Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,359 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? (36644 Views)

Ukraine: What Will Happen If EU & NATO Countries Refuse To Pay For Russia's Gas? / Russia Vs Ukraine: The Lies, Misinformation And Outright Propaganda (Fact Check) / James Cleverly Tells Russian Generals To Stage A Coup Against Putin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by CaptainMarvel(m): 5:30pm On Feb 27, 2022
olas24u:
China launched its Cross-Border Interbank Payment System (CIPS) in 2015, using the yuan. Russia developed its System for Transfer of Financial Messages (SPFS). To build an independent Russian-Chinese financial system by linking the two should not be a problem. The main question is to choose the standard currency – possibly the yuan.

Once the system is up and running, that’s perfect for Iran, which badly wants to increase trade with Russia but remains handicapped by US sanctions. Iran has already signed trade agreements and is involved in long-term strategic development with both Russia and China.

Interesting…And Iran is such an incredibly wealthy country…only the US sanctions is impeding its global trade growth

1 Like

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by alphaNomega: 5:31pm On Feb 27, 2022
HitSong:
[s][/s]
Shut up!

So many brainless and ignorant sympathizers in Nigeria sha
Too many idiots angry
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by inoki247: 5:32pm On Feb 27, 2022
alphaNomega:
What is firstbank's swift code?

Lol you don forget I can use Google to du dat cos I can't know all bank Swift code at least av use Swift code to send Money from Zambia before to Nigeria but I can't du d same in Nigeria..
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Amule5000us(m): 5:32pm On Feb 27, 2022
Russian only lose war on Netflix movies but in real life they are undefeated....

1 Like

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by 9gerian: 5:35pm On Feb 27, 2022
I agree Putin went overboard with this move but you seem to have missed the point of the support Putin is getting.

The US has used its forces and NATO to destabilize quite a number of countries in recent past (Yugoslavia, Iraq, Syria, Libya etc), some of which have remained comatose even till now. And the US and NATO did this by doing exactly what Russia is doing now (attacking sovereign nations under cooked up excuses) instead of deferring to the UN for practical solutions. So why the sudden outrage by the same US and the same NATO? Where is the sanction against the US and NATO for the Iraq invasion (especially after establishing that there was no weapon of mass destruction). Or for the Libya destabilization, or Syria that almost became like Libya but for Russia’s intervention.

Are there different rules for different countries belonging to the same organization (UN). If the UN has rules, then let everyone obey those rules, else dangerous precedents are set for others to follow. The world does not need an all-too-powerful country (US) and it’s gang of enforcers (NATO), who themselves are above the law because with great power comes greater responsibility. Russia is the only one (with support from China) that has been able to check some of the excesses of the US and its allies to an extent, and the balance of power needs to be kept to prevent an “absolute power that corrupts absolutely” situation.

I think this is where the support from not just Nigerians but even some Americans and other lovers of true freedom, not for the invasion but for equity, stems from.

It is the same thing that Fela sang about- who and who unite for United Nations? 1 person vote is equal to 92, or more…

Hopefully, the UN can readjust itself to reign in the excesses of all the so called super powers without fear or favor. This includes the US, NATO countries, Russia, China etc.

Poopypants:
I don’t think most Nairalanders know what these sanctions , Biden got world leaders that can’t even agree on a cup of coffee to agree in sanctioning Putin . Biden reported about this invasion before it was a thing, and same people are about getting russia kicked out of SWIFT.

1 dollar was worth 76 Russian rubble last week but currently today its worth 83 Russian rubble to a dollar, and the sanctions haven’t even really kicked in yet. You Nairaland urchins keep praising Putin not realizing he is loosing massively . His last card is nuclear weapon, and that will be his demise, so I ask again to the idiots shilling this guy, how is Putin win this in anyway to warrant that stupid supports he gets only here on Nairaland by few Nigerians in nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by dappydozzy(m): 5:36pm On Feb 27, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:
The Kremlin dwarf would only lead Russians to destruction!

The impact of the sanctions will mostly be felt by citizens as it has been before.

The oligarchs looting the country dry will always find their way out.

Sanctions don't destroy countries, why the Eastward expansion of NATO what is even the relevance of NATO in this century, what the US won't tolerate they impose on other countries. If Trump was the president, the invasion would not have happened.

3 Likes

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by SmartyPants(m): 5:37pm On Feb 27, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

The impact of the sanctions will mostly be felt by citizens as it has been before.

Not this time. The sanctions are directly targetted at the top oligarchs and Putin himself, in a wave of expulsions, travel bans, and asset freezes.
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by InvertedHammer: 5:38pm On Feb 27, 2022
olas24u:
China launched its Cross-Border Interbank Payment System (CIPS) in 2015, using the yuan. Russia developed its System for Transfer of Financial Messages (SPFS). To build an independent Russian-Chinese financial system by linking the two should not be a problem. The main question is to choose the standard currency – possibly the yuan.

Once the system is up and running, that’s perfect for Iran, which badly wants to increase trade with Russia but remains handicapped by US sanctions. Iran has already signed trade agreements and is involved in long-term strategic development with both Russia and China.
/
Let's say that no one country can fight the global financial machinery. US is exerting pressure on everyone and throwing their diplomatic power around. China will not risk her trade with US because of Russia. There is no permanent friendship but permanent interests--one key thing Nigerians don't understand.
/

1 Like

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Awesometouch1: 5:40pm On Feb 27, 2022
If you ask me, Russia may be busy making trouble and fighting the countries that it'll run to for help in future.
Europe or America is not Russia's problem. It's China they should be concerned about if they have foresight.
China could most likely be the nation that'll terrorise the future generations of Russians.

1 Like

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by tonididdy(m): 5:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
oluwaseyi0:

Unless you will use Edo airways most nations are banning flight to Russia
Nation wey ready to do business, the president go deliver the money himself.
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

Did you read?
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by JOemmy(m): 5:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
nairaman66:
Russia’s demands to me are credible in my opinion. You can’t allow a breakaway region to flirt with the west knowing how susceptible their boundaries are with Russia. Though this is debatable, but you need to realize that the west have been having a free ride in this case scenario!

When the US went into Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya nobody sanctioned them or anything. The US should be cautious in this situation. Putin is like a mad man with a lighter in a gas station.

Iraq, Afghanistan and lybia were all sponsoring terrorists from their countries and killed thausands of innocent americans before the US decided to invaded them. Saddam Hussein committed genocide using chemical weapons to wipe out thausands in the kudish region in Iraq before president Bush ordered the invasion and overthrow of Saddam. But this Russian invasion of peaceful Ukraine is totally unprovoked Ukraine is a sovereign nation and have every right to choose where to belong.

1 Like

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Maghan37: 5:46pm On Feb 27, 2022
Interesting and Enlightening post bro. Thanks for adding to my knowledge base.
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by CrownedPhoenix: 5:48pm On Feb 27, 2022
Wow
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 27, 2022
Poopypants:
I don’t think most Nairalanders know what these sanctions , Biden got world leaders that can’t even agree on a cup of coffee to agree in sanctioning Putin . Biden reported about this invasion before it was a thing, and same people are about getting russia kicked out of SWIFT.

1 dollar was worth 76 Russian rubble last week but currently today its worth 83 Russian rubble to a dollar, and the sanctions haven’t even really kicked in yet. You Nairaland urchins keep praising Putin not realizing he is loosing massively . His last card is nuclear weapon, and that will be his demise/death. So I ask again to the idiots shilling this guy, how is Putin winning this in anyway, what’s he doing to warrant that stupid supports he gets only here on Nairaland by few Nigerians in nigeria?

My wish is only that you know this, in war there is no victors. Everybody gets it fair share. And as it stands I only pity Ukraine because they are being used as pawn even when they have the power to stop all this nonsense. Ego won't let them. Why not agree not to join Nato at least for now until you have a game plan that won't result to lose of life of your citizens?
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by mabea: 5:56pm On Feb 27, 2022
nairaman66:
Russia’s demands to me are credible in my opinion. You can’t allow a breakaway region to flirt with the west knowing how susceptible their boundaries are with Russia. Though this is debatable, but you need to realize that the west have been having a free ride in this case scenario!

When the US went into Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya nobody sanctioned them or anything. The US should be cautious in this situation. Putin is like a mad man with a lighter in a gas station.

Exactly. The US or you can say NATO are not primarily concerned with Ukraine joining them rather they want to oust Putin.....
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Blaine756(m): 6:00pm On Feb 27, 2022
What you see there in the exchange rate is the greed and fear index of people, once people see that Russia might have a upper hand, I swear na katakana ruble go stand with dollar.

Poopypants:

1 dollar was worth 76 Russian rubble last week but currently today its worth 83 Russian rubble to a dollar, and the sanctions haven’t even really kicked in yet. You Nairaland urchins keep praising Putin not realizing he is loosing massively . His last card is nuclear weapon, and that will be his demise/death. So I ask again to the idiots shilling this guy, how is Putin winning this in anyway, what’s he doing to warrant that stupid supports he gets only here on Nairaland by few Nigerians in nigeria?
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Feb 27, 2022
JOemmy:

Iraq, Afghanistan and lybia were all sponsoring terrorists from their countries and killed thausands of innocent americans before the US decided to invaded them. Saddam Hussein committed genocide using chemical weapons to wipe out thausands in the kudish region in Iraq before president Bush ordered the invasion and overthrow of Saddam. But this Russian invasion of peaceful Ukraine is totally unprovoked Ukraine is a sovereign nation and have every right to choose where to belong.

Why will you let the media deceive you it unprovoked? Try and do your research dear, so it okey if Russians super powers start leaving in fear abi? So Nato can have military base in Russia door and that seats well with the world right. That hypocrisy
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by CoronaVirusPro: 6:06pm On Feb 27, 2022
SmartyPants:

Not this time. The sanctions are directly targetted at the top oligarchs and Putin himself, in a wave of expulsions, travel bans, and asset freezes.

Those guys would find their way. They are corrupt oligarch’s. The major people that will bare the brunt are citizens

Take a look at the below as at yesterday. Who will this impact the most?

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Loveknitting: 6:06pm On Feb 27, 2022
AustineCJ:
This actually Nigerian time to make it big from oil .... but our leaders are clueless.

And traveling up and down,

Can't believe the old man took a 2weeks vacation, for what exactly I don't know.

1 Like

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by AustineCJ: 6:08pm On Feb 27, 2022
Loveknitting:

And traveling up and down,

Can't believe the old man took a 2weeks vacation, for what exactly I don't know.
Omo ehh seems we are paying for one kind atrocity with the kind leaders we get as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by CoronaVirusPro: 6:08pm On Feb 27, 2022
dappydozzy:

Sanctions don't destroy countries, why the Eastward expansion of NATO what is even the relevance of NATO in this century, what the US won't tolerate they impose on other countries. If Trump was the president, the invasion would not have happened.

Trump is a Russian puppet

The idiot was asked what he would done differently at CPAC yesterday, he had no clue

That is a Russian puppet feeding off Russian Oligarchs. He would have handed off Ukraine
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by hazel222: 6:09pm On Feb 27, 2022
Flier:
It will affect everyone but it will kill Russia,and this needed to be done to send a message to Communist China who is watching right now and planning to attack Taiwan
they will DEVELOP an alternative.
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Klass99(f): 6:11pm On Feb 27, 2022
smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Loveknitting: 6:28pm On Feb 27, 2022
AustineCJ:
Omo ehh seems we are paying for one kind atrocity with the kind leaders we get as a nation.

Let me speak on my behalf,
I don't deserve Buhari, I deserve better leadership than buhari, so is the rest of Nigerians.

The old man is there because of regional stupidities
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by kushme: 6:31pm On Feb 27, 2022
MARKone:
Russia is a huge export economy, more especially it's Gas, Removing them from Swift, will seriously affect other countries that are dependent on imports from Russia. Similar move was made on Iran around 2014, which nearly crippled their economy. I hope Putin will put an end to this destruction. Anyway na their problem.

You sabi something. See this * Kremlin-controlled energy giant Gazprom (MCX:GAZP) said on Sunday that Russian gas exports via Ukraine to Europe continued normally, in line with requests from customers.

Seems like energy is more important than lives to Europe.

Some people for this nairaland no know anything, only to insult..
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Feb 27, 2022
CoronaVirusPro:

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by nairaman66(m): 6:45pm On Feb 27, 2022
JOemmy:

He was ousted out of power because Bush had an Uncompleted task left by his father. He raised an argument that SH owned WMD. Don’t tell me you don’t know this story!
Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by franchasng: 7:05pm On Feb 27, 2022
Poopypants:

Only Muslim terrorists and their sympathizers are cheering Putin thinking that would touch US that stopped them from spreading Muslim terrorism all over the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by peggywebbs(f): 7:06pm On Feb 27, 2022
Guy this is not PS4 or 5...war don't work like that. Just hear yourself, you're talking about war between Russia and Ukraine, and Biden appears multiple times in your statement.

Isn't it obvious that America is trying to get Russia through Ukraine. Why would you think Putin will give up protecting his people? Because of swift? Like the world never existed before swift. There are a thousand alternatives to swift. You're also forgetting Russia has allies that will support it financially, they have reserves like, who goes to war without preparing hard. The world doesn't revolve around US. PS. It would shock you, that there are many enemies of US that are just waiting for the right opportunity to crush them... these people don't do social media, or publicity, it's US that makes noise and now they have a weak president.

Poopypants:

Re: Russia Vs Ukraine: What Is SWIFT And Could It Be Used Against Putin? by derecho(m): 7:06pm On Feb 27, 2022
Is the answer not obvious? Those cheering Putin are doing so out of sheer hate for The U.S. They have repeatedly condemned them for their support for Israel and invasion of Muslim/Arab nations.
Anything that would emasculate America for them, is welcome.
Forget the explanations justifying the invasion. Wait for Israel to invade a neighboring Arab country with the same excuse Russia is giving, then see them change their songs.
Poopypants:

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Women Around The World Protest Against President Trump / Biden Arrives Israel. / Philippines: Taal Volcano Spews Lava, Sends Ash Clouds Into Sky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.