Photos) by GreyLaw(m): 12:08pm On Feb 23, 2022
seborrhic:
His colleagues maybe building companies of their own and employing people,he is celebrating negotiating a high salary from his employer.
There is no single moral in this story.
If he had said he graduated bottom of his class but is now employing people that graduated with better grades than him,or that he now owns his own business making several thousands or even millions while his colleagues are still working 9-5 under employers,it would have made more sense.

There are lessons to learn from the story but you chose to be blind to them so as to criticise the young guy. What do you mean by his mates building companies of their own? Must everybody own a company? This guy just graduated and is starting from here. Yours is the kind of mentality that has driven many young Nigerians to evil acts.

The young man may have come from a poor home. Even doctors don't earn 250k for a start whether in the US or the UK or anywhere in the world. Today he is working, making huge income and learning wt the same time. Tomorrow he may build his own company with his wealth of experience.

If you don't see anything good in the guy, a lot of us do and appreciate him. Today with crypto currencies, nfts etc people are becoming millionnaires from the comfort of their bedrooms and with taps on their phones/computers and you are here berating a happy guy for helping to inspire others who want to get their life going.

If some of his mates are building companies, how about his mates who are poor, dead, jobless, mad, etc? I don't know why your post is so annoying to me.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Preparing To Attend An Interview? Read This / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! / Federal University Of Health Sciences, 2020 FUHSO Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.