Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act (43602 Views)

Will The New Electoral Law Eliminate Rigging In 2023? / 2023: INEC Picks Holes In New Electoral Act, Seeks Practice Direction / 2023 Elections: New Electoral Law Now Awaits NASS, Presidency – INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by NoApology(m): 7:56pm On Feb 25, 2022
Here is the summary of ten key provisions of the new ELECTORAL ACT LAW as signed today by President Buhari.

1. Clause 29(1) stipulates that parties must conduct primaries and submit their list of candidates at least 180 days before the general elections.

2. Clause 65 states that INEC can review results declared under duress.

3. Clause 3(3) states that funds for general elections must be released at least one year before the election.

4. Clause 51 says that the total number of accredited voters will become a factor in determining over-voting at election tribunals.

5. Clause 54(2) makes provisions for people with disabilities and special needs.

6. Clause 47 gives legislative backing for smart card readers and any other voter accreditation technology that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) deploys.

7. Clause 34 gives political parties power to conduct a primary election to replace a candidate who died during an election.

8. Clause 50 gives INEC the legal backing for electronic transmission of election results.

9. Clause 94 allows for early commencement of the campaign season. By this provision, the campaign season will now start 150 days to the election day and end 24 hours before the election.

10. Clause 84 stipulates that anyone holding a political office – ministers, commissioners, special advisers, and others – must relinquish the position before they can be eligible to participate in the electoral process either as a candidate or as a delegate.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by NoApology(m): 7:57pm On Feb 25, 2022
Lalasticlala
Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Mooh247: 8:02pm On Feb 25, 2022
grin

This is my favourite clause;

10. Clause 84 stipulates that anyone holding a political office – ministers, commissioners, special advisers, and others – must relinquish the position before they can be eligible to participate in the electoral process either as a candidate or as a delegate.

Will Prof Osinbajo, Ameachi, Dave Umahi, Orji Uzor Kalu and Rochas Okorocha resign by June 2022 so as to participate in the 2023 Election

310 Likes 22 Shares

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by judatech: 8:05pm On Feb 25, 2022
Implementation is key...not the law itself...

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by NawtyC001(m): 8:06pm On Feb 25, 2022
That number 10 fit cause fight oo

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by richiemcgold: 8:20pm On Feb 25, 2022
I'm for that number 7.
It has always been my opinion that parties should be allowed to maintain and complete their mandate after the death of a serving lawmaker.
..but I'm disappointed this amended law isn't applicable when there's deflection by a serving lawmaker or governor.

14 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by vicdom(m): 8:51pm On Feb 25, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Will Prof Osinbajo, Ameachi, Dave Umahi, Orji Uzor Kalu and Rochas Okorocha resign by June 2022 so as to participate in the 2023 Election

You got it wrong... It's only for political appointed positions and not for elective positions. Osibanjo, Umahi are elective positions holders, hence they are not caught up. Only the appointed position holders like ministers, commissioners and others are barred. Although, Buhari had rejected that section of the bill and he had a discussion, prior to his assent with both chambers' representatives to remove that section as it contravens our constitution and they agreed to remove it.
I think Buhari is trying to protect Emefele, Amaechi's interests cheesy

138 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by daveP(m): 8:54pm On Feb 25, 2022
Number 10 is the hilarious and well plced clause. It’s going to affect mostly APC candidates.

That 2 is somehow too.

Cant they do something to eliminate duress mishaps instead of that clause?

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Mooh247: 8:55pm On Feb 25, 2022
vicdom:

You got it wrong... It's only for political appointment positions and not for elective positions. Osibanjo, Umahi are elective positions holders, hence they are not caught up. Only the appointment position holders like ministers, commissioners and others are barred. Although, Buhari had rejected that position and had a discussion with both chambers representatives to remove that section as it contravens our constitution.

Ok

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Cubalabloo(m): 9:21pm On Feb 25, 2022
Enforcing the laws has been our major problem. There are already existing laws which if rightly implemented, our country would have been an abode of prosperity. Our politicians and the judiciary always find a way to put the game to bed!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Elsmufy: 9:33pm On Feb 25, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Osibanjo and amechi have Notting to lose they will be out of office next year so resigning now is Notting to them

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by yemmit90: 9:43pm On Feb 25, 2022
I dont see anything special about this controversial electoral act bill except electronic transmission of results, only if it would be done from each polling unit.

34 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by ebenezary(m): 9:58pm On Feb 25, 2022
Nawao
Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by chigonye: 11:44pm On Feb 25, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

I guess they have to win their party primaries first Once any one of them is confirmed their party bearer then they are expected to relinquish their current position.

Buty question is, will this also apply to the president if he was seeking a reelection?�

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by chigonye: 11:44pm On Feb 25, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

I guess they have to win their party primaries first Once any one of them is confirmed their party bearer then they are expected to relinquish their current position.

But my question is, will this also apply to the president if he was seeking a reelection?�

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Mooh247: 12:16am On Feb 26, 2022
chigonye:

Buty question is, will this also apply to the president if he was seeking a reelection?�

Someone said it is only political appointees and not elected officials not sure tho

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Rickmann: 12:21am On Feb 26, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

Will Prof Osinbajo, Ameachi, Dave Umahi, Orji Uzor Kalu and Rochas Okorocha resign by June 2022 so as to participate in the 2023 Election.

Nigeria awaits
Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Akwamkpuruamu: 10:57am On Feb 26, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

No, it's only Ameachi that should. Others are elected positions and not appointments

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Afonjashapmouth: 10:58am On Feb 26, 2022
LAMBA STILL EASIER WAY TO MANIPULATE ..... SOON WE SHALL HEAR ABOUT THE DATABASE ISSUE. WE CELEBRATE NONSENSE IN THIS CLIME. WAS NIN DATABASE NOT DOWN FOR ALMOST 2 WEEKS AND NOTHING AFFILIATED WAS ABLE TO FUNCTION? WE OPT FOR THINGS WE ARE NOT READY FOR.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by badboyTee(m): 10:58am On Feb 26, 2022
Werey law in a lawless zoo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Nobody: 10:58am On Feb 26, 2022
Buhari sure wants the honour from GEJ on having organized the best election that ever happened in Nigeria..

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Danisaint112(m): 10:58am On Feb 26, 2022
For those in support of Russia Shey una dey see. Russia is about to be totally Isolated in the world. grin

It's so unfortunate my brother's would be relocating because of one man's unnecessary and senseless decision.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by 29slayers(f): 10:59am On Feb 26, 2022
Wow...so cool.
We expect free and fair election now grin
Thanks to bubu.
Check my bio for legit IG hokup

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by Danisaint112(m): 10:59am On Feb 26, 2022
War is not just about the weapons but about the mindset too. Na stone David use kill Goliath.

Between this is the latest headline; "The Ukrainian army and Civilians are doggedly defending defending their state.

I would say it again, "Wether Putin wins or loosses, trust me Russia won't get away with this."
Quote me anywhere

I just laugh those who talk down on U.S and Nato sanctions. You only know that Putin don't care about the sanctions but trust me you guys don't know jerk about sanctions.

If you are a Nigerian Student living in Russia or probably a business man just start making plans to relocate cause soon that place will be as useless as shit.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by dfrost: 10:59am On Feb 26, 2022
Mooh247:
grin

cheesy

Interesting times ahead. Bubu ti gba wo handicap 4.2 grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by olorunthobby(f): 11:00am On Feb 26, 2022
I have been reading about the new Electoral Bill and I feel a new surge of hope in my heart for Nigeria. I hope this doesn't fall in the category of the other laws that have been passed but forgotten. Like the Cyber Crime Act 2015 for example.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Know About The New Electoral Act by hemico8228: 11:00am On Feb 26, 2022
I dont see anything special about this controversial electoral act bill except electronic transmission of results

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

More Pictures From Peter Obi Presidential Campaign Rally In Borno State / Leaked Tape: Tinubu Promises APC Members Good Money If Buhari Wins / Osinbajo Wants To Scam You - Sowore Tells Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.