Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,393 members, 7,850,397 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:29 PM

NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media (1001 Views)

Finland President Surprised At Putin's 'calm' Response To NATO Membership News / Donald Trump Welcomes Uhuru Kenyatta, Kenyan President To The White House. PICS / 'We Wont Kill You, We Will Shoot Your Vagina'- Philippine President To Feminists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by Osariemen12: 9:08pm On May 13, 2022
Sauli Niinistö says he will talk with Russian leader to discuss changed situation following decision to join NATO.

Finnish President Sauli Niinistö reportedly plans to call his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, to discuss the changed security situation in the region now that leaders in Helsinki have decided to join NATO.

Niinistö commented on his planned outreach to Putin in an interview with Sweden’s TT news agency on Friday, one day after issuing a statement that Finland “must apply for NATO membership without delay.” The Kremlin has said that Finland’s accession to NATO would be a threat to Russia and that the US-led military bloc’s eastward expansion is undermining security in the region.

“I’m not the kind of person who just slips around the corner,” Niinistö said of his effort to discuss the issue with Putin. “I am going to call him and say that the situation has changed, as we both know.”

Key NATO member against Sweden and Finland in blocREAD MORE: Key NATO member against Sweden and Finland in bloc
Finland shares a 1,340-kilometer (832-mile) land border with Russia and fought a war with the Soviet Union in 1939. Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, Niinistö and Putin typically met with each other in person twice a year. The Finnish leader traveled to Moscow for a meeting with Putin last October, and the two men spoke by phone in March, when Niinistö raised concerns about the Russian invasion of Ukraine two weeks after the military offensive against Kiev began.

Finland has maintained its military neutrality since the end of World War II, and Finns have historically opposed joining NATO. Public opinion shifted dramatically after Russian forces rolled into Ukraine on February 24. A poll by media outlet YLE found that a record-high 62% of Finns favored NATO membership. Sweden, which has a history of military neutrality dating back more than two centuries, also is considering joining the bloc.

Niinistö and Swedish Prime Minister Magdelana Andersson spoke with US President Joe Biden by telephone on Friday morning, days after the two Nordic leaders met with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson. “We shared a deep concern over Russia’s war on Ukraine,” Niinistö said of Friday’s call with Biden. “I went through Finland’s next steps toward NATO membership. Finland deeply appreciates all the necessary support from the US.”

Although Finnish and Swedish leaders have said Russia’s invasion of Ukraine forced them to rethink their security stance, they’re now looking to do one of the things that allegedly triggered the current conflict: seeking NATO membership. Rather than reaping the expected peace dividend after the cold war ended in 1989, NATO extended its reach right up to Russia’s borders, breaking promises against eastward expansion. The bloc has added 14 new members since 1999, and Ukraine and another former Soviet republic, Georgia, have applied to be part of NATO’s next expansion wave.

Russian leaders have argued that having NATO members and strategic weapons deployed on their country's doorstep violates the principle of “indivisible security,” meaning neither the Western bloc nor Moscow should be allowed to strengthen its own security at the expense of the other party.

Russia attacked Ukraine following the neighboring state’s failure to implement the terms of the Minsk agreements, first signed in 2014, and Moscow’s eventual recognition of the Donbass republics of Donetsk and Lugansk. The German- and French-brokered Minsk Protocol was designed to give the breakaway regions special status within the Ukrainian state.

The Kremlin has since demanded that Ukraine officially declare itself a neutral country that will never join the US-led NATO military bloc. Kiev insists the Russian offensive was completely unprovoked and has denied claims it was planning to retake the two republics by force.

Source: https://www.rt.com/news/555456-finnisih-president-to-call-putin-on-nato-bid/

2 Likes

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by dlaw70(m): 9:10pm On May 13, 2022
G
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by dlaw70(m): 9:14pm On May 13, 2022
dlaw70:
G

May the soul of an innocent Christian girl gruesomely murdered in sokoto rest in peace �

3 Likes

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by Validated: 9:17pm On May 13, 2022
Finland and Sweden have assessed Russia and found they are just big bullirs without balls.
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by Kingpin1000: 9:19pm On May 13, 2022
What does He want to tell Putin, you say you all want join NATO my enemy, I say I go remove my generator wire wey I take give you light, we no get any discussion. Just go buy power bank infact my number no dey ho through again_Putin

4 Likes

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by NwaNimo1(m): 9:19pm On May 13, 2022
koo
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by VeryWickedMan: 9:22pm On May 13, 2022
Better call him before SATAN missile blow you back to 1914
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by sosanova: 9:43pm On May 13, 2022
grin grin
Putin with all his gra gra has succeeded in recruiting Sweden and Finland to NATO

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by HenryWilliams(m): 9:45pm On May 13, 2022
Validated:
Finland and Sweden have assessed Russia and found they are just big bullirs without balls.

The same way Ukraine assessed Russia and
found it weak?

6 Likes

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by sosanova: 9:49pm On May 13, 2022
Sjsj

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by paramakina202: 9:55pm On May 13, 2022
Validated:

They are joining NATO for protection against a possible Russian invasion.
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by sosanova: 9:55pm On May 13, 2022
Putin best NATO recruiter of the year

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by paramakina202: 9:56pm On May 13, 2022
Russia have stopped supplying Finaland with electricity according to CNN News.
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by sosanova: 10:00pm On May 13, 2022
Thanks to Putin, NATO has now expanded directly close to Russia border

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by joyandfaith: 10:01pm On May 13, 2022
Osariemen12:
Sauli Niinistö says he will talk with Russian leader to discuss changed situation following decision to join NATO.

Finnish President Sauli Niinistö reportedly plans to call his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, to discuss the changed security situation in the region now that leaders in Helsinki have decided to join NATO.

Niinistö commented on his planned outreach to Putin in an interview with Sweden’s TT news agency on Friday, one day after issuing a statement that Finland “must apply for NATO membership without delay.” The Kremlin has said that Finland’s accession to NATO would be a threat to Russia and that the US-led military bloc’s eastward expansion is undermining security in the region.

“I’m not the kind of person who just slips around the corner,” Niinistö said of his effort to discuss the issue with Putin. “I am going to call him and say that the situation has changed, as we both know.”

Key NATO member against Sweden and Finland in blocREAD MORE: Key NATO member against Sweden and Finland in bloc
Finland shares a 1,340-kilometer (832-mile) land border with Russia and fought a war with the Soviet Union in 1939. Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, Niinistö and Putin typically met with each other in person twice a year. The Finnish leader traveled to Moscow for a meeting with Putin last October, and the two men spoke by phone in March, when Niinistö raised concerns about the Russian invasion of Ukraine two weeks after the military offensive against Kiev began.

Finland has maintained its military neutrality since the end of World War II, and Finns have historically opposed joining NATO. Public opinion shifted dramatically after Russian forces rolled into Ukraine on February 24. A poll by media outlet YLE found that a record-high 62% of Finns favored NATO membership. Sweden, which has a history of military neutrality dating back more than two centuries, also is considering joining the bloc.

Niinistö and Swedish Prime Minister Magdelana Andersson spoke with US President Joe Biden by telephone on Friday morning, days after the two Nordic leaders met with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson. “We shared a deep concern over Russia’s war on Ukraine,” Niinistö said of Friday’s call with Biden. “I went through Finland’s next steps toward NATO membership. Finland deeply appreciates all the necessary support from the US.”

Although Finnish and Swedish leaders have said Russia’s invasion of Ukraine forced them to rethink their security stance, they’re now looking to do one of the things that allegedly triggered the current conflict: seeking NATO membership. Rather than reaping the expected peace dividend after the cold war ended in 1989, NATO extended its reach right up to Russia’s borders, breaking promises against eastward expansion. The bloc has added 14 new members since 1999, and Ukraine and another former Soviet republic, Georgia, have applied to be part of NATO’s next expansion wave.

Russian leaders have argued that having NATO members and strategic weapons deployed on their country's doorstep violates the principle of “indivisible security,” meaning neither the Western bloc nor Moscow should be allowed to strengthen its own security at the expense of the other party.

Russia attacked Ukraine following the neighboring state’s failure to implement the terms of the Minsk agreements, first signed in 2014, and Moscow’s eventual recognition of the Donbass republics of Donetsk and Lugansk. The German- and French-brokered Minsk Protocol was designed to give the breakaway regions special status within the Ukrainian state.

The Kremlin has since demanded that Ukraine officially declare itself a neutral country that will never join the US-led NATO military bloc. Kiev insists the Russian offensive was completely unprovoked and has denied claims it was planning to retake the two republics by force.

Source: https://www.rt.com/news/555456-finnisih-president-to-call-putin-on-nato-bid/

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by joyandfaith: 10:04pm On May 13, 2022
HenryWilliams:

The same way Ukraine assessed Russia and
found it weak?

And that is the reason Ukraine was demilitarised in 3 days. Oh i forget Ukraine weapons are now NATO standard.
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by sosanova: 10:12pm On May 13, 2022
Putin scored own goal

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by sosanova: 10:33pm On May 13, 2022
Hhh

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by Corporate2020: 10:37pm On May 13, 2022
He wants to notify his neighbor that he (Finland) wants to start intimate friendship with his neighbor's enemies. Anything your eyes see, najh you ask for am

1 Like

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by tempest01(m): 12:03am On May 14, 2022
Kingpin1000:
What does He want to tell Putin, you say you all want join NATO my enemy, I say I go remove my generator wire wey I take give you light, we no get any discussion. Just go buy power bank infact my number no dey ho through again_Putin
Kids
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by Detuner: 9:27am On May 14, 2022
Probably wasting his time. Turkey already said it would veto Finland joining NATO.

1 Like

Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by Nerogaming01(m): 9:59am On May 14, 2022
Kingpin1000:
grin werey
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by thejare(f): 10:03am On May 14, 2022
call him to tell him ,he wants to join NATO that he should back off
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by ObamaMessi: 10:10am On May 14, 2022
Putin thinks he is smart, but the west are smarter.It's now he understands that the US-led West played him into a fruitless war.
Re: NATO: Finland’s President To Call Putin – Media by tonididdy(m): 11:42am On May 14, 2022
Hmmmm sadly Russia maybe exhausted arsenal wise

Only available goto weapon is nuclear... If he dose my use it now before they sign, he will never use it again

(1) (Reply)

Trump Wins Again, As He Quickly Beats Nikki Haley In New Hampshire GOP Primary / The Bush Doctrine Is Provoking New Arms Race As Russian Launch New Missiles / Israeli Test On Worm Called Crucial In Iran Nuclear Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.