Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament (11953 Views)

Reps Reject Bill Seeking To Set Age Limit For Presidential Candidates At 70 / Reps Reject Innoson Suvs As Official Vehicles / Reps Reject President Buhari’s Executive Order (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Ademola47(m): 9:54pm On Mar 01, 2022
Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament

The House of Representatives has rejected a bill seeking to reserve special seats for Women at the National and State Houses of Assembly.

This followed the rejection of the bill at the electronic voting on the amendment of 1999 Constitution on Tuesday in Abuja.

The bill entitled,” A Bill for an Act to Alter the Provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 to Provide For Special Seats for Women at the National and State Houses of Assembly”.

Eight-one lawmakers voted in favour of the bill, while 208 voted against it and 13 members abstained from voting.

Present at the voting was Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo, the wife of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, who tried to lobby for the adoption of the bill by the lawmakers.
Dolapo was accompanied by Mrs Pauline Tallen, the Minister of Women Affairs, Civil Society Organisations and women groups.

The lawmakers also rejected a bill for an Act to alter the provisions of the 1999 constitution to provide for affirmative action for women in political party administration.

Two hundred and twenty-four lawmakers voted in favour of the bill, falling short of the required 240 votes needed to pass the ball.

But the House via a voice vote adopted a bill seeking for a minimum percentage of women in either ministerial or commissioner appointment.

The bill entitled, “a Bill for an Act to Alter the Provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 to Provide a Minimum Percentage for Women in Ministerial or Commissioner Nominees.”

This, however, was not without the intervention of Speaker Femi Gbajabiamila and some lawmakers who pleaded with their colleagues to allow the bill to be passed.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/reps-reject-bill-for-special-seats-for-women-in-parliament-2/

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Dikegodspower(m): 10:01pm On Mar 01, 2022
I don't understand, what is so special about reserving special seat for women.
Thank God that it didn't scare through o

127 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by qekng40(f): 10:19pm On Mar 01, 2022
There shouldn't be a set number, but the seat should be available fairly for both genders!

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by kenny714433(m): 10:22pm On Mar 01, 2022
Headslammers in severe pain reading this news.

I know that bill must have been sponsored by one of them. Talk of leaving your burning house to chase rats.

12 Likes

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by talktimi(m): 10:27pm On Mar 01, 2022
So, aunty Aisha just breezed in from Dubai on taxpayers money only to have a bill she has special interest in rejected undecided anyways sha, I hope she enjoyed her birthday party. I saw a video of governors wives singing birthday song for her in Dubai, it's not good optically but you won't begrudge women who want to have a good time

9 Likes

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by iCauseTrouble: 10:42pm On Mar 01, 2022
I have never been in support of this useless bill from day one. Let everybody contest on the same platform. They even went as far as organising one stupid townhall meeting late last year and was aired on channels television and anchored by Seun Okinbaloye.
I knew most northern reps and senators will never support the bill and I am very happy HOR rejected the bill.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Lydea: 10:43pm On Mar 01, 2022
Rubber stamp senate

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by CryptoTeacher(m): 10:43pm On Mar 01, 2022
This is how mediocrity starts in the name of equity or equality.

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by odinson1(m): 10:43pm On Mar 01, 2022
Making more Seats to Accommodate women is just Absolute nonsense! What should be done however,is for women To join The already existing seats instead of Waiting for power to be handed over to them just because they are women.
I can see the wives of these politicians are seriously working hard to push More women into power to promote Gender equality. If those men are not careful, their wives will wrestle power away from them and turn them to First Gentlemen.

Climb the ladder like everyone else before you did,nor dey find Special privileges abeg

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by joey150(m): 10:43pm On Mar 01, 2022
Good!! The reps did well here.

I don't think any gender should have special seats in parliament.

We're already trying to abolish our present quota system of governance, we don't want to enter another gender quota.

Our democracy must purely be by merit.

Let the man or woman with the highest vote win.

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by BigBashiru: 10:43pm On Mar 01, 2022
Ademola47:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/03/reps-reject-bill-for-special-seats-for-women-in-parliament-2/

Well done. Last time I checked women are still human beings not god to warrant all these special treatment.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by BwalaMarama: 10:44pm On Mar 01, 2022
grin
Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by blesson04(m): 10:45pm On Mar 01, 2022
What a man can do a woman can't do in Nigeria

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Raxxye(m): 10:45pm On Mar 01, 2022
Working on retrogressive bills everyday, and yet going home with jumbo pay!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by SmartPolician: 10:45pm On Mar 01, 2022
Arguing for women in favour of this debate is the dumbest point I have seen simps make.

If women want to join politics,they should contest like the male folks. Politics is a game cheesy

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by anytexy: 10:45pm On Mar 01, 2022
Musilemization of Parliamentary/senate house.loading... grin grin cheesy
Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Megabig: 10:46pm On Mar 01, 2022
I don’t think that makes sense, I was shocked they rejected a bill to increase the percentage of women seeking political positions in Nigeria. A country where women cannot be heard, it should always be a first step than having a bunch of marounding thieves littered in the chambers

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Lanre4uonly(m): 10:46pm On Mar 01, 2022
Ok, noted.
Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by OBALOLA55(m): 10:46pm On Mar 01, 2022
cool

ITS A MANS WORLD

IF SAPHIERE AND FERNANDEZISBACK NOR LIKE AM MAKE DEY DO THE NEEDFUL ASAP angry

9 Likes

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by NwaNimo1(m): 10:46pm On Mar 01, 2022
Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Newboss(m): 10:47pm On Mar 01, 2022
Very good.

They wan collect seat from backdoor. This one no be toto matter again o. Na politics we dey talk about. No be 10k for short time or urgent 2k

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Premiumwriter: 10:47pm On Mar 01, 2022
This is what we redpillers keep saying. Women do not want equality. They want positions, power and resources to be handed over to them without working for it.

A man will lobby, bribe, fight tooth and claws to get into an office while women want to be given special seat in that same office without any special qualifications.

Nigeria is a free country, if you are a woman and you want to lead the country, then join the fight, prove that you are worthy by winning the struggle against your opponents not being given special privileges like being a woman is a form of disability.

Women are not disabled. They should work for the position they want.

55 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by saintvc(m): 10:48pm On Mar 01, 2022
Do you know that women dominate the nursing profession.

Make a law to reserve minimum number of nurses to be Male.

Feminist koo

30 Likes

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by irepnaija4eva(m): 10:48pm On Mar 01, 2022
A section in The Nigeria are against it. Unfortunately they are the majority.
Is even in their doctrine..
Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Hunchogee: 10:49pm On Mar 01, 2022
Ademola47:

All those simps that voted in Favour are those with majorly female children lol

14 Likes

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by brosom(m): 10:50pm On Mar 01, 2022
qekng40:
There shouldn't be a set number, but the seat should be available fairly for both genders!
b
Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Praxis758: 10:50pm On Mar 01, 2022
My mind is telling me that Parliament members from the core North would be the clogs that opposed this bill.

Simple reasons are because their religious views are opposing to female rising and they also have much higher numbers of members in the lowe chamber.

It was able to scale through the senate because of the fixed 3 senators from each state of the federation u like the varying numbers per state in the lower chamber.
Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by oluwaseyi0: 10:51pm On Mar 01, 2022
Assuming this bill is passed, how will it work?

When a man win, they will strip him of the victory and hand it over to the nearest woman in the name of gender 'equality' and quota

14 Likes

Re: Reps Reject Bill For Special Seats For Women In Parliament by Newboss(m): 10:51pm On Mar 01, 2022
Megabig:
I don’t think that makes sense, I was shocked they rejected a bill to increase the percentage of women seeking political positions in Nigeria. A country where women cannot be heard, it should always be a first step than having a bunch of marounding thieves littered in the chambers

Here we go with lack of logical reasoning ability.

Theft is now a masculine crime and there are currently no women in the chambers. Yeye dey smell.

If you want a seat, go for it. There are no genders in politics. Stop trying to use toto as a leverage to corner office position. You're a human being like the male gender, yet males don't have nothing given to them on a platter, relative to females.

Have some human dignity. The women in the chambers competed against men and other women and came out victorious. That show that women can compete against men in politics and win. Not just in Nigeria, but all over the world.

28 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

DSS Rejects ₦‎1 Million From Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyers To Buy His Medication / Appeal Court To Hear Suit Against Jonathan’s Sole Candidacy Oct. 20 / Akwa Ibom Lawmakers Threaten Lawsuit Against DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.